Using Frequent Flyer Miles

sbk

I have enough frequent flyer miles with United for a return flight to the US. Does anyone know if I will have any difficulty in redeeming them from here? I may need to go home for a family problem in Sept and would like to use my miles if I can.

Anyone had any experience with this?

I have no experience with United, but use mileage all the time for upgrading or sent the wife, b4 also the son, to somewhere on TG and/or CX.

For TG talk/communicate with them in BKK, CX via internet-booking and e-mail to their member-center in HKG.

Generally, do get e-tickets or have to take a Y-ticket to CX BKK to get the upgrade.

Believe it should be the same with United, log into their web-site with your member number and go from there.

Edited by Axel

I have enough frequent flyer miles with United for a return flight to the US. Does anyone know if I will have any difficulty in redeeming them from here?

You should also consider flying to/from Singapore. It's often easier to book award tickets in and out of Singapore as it doesn't seem to be as popular a holiday destination as Bangkok.

Thanks for the help, and the Singapore one is a good tip. I've never redeemed my frequent flyer miles (have been saving up for the big one) so, if it appears I reallly need to go home, it will have been worth it.

I've contacted the Thailand office of United so I will post back here with their answer.

Again, no specific experience with United, but the local offices of both American and Delta have always been very helpful to me in using miles accumulated on those carriers. In fact, it's always seemed to me to be far easier to use US mileage from Bangkok than it is from the US. Generally here you can find someone who is willing to be very helpful and will let you sit with them until sort through all the possibilites for you and find one that works. In the US, you're just dealing with a minimum wage employee over the phone who generally can't wait to get rid of you and makes it quite clear that they don't give a ###### whether you get where you want to go or not.

United Airlines has a ticketing office in Bangkok on Wireless Road. They can easily book the trip for you. Remember if you have united miles they can be redeemed on other Star Alliance carries, ie, Singapore, Thai, Asiana, and United. I have booked many trips using my miles to the US, no problems in getting seats and destinations. Just need to have a little flexibility.

Well, I still have awhile to go before I know or not (good thing too, no response from United yet!) but regardless, if I don't go home in Sept then I will use them next year for sure.

Thanks for the tips, I may try phoning United direct if I don't end up hearing from them as I don't really know any great travel agents :o

Well, I still have awhile to go before I know or not (good thing too, no response from United yet!) but regardless, if I don't go home in Sept then I will use them next year for sure.

Thanks for the tips, I may try phoning United direct if I don't end up hearing from them as I don't really know any great travel agents :o

Deal directely with the United Ticket Office in Bangkok, they are knowledgeable, and can book trips using your miles on all star alliance carriers. Avoid using the UAL website to try and book award flights. The web site just does not work that well. Allways shows no availability. If you need United's phone number let me know.

Deal directely with the United Ticket Office in Bangkok, they are knowledgeable, and can book trips using your miles on all star alliance carriers. Avoid using the UAL website to try and book award flights. The web site just does not work that well. Allways shows no availability. If you need United's phone number let me know.

I'll be sure and do that, thanks for the advice. I believe I have it already, if its the same one listed on the site that is! (because, lets face it, you never know if the info is correct :D )

I am a pretty hardcore UA flyer ( 1 million flight miles ) so have a lot of experience redeeming UA miles for travel on both UA and their Star Alliance partners.

For UA metal flights (operated by UA on UA aircraft, so BKK-NRT-USA) you have a choice of Saver awards (60/90/120 k miles in Y/C/F Y=economy, C= business class and F=first class) with extremely limited availability or Standard awards (100/150/200 k miles in Y/C/F) which are always available provided there are revenue seats available.

Another option is to redeem UA miles for Star Alliance awards, which opens up a lot more options, and at the Saver level (60/90/120).

A final option is to route via Europe (BKK-FRA-USA) which costs a bit more, (70/105/140 k miles), but you can have a stopover in Europe. (I do this often as I go to the east coast, so it's quicker/easier/1-stop.)

The UA CTO (City Ticket Office, Sindhorn Building, 14th floor. tower 3) is extremely adept at issuing award tickets; I've had five issued in the past 12 months. They require your passport, and you have to pay the taxes and fees in THB.

UA in Thailand

What is your destination? How many seats? What class of service? How many miles do you have/want to spend?

There are additional fees to issue award tickets, other than via their UA.com website (which can't be used for non-UA flights!), and fees to cancel/redeposit miles. Once travel starts on a Star Alliance award no changes an be made.

Many people arrange award travel 330 days in advance; try to make a go/no-go decision as soon as possible.

You can PM me for additional help.

Edited by lomatopo

I am a pretty hardcore UA flyer ( 1 million flight miles ) so have a lot of experience redeeming UA miles for travel on both UA and their Star Alliance partners.

For UA metal flights (operated by UA on UA aircraft, so BKK-NRT-USA) you have a choice of Saver awards (60/90/120 k miles in Y/C/F Y=economy, C= business class and F=first class) with extremely limited availability or Standard awards (100/150/200 k miles in Y/C/F) which are always available provided there are revenue seats available.

