Why can "ask the lawyer" not answer questions on dual pricing

whatproblem

Dual pricing for products and services is in fact illegal and unconstitutional and has been for many years. That does not stop it from happening.

Really? If it was in the US--being the most litigious country in the world--I'd imagine there would be lawsuits every single day. Does not compute.

Dual pricing for products and services is in fact illegal and unconstitutional and has been for many years. That does not stop it from happening.

I don't believe the American Constitution covered dual pricing.

When it was asked in ask the lawyer if it was legal they said that because of the coup the constitution was suspended so they could not give an answer to the legality of it ,it that is the case how they can comment on the other issues asked about other laws if the constitution is suspended

The question asked was: Is dual-pricing illegal under The Thai 2007 constitution?

The Thai Civil and Commercial Code, The Thai Penal Code and other Acts and/ or Ministerial Orders which pertain to most questions asked of the lawyer were not suspended. The OP asked a question particularly related to the Thai Constitution.

Ok ,under The thai 2007!constitution is dual pricing illegal?

Moot point.

What the lawyer might have said -- presuming this is true -- is that there has never been a ruling by any Thai Court that under the Thai Civil and Commercial Code or any other Act or Ministerial Regulation let alone a Constitutional ruling in Thailand that such dual pricing is a violation of any Thai Law or constitutional provision.

Edited by JLCrab

Can't understand you OP.

Even if the lawyer tells you that dual pricing is illegal, what are you going to do?

Go there and tell them the lawyer on TV told me it is illegal.

I'm not paying you.

What do you think they will do?

I doubt very much they will let you pass.

So keep paying the higher price and stop complaining on TVF.

You won't get any sympathy.

• Like 2

Really? If it was in the US--being the most litigious country in the world--I'd imagine there would be lawsuits every single day. Does not compute.

I am not sure about that wink.png

Have you ever been to Disneyland Anaheim?

Price is lower if you have a Southern California Drivers license to enter

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

I am not sure about that wink.png

Have you ever been to Disneyland Anaheim?

Price is lower if you have a Southern California Drivers license to enter

Same at Disneyworld in Florida. Same at most State Universities that offer in State tuition.

• Like 2

Perhaps you're confused because it relates to my previous post. I'm suggesting that dual pricing is rampant in the US and if it was against the law, there would be lawsuits galore. The point is dual pricing occurs all over the world, not just Thailand.

Yes sorry neurological misfire wink.png

Mistook your meaning for 180 degree opposite

Agreed with you dual pricing is a fact in most countries

• Like 1

"The point is dual pricing occurs all over the world, not just Thailand."

Yes but not typically from private businesses for products or services.

The dual pricing most are talking about is because of tax paying residents to non tax paying.

There are hotels in Thailand that charge more for people of different races regardless of their resident status in the country.

Tickets and Passes for Florida Residents wdw.jpg

Florida Residents get incredible value on a variety of tickets and passes.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/florida-residents/

Great.. I would have no problem as long as foreigners that are residents can claim Thai price too. I must say in quite a large number of cases this is possible.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/florida-residents/validation-requirements/

This is how they overcharge the Japanese in Hawaii and Guam at bars and clubs. Show drivers license and get the "local discount". Once they get local ID they get the same discount too. No question.

Edited by arunsakda

Just get your GF to buy the tickets while you stand out of the way or hide in the trunk of the car when going into a National Park.

Maybe the OP should retain a lawyer he can take with him to said national park who can explain to the "gatekeeper" his clients human rights are being violated by this dual pricing ...wink.png

• Like 2

Why do you need to ask the lawyer? I would think all TV members would be experts on dual pricing since this topic has been covered a gazillion times already. Is the OP asking whether it's against the law? If it was, Thailand would be the only country on the planet that outlawed dual pricing. In the USA, we have dual pricing on all manner of things, from hotels, to parks, to golf green fees, to student tuition, etc., where locals pay a discounted rate. In the state of Hawaii, they even have a term for it--kamaaina discount, that is, discounts for locals. There are also senior discounts, student discounts, ladies night, etc., etc. Yes, that's all dual pricing.

And if the OP thinks it's a racial thing, Japanese/Koreans and other Asians get charged the same as farang tourists. If you are a farang living in Thailand with valid ID to prove it, then you should be getting the local rate. But if the sidewalk vendor decides to charge you more...well that's not right, but it's sort of the free market at work. Did I miss anything?

Only that fiction does not substitute for reality. Charging different prices by race is illegal in the United States.

It would be illegal to put a sign in a store in America that says

Whites $5

Blacks $10

Hispanics $12

This is not the same as offering discounts for people with local Driver Licenses or birthdays in May. What happens in Thailand with regards to overcharging foreigners would 100% be considered illegal and a violation of civil rights in the USA.

It would be illegal to put a sign in a store in America that says

Whites $5

Blacks $10

Hispanics $12

This is not the same as offering discounts for people with local Driver Licenses or birthdays in May. What happens in Thailand with regards to overcharging foreigners would 100% be considered illegal and a violation of civil rights in the USA.

thailand is not discriminating based on race. its based on nationality and many countries do that, usa included.

• Like 1

"The point is dual pricing occurs all over the world, not just Thailand."

Yes but not typically from private businesses for products or services.

The dual pricing most are talking about is because of tax paying residents to non tax paying.

There are hotels in Thailand that charge more for people of different races regardless of their resident status in the country.

show us which hotels

Believe it or not there are many hotels in Thailand that charge Thais more than Falungs because it's quite common practice for a Thai couple to turn up at the hotel, book a room and then the whole family arrives.

I remember the Royal Orchid Sheraton Bangkok giving special offers for foreign couples only.

Believe it or not there are many hotels in Thailand that charge Thais more than Falungs because it's quite common practice for a Thai couple to turn up at the hotel, book a room and then the whole family arrives.

I remember the Royal Orchid Sheraton Bangkok giving special offers for foreign couples only.

That's right. The guy who owns our condo, also owns and rents out 7 or 8 others. He wants to rent to expat/expat couples or older expat females. No Thai people or expat guy/Thai female couples because he's had a bad history with those tenants trashing out his condos.