Morocco sentences 70-year-old British tourist in jail for being gay

webfact

Morocco sentences gay tourist to four months in prison

MOROCCO: -- A 70-year-old British tourist is in jail in Morocco for being gay, news reports said Sunday.

Ray Cole was arrested with a local man at a bus stop in Marrakesh last month, and was sentenced to four months on Thursday, according to the KentOnline website. Speaking in Deal in southern England, Adrian Cole said his father was sleeping on the concrete floor of a cell he shared with up to 60 other prisoners.

"The prison doesn't segregate so he's sharing with murderers, rapists, paedophiles," Cole said. "The trial was a complete farce," he said. "They've gone through his phone and found photographs that they're using as evidence for a homosexual act."

Charlie Elphicke, the local member of parliament for Deal, said the imprisonment showed tourists were not safe in Morocco. "I've been doing all I can to help free Mr Cole from these appalling charges," he said. "I'm deeply concerned about his safety and it's clear that if you visit Morocco you're at serious risk of facing trumped up charges for medieval crimes."

Full story: http://www.eturbonews.com/51138/morocco-sentences-gay-tourist-four-months-prison

-- eTN 2014-10-06

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy's Morrocan partner, who he met via online dating, was also jailed for four months. Should have been more careful as in its advice to travellers, the Foreign Office warns that homosexuality is a criminal offence in Morocco.

• Like 2

The guy's Morrocan partner, who he met via online dating, was also jailed for four months. Should have been more careful as in its advice to travellers, the Foreign Office warns that homosexuality is a criminal offence in Morocco.

One needs to be very careful when one ventures outside ones nanny state.

Sad state of affairs indeed.

• Like 1

So what, that does not make it right or acceptable. Is there any Islamic state where homosexuality is lawful or tolerated? funny I thought it was a religion of 'tolerance' must have been mis informed! the prophet of course used to dress up in womens clothes, but that;s OK I guess

Edited by jacky54
  • Like 2

Gay sex is legal in Turkey but gay people face severe homophobia. Sodomy is illegal in Malysia. Two examples of more tolerant Islamic nations (in general). Most are worse, often much worse. Yes this is a major human rights issue in Islamic dominated nations.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

So what, that does not make it right or acceptable. Is there any Islamic state where homosexuality is lawful or tolerated? funny I thought it was a religion of 'tolerance' must have been mis informed! the prophet of course used to dress up in womens clothes, but that;s OK I guess

Is it right or acceptable that in some countries you can receive jail sentences for grass. It is what it is, against the law, don't want to expose yourself to jail, don't do it.

Homosexuality is both legal and tolerated in Lebanon and other states in the Levant, like Palestine, Jordan, and Syria. In 20 out of 57 Muslim-majority nations same-sex intercourse is not forbidden by law. In Albania there have been discussions about legalizing same-sex marriage. Death sentence or long prison terms in some Islamic countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_in_Islam#Legal_status_in_nations

• Like 1

Gay sex is legal in the west bank.

ILLEGAL in Hamas controlled West Bank.

In both places, no legal protections for gays.

You can't compare to pot. That's a choice. Being gay is what people ARE.

fair enough, though for a number of years in my life grass was essential for pleasure.

Edited by simple1

As usual somebody is diverting from the topic which is not about drug mis use but the freedom to practice ones sexuality. So thanks for simple1 for pointing out that about half of islamic states forbids homosexuality, according to him. What about transgenders like Mohamed?

Edited by jacky54
  • Like 2

As usual somebody is diverting from the topic which is not about drug mis use but the freedom to practice ones sexuality. So thanks for simple1 for pointing out that the majority of islamic states forbids homosexuality.

...and yet it's probably practiced more frequently in muslim countries than anywhere else. What else are young men going to do if sex with a female out of marriage is punishable by death? I guess board a plane from Pakistan to Pattaya might be one solution.

fair enough, though for a number of years in my life grass was essential for pleasure.

I'm sure many other have a similar past on here and not trying to be funny but admitting a past criminal history of drug use on a Thai based forum is not a good idea. I would get it deleted ASAP.

• Like 1

So what? Just because you are homosexual it does not give you the right to break the law in a foreign country. If you don't like the law in Morroco, don't go there.

Of course I meant to say Hamas controlled GAZA, not West Bank.

So what? Again, it's a human rights issue.