Koh Tao murders: Police chief reconfirms Myanmar migrant workers are real suspects

webfact

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding DNA tests, the 2 suspects were not tested in the first round, they lived too far away.

Kissing, sex, same same in Thailand.

Perhaos the headman offered a million baht to the police if they could prove a member of his family guilty because he was sure none of them did it-and publicly offering the money was his way of trying to convince the public.

One future possible scenario is Prayuth sacking someone big in police for knowingly falsifying evidence that was presented. This would save face for Prayuth since he will say that he was lied to, and the scapegoats would go free.

However, I don't see this as likely since (to them) it's not worth all the damage that it will cause internally to those with power. They assume that this too shall pass.

Regarding DNA tests, the 2 suspects were not tested in the first round, they lived too far away.

Kissing, sex, same same in Thailand.

Perhaos the headman offered a million baht to the police if they could prove a member of his family guilty because he was sure none of them did it-and publicly offering the money was his way of trying to convince the public.

Well that has to be the most absurd post yet. Even if there wasn't a picture of them queuing up to give a sample (which there is) where do you get that wonderful snippet of info from ?

I can just imagine the cops having a chat after all the tests were done ... You done em all Sarge... Yup got em all ... well apart from those 2 Burmese lads that were working in the bar last night... they live a bit far out of town so I didn't bother..... ok well done.

Man you am a joker.

Edited by bertty

With newspapers all over the world now questioning the confession, it is going to be very hard to execute a dead sentence for these guys. If that is done, then this will send another bad signal around the world.

I would be worried about the high-season, if I was in the tourist business.

I bet the RTP will think twice about covering up the next tourist murder

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif No they won't ... they think the world thinks they have competently solved this case cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

RTP would have to be the most narrow minded, uneducated, corrupt and incompetent force in the world FULL STOP!!!

The last paragraph says it all.

Beware of a sociopathic liar, getting a compulsive liar to admit he or she lied can be nearly impossible.

If anyone is looking for smoking guns, then the best ones are the ridiculous statements officials are now pumping out by the hour PLUS the threats to sue anyone who implies foul play.

Apart from the fact that the statement "these are real suspects" does not mean anything (anyone can be a real suspect, but is he a real culprit?), some of the statements made in front of press contradict each other, putting all the lies out in the open for everyone to see, like "confessions were made in presence of their lawyer" while another statement was that they did not want a lawyer because they chose to confess... The phone story changes by the hour as well - it was Hannah's, no David's phone, no I think Hannah's no wait - it was David's, or Hannah's or Santa's? Hhhhmmm, whatever!

If they had nothing to hide and everything would be as transparent as they say, they would agree to a proper press conference with guaranteed immunity of the uncomfortable questions asking reporters as well as an invitation to British CSI experts to reevaluate the evidence. But instead there are threats being hissed at anyone who insists to use his right of free speech. Important questions that have nothing to do with conspiracy theories but are just common sense, such as "Where is Sean and why isn't he being detained and interrogated?", "Why the silence about the shallow stab wounds in David's head, most likely originating from a push dagger and the fact that the assailant must have been a taller than average left hander?" remain unanswered. Instead, we hear threats, senseless babble in front of cameras and shallow excuses...

The time to reestablish trust has run out. Officials can spit as many threats into the faces of the public, but one thing is sure - this one, single case and the f##kups made during the investigation have damaged Thailand's as well as the RTP's reputation amongst Thais AND foreigners to the core and forever! It's not the doubters and truth seekers who have damaged it, but the RTP itself! Why? Because trustworthy, honest enforcer of the law with heart and soul would not look the other way and blurt out threats at concerned citizens, because that is what bullies do!

The Thai police may be desperate to pin blame on the two Myanmar yokels, but not half as desperate as the ThaiVisa conspiracy theorists are to pin the charge of false accusation on the police.

We are beginning to see theories come out of the conspiracy camp that are far more far-fetched than the police's claims - eg that the two Burmese guys may have done it but they were hired to do it by [insert someone you want to be guilty].

We are beginning to see theories come out of the conspiracy camp that are far more far-fetched than the police's claims - eg that the two Burmese guys may have done it but they were hired to do it by Thaksin.

