Koh Tao's other little secret: police extortion

Lite Beer

As a retireed farang in Thailand since 2001, I don't go to any of these high priced tourist areas, I live in a mostly Thai villa and have many neighbors I socialize with and they watch after my house when I'm gone. My closest Thai friend is a taxi driver and volunteer policeman, and has advised me in many situations regarding a translator needed, for free. I feel sad for many tourist coming to Thailand because their in areas where most of theives, scammers, crooks reside. Get outside of that element and the real Thailand I throughly enjoy exist!

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed again. Please stop using bold font when posting.
  • Like 2

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand and the word Corruption go hand in hand. It has been part of each generation in the Kingdom. It would have to be eliminated through educating the masses. Corruption and Extortion is detrimental to everyone's life and the Future of the entire Kingdom. If it takes terminating the entire Royal Thai Police Department, so be it. Martial Law is in effect and street patrol and public safety can be handled by utilizing the Combined Royal Armed Forces to do that. Politicians must be given a strict warning regarding graft and extortion. Business leaders must also tow the line. Every Public Official that violates the Law will be handled accordingly and penalties for violators will be dealt with swiftly and harshly. Take the P.R.C. for example. Recently a high ranking Chinese Official in the Financial Sector was tried and convicted of extorting $25 Million while in Office. Shortly after the trial, he was tied to a stake, had his mouth stuffed with lemon wedges (Not sure why?) and was shot by firing squad. Ok, that might not be appropriate for the Kingdom, but perhaps it's a good idea for the Criminals of Wall Street and London's "The City" Financial District, but that's a whole another story. But, now is the time for a thorough house cleaning of the Kingdom and eliminating "Tea Money" once and for all. IMHO. thumbsup.gif

You are correct but the problem is that a significant portion of the population would be in jail. Extortion, bribery, etc. happens at all levels. It has become a way of life not just for the police but all sectors of government and business. Maybe Koh Toh should be turned back into a prison island.

• Like 1

I had to laugh when they called it a little secret. That is similar to saying the PTP was thrown out of power by a coup a little secret.

The problem with these type things is most people are so willing to accept that all the police are rotten apples. Not true but they are lining up to condemn them all with out any proof what so ever other than they read it on Thai Visa.

Not going to get into a debate on the subject as I have personal experience that they are full of sh-t if they believe they all are corrupt.

The funny part of it all is they are the same people who would be lining up to complain about what it cost to properly recruit and train police and pay them a decent wage.

Had to post this as I find my self reading to much of the B S and starting to follow it also. It is a reminder to my self as well as a denial of what most posters would have me believe.

• Like 1

Thailand and the word Corruption go hand in hand. It has been part of each generation in the Kingdom. It would have to be eliminated through educating the masses. Corruption and Extortion is detrimental to everyone's life and the Future of the entire Kingdom. If it takes terminating the entire Royal Thai Police Department, so be it. Martial Law is in effect and street patrol and public safety can be handled by utilizing the Combined Royal Armed Forces to do that. Politicians must be given a strict warning regarding graft and extortion. Business leaders must also tow the line. Every Public Official that violates the Law will be handled accordingly and penalties for violators will be dealt with swiftly and harshly. Take the P.R.C. for example. Recently a high ranking Chinese Official in the Financial Sector was tried and convicted of extorting $25 Million while in Office. Shortly after the trial, he was tied to a stake, had his mouth stuffed with lemon wedges (Not sure why?) and was shot by firing squad. Ok, that might not be appropriate for the Kingdom, but perhaps it's a good idea for the Criminals of Wall Street and London's "The City" Financial District, but that's a whole another story. But, now is the time for a thorough house cleaning of the Kingdom and eliminating "Tea Money" once and for all. IMHO. thumbsup.gif

You are correct but the problem is that a significant portion of the population would be in jail. Extortion, bribery, etc. happens at all levels. It has become a way of life not just for the police but all sectors of government and business. Maybe Koh Toh should be turned back into a prison island.

Could be worse Thailand is number 101 on a list of 176 countries for corruption.

To add.....and accepted by ALL..

Change, of mentality, can start on 2 ways.....top down..or...bottom up.....

Hence the problem.........outside assistence will not be accepted.....hence the problem...etc etc...

Could be worse Thailand is number 101 on a list of 176 countries for corruption.

It could also be a whole lot better.

• Like 1

The Islands are a hub of corruption and danger...