Another option is to redeem UA miles for Star Alliance awards, which opens up a lot more options, and at the Saver level (60/90/120).

A final option is to route via Europe (BKK-FRA-USA) which costs a bit more, (70/105/140 k miles), but you can have a stopover in Europe. (I do this often as I go to the east coast, so it's quicker/easier/1-stop.)

The UA CTO (City Ticket Office, Sindhorn Building, 14th floor. tower 3) is extremely adept at issuing award tickets; I've had five issued in the past 12 months. They require your passport, and you have to pay the taxes and fees in THB.

UA in Thailand

What is your destination? How many seats? What class of service? How many miles do you have/want to spend?

There are additional fees to issue award tickets, other than via their UA.com website (which can't be used to non-UA flights!), and fees to cancel/redeposit miles. Once travel starts on a Star Alliance award no changes an be made.

Many people arrange award travel 330 days in advance; try to make a go/no-go decision as soon as possible.

You can PM me for additional help.

Thanks, I may do that. I'll know within a month if I go in Sept or not. I know short notice but do you think a family emergency may carry any weight with the staff or not? My mom is ill and may need some caretaking, is the problem. Just not sure how she'll go yet, is all.

I know short notice but do you think a family emergency may carry any weight with the staff or not?

I doubt it, unless you have elite frequent flier status with the airline and even then, it's not really up to the staff you'll be dealing with. Award seats are added to the system elsewhere. At least that's how it works with Northwest and I doubt that UAL operates all that differently. I'm approaching two million earned miles with NW. That opens up some doors for me but honestly, getting what you want with award tickets is more about planning in advance, knowing the rules/system, being flexible, and being familiar with alternate/partner airline routings.

Staff have no ability to override award inventory so any extenuating circumstances will not be advantageous. There is an exception to this with paid fares on UA in that there are "emergency/bereavement" fares available...

Quote:

Do you have any emergency or bereavement rates/discounts?

United offers emergency fares for different situations. You cannot obtain these fares on united.com and must call United Reservations at 1-800-United-1 (1-800-864-8331).

If you have enough miles for the Standard award (100/150/200 in Y/C/F), then last minute travel will generally not be a problem, as these are always available if there are revenue seats still being sold. You'd have to fly on UA, BKK-NRT-USA (connecting through SEA/SFO/LAX/ORD/JFK to your final destination). And last minute award travel on Star Alliance partners sometimes works to yuor advantage as they do open up more inventory as the departure date approaches. Getting a Saver award on UA metal (UA flight number/UA aircraft) can be challenging ex-BKK.

And last minute award travel on Star Alliance partners sometimes works to yuor advantage as they do open up more inventory as the departure date approaches. Getting a Saver award on UA metal (UA flight number/UA aircraft) can be challenging ex-BKK.

Same with Northwest on both counts.

They do open more award seats close to the departure date but obviously, that's taking a chance. I suppose that in sbk's proposed scenario, that could work to her advantage if she waits 'til the last minute because she could always opt to purchase a (revenue) ticket if nothing is open as an award seat.

Getting a standard award to/from BKK is tough unless one plans way in advance. That's why I suggested Singapore earlier in the thread. I suppose Kuala Lumpur is another option but I'm not familiar with what Star Alliance runs in/out of KUL other than the obvious connecting flights on TG and SQ.

For what it's worth, I've actually found that booking an award ticket on a NW partner is easier than booking a ticket on NW itself. That might also be the same with UA.

Hi SBK,

Lomatopo knows whats he speaks . I fly United from the U.S. to BKK often . Not the million mile mark but a hefty 1/4 million under my seatbelt . They will try to route you thru Hong Kong on Thai and then you flight to the states . Also not all days are open as they say they are .

I have found that going to the United office on wireless rd. is the only way to get something done and I felt safer about it.

I just returned to the states on a free ticket and the fee was less than 20 bucks.

Edited by Jeff1

SBK,

It should not be a problem. You can call United on their toll free number for free (using Skype), and you can ask a phone rep all your questions and be 100% sure that you are understood.. (who might be a minimum wage worker, but more than likely I am sure will be friendly and helpful).

Although there are only so many seats available for frequent flier redemption, if this is a family emergency, and you explain it to the phone rep, I'll bet they will do anything they can (even if it means re-routing you through a different country) to get you home.

They will issue you an e-ticket, charge your credit card the processing fee and send you the confirmation by email.

Edited by LaReina

SBK,

It should not be a problem. You can call United on their toll free number for free (using Skype), and you can ask a phone rep all your questions and be 100% sure that you are understood.. (who might be a minimum wage worker, but more than likely I am sure will be friendly and helpful).

Although there are only so many seats available for frequent flier redemption, if this is a family emergency, and you explain it to the phone rep, I'll bet they will do anything they can (even if it means re-routing you through a different country) to get you home.

They will issue you an e-ticket, charge your credit card the processing fee and send you the confirmation by email.

UA moved their call centers (with a few exceptions) to India last year, and the general response has been pretty negative. I would not call UA/MP (International Award Reservations: 1 888 674 4680, routed back to India) to issue an award ticket originating in Bangkok. As mentioned previously, deal directly with the UA CTO in Bangkok.