Koh Tao Murders: Accused recant confessions, tell embassy lawyer they were tortured

By Coconuts Bangkok October 7, 2014 / 22:29 ICT

Two migrant workers from Myanmar recanted their confessions today, telling a lawyer from the Burmese embassy they did not kill David Miller and Hannah Witheridge last month on Koh Tao.

Attorney Aung Myo Thant from the Burmese Embassy made his comments after meeting with the two men, Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun, who Thai police said had confessed to the crime.

In Burmese media reports, the lawyer said the two men told him they only confessed because they were forced to under torture.

"They told me that they were on the beach that night drinking and singing songs,” he said. “They said they didn't do it, that the Thai police (along with their Burmese-Thai translator) beat them until they confessed to something they didn't do. They're pleading with the Burmese government to look into the case and find out the truth. They were a really pitiful sight. Their bodies had all sorts of bruises. I have already reported all that I have seen today to my government."

Aung Myo Thant characterized it as a “set up” that wasn’t based on evidence.

He added that he was denied access to a third suspect originally detained, Maung Maung, because police said he is “a crucial witness” they do not want interference with.

Meanwhile Thai police authorities today said they’d met with Myanmar representatives who were “satisfied” with the results of their investigation.

UPDATED: Story was updated to reflect full names of suspects as reported by Burmese media.

Source: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/10/07/koh-tao-murders-accused-men-recant-confessions-tell-embassy-lawyer-they-were-tortured

Lawyer Aung Myo Thant said the pair, Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun, both 21, from the Arakanese town of Kyaukphyu, told a Burmese embassy legal team they had murdered English tourists

Speaking to DVB on Monday, Kyaw Thaung, a representative of the Myanmar Association in Thailand, who attended the interview with the defendants, said, “We went to the prison [on Koh Samui] and were allowed to meet with the two freely. They confessed to committing the crime under the influence of alcohol. When asked for further details, they said they bashed the victims two or three times each with the blunt end of a hoe, but not with the sharp end. They said they did it because they were drunk but did not intend to kill the couple.

https://www.dvb.no/news/koh-tao-murderers-were-tortured-says-burmese-embassy-lawyer-burma-myanmar/44781

"they said they bashed the victims two or three times each with the blunt end of a hoe"

If you've seen the victims wounds you'd know this doesn't add up.

And if you knew about confessions, criminals often (most of the time) down play what they did ... just as they stated they didn't intend to kill them.

You know what? I'm really tired of you and your nonsensical, often deriding, comments.

Tell us, from where do you derive your knowledge of "confessions?"

Are you former law enforcement? A prosecutor or criminal defense attorney?

• Like 1

I don't believe the police.

If army say so, I believe.

Where is Prayuth when you need him?

He's busy examining DNA and confirming it matches.

He's also been quite occupied with arranging rewards for the police who captured the killers!

Soon only people who sign up to ThaiVisa today will be able to see johnthailand's posts.

At least then his posts won't be getting quoted as much. My finger hurts from scrolling through them so much!

There is a lot of conflicting reports on this case and it is obvious that something doesn't add up! They are tiny compared to David and unless they crept up on him and knocked him out while he was laying down. That then brings up the question of why Hannah didn't run, scream etc.

I could go on forever but the thing that has been in my mind today is the difference in severity between Hannah and Davids injuries.

They say they hit David with the hoe the same weapon as Hannah. Now I know the level of force was much greater on Hannah but If you look at his injuries, anything that hit him would cause instant brusing and most likely a fractured skull.

CSI LA has shown the injuries quite well and it is obvious it is a push knife or something similar and not a hoe like the alleged murderers are claiming.

If they are so sure, that this case is solved correctly, why the need to come out and "explain" themselves twice a day?? (Apart from keeping Thaivisa alive!)rolleyes.gif

Because of you lot interfering on social media with you're outlandish conspiracy theories damaging the reputation of the Thai police force, that's why!!!

The glaring elephant in the room is the 3rd DNA found on Hannas body confirmed by the pathologist, meaning at least 1 other is involved.

You are wrong. He never said or confirmed that.

See http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/766270-police-clarify-koh-tao-victims-cellphone-planting/?p=8498751

Actually im not, the Cigarette is separate, watch again, a total of 3 DNA were found on Hannahs body C found on an outside part of her body none of which are Davids.