Oz lad beaten to a pulp

http://www.smh.com.au/world/australian-jack-hansenbartel-a-victim-of-thailands-brutal-underbelly-20141003-10psqf.html

The people that run these Islands know what goes on and often right in the middle of it ... they are scum

The people that to these islands care about money and egos. Anyone in the way of that is dirt.

This poor lads story appeared as an update on Thai visa this afternoon too.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/765820-australian-jack-hansen-bartel-a-victim-of-thailands-brutal-underbelly/page-2

Yes, you're dead right - "where there's a will there's a way" but in Koh Tao, apparently Koh Samui, and possibly the rest of Thailand, the will seems to be lacking! As I see it the WHOLE system is corrupt, and to change that as hgma says "Can't be done in a year", but how about starting off with the KNOWN sources of corruption e.g. the extortion monies already mentioned, also the sporadic spot checks and on the spot 300 baht fines for no helmet while driving a motor bike, but 500 baht if you want a receipt! Blatant! 2 queues, and guess which is the shortest?

The type of corruption you are describing is a 'convenience' that serves the community well.

It is when the greedy get involved in high stakes crime that things start to get a little - out of hand, and innocents get banged up. (Drugs, Gambling, Sex trade, Contract killing, etc.)

But of course the most damage is done at the very top, where cronyism and nepotism define big business and politcians alike (several are one and the same). There are also many, very rich generals here as we have recently discovered, so all sectors of the 'elite' seem to be happy. (0.1% of Thais own +50% of the nation's wealth).

The gap between rich and poor is greater here than most western countries, so perhaps it would be better to get money out of politics, than stopping a cop pocketing 200 baht and saving you the bother of getting ticketed 500 baht laugh.png

How exactly does this type of corruption serve the community well?

• Like 1

Oh my God, the Nation is turning into a real newspaper (maybe a response to Nation reporters being detained a few months back?).

Good for them! The pen is mightier than the sword...but the sword creates permanent consequences....

You could always use a permanent marker...

This is happening On Koh Samui 100 fold. My company hires some Burmese worker and we do all the Legal work permits for them. But that being said I know of Many other companies that hire illegal Burmese worker and the Immigration on Samui take their fees for the illegal worker as well. I still do not understand why the authorities and Military are not coming to Koh Samui to clean it up as they have done on Phuket. And why they are turning a blind eye here, And it has nothing to do with Suthup... Koh Samui Needs Help... Help...

Let's say one had a mythical magical country that had endemic systematic corruption. Let's say that money feeds up the line to some group or other at the top.

Then let's say this was largely ending up with 2 distinct groups. Let's say one of those groups was suddenly empowered to run/control almost everything.

Would they seek to eliminate ALL such activities or just the activities that fed the other group?

Hypothetically speaking ....

And there is a GOD!!!

A female, lesbian, black, alien GOD clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

She has just made pigs fly...

Yes, you're dead right - "where there's a will there's a way" but in Koh Tao, apparently Koh Samui, and possibly the rest of Thailand, the will seems to be lacking! As I see it the WHOLE system is corrupt, and to change that as hgma says "Can't be done in a year", but how about starting off with the KNOWN sources of corruption e.g. the extortion monies already mentioned, also the sporadic spot checks and on the spot 300 baht fines for no helmet while driving a motor bike, but 500 baht if you want a receipt! Blatant! 2 queues, and guess which is the shortest?

The type of corruption you are describing is a 'convenience' that serves the community well.

It is when the greedy get involved in high stakes crime that things start to get a little - out of hand, and innocents get banged up. (Drugs, Gambling, Sex trade, Contract killing, etc.)

But of course the most damage is done at the very top, where cronyism and nepotism define big business and politcians alike (several are one and the same). There are also many, very rich generals here as we have recently discovered, so all sectors of the 'elite' seem to be happy. (0.1% of Thais own +50% of the nation's wealth).

The gap between rich and poor is greater here than most western countries, so perhaps it would be better to get money out of politics, than stopping a cop pocketing 200 baht and saving you the bother of getting ticketed 500 baht laugh.png

It's self serving and ensures that the community is in debt to you. easier to control behaviour of the inhabitants as well. Look at Koh Tao. They all know who has done what but people are afraid to speak up for fear and because the risk potentially spoiling their own "Eco-system" that has had no surveillance from the outside world. Many families livelihoods are at stake and surely they re made aware of this fact each and every day at the moment. Poor buggars.

It could also be a whole lot better.

Had a problem loading my likes

You are 100% correct.

