Koh Tao murders: Police chief reconfirms Myanmar migrant workers are real suspects

webfact

I am now concerned with the welfare of the third man; he was a suspect, an accused and then cleared. There is a report in a national paper BP link not permitted (see 04 Oct 16:43 - 'KT Torture Alleged') which mentions he had left the island and whereabouts unknown...

Reports indicate that the police are holding him as a witness, but it doesn't appear to be on Samui as earlier reports only speak of the two being transported to jail. Visitors from Myanmar were only allowed to see the two accused, so it would be good to know if they could confirm his whereabouts and wellbeing. I suspect this young man could have changed his mind at some point and became a huge liability.

I have now said all I have to say on this sad case, unless there is some huge breakthrough...

Edited by ParadiseLost
  • Like 1

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It appears the victims were drinking that night but missed reports that the two suspects were drunk. Do you have a link to this or just speculation again stated as fact by you?

“Lawyer Aung Myo Thant said the pair, Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun, both 21, from the Arakanese town of Kyaukphyu, told a Burmese embassy legal team they had murdered English tourists Hannah Witheridge and David Miller by bludgeoning them to death with a hoe on 15 September. However, he said, their stories were ‘somewhat inconsistent’ and ‘their faces portrayed fear’.(DVB)

“From what we have learned, there are inconsistencies with both the forensic report and evidence provided in the case,” Aung Myo Thant DVB is reporting. “The defendants kept repeating that they were very drunk that night. Based on what we have been told, it seems to us like this case is a set-up and not based on hard facts.

You can find links of the Lawyers statements everywhere wink.png

So when the suspects say they were very drunk that night you believe them, but when they say in the very same interview that they killed the victims that same time you say they are liars ?

see post #86 whistling.gif

I am now concerned with the welfare of the third man; he was a suspect, an accused and then cleared. There is a report in a national paper BP link not permitted (see 04 Oct 16:43 - 'KT Torture Alleged') which mentions he had left the island and whereabouts unknown...

Reports indicate that the police are holding him as a witness, but it doesn't appear to be on Samui as earlier reports only speak of the two being transported to jail. Visitors from Myanmar were only allowed to see the two accused, so it would be good to know if they could confirm his whereabouts and well being. I suspect this young man could have changed his mind at some point and became a huge liability.

I have now said all I have to say on this sad case, unless there is some huge breakthrough...

I would speculate that the third Burmese, Maung Maung, who police currently say is a witness who has implicated the other two is in process of being transformed either into a third suspect or a corpse.

• Like 2

It appears the victims were drinking that night but missed reports that the two suspects were drunk. Do you have a link to this or just speculation again stated as fact by you?

“Lawyer Aung Myo Thant said the pair, Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun, both 21, from the Arakanese town of Kyaukphyu, told a Burmese embassy legal team they had murdered English tourists Hannah Witheridge and David Miller by bludgeoning them to death with a hoe on 15 September. However, he said, their stories were ‘somewhat inconsistent’ and ‘their faces portrayed fear’.(DVB)

“From what we have learned, there are inconsistencies with both the forensic report and evidence provided in the case,” Aung Myo Thant DVB is reporting. “The defendants kept repeating that they were very drunk that night. Based on what we have been told, it seems to us like this case is a set-up and not based on hard facts.

So when the suspects say they were very drunk that night you believe them, but when they say in the very same interview that they killed the victims that same time you say they are liars ?

I see post #86, but again there seem to be different versions of the same meeting, so don't blame me.

http://www.dvb.no/news/koh-tao-murderers-were-tortured-says-burmese-embassy-lawyer-burma-myanmar/44781

A lawyer contracted by the Burmese embassy to defend two Burmese migrants accused of murdering a British couple on the Thai island of Koh Tao said the men confessed to the crimes on Monday, but told the legal team they had been tortured.

Lawyer Aung Myo Thant said the pair, Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun, both 21, from the Arakanese town of Kyaukphyu, told a Burmese embassy legal team they had murdered English tourists Hannah Witheridge and David Miller by bludgeoning them to death with a hoe on 15 September. However, he said, their stories were “somewhat inconsistent” and “their faces portrayed fear”.