Also the condom possibly did have something but was so badly contaminated nothing could be isolated.

Its NOT just 2 poor drunken hobbits.

Not true according to the statement there were 2 lots of DNA just that the one found on the outside part of her body was the same person as the semen I have watched twice and just in case my Thai wasn't good enough I got my wife to watch and tell me what they said.

Some of my recent posts on this travesty, which seem as relevant as ever:

What is the real moral to this story? Well, one of them is that we are not going to see any meaningful change, to the fabric of Thai society. Many of us were incredibly hopeful that we would see some positive changes. And I think it is quite possible that Prayuth, and his top guys have their hearts in the right places, and want to see this change take place. Many expats, and many Thais really want to see progress, and want to see this country moving forward into this century. Yes, we will see some land crimes solved, and some illegal beach vendors removed. But, in terms of dealing with the massive corruption issues, the kind of power guys like the headman of Koh Tao have, and their ability to abuse that power, and positive changes at an institutional level, and at a national level, where it really counts, many of us now doubt it will happen. This case proves, that many are still above the law, and even the Army cannot touch them. That is the devastating moral to this story. A very disappointing outcome indeed.

This is simply a disinformation campaign, aimed at the ignorant. They have found the killer or killers. They have made a conscious decision not to charge him. They know who he is. They have CCTV footage of him following the victims out of the bar. They have eyewitness accounts of the incident that provoked this. The headman is simply too rich, too powerful, and nobody feels compelled to rock that boat, including the Army. It is very disappointing to alot of people here in Thailand and worldwide, to find that the Army does not really want to rock the boat, and upset the status quo. Very disappointing. Very disconcerting. A real shame. Some things never change, I guess. Looks like that crime infested, drug infested island is going to stay the same forever. Little progress there. Nobody in power wants to see change. It is going to take a very powerful force in Bangkok, if anything there is ever going to change.

• Like 1

I don't think these 2 had anything to do with murder or rape, never have, never will. Find it a little amazing that a number of people are now saying 'well they might have been involved somehow.

Lets say they rapped her. When ? after half her head had been hacked off ?... What a turn on that must be.

Or you reckon whilst David was being hacked to death they thought ' lets give her one' whilst that lot are fighting, No one will notice.

And damn if it hadn't of been for the second lot of Dna tests they took they would have got away scot-free.

Where's Scooby and shaggy when you need them... Damn those pesky kids....

Why do you think the son of the headman would enjoy raping a dead body more than a migrant worker ?

Whoever did this is a sick person.

If they are so sure, that this case is solved correctly, why the need to come out and "explain" themselves twice a day?? (Apart from keeping Thaivisa alive!)rolleyes.gif

Because of you lot interfering on social media with you're outlandish conspiracy theories damaging the reputation of the Thai police force, that's why!!!

"Damaging the reputation on the Thai police force." ---> I think they have done that themselves without anyone needing to say anything.

So if true …how many of these illegal lunatics *are on the loose ?

I am reading" Burmese worker in Thailand murdering westerners ?"

Surely , thats right>….Its what they are saying?

Illegal Burmese did it?

And they pay off cops there?

Thats got more international ramifications- as international concerns of those two Brutal murders on BrIts- and confessions highlight the threat….

Thousands of them?

*(just on that Island)

Maybe they should go back to the "real killers""

Earlier it was reported that the police chief flew to Koh Tao to interrogate the suspects himself. I wonder whether he also participated in the sessions at the 'safe house'. Even the Rohingya police interpreter/ pancake seller and was allegedly invited to make the session more punchy. Khun Somyot's long years of experience of police work could have proved invaluable there. Anyway it seems like the interrogators and the pancake man managed to get the confesees up to boiling point and singing with or without help from above.

Well JTJ obviously you have not yet formulated your answers with the RTP, because there has been no response from you. Not that I expected one because when you are asked to explain the anomalise in the evidence you are completely F****D. But I am glad to see that you sent your alter ego/boyfriend SICOPHANTICSTEVE on to draw attention away from yourself.

