It is about time restaurants should change their habits.

Costas2008

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hardly a major catastophe, but it can be annoying if it happens too often.

A few times in the same place & you should think about looking elsewhere for snacks.

Of course, it also happens in the west...

I once stayed in a hotel in the UK where a group of Japanese men were staying. They spoke very little English and seemed slightly perplexed when presented with a western menu. They managed to place an order and when the food arrived they put all the plates, each of which contained a typical western meal, in the middle of the table and shared the food between them.

• Like 1

In a thai restaurant they can do it the Thai way no problem but, in a western and than I mean a real western where there are pretty much no Thai dishes on the menu I expect them to serve the western way.

Reminds me also about a time when me and the missus went to eat in a Thai restaurant in Amsterdam (a good one) and we ordered some dishes and a soup. They brought the soup first and we expecting to be served thai style were waiting for another 20 minutes or so before we asked the waiter where the rest of the food was. He politely told us that they were just waiting for us to finish the soup like westerners eat :) tought it was quite funny..

the reason is the different style of kitchen design.in a western kitchen you have different sections: for appetizers,veggies,meat and pastry and somebody who direct it.here you got one,two or three wok stations one chef at each section,if lucky somebody who assembles the ingredients and whatever is ready get served.it is the so called "family style"- took me almost a year to change this strange habbit.now my waitstaff ask the guests how they would like to get served and most Thais like it "family style".

Fuji has an open kitchen with the tickets from a computer coming up at different parts of the line, cold hot and so on. They still can't serve the appetizer first. I'm assuming the computer acts as an timing mechanism to prevent the appetizer coming with the dessert but it doesn't work. It is a great job opportunity for some enterprising programmer to fix the system.

the reason is the different style of kitchen design.in a western kitchen you have different sections: for appetizers,veggies,meat and pastry and somebody who direct it.here you got one,two or three wok stations one chef at each section,if lucky somebody who assembles the ingredients and whatever is ready get served.it is the so called "family style"- took me almost a year to change this strange habbit.now my waitstaff ask the guests how they would like to get served and most Thais like it "family style".

Fuji has an open kitchen with the tickets from a computer coming up at different parts of the line, cold hot and so on. They still can't serve the appetizer first. I'm assuming the computer acts as an timing mechanism to prevent the appetizer coming with the dessert but it doesn't work. It is a great job opportunity for some enterprising programmer to fix the system.

the system is called Micros and the software works fine but you need somebody who knows how to use it and somebody in the kitchen how to read/ interpret it and....a DIRECTOR

• Like 1

the system is called Micros and the software works fine but you need somebody who knows how to use it and somebody in the kitchen how to read/ interpret it and....a DIRECTOR

Ya I agree. But that is either too complicated or too expensive. If the ticket printer would print out tickets when the items should be cooked it would solve the problem.

OP; you mentioned the crappy cutlery but forgot the plates and dishes with cracks and chunks out of the edges. That really gets me wound up and i've lost count of the times i've sent food back on such tableware. I will not eat food from germ ridden plates and dishes.....even if the kitchen is a rat infested dungeon !

• Like 1

Common sense in Thailand! That's a good one OP. Too bad you will never find it.

Common sense would tell you to make the maximum amount of money per diner. Thais don't have to pay a coordinator to time the food so labor is cheaper per meal. Seems pretty bright to me. People still come to eat. In the West it costs more for the same thing - that makes little common sense.

Edited by thailiketoo

I love it when the farangs think they can change Thailand.

Things are different here. You can either adapt, go home, or go crazy ranting against the tide. Your choice.

adapt or accept?

Ya I agree. But that is either too complicated or too expensive. If the ticket printer would print out tickets when the items should be cooked it would solve the problem.

the printer/ system can provide the informations you've suggested.but as i stated before you need somebody with training/common sense/ brain to do the input and another one to understand/handle the output.

got my point?

dam'n i am negative today- no i am, not just realistic!