“From what we have learned, there are inconsistencies with both the forensic report and evidence provided in the case,” said Aung Myo Thant.

"Aung Myo Thant, a Burmese lawyer who is part of a legal team sent by the Burmese Embassy in Bangkok to represent the accused, told The Irrawaddy that Win Zaw Htun was assaulted and threatened after refusing to confess to the murders during a police interrogation.

“He didn’t confess when he was in the investigation center,” Aung Myo Thant said. “A police officer hit the side of his face and the interpreter also hit him four times. Then police threatened to electrocute them [the suspects] and said that no worse thing would happen to them if they confessed. So, they finally confessed as they saw no hope.”

The lawyer said Win Zaw Htun had asked him to “please protect us in accordance with the law.” Aung Myo Thant said the migrants signed a power of attorney document over to the embassy’s legal team, allowing it to represent the accused men in court.

Thai authorities denied a request by the Burmese legal team to meet with another Burmese migrant Maung Maung, who is being held by Thai police as a witness.

“Police told us Maung Maung is not a criminal. They are keeping him to be a witness and provide testimony to the prosecutor. So, they can’t let us meet him. They told us they are keeping him at a hotel,” said Aung Myo Thant. There were unconfirmed reports stating that Maung Maung, who is a friend of the two suspects, was also badly beaten by Thai police."

From today's article on http://www.irrawaddy.org/burma/burmese-suspects-koh-tao-murders-tortured-interrogation-lawyer.html

“A police officer hit the side of his face and the interpreter also hit him four times."

Thanks. This quote from Irrawaddy helps add clarify the role of the banana pancake man/ interpretor and his friend.

post-193277-0-30194700-1412690966_thumb.

I wonder if his new found fame will boost his sales of pancakes - possibly not to the Koh Tao Burmese community.

Edited by Dogmatix

that's a heartening photo for someone like me, who wants justice done in this case:

Abso-bloody-lutely

I know one or two people here have these two down as the full and only perpetrators despite claims that they were tortured and possibly drugged to confess.

I do hope these odd few don't mind them getting some legal representation at least???

'and the confession of the suspects at the presence of their lawyers'.

Is this the same guy who said they didn't have a lawyer because they didnt ask for one ?

Just how many more times are they going to cock up.

Oh and since when does some bushes outside of some ones window count as their possession.

why can't they stay on script?

Didn't the end of last week an NGO confirm they sent /sending the suspects lawyers? Is it possible and likely the lawyers have since talked to the suspects and police?

"Aung Myo Thant, a Burmese lawyer who is part of a legal team sent by the Burmese Embassy in Bangkok to represent the accused, told The Irrawaddy that Win Zaw Htun was assaulted and threatened after refusing to confess to the murders during a police interrogation.

He didnt confess when he was in the investigation center, Aung Myo Thant said. A police officer hit the side of his face and the interpreter also hit him four times. Then police threatened to electrocute them [the suspects] and said that no worse thing would happen to them if they confessed. So, they finally confessed as they saw no hope.

The lawyer said Win Zaw Htun had asked him to please protect us in accordance with the law. Aung Myo Thant said the migrants signed a power of attorney document over to the embassys legal team, allowing it to represent the accused men in court.

Thai authorities denied a request by the Burmese legal team to meet with another Burmese migrant Maung Maung, who is being held by Thai police as a witness.

Police told us Maung Maung is not a criminal. They are keeping him to be a witness and provide testimony to the prosecutor. So, they cant let us meet him. They told us they are keeping him at a hotel, said Aung Myo Thant. There were unconfirmed reports stating that Maung Maung, who is a friend of the two suspects, was also badly beaten by Thai police."

From today's article on http://www.irrawaddy.org/burma/burmese-suspects-koh-tao-murders-tortured-interrogation-lawyer.html

They are keeping him in a hotel as a witness. As a witness. Is this for his own safety.

Shouldn't someone, human right or defence lawyer be asking to see him, the presents of other witnesses?

I don't know about Thai law, in the UK the prosecution have to give the defence lawyers details of witness statements, before the case goes to trial.

jb1

The RTP are doing the classic confusion. Look here not over there !

