Which Place to go diving with a family where youngest is 7?

indieke

Friends of mine are planning to go around Christmas for,their first time to Thailand. They will stay a month, but one week diving is planned. WHere could they go? In my time Simmilans, where a good option, but now I not know and not think it is the best place to spend a week with children. I can't imagine Phuket is a good place to dive, around Koh Chang maybe, I really have no clue what to suggest them. Also the kids, would like to have some fun too, I guess....

Anyone some ideas?

The best diving will be a liveaboard in the Similans or perhaps over towards Nicobar. But not sure a 7 year old would enjoy that. There's lots of diving opportunities in Phuket. So I wouldn't discount that so quickly. Koh Tao is another popular spot.

Let's let this run here a bit and then we can move it over to the diving forum for more help!

The best diving will be a liveaboard in the Similans or perhaps over towards Nicobar. But not sure a 7 year old would enjoy that. There's lots of diving opportunities in Phuket. So I wouldn't discount that so quickly. Koh Tao is another popular spot.

Let's let this run here a bit and then we can move it over to the diving forum for more help!

Why would any one with or without a family go to Koh Tao?

Understood, but incidents like this have happened before, and in many locations across Thailand. Just like every other country around the world. This unfortunate incident has brought the spotlight onto the mafia practices that occur in these areas. But they are still very safe. And I'll bet right now hotels are very cheap and security is elevated.

I went to Bali just after the bombing many years ago. Why? To help support the locals with my tourist dollars. I did the same in Phuket right after the tsunami. Speaking with the locals, they really appreciated it.

Sorry it's not Thailand but just got back from diving in Nha Trang, Vietnam, where an excellent company took really good care of our huge family with 6 young kids. Everyone had a go at diving, including first-time women and kids as young as 5, and everyone had an awesome time. The company is called Vinadive and is highly recommended! Please let us know how you get on and if you find a similar good experience in Thailand. Good luck!

• Like 1

Phi Phi island has many options for a family. We have stayed a few times with our children. My son took his first diving class there. Might stay on the edge of Ton Sai for a couple days if somebody is going to take a class, then... Head to the back side.

Staying on the back side is calm with few tourists and the best snorkeling right off the beach. Walk over the hill or take a long tail boat to the other side (Ton Sai) for diving, fire shows, restaurants, souvenirs. Phi Phi is easy access from Phuket, where there are also many fun family activities while in transit.

Edited by roman50
  • Like 1

Its still a beautiful island with very good and affordable diving with lots for the kids to do as well. Not as hectic as Phuket. There are some nice resorts that are aimed at families.

Last month in London over one weekend 10 people were either stabbed or shot. That won't stop London being one of the top tourist destinations in the world.

Yes what happened on Koh tao was horrendous but this is a rarity there thankfully.

We have two small children, and we dive a lot. It's a fine balance between good diving, and finding interesting and safe environment for the children while the parents are diving. We often dive outside of Thailand, but our thought process is as follows:

1. If we stay at a resort, we prefer a place where the dive sites are relatively close to the resort so if the children don't want to go on the dive boat (which they usually don't), then we're not away for very long (2 hours max). We look for a resort that's family oriented; and willfully respond to a request for a paid nanny. I believe you could get this experience in Koh Tao; but in my opinion the Pattaya or Phuket dive sites are too far from the resorts. I wouldn't be comfortable leaving the kids with a new nanny for half a day.

2. Liveaboards. Thailand's best diving is in the Similans, which is best dived from a liveaboard. Our children love liveaboards, because they can play iPad without restriction while we're under water. It's important that the operator understands that you have children, and that you expect (and are willing to pay for) babysitting while you're diving. Caution: liveaboard cabins are very cramped with little ones.

Having spent months on Koh Tao, and hundreds of dives there, and visited many, or most, of the other dive areas in and near Thailand Koh Tao has some things going for it that no others do.

1) Almost all the dive sites are less than 30 mins away, some off the beach.

2) You can dive every day of the year.

3) With so many dive operations and such short boat trips prices are very competitive.

4) If you want you can easily do 5 dives in a day, or 2 in a morning or afternoon, again because of the short boat trips.

5) It is easy to have, or avoid, the nightlife.

6) you will be back on the island for every meal.

The down side is that the dive sites, while good, are not the best in Thailand and it is the furthest island from the mainland.

Best place for diving in Thailand is the Andaman Sea.

I would not recommend a Similans liveaboard with a kid of that age, unless you choose one which has dedicated supervision for non-divers, like http://www.thailand-scuba.com/similans-liveaboards-diving-A1.htm.

For daytrips, all places would be suitable. Phi Phi would be nice because of shorter boat rides, but also Ao Nang, Koh Lanta, Khao Lak and of course Phuket would be very suitable. Especially with non-divers also look at things to do for the rest of the family.

• Like 1

The Andaman Sea side of the island will offer the best diving.

As a resort for all of the family to enjoy, the Laguna Beach resort has many hotels of varying prices, so I am sure something will suit. Lots of good beach restaurants around there too.

You could also arrange qualified child care there for the days where the kids do not want to go on the boat.

There is a great Dive Centre at the southern end of Bang Tao Lagoon, so its close to the Laguna area. I have used that Dive Centre for more than eight years and they have a great quality small dive boat that can go to many of the dive sites around that area.

H2o Sportz - Contact Klaus

h2osportzphuket.com

• Like 1

The Similans are not what they were but then again where is .....

If you go with Seabees in Chalong, you can book the children who are too young to dive , to snorkel off the same boat that takes you diving and for a 7 year old that is a good intro to the whole scene.

The boat staff will really do a good job of taking care of them whilst you are under and they will enjoy the snorkelling.

I have done this with my own daughter and she was diving as soon as it was legal, getting an OW at 12 years old.

Thanks for your feedback. It is i not for myself, so they have to decide, what is most important. If it was for me, I would prefer to dive less, and then in a good location? The youngest is 7, but they have older children too, if they not dive, they can keep an eye on the youngest, which is not a baby ether. Problem with starting point in Phuket, although much to do, it is really, really crowded and prices are rocket high.

But I guess what is important is the variety of what to see under the water.

Understood, but incidents like this have happened before, and in many locations across Thailand. Just like every other country around the world. This unfortunate incident has brought the spotlight onto the mafia practices that occur in these areas. But they are still very safe. And I'll bet right now hotels are very cheap and security is elevated.

I went to Bali just after the bombing many years ago. Why? To help support the locals with my tourist dollars. I did the same in Phuket right after the tsunami. Speaking with the locals, they really appreciated it.

I'm not sure how much "speaking to the locals" you'll be doing in Koh Tao....amd how much they will appreciate it......

Thanks for your feedback. It is i not for myself, so they have to decide, what is most important. If it was for me, I would prefer to dive less, and then in a good location? The youngest is 7, but they have older children too, if they not dive, they can keep an eye on the youngest, which is not a baby ether. Problem with starting point in Phuket, although much to do, it is really, really crowded and prices are rocket high.

But I guess what is important is the variety of what to see under the water.

I would not leave my children in the care of strangers while my wifey and I go diving for 40-60 minutes unless my oldest child was a Navy SEAL.

D"on't you think you are exaggerating a bit? Thais love children, I am going for 25 years to Thailand, and that was never an issue!

Edited by indieke
  • Like 2