Koh Tao murders: Myanmar worker confesses killing British tourists

webfact

While being in the country illegally might be a reason (have the cops been locking up /deporting all the illegals they are questioning?), I find it odd these guys did not come forward earlier to say they were the ones on the beach playing guitar/singing and that they saw nothing or did see something. Then again find it odd a couple of them stuck around on the island if they did know there DNA was left at the scene.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they David and Hannah were having sex on the beach then why has does the DNA on the sperm match 2 Asians and not once as it mentioned as being of a Caucasian.

The fact they try and make the victims look immoral after their deaths shows the Thai way of thinking.

Wrong , they maybe tried to have sex but was interrupted by the killer. So David never started, but the condom was there.

This is a scenario that is very possible.

Independent investigation absolutely necessary to confirm DNA results. Thai police simply cannot be trusted with something as imortant as this. Catching people not wearing motorbike helmets is one thing, condemning 3 people to a life behind bars or worse is another. Also what of the victims families if they are fobbed off with some convenient scapegoats ? The British goverment must demand an independent investigation to corroborate the RTP results.

What do you think is more important to the British government, the lives of two of it's own citizens or a continued good relationship with Thailand? To me the answer to this is obvious. Britain will never put any serious pressure on Thailand over this. IMO, of course.

You underestimate the resolve of HMG. The embassy defers to its masters, ie FCO London.

Ambassador Mark Kent just met with Police Commissioner General Somyot.

He offered tech expertise to help examine CCTV footage (that means HMG are suspicious) and to help with DNA testing. We know why.

Gen Somyot does not say if RTP have accepted the offer or not. Maybe hoping they can "solve" it first.

He does confirm that the Ambassador has accepted an invitation to visit Koh Tao to check on investigation. They want him in the photo opp as they finger point the "confessed" perps.

FCO also managed to elicit not one but 2 apologies from PM over bikini comments. Anglo-Thai relations are at their lowest ebb since WW2. HMG does not give a flying fig about relationship with this military junta but it does care about the safety of its subjects visiting or resident in LOSt..imho

Thai Police find a suspect who confesses and you still don't believe it.

I know a thai person could not do these crimes.

The other day a Taxi Driver spoke of how the "Thai" police offered him 700,000 thb for a false confession.

AND

If a "Thai person" could rape a young girl on a train and then throw her out the window why would you speak such foolishness?? Does being "Thai" make someone better in some way than every other race of humans?

Please re-think your view here. Show a little common sense!

We dont know if this is a true story , it was never reported by the Thai media except a local online news site .

If someone really believe there is any truth in this , it cant be that hard for a journalist to track down the driver and find out what really happened.

Well, one thing, this has exposed to the outside world just how corrupt the Thai police are. With 2000 illegal persons working on the island all having to pay 500 bht each per month to the police just to be left alone. That is probably 5 days wages per month, a couple of million Bht going into the pockets of the police. Another point is that the very people who are supposed to be upholding the countries laws, are actually encouraging and aiding others to break these laws, so this makes the police criminals. Now then Mr Prayuth ( the new PM) you have been saying that you are going to stamp out corruption, are you going to sack these corrupt police or just send them to the usual inactive post, another way of saying "Promote them"

The world already knows exactly what this country is like. The CIA amongst others have been operating here for decades & are well aware of everything that goes on here.

The problem is that thailand is a pivotal pawn on the world stage & it knows it & uses that fact in much the same way as a child plays one parent off against the other after a divorce to get what it wants.

Personally I think it's time the west gave up with trying to befriend this country because they will never achieve it. Thailand is Asian through & through & really does hate western people, they will choose the Chinese in the end.

I really don't believe that they have anything to offer us either apart from bacteria ridden noodle stalls & disrespect.

The beaches are better in the Caribbean & the people are nicer. Go there instead.

Edited by ScubaPhuket

If they David and Hannah were having sex on the beach then why has does the DNA on the sperm match 2 Asians and not once as it mentioned as being of a Caucasian.

The fact they try and make the victims look immoral after their deaths shows the Thai way of thinking.