All gone quiet over there , where is the headmans OTHER SON? who himself said was missing

or even WHO is the headman's other son? Still yet to see a straight answer to that queston

• Like 1

I repeat, The RTP are saying their was only 4 people on the beach that night at the time of the murders, utter and complete lies!

General show some respect to your office and put a stop to this sham, Arrest the real murderers, or do you want this to reoccur in the future, because whoever carried out these murders , in my opinion had killed before and is sure to kill again.

• Like 1

I see post #86, but again there seem to be different versions of the same meeting, so don't blame me.

http://www.dvb.no/news/koh-tao-murderers-were-tortured-says-burmese-embassy-lawyer-burma-myanmar/44781

A lawyer contracted by the Burmese embassy to defend two Burmese migrants accused of murdering a British couple on the Thai island of Koh Tao said the men confessed to the crimes on Monday, but told the legal team they had been tortured.

Lawyer Aung Myo Thant said the pair, Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun, both 21, from the Arakanese town of Kyaukphyu, told a Burmese embassy legal team they had murdered English tourists Hannah Witheridge and David Miller by bludgeoning them to death with a hoe on 15 September. However, he said, their stories were “somewhat inconsistent” and “their faces portrayed fear”.

“From what we have learned, there are inconsistencies with both the forensic report and evidence provided in the case,” said Aung Myo Thant.

Well contradiction until you take into account the bit where they finally confessed seeing no hope, now under interrogation and torture they confess, because they maybe raped ( lets assume the DNA matches them ) but didnt kill ? or maybe 50/50 they did kill and rape but not on their own or maybe they wernt the only ones there etc etc ?

Ive never said these two are innocent only that everything being laid on them alone is BS

EnglishOak wrote:

Would you like more ?

Aung Myo Thant, a Burmese lawyer who is part of a legal team sent by the Burmese Embassy in Bangkok to represent the accused, told The Irrawaddy that Win Zaw Htun was assaulted and threatened after refusing to confess to the murders during a police interrogation. “He didn’t confess when he was in the investigation center,” Aung Myo Thant said. “A police officer hit the side of his face and the interpreter also hit him four times. Then police threatened to electrocute them [the suspects] and said that no worse thing would happen to them if they confessed. So, they finally confessed as they saw no hope.”

The lawyer said Win Zaw Htun had asked him to “please protect us in accordance with the law.” Aung Myo Thant said the migrants signed a power of attorney document over to the embassy’s legal team, allowing it to represent the accused men in court.

Thai authorities denied a request by the Burmese legal team to meet with another Burmese migrant Maung Maung, who is being held by Thai police as a witness. “Police told us Maung Maung is not a criminal. They are keeping him to be a witness and provide testimony to the prosecutor. So, they can’t let us meet him. They told us they are keeping him at a hotel,” said Aung Myo Thant. There were unconfirmed reports stating that Maung Maung, who is a friend of the two suspects, was also badly beaten by Thai police.

The Thai National Human Rights Commission has reported on PBS that the two Burmese said they were 'tortuted' and lawyers for Myanmar Migrant Workers/ Cross Cultural Federation are reporting similar claims.

So hows the RTP halo looking now ? whistling.gif

Quote end...

Oooooohhh, looks like there is a huge container of $... feces exploding right into the faces of the ones who dared to threaten their own folks for questioning the "official" story. Looks like there still is hope...

If they can proof that the confessions were forced out of them without a lawyer, etc. present, the RPF would be back to base one. With lie after lie and one erratic official statement blubbered out after another in front of international media, causing complete confusion while hissing threats at an open minded and questions asking public, heads might roll eventually.

Will be interesting to sit back and watch who is jumping off the official poppycock story bandwagon first to prevent losing face... Might become a jumping contest after all smile.png

• Like 1

Prove it by sending the DNA outside of Thailand for independent testing. All other evidence can be planted or otherwise interfered with, while confessions can be easily extracted.

Regarding the DNA testing, it was done in Singapore.

Most if not all the DNA testing was confirmed done by RTP Forensics. Do we have any confirmation that the brief early idea of sharing some of it with an unnamed Singapore lab (after rejecting the FBI idea) was actually implemented?

