Time to address the plight of taxi drivers

Lite Beer

EDITORIAL
Time to address the plight of taxi drivers
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Prajin's promise to set a new fare system is welcome considering cabbies have suffered years of neglect

Ever since Thailand introduced meter-taxi services 20 years ago, the fare has been adjusted only once - and that was about 11 years after the launch.

It wasn't exactly a big hike and the general response was relatively subdued, meaning no uproar from the public like when the price of other items like petrol, diesel or cooking gas, go up.

The current Transport Minister Air Chief Marshal Prajin Juntong has said the government is looking to set a new fare system.

Prajin said the taxi operators have accepted the government's condition that they should improve the quality of their service. It is not clear what the government means by improving the quality of service, other than meeting the basic safety standards.

Authorities have met taxi operators "to create understanding" about the new rate, which is expected to come into effect by December. It should take the government about 45 days to inspect every vehicle in service.

The new fares will largely be based on distance travelled. Officially, the aim is to help taxi operators earn more than Bt300 per day, the daily minimum wage that was introduced by the government of Yingluck Shinawatra.

According to Deputy Transport Minister Akom Termpittayapaisit, the government is taking into consideration the operation cost of the taxi operators, their income levels and expenses, or the cost of living.

For people who barely make ends meet and live hand to mouth from day to day, it is high time the government did something to improve the livelihood of the taxi drivers.

Think about it: Amid the rising cost of living year after year over the past two decades, the government has only made one minor adjustment to the fare. It was as if the drivers were immune to the hardships arising from inflation compared to the rest of the population.

There was some hoopla during the government of Thaksin Shinawatra when he introduced the "Taxi Aur Arthon" to help operators purchase their own vehicles.

But because of the rigorous requirements, the project - which was in line with his other populous scheme - eventually flopped. Looking back, it is not hard to see the lack of sincerity behind Thaksin's half-hearted efforts to help those in the lower income brackets.

The fact that this government is taking into consideration the drivers' livelihood is a good start and should be welcome. Other considerations should include time off so they can repair their vehicle or spend some free time with their families.

Let's hope that the recent statement from the current government is more than just lip service to the people who experience hardship and difficulties like any of the other labour-intensive sectors.

What's sad about the predicament of today's cab drivers is that nobody really speaks up for them. Do we expect the owners of taxi fleet to do that? After all, their concern is more about getting all their vehicles out on the road.

There is nothing to suggest that the fleet owners are concerned with the plight of the taxi drivers, as the vast majority of them rent the taxis rather than own it.

Over the years we have heard all sorts of complaints about the rude behaviour of taxi drivers, like refusing a fare because of the distance, or making unwanted advances or conversation with the customers.

True, there are bad apples out there. But let's not generalise because it doesn't tell the whole story.

For a start, there has to be a sense of fairplay for the drivers. If they feel that they are being adequately paid through the metre system, perhaps they will not turn down fares as often as people claim they do.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Time-to-address-the-plight-of-taxi-drivers-30245286.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-12

• Like 1

First of all they should have a proper taxi license not just an ID.

Any murderer or rapist can hire a taxi with zero background checks as long as he has a Thai Driving License.

The only way out of this is to create a UK style system where you have Black Cabs who are professional drivers fully papered and Mini Cabs as they are called which are cheaper but offer little security and anyone can drive one. Then the customer can choose.

If fares go up all you will see is a huge influx of new drivers driving the same clapped out filthy wrecks.

That system in the UK sounds a bit mental, so you can choose between an expense professional service or the possibility of a rapist driving you into town?

Why not just meet somewhere in the middle

• Like 2

Any murderer or rapist can hire a taxi with zero background checks as long as he has a Thai Driving License.

The only way out of this is to create a UK style system where you have Black Cabs who are professional drivers fully papered and Mini Cabs as they are called which are cheaper but offer little security and anyone can drive one. Then the customer can choose.

If fares go up all you will see is a huge influx of new drivers driving the same clapped out filthy wrecks.

That system in the UK sounds a bit mental, so you can choose between an expense professional service or the possibility of a rapist driving you into town?

Well at least you have a choice. There are women drivers available too. Any suggestions?

With all the wealth flaunted in Thailand, taxi drivers, house keepers, and other workers should be targeted to earn much more than 300 baht per day.

Yes, yes, just wave a magic wan to raise everybody's pay...magic is great.

There should be a taxi control board who sets the standards of conduct, fare charge, handles all complaints ,any serious is referred to the RTP (heaven help us) they also designate where the taxi will operate, they organize taxi schools for training , drivers should do a month at school and the meter charge review annually, it's easy to do, like most things in Thailand you get a mad rush of blood to the head and then long periods of sleep ,nothing is ever cut and dried, so that everyone knows what page they are on.coffee1.gif

When there are too many taxis chasing too few customers there will always be a problem.

Exactly, its simple economics in action. Taxis are a commodity subject to the effect of supply and demand.

I have been turned away from far too many cabs because my wife asks for the meter and been driven the "long way round" in order to spike up the fare when the meter is used to even begin to feel an ounce of sympathy for these cabbies.

I would support a fare increase only IF they absolutely had to use the meter, which won't be done, so all that really happens with this idea is the metered fare will increase, ergo the cash fare will increase, and cabbies will still be leaving customers at the curb who request a meter.

Besides, farang already pay a premium fare simply for being farang.

But because of the rigorous requirements, the project - which was in line with his other populous scheme - eventually flopped. Looking back, it is not hard to see the lack of sincerity behind Thaksin's half-hearted efforts to help those in the lower income brackets.