• Like 1

This is happening On Koh Samui 100 fold. My company hires some Burmese worker and we do all the Legal work permits for them. But that being said I know of Many other companies that hire illegal Burmese worker and the Immigration on Samui take their fees for the illegal worker as well. I still do not understand why the authorities and Military are not coming to Koh Samui to clean it up as they have done on Phuket. And why they are turning a blind eye here, And it has nothing to do with Suthup... Koh Samui Needs Help... Help...

Let's say one had a mythical magical country that had endemic systematic corruption. Let's say that money feeds up the line to some group or other at the top.

Then let's say this was largely ending up with 2 distinct groups. Let's say one of those groups was suddenly empowered to run/control almost everything.

Would they seek to eliminate ALL such activities or just the activities that fed the other group?

Hypothetically speaking ....

And there is a GOD!!!

A female, lesbian, black, alien GOD clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

She has just made pigs fly...

Run that by me again ?

???

I'm not surprised to see huge corruption in Thailand. It is like a prostitution disease anywhere. Where money comes easy, everybody wants a cut. What is surprising however is the acceptance of this situation by higher Thai authorities, which for sure must know about them. If this situation is accepted, than someone must pay and someone must receive it and this is called MAFIA, isn't it? At least in the West. Maybe in Thailand it is a norm of conducting business?

I'm not surprised to see huge corruption in Thailand. It is like a prostitution disease anywhere. Where money comes easy, everybody wants a cut. What is surprising however is the acceptance of this situation by higher Thai authorities, which for sure must know about them. If this situation is accepted, than someone must pay and someone must receive it and this is called MAFIA, isn't it? At least in the West. Maybe in Thailand it is a norm of conducting business?

Acceptance from Prime Minister Prayuth

Need I say any more, poor Thailand, you deserve better.

People of Thailand look at Hong Kong for inspiration. They speak out against things they don't like.

• Like 1

Bang on norvid- it is the surprising piece in this. However not just acceptance (which implies to me a degree of passiveness) by higher authorities, but actively supporting and likely their involvement in these practises I believe we can safely say. They are all complicit.

didnt you all read, the General is so pleased with the police having solved this horrendous crime, they are all getting a bonus, read in to that what you will ?? so its same same, nothing is changing. ? well it started out ok, but sad to say the train has been de-railed big time. the world is watching.

• Like 1

yes you were correct in remembering the illegal immigrants drowning in UK, what you have forgotten is the massive public inquiry that come about because of it. has there been a similar incident since, thats the difference any situation like this the Thai authorities do sweet FA

• Like 1

It's easy.... shut the locals down completely and let a private farang company handle all activity and security on the island...

It's the ONLY way Koh Tao will ever be a popular Tourist attraction again............ As Tourist I'm not referring to some permanently doped out trolls hanging around like sperm waiting to be incubated by the sun...... I refer to spenders.

Acceptance from Prime Minister Prayuth

Need I say any more, poor Thailand, you deserve better.

People of Thailand look at Hong Kong for inspiration. They speak out against things they don't like.

Love it when the newbies post like they have a clue to what is happening here in Thailand. They finally get a Prime Minister who is actively working on improving Thailand and they knock him. Maybe they are disappointed that he is trying to get rid of corruption.

I don't for a minute believe that every one who comes to Thailand or for that matter posts on Thai Visa does so because they are looking for a country where every thing is above board.

There are those who come only for the corruption and are very very upset with the change of direction.giggle.gif

my friend was murdered on this island this new year. after i did some research i feel there is a serial murder here. do any of you think this is the first death this year? do you know if someone dies on this island, it is COMMON practice to throw the body into the sea so the owner doesnt have to shut down the restaurant.? A serial killer lives on this island. ... my opinion.

my friend was murdered on this island this new year. after i did some research i feel there is a serial murder here. do any of you think this is the first death this year? do you know if someone dies on this island, it is COMMON practice to throw the body into the sea so the owner doesnt have to shut down the restaurant.? A serial killer lives on this island. ... my opinion.

Sorry for your loss. Can you expand on this?

It's self serving and ensures that the community is in debt to you. easier to control behaviour of the inhabitants as well. Look at Koh Tao. They all know who has done what but people are afraid to speak up for fear and because the risk potentially spoiling their own "Eco-system" that has had no surveillance from the outside world. Many families livelihoods are at stake and surely they re made aware of this fact each and every day at the moment. Poor buggars.

So people "are fraid to speak up for fear and because the risk potentially spoiling their own "Eco-system" that has had no surveillance from the outside world." Sounds exactly like it's a Mafia run island, and the Mafia style corruption has "served the community well"? Exactly the kind of situation that will bring the tourists back in droves! (NOT!) bah.gif

a