Entered Thailand by land, can I extend at local immigration office

A Dutch friend of mine is due to arrive in Thailand on Wednesday, entering by land as he's getting the train from Malaysia to Hua Hin.

He was asking me if he would be able to extend his initial visa exempt entry (14 days he seems to think) at the local immigation office or would he have to do a border run. He'll be flying back to Holland on Nov 17th but wants to travel around Thailand a little first.

Strangely enough Chang Wattana says that they can only do 30 day extensions on 30 day visa waivers only and not 14 day ones. I believe there is still some confusion in here as to the new rules as some 14 dayer's could only get 7 days. Please let us know how your friend managed.

Edited by asean

Strangely enough Chang Wattana says that they can only do 30 day extensions on 30 day visa waivers only and not 14 day ones. I believe there is still some confusion in here as to the new rules as some 14 dayer's could only get 7 days. Please let us know how your friend managed.

I don't know who only gets a 14 day entry. It is a 15 day visa exempt you get at a border crossing.

Perhaps the people that only got 7 days were people that got a 15 day visa on arrival by paying 1000 baht on entry.

The rules in clause 2.4 immigration order 327/2557 does not state anything about different exempt entries.

2.4 In the case of tourism purposes:

Each permission shall be granted for no more than 30 days from the date on which the permitted period has lapsed. The alien:

(1) Must have been granted a tourist visa (TOURIST) or exempted from applying for a visa. Each permission shall be granted for no more than 30 days as announced by the Ministry of Interior.

(2) Must not be of a nationality or type prescribed by the committee monitoring official proceedings of officers of the Immigration Bureau.