How to eat more healthy with only a microwave and kettle?

JThai

Cut up blocks of Soft tofu from Fuji (60 Baht a block) and mix with some nice salad. Mixed salad freshly washed a ready to go from Fuju also about 60 Baht and experiment with some nice olive salad dressings which you can make your self.

Couscous also very easy just steep in hot water and mix in some finely chopped uncooked veggies like carrots and spring onions, maybe some chilli if you like it hot and a clove or two of garlic.

You have received loads of advice and can now probably open your first restaurant and invite all the contributors to the opening.biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.pngclap2.gifclap2.gif

• Like 2

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can buy prepared salads at any supermarket and many have salad bars that you can mix yourself if you want. No need to wash anything as ready to eat. But water in Bangkok is as clean as anywhere and drinkable. Heat up some hot dogs or ham for meat content if you want.

All you need is hot water for Mama type noodle dishes.

Frozen entree type dishes are available everywhere - even 7-11.

Hotdogs and mama noodles? I thought he slanted healthy food, not junk food.

I go t the local vegetarian restaurant where I can get meals for about 10 baht a serving like rice or noodles and 2 veggie dishes. This runs me about 30 Baht is usually very good and I can get an order to go for later as well. Also I bought a blender which you can find on sale under a 1000 Baht. With it I can make all sorts of fruit and veggie smoothies. Very nutritious and lots of healthy calories and minimal fat and cholesterol. Great for losing weight and getting in shape.

FIND OUT WHAT IS GOOD FOR YOU, AND LEARN TO LIKE IT!

OR YOU MAY LOOK BACK LATER IN LIFE AND REGRET NOT FOLLOWING THIS SIMPLE QUOTE!

I ALWAYS WENT OUT TO GET SOME STREEET FOOD, PAPAYA SALAD, STEAMED EDAMAME , CORN, MANY GOOD ITEMS ON THE STREET! AND HEALTHY!

When I'm in Chiang Mai, I like you stay in a room where we have a refrigerator, rice cooker, and microwave. I do like vegetables and it's easy to cook stir fries. But! To be very honest, it's cheaper and significantly less of a hassle to eat out. I do have about half a dozen places that I go to which are generally frequented by Thais. I have some sort of vegetable dish daily along with other things like Khao Pat, Khao Man Gai, Jok, Khao Dtom Pla, Thai curries, and a small amount of fresh cooked pork or chicken. A couple of times a month or so I'll have a fancy night out with the wife we'll head out and have Vietnamese food, or seafood dinner, or out to Sizzler (we both like the salad bar). On a daily basis my cash outlay for lunch or dinner is between 35 to 80 baht. I can't buy food and cook it for that cheap. At home we might occasionally bring a dish home from one of the local restaurants and nuke it in the microwave for an evening meal, and on a rare occasion I'll buy a frozen farang dinner from 7-11 and nuke it at home. And we make fresh sandwiches and fresh fruit smoothies at home. Buy a blender. smile.png

Anyway, best of luck!

Edited by connda

I wouldn’t recommend cooking primarily from a microwave oven because there is a lot of data supporting that microwave radiation changes the molecular structure of water molecules. Boil water in a microwave every day let it cool and the water any plant you own (that you don’t care to loose) that plant will be dead in about two weeks the plant doesn’t recognize the microwaved water as food because the waters structure has been changed. It’s similar with your body if will not get all the nutrition from microwaved food. Here is some research on the subject

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/health-hazards-to-know-about/microwave-ovens-the-proven-dangers

It is however very a controversial opinion and there is a lot of data supporting microwave cooking as completely safe just as nutritious. If that is your believe then have at it we all have to make or our choices.

I wouldn’t recommend cooking primarily from a microwave oven because there is a lot of data supporting that microwave radiation changes the molecular structure of water molecules. Boil water in a microwave every day let it cool and the water any plant you own (that you don’t care to loose) that plant will be dead in about two weeks the plant doesn’t recognize the microwaved water as food because the waters structure has been changed. It’s similar with your body if will not get all the nutrition from microwaved food. Here is some research on the subject

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/health-hazards-to-know-about/microwave-ovens-the-proven-dangers

It is however very a controversial opinion and there is a lot of data supporting microwave cooking as completely safe just as nutritious. If that is your believe then have at it we all have to make or our choices.

I strongly doubt that H2O will be H2O before and after microwave and water is no food for plant, it is just the liquid to transport the food.....

Now I have no real inside plants, but as soon as I have some again I'll try it. In the improbable case that it is true I'll apologize....But I think microwaving water has the same non existing effect on the water as homeopathy

I think you will find that the report on the watered plants was later proven bogus. Check Snopes.com.

Yes OP. I go along with the rice cooker/steamer advice. I am far from an enthusiastic cook, but used one of these a lot when I was on my own and my wife still does. (Well she would wouldn't she. she's Thai smile.png ) Steaming is rated as the healthiest and the easiest way to cook veggies. You can also easily make soups as well.

A word of caution though. someone suggested adding some spices. If you're like me and don't know a lot about this spicing game, be cautious. I got a bit too enthusiastic about making curried stews and started to break out in an eczema type rash. bah.gif Go easy and enjoy.

Sone ver good ideas here, its not difficult to eat healthy but seems u have to learn to eat first, dont like veggies eat white rice and prepared salads????

Thats no food, go to google and learn about food, it is your fuel for your body, the most important in your life!!