Anyway I guess that you have now proved once and for all what a brown nosed arse licking RTP nark you are, and don't forget if you want to report me to the RTP just message me and i will give you my address

So if true …how many of these illegal lunatics *are on the loose ?

I am reading" Burmese worker in Thailand murdering westerners ?"

Surely , thats right>….Its what they are saying?

Illegal Burmese did it?

And they pay off cops there?

Thats got more international ramifications- as international concerns of those two Brutal murders on BrIts- and confessions highlight the threat….

Thousands of them?

*(just on that Island)

Maybe they should go back to the "real killers""

Whats hot on Twitter is "Paid off cops by illegals Killing westerners in Thailand "

hahaha

I don't think these 2 had anything to do with murder or rape, never have, never will. Find it a little amazing that a number of people are now saying 'well they might have been involved somehow.

Lets say they rapped her. When ? after half her head had been hacked off ?... What a turn on that must be.

Or you reckon whilst David was being hacked to death they thought ' lets give her one' whilst that lot are fighting, No one will notice.

And damn if it hadn't of been for the second lot of Dna tests they took they would have got away scot-free.

Where's Scooby and shaggy when you need them... Damn those pesky kids....

Why do you think the son of the headman would enjoy raping a dead body more than a migrant worker ?

Yep.....Like John Reginald Halliday Christie.

Whoever did this is a sick person.

If the Royal Thai Police Force had not been deeply corrupt for years, they would have had a good reputation and people would have trusted them. They themselves built their own bad reputation - not social media.

Social Media might be the best thing that ever happened to them and this country. Maybe now they will understand that it requires pride, dignity, moral, ethics and seeking real justice to be a REAL and RESPECTED policeman/force. Something they should have learnt and understood a long time ago.

If they want respect, they have to earn it! Just like anyone else in any other job.

Edited by khunpa
  • Like 2

The problem in Thailand is that if Prayut really did reform the RTP, they wouldn't have anyone working for them. The truth is paying them more money would not reduce corruption, it would only make all the bent coppers even wealthier. Greed can never be overcome by honesty

There is a lot of conflicting reports on this case and it is obvious that something doesn't add up! They are tiny compared to David and unless they crept up on him and knocked him out while he was laying down. That then brings up the question of why Hannah didn't run, scream etc.

I could go on forever but the thing that has been in my mind today is the difference in severity between Hannah and Davids injuries.

They say they hit David with the hoe the same weapon as Hannah. Now I know the level of force was much greater on Hannah but If you look at his injuries, anything that hit him would cause instant brusing and most likely a fractured skull.

CSI LA has shown the injuries quite well and it is obvious it is a push knife or something similar and not a hoe like the alleged murderers are claiming.

I may have missed it but cannot recall mention of a toxicology report. If date-rape drugs were slipped to the victims (very popular thing with local Thai youngsters) their cognitive reactions would have been impaired. As David was a big guy, drugs should have worn off quicker for him. He could have woken to a nightmare.

What really puzzles me is just how far this farce has been taken. Is it really just about a supposed 'hi-so', one who owns a poxy bar on a drug infested island? Surely the real hi-so would have no hesitation to serve justice?

An earlier suspect, who many believe was present that night and fled to BKK in the early hours. is at a very hi-so university and has many (ultra) hi-so connections. There may have been more than one person on that 'Little Duck' and they may have a 'get out of jail free' card handy for just such an annoying little problem. Pure conjecture, but I fear there is no truth in this case and it is purposely so.

Even if the case collapses and starts again, without the testimony from the likes of Sean and any others who witnessed events, there will never be truth.

Tread carefully.

• Like 1

If the Royal Thai Police Force had not been deeply corrupt for years, they would have had a good reputation and people would have trusted them. They themselves built their own bad reputation - not social media.

Social Media might be the best thing that ever happened to them and this country. Maybe now they will understand that it requires pride, dignity, moral, ethics and seeking real justice to be a REAL and RESPECTED policeman/force. Something they should have learnt and understood a long time ago.

If they want respect, they have to earn it! Just like anyone else in any other job.

I was simply answering the question as to why they have to keep on repeating what they are doing/have done.

It seems pretty damning and water tight to me - the phone(s) fiasco has simply created confusion that has rendered the other evidence questionable in peoples eyes and is a huge red herring.