Getting married, but where?

Mister Fixit

OK, after 7 years living together my G/F and I have decided to do the decent thing and get married in late January next year. We've been engaged over a year and live in a rented house at Khae Rai, Nonthaburi, but advice from two friends was to say that we just to go to the Silom amphur to register the marriage as they speak good English and have a lot of experience of marriages between Thais and foreigners.

However, one of them has just come up with some news - his pal was married 4 years ago, and lives in Bang Bua Thong but tried to get married at Bang Yai as it was nearer. They were refused and told to go back to Bang Bua Thong because their house was there.

Also, there is some confusion about where my wife's name is registered and on what house 'blue book' (tabian ban?). As I said, we both live in a rented house at Khae Rai but I assume any blue book would be held by the landlord who lives opposite and my fiancée should be on there.

To complicate things further, when I met her she was registered at her father's house at Lat Lum Kaew in Pathum Thani, which was fine by me. HOWEVER, about 5 years ago she started studying herbal medicine at Phitsanulok College every couple of months for 8-9 days, before moving to Tak college 2 years ago because it was a third the price of P'lok.

However again, she seems to have registered her ID card and herself at P'lok College and when the election was held on February this all came out as she said she wasn't going to P'lok to vote. Her reason for registering there was that all students at P'lok were told they were required to register there, and from what I gather it was so that the college could get higher Government subsidies, but it was never made too clear - her English vocabulary is not that good. This could be a load of cobblers, or completely true, so I need to investigate.

SO, what I am asking is this - can we just, (with all paperwork in order) just tootle down to the Silom amphur office and do the deed, or do we need to marry at Nonthaburi amphur (where we currently live), or should she change her address back to her father's place in Pathum, or go there to get married, and then, do we have to marry at the appropriate amphur office?

No way am I traipsing to P'lok to marry! I don't mind Silom, Nonthaburi or even Pathum Thani but it's important to know just where we go - I don't want to spend my wedding day running around between registry offices!

Any ideas, or is this all too confusing?

Edited by Mister Fixit

Have the ceremony first after all that's the only part she is interested in sin sod etc then do the paper work later. If she takes your name register at her home amphur if not then any one will do.

No sin sod being paid from here, mate. I don't pay anyone to get married. You can't do the marriage ceremony without doing the paperwork first, anyway.

What on earth are you on about? Some Buddhist ceremony which doesn't mean a thing legally?

Seems to me there's a lot of people who marry bar-girls on here.

Another TV clot posts again.

• Like 1

I got married in Bang Sue Amphur, wife was registered at another apartment in the Nonthaburi area.

Or why not go to the office on Rattantibeth in the Government compound.

Thank you, a sensible post made by an intelligent person at last!

In a previous post, I said I had been misinformed (probably by a TV member in disguise!) and I know now that is true.

I was going to get married at Silom because I was told it was easier, and since my other post, I have seen photos of P'lok co-students of my fiancée, both getting married at Silom, one to an American and another to a German. However, I was also told last night that it is pretty crowded and I should get there at 8 am as there can be a long wait. Hardly romantic.

In fact, I live about a mile from the Ratthanthibet 'jot tabien' and I'm off there today to see what the score is. There are a number of advantages, 1) close to home, and 2) close to a good restaurant on the river for a wedding dinner, 3) less likely to be crowded and 4) a nice park opposite for photos. The possible downside is they may not be as au fait with English but I shall find out when I visit in about an hour.

Many thanks for a decent post, Beano, unlike the low-life TV members who only like to carp and stir the sh!t ... you know who you are and so does everyone else on TV, judging by the replies.

• Like 1

Footnote:

I did the party at Ruenjaowsao, near the river in Pakkred nice place easy for us to get to, the monks were booked, and the food was okay, also not that expensive.

Edited by beano2274
  • Like 1

OK, all sorted. This hoo-hah was all caused by a third party who gave duff into to a friend, who passed it on in all innocence. I spoke to the third party who admitted he'd got confused with getting married and registering his house which happened in the same week and he'd forgotten which caused what!

I went to the marriage registry at Nonthaburi on Ratthanathibet Road earlier today. No-one spoke English, but they did show me a copy of the 'affirmation to marry' in English, which I had already typed up weeks ago. As we aren't getting married until January, I don't see the need to take this to the UK Embassy until earlier that month, then get it translated and stamped at Chaeng Wattana (yes, I do know what has to be done) so it's all ready say, 2 weeks before.

The girl at Nonthaburi told me (in Thai) that I couldn't book a time, but had to take a queue ticket (how romantic!) , but in late January, it should be no problem as people didn't get married when it was cold! It's OK there, the registry office is right on the corner of Makutromsaran Park close to Khae Rai, just a mile and a bit from home. I often go jogging there and it's very nice and just right for photos later.

After that, to my favourite restaurant, Baan Rabiang Nam in Sanam Bin Nam (15 minutes away) for a good feed and a few beers. No temples, no monks, no big fuss, no sin sod, just nice and quiet with a few friends and family.

I was told Bang Rak gets very crowded and is like the Skytrain in the rush hour, so I don't fancy that. I was divorced 23 years ago and if I'm going to get married again after that length of time, I don't want it to be on a conveyor belt.

I'm still going to pop to the Bang Rak registry office next week though. Having lived here for over TEN years, I know to double and triple check whatever you are told! They will probably have everything in English there too, and will hopefully explain more fully than the Thais I spoke to could, and it won't stretch my Thai too much.