I go t the local vegetarian restaurant where I can get meals for about 10 baht a serving like rice or noodles and 2 veggie dishes. This runs me about 30 Baht is usually very good and I can get an order to go for later as well. Also I bought a blender which you can find on sale under a 1000 Baht. With it I can make all sorts of fruit and veggie smoothies. Very nutritious and lots of healthy calories and minimal fat and cholesterol. Great for losing weight and getting in shape.

and where might this place be located ? I would like to try it :)

I use a rice cooker in my room and you can also cook pasta, potatoes , veggies etc in a rice cooker , lots of blogs on that.....

you can do the same thing in a microwave , which is what I use most of the time in the USA......one thing to get is a plastic "dome" cover to put over whatever you are cooking , it keeps the moisture and heat in what you are cooking or heating up ,

Ramen noodles are a good start , its just pasta really made from wheat flour , you can also buy rice noodles , the "bad stuff" is in the seasoning pouch with normally too much salt....

I eat a lot of rice and always try and find an interesting tasting sauce to put on it , .....

You have so many options. I buy some veggies - carrot, onion, corn, caultiflower, potato, tofu etc. I chop into small cubes. I stir fry until mostly cooked. Refrigerate. Add some with egg to rice for quick fried rice on my induction cooker. Add to Ramen or pasta or a quick curry or a soup made using mushroom seasoning powder (No MSG is easily available). Easy and enough for whole week. Add some chicken. I also cook a big batch of rice and refrigerate. Thus ingredients are ready to go into bowl and into the microwave..

I also either make a big curry or a big veggie soup which I just microwave as needed.

I have a blender for fresh fruit smoothies and a toaster for morning toast with fresh coffee made with my small coffee maker though instant works too...

Edited by arend

............ quick curry or a soup made using mushroom seasoning powder (No MSG is easily available)......................

where would I find the powder ?

any idea what it is called in Thai ?

and speaking of that where do you buy Thai green curry powder in something larger than the 20 baht packets ?

Thanks

Get out for a walk three times a day, get some exercise and eat at the local supermarket or street vendors.

It is about healthy food

And there are not fruits, vegetables, chicken and fish at the supermarkets or street vendors?

We have used a Slow Cooker (Otto brand) about 10 years now.

Just put meat in and let cook for maybe 3-4 hours.

Can add vegetables at start or wait a while.

We have cooked chicken and pork together and alone.

Even cooked small whole turkey and turkey breasts.

Make enough for next meals or freeze after cooled.

Soak insert in soapy water and cleaning is easy.

You can form ground pork into thick burgers (3-4)

My Mother is 97 and has ate good here for 10 years.

Can even make yogurt but for that I use temperature controller.

I take out lid knob and insert probe. Can make without tc too.

I strongly doubt that H2O will be H2O before and after microwave and water is no food for plant, it is just the liquid to transport the food.....

Now I have no real inside plants, but as soon as I have some again I'll try it. In the improbable case that it is true I'll apologize....But I think microwaving water has the same non existing effect on the water as homeopathy

It would be great if you could do the experiment and report your findings. However there are some that have been done on youtube have a look at this one

just a quick comment your working from the accommodation I see all the kind posts offering advise about pots pans etc yet not one has asked if you have a work permit as with the situation here what with visa crack downs etc it also was noted both with online news re work permits they do apply to any person working online here in Thailand and point of fact also posted as a thread that a raid was made of a local internet club/cool place where over 20 were found to be conducting a business online ? you might be well advised to keep that gem to yourself or become a legal individual and get a work permit and join a select group of holders that are working on line from home that have the legal permits to do so maybe sooner than later a knock at the door and then no need to worry about food or cooking it as airline food comes free on all flights they are dealing now by handing out fines and giving X amount of days to be on a plane as this online working is also being targeted by the new government

hope you sort out your basic cooking habits

Microwave and healthy in the same sentence? Rice cooker was good suggestion. Induction cooker is ok also, but can possibly use a lot of electric @ 2k-4k watts. You can get a small gas bottle for 1-2000 baht and a decent wok for 200-400 baht.

With the gas bottle, you can do anything you want: steam, fry, boil, etc

Edited by 4evermaat

Get out for a walk three times a day, get some exercise and eat at the local supermarket or street vendors.

It is about healthy food

And there are not fruits, vegetables, chicken and fish at the supermarkets or street vendors?

yes dirty one...pesticides in the green things are often reported.

Someone living near a chicken farm reported how street vendors buy chicken that died and were crocodile food.

I saw myself a street vendor spraying pork with insect spray against the flies.....

Usually everything there is cooked with far too much MSG and sugar + white rice.

OK it won't kill you, but often it is not healthy.....

It would be great if you could do the experiment and report your findings. However there are some that have been done on youtube have a look at this one

Well I don't trust youtube.......A question would be if the other water was boiled also......

Would be interesting to repeat that at home.

just a quick comment your working from the accommodation I see all the kind posts offering advise about pots pans etc yet not one has asked if you have a work permit as with the situation here what with visa crack downs etc it also was noted both with online news re work permits they do apply to any person working online here in Thailand and point of fact also posted as a thread that a raid was made of a local internet club/cool place where over 20 were found to be conducting a business online ? you might be well advised to keep that gem to yourself or become a legal individual and get a work permit and join a select group of holders that are working on line from home that have the legal permits to do so maybe sooner than later a knock at the door and then no need to worry about food or cooking it as airline food comes free on all flights they are dealing now by handing out fines and giving X amount of days to be on a plane as this online working is also being targeted by the new government

hope you sort out your basic cooking habits

Congrats, you win the party pooper comment of the week!
  • Like 1