On 20 Sep, police said they would seek FBI help with DNA in order to determine race. On the same day, they then said that "forensic doctors" had determined the DNA was Asian and the FBI was not needed. Singapore not mentioned. On 21 Sep, there was another news story that some DNA would be sent to Singapore to get at skin colour and hair colour. Did we hear back?

In any event, the DNA found in/on (sorry) the victim is only part A of a match. Part B is from the suspects. One or two of them were photographed in the very early DNA testing queue on the island. Naturally they were early DNA targets, because after moving on from Miller's mates the police were focused on Burmese and any that worked at the vital bar would have been top priority. Somehow their DNA, whether it was tested in Thailand or Singapore was not matched then. Now it has apparently been matched but do we know that the test or the match was done in Singapore?

Today police has stated that DNA testing was done in 3 Thai universities, including Chula and Chiang Mai Uni. Why the suspects were first tested and cleared and then retested with positive results produced much faster than what such testing seems to require and required before is one of the unanswered questions that affect the credibility of the prosecutors.

These come together with the condom (who used it?), the supposed murder weapon (why David's wounds don't match a hoe),the fact that David's body was pulled into the water (why?) the missing CCTV footages, the refusal of high-profile suspects to undergo DNA testing and the police being ok with it, the accusation and pics of a key witness (Sean McAnna) who involved owners of AC Bar and was let go and has now disappeared and won't be questioned, plus the many changes in the official versions by prosecutors after the public has systematically highlighted its inconsistencies, not to mention the initial contamination of the crime scene.

This is building momentum now, the telegraph has written an article now saying that the Burmese guys could ne scapegoats and that the RTP's conduct in the case has been questionable at best.

Keep it going people the petition was at 36000 last time I checked

I contacted Tom Phillips from the Telegraph on Sunday and exchanged a few emails with him. I'm so glad they've published an article, and a very well written one at that. This will put questions into a huge audience here in the UK who may not have been following events. Hopefully other news agencies will follow suit.

Lausie,

I am all out of likes today but you are utterly brilliant.Good work-well done, I commend you highly!!! Keeping this story hot in the British press is vital right now. The telegraph is well respected and usually other press follows suit.They can not do so quickly enough.

Petition now at 42,000 signatures and as it is mentioned in the telegraph article it can only go up and quickly.

Well done Tom Phillips.Come on UK press, follow his lead, time is of the essence.

http://www.telegraph...ns-murders.html

Please share everywhere.

" Tom Phillips retweeted

Latest UK statement on Koh Tao investigation in this article. Embassy team continues to be closely engaged. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/thailand/11145536/Thai-police-deny-cover-up-of-Britons-murders.html

Reply0 replies
Retweet8 retweets8
Favorite2 favorites2
More

British Foreign Office says Thailand must address fears of Koh Tao murder cover-up "thoroughly and transparently" http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/thailand/11145536/Thai-police-deny-cover-up-of-Britons-murders.html

• Like 1

RTP Police confirms they are real scapegoat suspects.

Over 40,000 people already signed the petition to Independently investigate the horrific murders of Hannah Witheridge and David Miller

https://www.change.org/p/the-government-of-the-united-kingdom-independently-investigate-the-horrific-murders-of-hannah-witheridge-and-david-miller

Target 50,000! Go go go

I hope the P.M is reading this petition and gets the army to investigate also of how this investigation has gone from the start with suspects and general practioners on the crime scene.

Please PM look into these families that control the island people are concerned and rightfully so 40000,00 signatures in a couple of days should be concerning to your government.

The PM has already publicly praised the RTP for a job well done.

http://www.irrawaddy.org/burma/burmese-suspects-koh-tao-murders-tortured-interrogation-lawyer.html

That is good then....But what happened to this guy...why was he asked to hang himself by Mon and Mons Copper Friend ??? and why is Mon taken pic of hin in the Minimart ???

Where the hell did this come from?!

It was posted on the CSI LA page this morning - not sure where it ultimately came from.

I know it's just one photo, but that looks like a pretty concerned/scared face to me.

It looks like a desperate attention seeking drugged up guy.

Nevertheless he seems to be a key witness, with wounds on his body similar to David's and reports he was cover in blood that night, not to mention he made clear accusations. Any serious prosecutor with honest intentions could not close this case without questioning him.