Wrong , they maybe tried to have sex but was interrupted by the killer. So David never started, but the condom was there.

This is a scenario that is very possible.

So he took his shorts off. Left his shoes on.

One shoe was found in one of the drags marks leading to the water so it's clear he had both shoes on at the time. And one shoe was still on his foot.

Now I can assure you when you are fortunate to be in that situation the shoes always come off FIRST. Then the tshirt. Then whatever is left from there . No question.

Hannah was dragged to be raped around a rocky enclave which is where the confirm was found. David was already in the water by that stage. We know this already.

Why am I not suprised a Burmese man got pulled in and forced to confess? This stinks of a set up. The international pressure on the police meant this was going to happen.

When you know that about 80% of the people working on Koh Tao are immigrants from neighbouring countries, especially from Burma , I am not surprised the killer is a Burmese.

Why am I not suprised a Burmese man got pulled in and forced to confess? This stinks of a set up. The international pressure on the police meant this was going to happen.

When you know that about 80% of the people working on Koh Tao are immigrants from neighbouring countries, especially from Burma , I am not surprised the killer is a Burmese.

Nonesense

Independent investigation absolutely necessary to confirm DNA results. Thai police simply cannot be trusted with something as imortant as this. Catching people not wearing motorbike helmets is one thing, condemning 3 people to a life behind bars or worse is another. Also what of the victims families if they are fobbed off with some convenient scapegoats ? The British goverment must demand an independent investigation to corroborate the RTP results.

What do you think is more important to the British government, the lives of two of it's own citizens or a continued good relationship with Thailand? To me the answer to this is obvious. Britain will never put any serious pressure on Thailand over this. IMO, of course.

You underestimate the resolve of HMG. The embassy defers to its masters, ie FCO London.

He offered tech expertise to help examine CCTV footage (that means HMG are suspicious) and to help with DNA testing. We know why.

Gen Somyot does not say if RTP have accepted the offer or not. Maybe hoping they can "solve" it first.

He does confirm that the Ambassador has accepted an invitation to visit Koh Tao to check on investigation. They want him in the photo opp as they finger point the "confessed" perps.

FCO also managed to elicit not one but 2 apologies from PM over bikini comments. Anglo-Thai relations are at their lowest ebb since WW2. HMG does not give a flying fig about relationship with this military junta but it does care about the safety of its subjects visiting or resident in LOSt..imho

I believe that Pol Gen Somyot also implied that "British authorities would not interfere in the investigation" and that, "...the visit by the ambassador was not seen at pressing Thailand to find the killers."

Why are reports from Post and Nation so different and despite the former being posted later the latter has not been amended regarding its claims of "confession". It seems that the migrant workers confessed to being one of the people in one of the images taken from CCTV that night and not to murder. This has then had a horrible knock on effect which has even caused the BBC to mis-report because of terrible dissemination of information and misleading statements.

I believe that Pol Gen Somyot also implied that "British authorities would not interfere in the investigation" and that, "...the visit by the ambassador was not seen at pressing Thailand to find the killers."

Why are reports from Post and Nation so different and despite the former being posted later the latter has not been amended regarding its claims of "confession". It seems that the migrant workers confessed to being one of the people in one of the images taken from CCTV that night and not to murder. This has then had a horrible knock on effect which has even caused the BBC to mis-report because of terrible dissemination of information and misleading statements.

Do the BBC get their news from Thai Visa?

Do the BBC get their news from Thai Visa?

You can bet Jonathan Head has an account here, he's been here longer than most.

DNA is key. Dissemination of the other 2 minutes of footage that the police will not release from the CCTV is also pointing to something other than what we are being led to believe. FB page for CSI LA - watch the little footage that is available that has been recoloured I agree with other posters it looks like two people are in front. One looks to be a woman with long hair

Collective hallucination perhaps ? I'm not sure.

When you travel overseas you are on your own. Not many people understand this, they think their country/embassy will protect them

Yes of course there are certain risks involved in travelling, however this does not have any bearing on how an investigation such as this should be handled. What you are saying is that it's perfectly acceptable for the untrustworthy and inept Thai police to fob the families and public off with absolutely any old rubbish, just to get the job done and dusted before the all important high season. That looks to be the case and you are right but it doesn't make it anymore palatable. Let's have a big cheer for Thainess winning the day yet again.

