Bangkok Police defend 'anti-bribery' cash reward

webfact

BKK Police Defend 'Anti-Bribery' Cash Reward
By Khaosod english

BANGKOK - The Metropolitan Police Bureau have defended the handing out of 10,000 baht in cash to traffic police officers who refused to accept bribes from motorists.

Pol.Maj.Gen. Adul Narongsak, deputy commander of the MPB, said today that the reward serves as a "morale-boosting" instrument that encourage police officers to perform their duties in an honest way. The reward is a part of the anti-bribery campaign launched by Bangkok police on 4 October.

He went on to dismiss accusation from the public that the 10,000 cash reward is unnecessary because police officers are already required by laws to turn down bribes.

"Police commanders have to respond appropriately to success or failure of their agencies," said Pol.Maj.Gen. Adul, "In the past, we have also handed out rewards to police officers as a morale-boosting method, such as the Traffic Police Gentleman Award, certificates, and trips to study police operations in foreign countries."

The officer also hopes that the cash payment will help reduce the widespread problem of police officers extorting bribes from motorists, and added that the public can assist the police force by snapping photos or filming police officers who take bribes.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1412933037

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-10-10

• Like 1

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The idea is stupid for sure. But for those people who take it as an opportunity to take part in some Thai bashing, please take note they probably copied this idea from our neighbors in the South who implemented this earlier this year also.

• Like 1

But recently between this and the koh tao debacle it couldn't sink any lower.

It's a crucial moment for the junta - are they going to come out and use these as reason to address the shocking state of the Thai police force or are they going prove that they are just a part of the same old problem. Congratulating the police on the Koh Toa fiasco would currently indicate the latter,

• Like 1

You give extra reward for doing the job assigned, to boost moral. Thats the carrot part of the practice now who and when do you hit them between the ears with the 2 by 4 to become professional/trustworthy enough that they get satisfaction/moral boost from doing a good job which they are paid to do?

The police get rewards/shares for drug busts, traffic fines, year end bonus, tea monies, littering, pollution, wrong color urine, handling money disputes between private citizens, music liscense fees, and the list goes on and on. This should be strike 3 for major general Adul in his mastering of managment methods and incentatives for the hired help.

• Like 1

The idea is stupid for sure. But for those people who take it as an opportunity to take part in some Thai bashing, please take note they probably copied this idea from our neighbors in the South who implemented this earlier this year also.

It's still a stupid idea.

And not even original.

Doing something stupid is bad enough, but seeing someone else do it and then copying the idea is just ridiculous.

• Like 2

Is it just me, or has the level of bizarre nonsensical statements emanating from the Thai authorities exploded since the supposed leap into a new realm of happiness a few months back? It's like the "think before you speak" meme has been abolished in Thai officialdom.

That started with yingluck.

• Like 1

Is it just me, or has the level of bizarre nonsensical statements emanating from the Thai authorities exploded since the supposed leap into a new realm of happiness a few months back? It's like the "think before you speak" meme has been abolished in Thai officialdom.

No, it is not just you :-) But its good fun, right?

• Like 1

I wonder how long it will take for many Thais to wonder if they really want to live in a country that's a mix of Singapore as for society rules and Burma for the political regime. Clearly that's what the junta is heading towards and I'm not sure that the average Thai person is ready for this.

For sure this anti-bribery scheme does not raise hurras from some road warriors I've spoken to (like clothes sellers who make the trip from they jangwat to Pratunam at least once a week). Sure, that might clamp down on the number of imaginary offenses they are charged for, but it also means that whenever they get pulled over by a cop, they might waste the rest of the day going to to a distant police station they can't find, doing a likely time-consuming paperwork and eventually pay way much more than the cop would have asked for,

I'm waiting until restrictions on alcohol selling and consumption are strictly enforced country-wide (not only in Bangkok) and other similar measures likely to be immensely popular to see whether the current ruler's aura starts fading or not.

Edited by Lannig
  • Like 2

I guess it's important for you to believe that, but no, it's reached a nonsensical epidemic of recent.

• Like 2

No, it's not just you. When you have a bunch of bankers (spoken with lips split apart) running the country, as it was 100 years ago, what can one expect?

Lese majeste, and we'll arrest you if you say anything bad about us or the BIB....... what more credence can one offer?

Apart from, "what I thought was a good change is now turning into a ridiculous bastardic situation".

Nothing here worth deleting, apart from that the whole situation is now becoming even more worse, as <deleted> who are ill-educated (thick as shit, basically), have overtaken the country BY FORCE, AND HAVE NO EXPERIENCE AT OR IN WHAT THEY ARE DOING...... Same old same....

It is getting more diabolical day by day, quite frankly and, unfortunately, there is little we can do about it. :(

• Like 1

I wonder how long it will take for many Thais to wonder if they really want to live in a country that's a mix of Singapore as for society rules and Burma for the political regime. Clearly that's what the junta is heading towards and I'm not sure that the average Thai person is ready for this.

For sure this anti-bribery scheme does not raise hurras from some road warriors I've spoken to (like clothes sellers who make the trip from they jangwat to Pratunam at least once a week). Sure, that might clamp down on the number of imaginary offenses they are charged for, but it also means that whenever they get pulled over by a cop, they might waste the rest of the day going to to a distant police station they can't find, doing a likely time-consuming paperwork and eventually pay way much more than the cop would have asked for,

I'm waiting until restrictions on alcohol selling and consumption are strictly enforced country-wide (not only in Bangkok) and other similar measures likely to be immensely popular to see whether the current ruler's aura starts fading or not.

I don't quite get your last sentence. Alcohol sales are not restricted pretty much anywhere in the world. It is individual responsibility to consume measures one can handle WHEN NOT DRIVING, and not consume when one does drive, or how much one consumes with a meal and does not, etc. You would condone going back to black-market sales, because of lessened legal sales? FFSs you must be 90 years old, and from Chicago??

I guess it's important for you to believe that, but no, it's reached a nonsensical epidemic of recent.

Someone is telling porky pies here.

All monies from fines should go to the treasury.

Nonsensical statements have been on the go for years, and more so from the Shinawatta realm.---+ TAT etc.---you my friend are in complete denial re PTP government. To state that it is more bad now is completely biased to say the least.

Using this topic to bash the PM and it's problems---joke they inherited them.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I don't quite get your last sentence. Alcohol sales are not restricted pretty much anywhere in the world. It is individual responsibility to consume measures one can handle WHEN NOT DRIVING, and not consume when one does drive, or how much one consumes with a meal and does not, etc. You would condone going back to black-market sales, because of lessened legal sales? FFSs you must be 90 years old, and from Chicago??

He was being sarcastic about it.

"The Metropolitan Police Bureau have defended the handing out of 10,000 baht in cash to traffic police officers who refused to accept bribes from motorists."

Who's bribing whom? It appears that the Metropolitan Police Bureau needs to bribe its officers to be honest and do their job. The one they are receiving a salary to do. Shouldn't they be ferreting out the dishonest police and prosecuting them for breaking the laws they swore to enforce? Well, at least one thing is "fair" about all this: Average paid policemen get the same treatment under the law as a wealthy heir to a fortune receives. Unfortunately, those with no political connections or in positions of power get tortured until they confess to crimes they didn't commit.

Edited by jaltsc