I hope the English media will find him and ask a couple of questions.

Edited by lucpez

Its NOT just 2 poor drunken hobbits.

Lawyer Aung Myo Thant said the pair, Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun, both 21, from the Arakanese town of Kyaukphyu, told a Burmese embassy legal team they had murdered English tourists Hannah Witheridge and David Miller by bludgeoning them to death with a hoe on 15 September. However, he said, their stories were somewhat inconsistent and their faces portrayed fear.(DVB)

From what we have learned, there are inconsistencies with both the forensic report and evidence provided in the case, Aung Myo Thant DVB is reporting. The defendants kept repeating that they were very drunk that night. Based on what we have been told, it seems to us like this case is a set-up and not based on hard facts.

So they were drunk as you claim and had somewhat inconsistent statements and they are sitting in jail probably facing the death penalty and looked scared as they told their lawyers they did it.

Do the lawyers plan on getting swabs of their DNA to compare with the crime scene DNA that multiple labs / universities have on file from the crime scene or are they just doing what lawyers do and trying to use what they can to suggest doubt and staying away from what proves guilt?

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

The Thai police may be desperate to pin blame on the two Myanmar yokels, but not half as desperate as the ThaiVisa conspiracy theorists are to pin the charge of false accusation on the police.

We are beginning to see theories come out of the conspiracy camp that are far more far-fetched than the police's claims - eg that the two Burmese guys may have done it but they were hired to do it by [insert someone you want to be guilty].

• Like 1

Its NOT just 2 poor drunken hobbits.

Lawyer Aung Myo Thant said the pair, Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun, both 21, from the Arakanese town of Kyaukphyu, told a Burmese embassy legal team they had murdered English tourists Hannah Witheridge and David Miller by bludgeoning them to death with a hoe on 15 September. However, he said, their stories were somewhat inconsistent and their faces portrayed fear.(DVB)

From what we have learned, there are inconsistencies with both the forensic report and evidence provided in the case, Aung Myo Thant DVB is reporting. The defendants kept repeating that they were very drunk that night. Based on what we have been told, it seems to us like this case is a set-up and not based on hard facts.

So they were drunk as you claim and had somewhat inconsistent statements and they are sitting in jail probably facing the death penalty and looked scared as they told their lawyers they did it.

Do the lawyers plan on getting swabs of their DNA to compare with the crime scene DNA that multiple labs / universities have on file from the crime scene or are they just doing what lawyers do and trying to use what they can to suggest doubt and staying away from what proves guilt?

Why you asking me ? im claiming nothing, just passing on whats currently known or claimed as reported and quoted.

Whats wrong bud the RTP halo lost its shine ?

You dont suppose the lawyers could be doing their jobs like asking questions do you ? that probably came as a shock to the RTP I admit.

• Like 1

I repeat, The RTP are saying their was only 4 people on the beach that night at the time of the murders,

utter and complete lies!

OK. As you seem to know more than everyone else here, could you please enlighten us on, what happened *really* that night?

It just doesn't sound right, the suspects say they beat david with a hoe, but that is not possible as his dna is not on the hoe.

And saying i was drunk I dont remember anything (coerced) helps the police because the truth is the boys are not able to describe how they managed to overcome david and hannah at the same time.

That is good then....But what happened to this guy...why was he asked to hang himself by Mon and Mons Copper Friend ??? and why is Mon taken pic of hin in the Minimart ???

YES ! Exactly i have been thinking about this crack head coward too.... I think catweazle ( poster here who knows quite a lot ) can sort this out.

I have a hunch that this crackhead was involved at the beach scuffle but actually wasn't on David's side ( as to been on a serious wacked out bender ) when the AC team turned up ( were actually looking for David ) hell broke loose and he was involved then fled .

I also think the 2 burmese guys were involved, maybe raped Hannah before after post mortem but weren't actually included in the murder .

Just my theory , this F ...%^%^% 8 ....ed oxygen thief low life addict got a warning to leave or else and he did , but for sure hes not innocent .

He needs to be tracked down and seriously interrogated then all will really know what happened.

If i was David's or Hanna's family id be hunting him ! literally