So, for all those who allayed my concerns and provided good advice, many thanks. BTW, Beano, where is Ruenjaowsao? I don't know it, although I know Pak Kret pretty well.

For the others, grow up and stop trolling ...

Edited by Mister Fixit

You can marry at any amphur, but some may insist on a translator if you do not speak sufficient Thai or them enough English.

You will also need two witnesses.

As for the affirmation, make sure you have the latest version, it has changed since I did mine in February and could change again before you get married.

Do not sign it until you are in front of the officer at the British Embassy.

The charge from the embassy is ridiculous for the time it takes, but no way of avoiding that.

I married my wife in Banglamung (Pattaya) in February this year, her house registration is in Bang Bua Thong, Nonthaburi, but that was no issue.

We turned up at 9am and they also have a ticket system, we were called within 2 minutes and it was all done in 20 minutes.

We are also having the Buddhist ceremony, the 9 monks are booked for 0709 on the 1st November and my Thai-style gold wedding suit has been rented.

I will post regarding the cost and what actually happens after the event.

Best of luck to you and your lady.

• Like 1

You can marry at any amphur, but some may insist on a translator if you do not speak sufficient Thai or them enough English.

You will also need two witnesses.

As for the affirmation, make sure you have the latest version, it has changed since I did mine in February and could change again before you get married.

Do not sign it until you are in front of the officer at the British Embassy.

The charge from the embassy is ridiculous for the time it takes, but no way of avoiding that.

I married my wife in Banglamung (Pattaya) in February this year, her house registration is in Bang Bua Thong, Nonthaburi, but that was no issue.

We turned up at 9am and they also have a ticket system, we were called within 2 minutes and it was all done in 20 minutes.

We are also having the Buddhist ceremony, the 9 monks are booked for 0709 on the 1st November and my Thai-style gold wedding suit has been rented.

I will post regarding the cost and what actually happens after the event.

Many thanks, yet another informative and intelligent post.

I was pretty certain I could get married any old where, but this 3rd party I mentioned who messed things up, which made me start to wonder. I was unaware of the translation issue, but my Thai is pretty decent and the Thais who will be with me will help out if I get stuck. Thanks for that.

I was aware of the two witness thing. but at Nonthaburi today, the girl seemed to be saying that the witnesses must be THAI people. I was hoping my UK pal would be a witness, but if this is the case, then he'll have to be best man instead. As long as he gets his three Heinekens and a good feed later, he won't care ... :-)

As to the affirmation, well, I took the affirmation pro-forma/template from Thaivisa, so I'll know who to blame if it's wrong! The example in English they showed me at Nonthaburi today looked the same and was dated 2007, and they are still using it! Good infonot to sign the documentation until I am right there in front of the registrar, along with my passport etc.

Agreed re the Embassy charge - stupidly expensive. Any idea of the translation cost?

Just as I was told at Nonthaburi, there's not much waiting in the cooler months!

Wow! What a ceremony! You are going the whole hog! :-) Be very interested to hear. Could you PM me details of the monks etc, as I wasn't going to do it, but maybe she wants it, but you know Thais, maybe she doesn't like to say ...

And to you and yours.

Many thanks for an informative and intelligent post. Multiple likes! :-)

Mister Fixit, I had the translation done at a place opposite the British Embassy, I was with my good lady and we were approached by a tout as we left after getting the affirmation stamped.

There are several companies nearby and all are much the same, we paid 300 Baht for the translation and used them again for translations of the wedding certificate, registration and my wife's birth certificate, once again 300 Baht per page and a few Baht for extra copies.

I was lucky as I had my partner with me whilst they were doing the translations, she speaks good English too, and she told them how she wanted the translation of my name into Thai on the affirmation, as that is how it is for ever on Thai documents.

When we went back for the post-wedding translations they also made a couple of mistakes as they just cut and paste into a form.

I know it is a bit of a pain, but having both of you there to check the details is sensible.

• Like 1

Yep, Trat, where we were visiting friends, was snotty and refused to marry us, as we live in Nakhon Si Thammarat. But the law says any amphur must marry us.

We went to Bangrak, not far from Silom. Very, very nice and helpful people, took 45 minutes. Didn't even need witnesses.

My total investment: 40 baht.

Best wishes.

• Like 1

The latest version of the form is here

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/information-for-british-nationals-intending-to-marry-in-thailand

It is now called "Affirmation of Marital Status"

Thank you - that is precisely the one I have, which I think I got via a link on TV, or perhaps from the UK Gov't website as above.

Already typed up in Word, BUT under 'usual address' I have put my Thai adress, where I have lived for 7 of the last 10 years. I don't have a permanent UK address any more. My landlord is a Mom Luang, and his wife and daughter a 'Na Ayudhaya' so I doubt they'll question them!

Should I put a UK address here? I have my brother's address if necessary, although I'd prefer not to involve him. All my UK data is elsewhere. I am on a retirement visa and don't expect to return to the UK permanently.

Have the ceremony first after all that's the only part she is interested in sin sod etc then do the paper work later. If she takes your name register at her home amphur if not then any one will do.

No sin sod being paid from here, mate. I don't pay anyone to get married. You can't do the marriage ceremony without doing the paperwork first, anyway.

What on earth are you on about? Some Buddhist ceremony which doesn't mean a thing legally?

Seems to me there's a lot of people who marry bar-girls on here.

Another TV clot posts again.

Pff what clown, good luck with your hooker.