See, I told you so!

What like half fare and just a bit of foreplay ?

• Like 1

"That system in the UK sounds a bit mental, so you can choose between an expense professional service or the possibility of a rapist driving you into town?

Why not just meet somewhere in the middle"

A professional rapist... giggle.gif

If prices rise too high, many Thais won't use taxis cos they won't be able to afford them. There has to be a balance.

And the only reliable way that we know of to find that balance is to allow a free market to operate. Price fixing is the problem, not the solution.

If prices rise too high, many Thais won't use taxis cos they won't be able to afford them. There has to be a balance.

And the only reliable way that we know of to find that balance is to allow a free market to operate. Price fixing is the problem, not the solution.

In 10-15 years when the mass transit system is finished, taxis will be largely obsolete.

Thais who can't afford a taxi can take a bus, train, boat, whatever. Sorry about their luck, that's life.

Thais who can't afford a taxi can take a bus, train, boat, whatever. Sorry about their luck, that's life.

Bike taxis are gonna be busy

"Officially, the aim is to help taxi operators earn more than Bt300 per day, the daily minimum wage..." cheesy.gifclap2.gif

Most taxi drivers I know, and see, live in pretty well to do upmarket townhouses, at worst. rolleyes.gif

I don't think many taxi driver have only Bt 300/day. In facto they are self-employed, and depending on if they own the taxi or rent the taxi they havee an income's well above this Bt300 mark. And I most say they earn it. I would not like to sit & drive for 10-12 hours every day in the traffic or waiting for customers.

For sure, a change in the taxi fares is reasonable and I think most customers will not have a problem to pay little higher fares.

...............But because of the rigorous requirements, the project - which was in line with his other populous scheme - eventually flopped. Looking back, it is not hard to see the lack of sincerity behind Thaksin's half-hearted efforts to help those in the lower income brackets................

thumbsup.gif

Unfortunately, i think the extra revenue earned by the taxi drivers will end up in the owners' pockets by raising the shift fee.

Therefore, no change to either the drivers' standard of living or quality of service; except perhaps for the owner-drivers, who are probably making a decent living already.

So, the only change will be more expensive rides for you and me! And perhaps less income for the drivers as more people seek out public transport instead.

• Like 1

The meter still starts at 35 baht i think, shd be 45 or 50, and instead of higher meter charges, there shd be restrictions on vehicles on certain roads, taxi lanes basically - more people shd use cabs, not their cars.. but make taxis safer too, background checks and health checks

Unfortunately, i think the extra revenue earned by the taxi drivers will end up in the owners' pockets by raising the shift fee.

Therefore, no change to either the drivers' standard of living or quality of service; except perhaps for the owner-drivers, who are probably making a decent living already.

So, the only change will be more expensive rides for you and me! And perhaps less income for the drivers as more people seek out public transport instead.

Probably you are right. For those drivers who have to rent per shift, the income wouldn't change much. More income, but also higher fees to rent.

I still think all taxi drivers already has a reasonable income. I don't believe it is just Bt 300/day. I spoke with many over the years, fee for rent half shift (12hours) are usually between 500-800/day depending on operator/quality/age of the car. But I agree the rates should be increased moderate.e

The drivers/owners (mostly yellow-green and yellow-red) have the best quality cars and willing to give good service.

And for all those whiners about to high prices for farang (or farang together with Thai friends), I not agree at all.

I never have a problem, and I take at least 100-200 taxi's/year for the last 10 years. Some drivers know the way well, some you have to help a little by givng directions. If the taxi refuse to use the meter, just go to the next one. Or walk 50 meter away and try again.

Many times I just open the door and get in first, then explain my destination and insist on using the meter (it works).

I had even many, many times taxi's for long distances (200-450 km away from Bangkok). Just bargain with 1-2-3 drivers and you will be on your way.

Of course taxi drivers deserve a decent reward for their labour. But much more also needs to be done to ensure passengers travel safely and without being ripped off.

Fortunately, I don’t live in Bangkok, but every time I visit trying to take a taxi can result in one or more of the following:

Driver has no idea of where to go - and no map to consult.

Driver understands only Thai.

Driver with For Hire light on refuses fare because destination unfamiliar or inconvenient.

Fare refused because passenger won’t agree sky-high “off meter” fare in advance.

Driver dumps passenger in the middle of nowhere because it is the end of his shift (When this happened to me. I was dropped at a filling station miles from my destination and told to get another taxi).

Taxi clapped out, dirty and uncomfortable.

Driver drives recklessly and dangerously fast.

In meter taxi, driver stops after a short distance and refuses to continue because the passenger declines to go “off meter” for rest of journey.

Driver deliberately takes unnecessary lengthy “round the houses” route to inflate metered fare.

Driver has no “float” of money to give change for fare.

I could go on, particularly on the subject of safety and security. My Thai wife tells me that neither she nor any of her women friends would ever take a taxi on their own. Enough said - we have all read the horror stories.

While I am not saying all Bangkok taxi drivers are rogues, an awful lot do take liberties. For this reason, any increase in fares should be accompanied by a review of existing rules and regulations to ensure a better deal for customers. This is just for starters.

The whole industry needs a shake-up, commencing at the top with the well-heeled owners of the taxi fleets whose sky-high rental fees leave the drivers – mostly impoverished immigrants from the sticks – with little choice but to work ludicrously-long shifts and rip off passengers in order to survive.

Then, and only then, will we get the kind of safe, efficient, value-for-money taxi service the Thai capital’s millions of residents and visitors deserve.