All embassies should update their travel advise. Foreigners should now be prepared to get arrested for crimes they did not commit. Investigations are such a nuisance, though. Why do they have to be performed vigilantly every time something happens? It makes no sense in the land of many scapegoats.

Edited by Sirbergan

This has just made its way from the "Trasher" page onto CSI LA too....

The message is originally posted on Trasher by a Thai going by the handle of Matt Dylan - you can find his comment on Trasher, but a shot of it and a translation are on CSI LA.

"Come and ask me here. Come and ask me there. I am a Koh Tao resident, although my mom gave birth to me at Surat Tani. My family is very close to all the influential figures on this island, including the owner of this resort.

I want to tell the truth. I can't hold it any longer. I would like to tell "Trasher Page" that the murderers are not Burmese."That's all I want to say" and What "CSI LA Page" published, it is very close to the truth 97.8769%.

I would like to say that Koh Tao is just like a Kingdom of its own. The local mafia family can do whatever they want and get away with it. For example, in 2011, a bar owner got shot to death. Everybody in the island know who did it, but never had the nerve to speak out. People here are strange. They are wiling to cover up wrong doing for the local mafia. Thailand might be a democratic country, but in Koh Tao it is Feudalism.
"

"But Win later admitted that he saw the two tourists having sex so he made the attack with a plan to rape the woman."

Except they've said that David's DNA was not found as evidence of the rape. The DNA of 2 others was found instead. Sounds like a coerced confession to me.

This has just made its way from the "Trasher" page onto CSI LA too....

The message is originally posted on Trasher by a Thai going by the handle of Matt Dylan - you can find his comment on Trasher, but a shot of it and a translation are on CSI LA.

"Come and ask me here. Come and ask me there. I am a Koh Tao resident, although my mom gave birth to me at Surat Tani. My family is very close to all the influential figures on this island, including the owner of this resort.

I want to tell the truth. I can't hold it any longer. I would like to tell "Trasher Page" that the murderers are not Burmese."That's all I want to say" and What "CSI LA Page" published, it is very close to the truth 97.8769%.

I would like to say that Koh Tao is just like a Kingdom of its own. The local mafia family can do whatever they want and get away with it. For example, in 2011, a bar owner got shot to death. Everybody in the island know who did it, but never had the nerve to speak out. People here are strange. They are wiling to cover up wrong doing for the local mafia. Thailand might be a democratic country, but in Koh Tao it is Feudalism."

Beats the 85% rate we were provided by the coppers

So which parts is he referring to I have to ask. There is so much on csi la but sadly I didn't choose to marry a Thai woman and have no live in translator :(

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I will believe it when the DNA results is a match.

I won't even believe it then, as they can [and do] tamper with, loose and misplace results any time it's convenient for them.

What is needed at this point is some international human rights investigation into the farce of the current investigation, but sadly the Myanmar government doesn't believe in human rights.............

And It wouldn't surprise me at all if a Burma slave worker would confess to a crime he didn't commit if a generous gift was promised to his dirt poor family back home.

Do you really think Thailand will lie about this when the whole world is watching ? We are going to follow the trial here , it will not be an easy ride for the Burmese , thats for sure.

Even if Thailand has a lot of problems with corruption lets face the facts here.

On Koh Tao about 80% of the workers are immigrants , not Thais. So there is a bigger chance an immigrant did this than a Thai just by looking at the numbers,

Most "detectives" on Thaivisa here already sentenced the headmans family , because he is rich and wealthy and can do whatever he wants and buy anything and anyone. am sure he is guilty of a lot of corruption but to kill another human being just like that is not something anyone can do.

So we have an arrest , and if the DNA matches on him and his two friends I am willing to believe it , he is probably also the guy from the CCTV footage.

You may not like it but I do not think Thailand will risk this on a scapegoat when the whole world is watching , we will follow the trial and the severe sentences, wether it'll be a death penalty or a life in prison .

