UK MPs to vote on recognising Palestine as a state

Lite Beer

When a country is attacked by neighbors -- and pushes back and their land - that they claim - is taken - it is called the law of land warfare... been around for thousands of years ... Lesson to be learned -- Don't start a war with Israel - you will lose and lose what lands you hold... too bad - so sad...

But Israel has not been around for thousands of years but Palestine has.

Why can't people live in peace - we all came from the same place! Why all the fighting?

• Like 1

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am not a Jew but, if I were and, Thailand voted in Palestine's favor, Jewish investment money would cease coming to Thailand.

Oy vey, don't be such a drama queen.

post-37101-0-97616100-1413047494_thumb.j

Thailand recognized Palestine in 2012, boychik. Thailand also have very good relations with Israel.

Edited by Jingthing

This is exactly how U.K politics works, get a motion going in Westminster and it gives hope to the beleaguered . Wow they have a voice in Westminster.

I tried to explain to a Kurd living in London who believed that the Kurds had a voice because one British Politician turned up and spoke at one of their rallies.

That it is an illusion.

And that was in 1990.

Whatever the outcome of the vote, let us not take this as a valid reason to pour hard earned tax payers money (aid) into the state. The Palestinians want their own independence, no problem, let them support their own with their own resource, aggregate for construction(?)

Funnily enough, I have American friends who say the exact same about Israel, how much of the hard earned Uncle Sam tax payers money do they take in each year.

$3.1 Billion this year, $120 Billion since 1949.

I start counting from 1878...

I forgot how "informed" you are about the whole conflict. tongue.png

The Israelis only want the Palestinians to get a recognized state when they live up to their pledge in the Oslo Accords - dealing with Israel directly - and stop the terrorist attacks. It is pretty simple really.

The Oslo Accords

Or are you still ignoring me?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/sep/12/oslo-israel-reneged-colonial-palestine

Back to the topic.

While I know it pleases Israel demonizers to "stick it" to their object of disdain, the state of Israel, they might want to consider this movement for unilateral recognition of Palestine state without cooperation from Israel is not really the answer ... that it might just MAKE THINGS WORSE.

Here is a great argument from the Israeli left wing on that very point:

Officials in Israeli and British Labor parties trying to thwart vote on recognition of Palestine

"I understand why many of you will want to vote for anything which claims to be a contribution to peace. But immediate and unilateral recognition of Palestinian statehood does nothing to advance this vital cause. In fact, precisely the opposite," the letter continues.

The secretary-general emphasized in the letter that unilateral moves have led to more conflict and violence in the past, and noted that one of the principles of the Oslo Accords, signed between Israel and the Palestinians, is that any dispute will be resolved by negotiations.

"Unfortunately, unilateral moves simply play into the hands of those on Israel hard right, which wants to suggest that we have no partner for peace, and that the Palestinians do not want to sit down and negotiate with us," Bar wrote the British lawmakers.

http://www.haaretz.com/

Edited by Jingthing

Whatever the outcome of the vote, let us not take this as a valid reason to pour hard earned tax payers money (aid) into the state. The Palestinians want their own independence, no problem, let them support their own with their own resource, aggregate for construction(?)

Funnily enough, I have American friends who say the exact same about Israel, how much of the hard earned Uncle Sam tax payers money do they take in each year.

About 7.000.000 usd per day.

Hamas are only labelled as “ terrorists “ because it is convenient for Israel for them to be regarded as suchph34r.png

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/119064/b-yehoshua-israel-should-call-hamas-enemy-not-terrorists

My thoughts are that if UK government were to recognise Palestine (a nation state that is still a figment of imagination) it would contribute to the momentum for Hamas being accepted as a non terrorist political entity, thereby such a move will be heavily resisted.

Edited by simple1

I think you will find that the Palestinians would be more than happy to go it on their own with no help from any other state; they just want their country back which was stolen from them. The reason the British are voting to recognize Palestine as a state is because they are tired of keeping their hand on their back pocket in case their wallet gets lifted. 666 either way.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Then why can one almost guarantee the blue suede shoes will be apoplectic with rage?

There should be an amount of rage over several wars and thousands of deaths in the last 60+ years all for nothing. The 'Palestinians' could have had a large state of their own in 1947 but turned in down. Instead they have waged war on the legitimate state of Israel ever since. The fact that Israel has defeated every attack does incite rage in some, lets hope Israel continues to defend their right to exist. There never actually was a Palestine and the conflict is not really about this at all, it's a religious conflict.

Every single sentence in jacky's post is untrue. We have been there many times before so I dont wish to go off topic.

Why not look to the future rather than the past?

Israel claims to want peace within a two state solution, so what's the problem? UK is simply agreeing with them, with perhaps an emphasis this time about being more serious.

Edited by dexterm
  • Like 1

The future is in the hands of the 'Palestinians'

I agree and that's why they should go directly to the international community, who ought to stand up for what is right, as Sweden has recently. At least with the UK vote tomorrow we will be be able to see who the hypocrites are.

The Palestinians can never win militarily, but it looks like they are winning diplomatically.

• Like 2

The future is in the hands of the 'Palestinians' they have had several chances for a state but have continued to prefer war over peace, so far it has only brought them death.

As already said in this topic these issues have been endlessly debated on TV. I think it is fair to say during these discussions it's generally agreed over the years both sides have contributed to a failure to reach a deal. Below is analysis of the failure of relatively recent negotiations that underlines the complexity; some will agree, some disagree and the cycle will go on.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stephen-zunes/us-culpability-in-the-fai_b_5455371.html