On UA Standard Awards are not capacity controlled. That means if there is a seat for sale, and there usually is even on the "short-straw" flight, BKK-NRT, then you can redeem an award.

Quote:

Standard awards give you the flexibility to fly at any time seats are available for the flight and cabin of service you request. Blackout dates and capacity-control restrictions do not apply.

Standard awards are more costly, 100/150/200 k miles in Y/C/F. I had to redeem a 200K award two years ago, for emergency, last-minute travel.

For award travel on UA, and most Star Alliance carriers, an e-ticket can be issued. However, if an award travel segment is on TG then a paper ticket needs to issued, at least it did as of 6 weeks ago.

On UA Standard Awards are not capacity controlled. That means if there is a seat for sale, and there usually is even on the "short-straw" flight, BKK-NRT, then you can redeem an award.

Standard awards are more costly, 100/150/200 k miles in Y/C/F. I had to redeem a 200K award two years ago, for emergency, last-minute travel.

Ahhh, my bad. I am accustomed to using this terminology in a different manner. Northwest and United use these descriptions opposite of each other (i.e. on NW the "standard" award is the cheap one and what they used to call a "rule buster" award is the expensive, non-capacity controlled one).

Edited by ovenman

• 2 weeks later...

An update, I do have to go home after all and called United in Bangkok. The first lady told me that all flights were full until the end of Sept. Then we somehow got disconnected :o I called back to get a man who was more than helpful. I told him my mother was ill and was going to have surgery (which is true) and that I needed to get home to help her. He got my details and called me back with flights to the US on partner airlines and the return flight with UAL. He was extremely helpful and polite. Took me about 15 minutes to book everything. Fantastic service from him and terrible service from the previous lady.

So, just goes to show you that if you get lucky and get the right person, things will turn out alright

So, just goes to show you that if you get lucky and get the right person, things will turn out alright

I've always found that to be true when dealing with the airlines. If you are not receiving satisfaction from the person to whom you are speaking (and your request is not something unreasonable), it's best just to call back later and speak to somebody else.

The India situation with United is pretty dire. I spent about 20 minutes just trying to find out how long I was laying over in Denver on a recent flight. After putting me on hold forever, the agent got back and told me there was a short layover of only one hour and 80 minutes (?!*!).

I did have good luck using United's online booking for a RT between the US and BKK. In my case, I booked about 5 months out on a super-saver and there was availability for any day I wanted.

Glad your situation worked out for you.

An update, I do have to go home after all and called United in Bangkok. The first lady told me that all flights were full until the end of Sept. Then we somehow got disconnected :o I called back to get a man who was more than helpful. I told him my mother was ill and was going to have surgery (which is true) and that I needed to get home to help her. He got my details and called me back with flights to the US on partner airlines and the return flight with UAL. He was extremely helpful and polite. Took me about 15 minutes to book everything. Fantastic service from him and terrible service from the previous lady.

Happy to hear about the positive results. Can you share the itinerary/carriers? What class of service? How many miles were required? I am interested in data points for future reference. Were you able to use a credit card to pay the taxes and fees? Is a paper ticket required?

As mentioned previously there are three types of awards on UA, Saver (which must be on all UA metal/aircraft, limited availability), Standard (which must be on all UA metal, no restrictions on availability) and a Star Alliance award (which can be on any combination of *A partner, including UA, subject to availability).

It sounds as though you got a Star Alliance award which is good as these are priced at the same level as a Saver award (60/90/120k miles in Y/C/F, transpacific).

One thing to be aware of is that Star Alliance awards cannot be changed once travel has commenced. And generally these rules are strictly adhered to, by both UA and partner airlines. Having said that your itinerary, USA-BKK all on UA, offers the best chance were you to have to make a change due to an emergency. Since your return is all on UA they are the most likely of all carriers to allow a change. If you have to try and change your return you might contact UA/MP International Award Reservations, at 1 888 674 4680, UA Int'l Res at 1 800 538 2929 or 1 312 364 1989, and even consider calling back to the UA CTO in Bangkok (remembering their office hours).

My best guess is that the first agent first looked at Saver awards and saw that these were unavailble

in the near-term. This is not an unexpected result as UA only has one flight per day to/from BKK. Then perhaps as she was investigating other options you were disconnected?

Have a good trip and best wishes to your Mom for a speedy recovery.

Thanks lomatopo. I hope so.

I fly Thai-Singapore Air-UAL to the US and then UAL on the return. I was told 60,000 miles (econ) would be required, so that makes it Saver miles. I suspect my man was being kind and doing some manipulating for me. And yes, he did make it clear that once I flew the return portion of the leg could not be changed.

I am paying 1400 baht in taxes & fees and the agent (K. Suban) faxed me the form and instructions for charging it to my card. I faxed it back. Thats it. He also told me my seats are confirmed but asked me if I wanted to wait until the 15th (which is the deadline for booking them) to make sure I really wanted to do this, which I thought was quite nice of him to give me some wiggle room.