The murders on Koh Tao.

benalibina

No, as this is the kind of justice I expect in Thailand, Money or Influence talks..... That's for sure,

Not a week goes by, and there is something. Crazy that happens, and then it's all forgotten about, and the Culprit is out walking the streets again,

i.e. - "Redbull Grandson"..... I could go on, but we all know and are used to this..

How they can live with themselves, beats me....

Obviously non thais bribe cops too.

• Like 1

Don't want to sound uncaring, but after a while hardly anyone remembers. A couple of murders ( high profile ) took place on Samui & it's always business as usual.

The only ones concerned are the people living here & they remember, as for the general tourist populace I don't think most of them are aware.

Pretty much agree except that only the family and close friends of any victims truly remember. Those still living here only really get upset when it happens again but like myself, they probably don't dwell on the realities of life (and violent death) in LOS.
  • Like 1

Don't want to sound uncaring, but after a while hardly anyone remembers. A couple of murders ( high profile ) took place on Samui & it's always business as usual.

The only ones concerned are the people living here & they remember, as for the general tourist populace I don't think most of them are aware.

Sad but true, a mate visited over the weekend from Dubai, he gets all the UK telly but was completely unaware of the events of the last couple of weeks :(

I have been through with Thailand for a while now. A hotel wanted 10k baht for supposed "damage" I caused to a room (a drawer wouldn't open and the ice cube tray in freezer was cracked) I lost my temper and insisted the manager call the police. The police listened to both sides and said I owed 20k baht - 10k for hotel, and 10k fee to BIB for settling the dispute. When I protested I was threatened with "Monkey House". I came to my senses and offered 5k. Cops took it and left.

Pretty much agree except that only the family and close friends of any victims truly remember. Those still living here only really get upset when it happens again but like myself, they probably don't dwell on the realities of life (and violent death) in LOS.

no i will continue to live here as long as the wife is happy.

in 31yrs.i have seen enough expecially the tourist area's so nothing really shocks me to make me want to leave and at my age well.as nan points out its mostly friends and family that suffer that goes mostly to the ones that live overseas.

some here as long as they get a nice lump sum that will do.

one thing i can say is thailand has become lawless.

Just another day in paradise ,no different from anywhere else ,murders rapes muggings ,far more prevelant in the west , after 23 years i have never been ,mugged ,beaten up turned over by the police have only seen one fight ,3 Thais going at it , we were broken into once ,police caught him not long after and my car has never been vandalized or broken into and the wheels have not been stolen ,now in my old home town ,that was a regular occurance for most of us ,we were broken into ,i saw myself two muggings in a couple of months ,no i feel much safer here ,and so tragic as it was these two poor tourists getting killed ,the truth is its a five minute wonder and will soon be forgoton RIP kids.

• Like 1

no i will continue to live here as long as the wife is happy.

in 31yrs.i have seen enough expecially the tourist area's so nothing really shocks me to make me want to leave and at my age well.as nan points out its mostly friends and family that suffer that goes mostly to the ones that live overseas.

some here as long as they get a nice lump sum that will do.

one thing i can say is thailand has become lawless.

Thailand has always been lawless. But now the younger generation are more outspoken and have a more global outlook. They don't take it up the butt by authorities like the older generations. Facebook and twitter leave the cops squirming lol

• Like 1

No, as this is the kind of justice I expect in Thailand, Money or Influence talks..... That's for sure,

Not a week goes by, and there is something. Crazy that happens, and then it's all forgotten about, and the Culprit is out walking the streets again,

i.e. - "Redbull Grandson"..... I could go on, but we all know and are used to this..

How they can live with themselves, beats me....

Obviously non thais bribe cops too.

Money is Money wherever it comes from ....

OP, if I can tolerate all the other things and customs that are bothering me and I'm still happy living in Thailand, the Koh Tao murders will not change my mind.

I feel sad and cheated and wish things were better and Thailand grow up, as they say, but I doubt that I will see any change in my lifetime.

Hope this happens for the future generations and for the good of Thailand the country I still love and enjoy being here.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have been through with Thailand for a while now. A hotel wanted 10k baht for supposed "damage" I caused to a room (a drawer wouldn't open and the ice cube tray in freezer was cracked) I lost my temper and insisted the manager call the police. The police listened to both sides and said I owed 20k baht - 10k for hotel, and 10k fee to BIB for settling the dispute. When I protested I was threatened with "Monkey House". I came to my senses and offered 5k. Cops took it and left.

Maybe you hadn't been here long enough.

Just sayin'.......................wai.gif

Edited by chrisinth

The murder itself has no effect on my decision to be based here.

I have made a conscious effort to avoid situations that might lead to contact with the RTP, though.

Deliberately avoiding that left turn onto Asoke Montri from Sukhumvit when in a taxi at night, for example.

• Like 1

As Roo says come high season it will be all but forgotten apart from the family. People will still come on holiday and to learn to dive and always will.

You think so, Take a look at Pattaya. Some people do not forget, you pay for good publicity, but bad publicity costs millions and cost nothing..to acquire.

• Like 1

I'll go against the grain and say it has changed my opinion. I've seen a lot in my time but this whole thing has been an utter disgrace, such that I would be out of here were it not for the effect it'd have on others. Yes it happens everywhere and things get forgotten/return to normal, but the stink around this case is palpable; of innocent, slain people then treated like meat in the name of face.

After all the lies, rubbish talk from the PM and knowing that if you step on the wrong toes or accidentally make some perp lose face it can all go wrong for you, living here just seems all the more unpleasant. I've always known this of course, but this case just brings it to the fore. I dunno, perhaps I'm a hypocrite for staying on, but two things I won't be doing again: Koh Tao and recommending people visit this country.