Edited by balo

Soon it will be illegal to post against Thais so get it off your chest now. You may be the next suspect who is made to confess. What a sad place for a vacation or holiday or life.

There is no humanity here. I'm so sad after being here for 9 years. Good luck to the Thaier than Thais who stay.

I'm in search for cleaner beaches and less scum and scams. Immigration should pay us every 90 days for all we spend and give to this place. Trust me the power of the internet will destroy this facade of LOS. The smiles are as phoney as the police investigations.

adjusted the CCTV's color provided by the police. It appears that there was somebody who was walking in front of him when he was walking back. Why did police edited out the missing 2 minutes?

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=707139219363806&set=vb.596740650403664&type=2&theater

Two people. If you watch it looks like a dude to the left and a girl with long hair on the right.

It took me a while to see it too.... At the suggestion of a poster I took a few takes to realise it does appear to be two people.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I won't even believe it then, as they can [and do] tamper with, loose and misplace results any time it's convenient for them.

What is needed at this point is some international human rights investigation into the farce of the current investigation, but sadly the Myanmar government doesn't believe in human rights.............

And It wouldn't surprise me at all if a Burma slave worker would confess to a crime he didn't commit if a generous gift was promised to his dirt poor family back home.

Do you really think Thailand will lie about this when the whole world is watching ? We are going to follow the trial here , it will not be an easy ride for the Burmese , thats for sure.

Even if Thailand has a lot of problems with corruption lets face the facts here.

On Koh Tao about 80% of the workers are immigrants , not Thais. So there is a bigger chance an immigrant did this than a Thai just by looking at the numbers,

Most "detectives" on Thaivisa here already sentenced the headmans family , because he is rich and wealthy and can do whatever he wants and buy anything and anyone. am sure he is guilty of a lot of corruption but to kill another human being just like that is not something anyone can do.

So we have an arrest , and if the DNA matches on him and his two friends I am willing to believe it , he is probably also the guy from the CCTV footage.

You may not like it but I do not think Thailand will risk this on a scapegoat when the whole world is watching , we will follow the trial and the severe sentences, wether it'll be a death penalty or a life in prison .

Sorry mate you're dead wrong. We couldn't care a jot if whoever did this was wealthy or not.

That's the police officers way of looking at this if you hadn't noticed

We care about due process and arresting actual perps. Not convenient ones.

Debacle.

Does anyone know what happened to Sean McAnna ,. was it his body they found floating off Koh Samet?

That`s a very good question! I have been looking about what happend to him after he left Koh Tao.

He was always seen wearing a black\grey t-shirt and shorts. He said he was going to leave to another Island on a boat where no one knew him. And from there make his way to the airport.

He (Sean) told to the journalists that he was being approached on by 3 asian men who knew that Sean knew David (the victim). They asked him some questions and he answerd, he was also drunk when he answerd these questions, he said. The 3 asian men then told him that they knew he killed them (Hannah and David) and that he had 2 peoples death`s in his hands.

The video if the interview is here:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/T-crgOK3QOw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

News about the dead tourist outside Koh Samet: 29/ Sep/ 2014

Body of Male Foreigner Found off the Coast of Koh Samet Island

The body of an unidentified "foreigner" was reportedly found off the coast of Koh Samet island on Sunday. According to Khaosod English, "police described the deceased as a male 170-cm-tall Caucasian wearing a black T-shirt and short black pants at the time of his death. Police say they found a wound caused by a blunt object on the back of his head and 'numerous' bruises on his body, suggesting that he was murdered before being dumped into the sea. The incident is under investigation."

You must be jolking , please do not make it worse than it is.

Sean McAnna is safe back home in Scotland where he's been for over one week . He deleted his facebook profile only a few days ago because of all the spam (messages ) he got there. Ask his family where he is if you dont believe me.

Please end this now.

Sorry mate you're dead wrong. We couldn't care a jot if whoever did this was wealthy or not.

That's the police officers way of looking at this if you hadn't noticed

We care about due process and arresting actual perps. Not convenient ones.

Debacle.