How reliable is the new Royal Enfield 500?

dagling

My assessment would be 'very reliable'. I rode one for a month in India and Nepal - that was an Indian one, which I guess it what you're talking about, rather than an original British made one.

In the UK my dad has about 6 original Royal Enfield Bullet 350s, and they're amazingly reliable. He prefers his road one to his 650 BSA, 650 Triumph, 400 Honda 4 and 500 Triumph in terms of ease of maintenance and general day to day reliability.

• Like 1

Are these now being sold in Thailand at reasonable money, if so I will start saving?

If the Indians run them in the Himalayas 3 miles up they must be good, they can also fix them at the side of the road with a knife and fork, that's the bike for me.

I understand they are still the best selling bike in India, that can't be an accident, but the last time I looked they were silly money here.

App 240.000 baht according to a facebook link I found.

https://www.facebook.com/.../Royal-Enfield-Thailand/15700021431120...

Breaking News/ Thailand Typical Marketing Propaganda for Make a BUZZ or Reality....??? It look like than in October 2014 an Official Royal Enfield Store will open in Thailand...Let see what's happens. Anyway Here is The First Price List available.

1.Royal Enfield Bullet 500cc B5 - 233600 Bahts Only..
2.Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500cc - 240200 Bahts Only.
3.Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500cc...
See More

These bikes have no connection to the original. They are made in India with a RE sticker on them.

I have no idea regarding reliability all I can say is they are built using Indian tech, materials and labour in India.

These bikes have no connection to the original. They are made in India with a RE sticker on them.

I have no idea regarding reliability all I can say is they are built using Indian tech, materials and labour in India.

but they are on the roads for 60 years.

and indian labour and materials is better than Chinese.

• Like 2

Yep, indian mechanics are famous for their world class standards. Forget the chinese crap, even worser than thai made...

264760_130113960407188_112811402137444_2

Edited by wantan

Correct the British made bikes have been going strong in India for a very long time and a whole industry has grown up around maintaining them.

However I don't have that much faith in India's ability to cast engine blocks and forge pistons to tight tolerances expected by modern standards.

Look at the quality of KTM's coming out of India? Of course I maybe wrong.

Correct the British made bikes have been going strong in India for a very long time and a whole industry has grown up around maintaining them.

However I don't have that much faith in India's ability to cast engine blocks and forge pistons to tight tolerances expected by modern standards.

of course dont expect tight tolerances and quality of a japanese bike or panigale but it goes can be fixed fast and cheap.

Royal Enfield India have been producing the Bullet in India since 1955 when Royal Enfield GB, to reduce the cost of sending the parts to India which were then assembled into complete bikes for it's customer the Indian Army, set up a parent company there and shipped the manufacturing tooling across to the factory in Madras. When Royal Enfield GB folded the Indian factory continued with it's motorcycle production. There were actually very few British built Bullets exported to India. I rode a couple of Bullets, a petrol and then a diesel thousands of miles around Bombay and up into Kashmir without missing a beat. The latest models are produced in a state of the art factory from high grade materials and have received very positive reviews for both build quality and reliability. Why don't you have faith in India's ability to cast engine blocks and forge pistons? The fact that they build and send rockets into space is proof of their engineering ability. The Indians are as excellent engineers as they are doctors and soldiers thanks to retaining British teaching systems following independence.

Ok to tell you the truth I think India is a cesspit and I don't want to buy 60 year old technology. Yes I have been there.

The OP asked someone to respond that has owned one or knows someone that has owned one. You don't fit into either category so next time respond to something you know something about. Yes, the Royal Enfield, are made in India are built using Indian tech, materials and labour in India and yes, you have no idea about their reliability. Wrong, they are connected with the original Royal Enfield., What on earth is an RE Sticker?

• Like 2

Royal Enfield India have been producing the Bullet in India since 1955 when Royal Enfield GB, to reduce the cost of sending the parts to India which were then assembled into complete bikes for it's customer the Indian Army, set up a parent company there and shipped the manufacturing tooling across to the factory in Madras. When Royal Enfield GB folded the Indian factory continued with it's motorcycle production. There were actually very few British built Bullets exported to India. I rode a couple of Bullets, a petrol and then a diesel thousands of miles around Bombay and up into Kashmir without missing a beat. The latest models are produced in a state of the art factory from high grade materials and have received very positive reviews for both build quality and reliability. Why don't you have faith in India's ability to cast engine blocks and forge pistons? The fact that they build and send rockets into space is proof of their engineering ability. The Indians are as excellent engineers as they are doctors and soldiers thanks to retaining British teaching systems following independence.

Ok to tell you the truth I think India is a cesspit and I don't want to buy 60 year old technology. Yes I have been there.

And more truth is you have only joined in this post because you are a narrow minded racist bigot who knows nothing about the subject and thought it was a good way to demean one of your prejudices..You had to say you had been there, when no one was asking you, a bit like an antisemite slandering Jews and in the next breath saying you have Jewish friends.

Edited by aussiebrian
  • Like 2

A friend has a new style one with electric start and 5 gears.I tried it and thought it was a vaste improvent over the last one i rode a 1982 model that broke down all the time and untill was rebuilt using British big end and bearings was one of the worst machines I ever bought. even my 175 cz was better and just as fast.

And more truth is you have only joined in this post because you are a narrow minded racist bigot who knows nothing about the subject and thought it was a good way to demean one of your prejudices..You had to say you had been there, when no one was asking you, a bit like an antisemite slandering Jews and in the next breath saying you have Jewish friends.

Well I do know Jews who don't like Indians are they anti-Semite? I don't mind a chicken madras now and then though, if that's any consolation.

• 4 years later...
On 10/2/2014 at 11:16 PM, guzzi850m2 said:

App 240.000 baht according to a facebook link I found.

https://www.facebook.com/.../Royal-Enfield-Thailand/15700021431120...

Breaking News/ Thailand Typical Marketing Propaganda for Make a BUZZ or Reality....??? It look like than in October 2014 an Official Royal Enfield Store will open in Thailand...Let see what's happens. Anyway Here is The First Price List available.

1.Royal Enfield Bullet 500cc B5 - 233600 Bahts Only..
2.Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500cc - 240200 Bahts Only.
3.Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500cc...
See More

Just to bring this thread up to date, current price of a new Bullet 500 in Thailand is 179,500 baht.

On 10/3/2014 at 8:09 PM, ATF said:

Last week KTM won the Dakar rally, 10 days and 5000 Km's this year a lot of sand dunes ...........for the 17th time on the trot, I would say the quality would be as good as the parent Austrian company.

I would say the RE's, with to-days technology, they would be as good as any other modern bike, I would have one, a good bike for Thailand, with the bad roads etc, have had a look at one, Lopburi has a dealership. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kickstart said:

Last week KTM won the Dakar rally, 10 days and 5000 Km's this year a lot of sand dunes ...........for the 17th time on the trot, I would say the quality would be as good as the parent Austrian company.

I would say the RE's, with to-days technology, they would be as good as any other modern bike, I would have one, a good bike for Thailand, with the bad roads etc, have had a look at one, Lopburi has a dealership. 

KTM had 18 straight wins