The Investigation Into Thailand’s Backpacker Slayings Is Officially a Farce

Lite Beer

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Kingsley Abbott, Bangkok-based adviser for the International Commission of Jurists...adds, the burden of proof rests on the prosecution, as the two men must be presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Or as we say back home in Colorado: Ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat

Can someone tell me if Thailand Criminal code does, in fact, have a tradition of presuming one's innocence until proven guilty?

Thank you

Burden of proof is on the prosecution to prove the crime 'beyond a reasonable doubt'

Judge arbiter of facts. They decide if burden of proof has been satisfied.

That's good to know, I thought it was all down to the size of one's wallet.

• Like 1

In other late breaking news

Thailand has announced it has invented a cure for Reality

Oh come now, farang have known this simple truth for atleast 50 years.

Thats why its been so popular a destination.

Good to see there is one other who understands Thailand and the farang who live in it.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"if" the DNA "is" an (honest and genuine) match, then their "confessions: mean absolutely nothing in the big scheme of things . . . cases are (should be) tried and judged on facts (supposedly) . . . and their biggest piece of evidence is the DNA . . . except no one now believes it's a genuine or truthful match . . .

Match! it could be if both samples where taken from the suspects. Not too hard to do.

In the full TIME article re CCTV: but is circumstantial at best.

In the USA, there have been murder convictions based upon circumstantial evidence when the body of the 'murder' victim has never been recovered.

Yes but slightly different circumstances... Those investigations probably were not shrouded in negligence, bribery, lying by officials, torture and incompetence

That this one is is only speculation. That will up to a judge. A Thai judge. In Thailand. Where a crime occurred in Thailand. Not in UK. Not in Myanmar. Thailand. Under Criminal Procedure Code of Thailand.

bad enough

• Like 1

This has been a farce since day one.

You're absolutely right, the number of ill-informed, insensitive, speculative posts that have appeared, and continue to appear, here is a farce, I'm glad someone else recognises that.

You are totally right.?

There have been about 2000 posts on the subjects over the different threads on here ( just a guess I didn't count them) which is almost as many different stories the BIB have told us so far.

With out the pressure from social media on the inconstistencies of the investigation, there would not be any article on the Time and other intnl press, no pressure from Human rights activists and RTP would have gone away with it, as it has always done. This is a great opportunity not only to find the real murderers, but also to reduce corruption in Thailand.

Exactly this is why there are Thais outside the court rooms with their banners for certain civil cases, it's because they want press coverage as they know...

• Like 1

I very much doubt we will ever know what has really happened. The "best" we can probably hope for is that the Myanmar "suspects" survive, then probably will have to be released at some stage because of insufficient evidence, and any "independent" review of "evidence" will be inconclusive because all the key evidence is either compromised, missing or was never taken. "They" will absolutely never admit to any wrong doing, they were determined from the start to do whatever it takes to protect the culprits. And, given what is for them at stake now, they will not change their stance. The Myanmar guys were probably (so far) extremely lucky because it took "them" a bit too long to think how to explain TWO suicides... Had it been just one suspect he would have been dead already... having two suicides to explain took them just a bit too long to come up with a plan... and by then the "danger of suicide" was already out in the media and made it is even harder for "them" (still not impossible...) to get rid of the inconvenience... Otherwise that would have been the solution: DNA "proof", confession, public parade, suicide... THE PERFECT "solution"... surely successfully rehearsed proven "successful "a few times"

Let's better not call this a "botched investigation"... what happens here is of a VERY different "class"...

Sorry, have to go and throw up now....

I fully agree, especially to the 2nd last sentence!

Btw... I'm throwing up on a daily basis since the double murder was discovered... And there we have another one - "I have to Koh Tao!" (throw up)... would be all funny if it weren't that sad. Sickening also to read the announcement "Tourists flocking back to Koh Tao"... as it shows how quickly people forget :(

• Like 1

The prosecutor will proceed to trial. A judge will be appointed. Outcome will be guilty. Do you really have any doubts that this won't happen? This is called due process, Thailand style. And there's nothing you or I can do to effectively challenge this outcome.

I'd be over the moon to have to eat my words...

Fear you are correct Stephen - it however from now on will be called "Koh Tao style" instead of Thailand style... Never thought there could be anything worse...

Kingsley Abbott, Bangkok-based adviser for the International Commission of Jurists...adds, the burden of proof rests on the prosecution, as the two men must be presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Or as we say back home in Colorado: Ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat

Can someone tell me if Thailand Criminal code does, in fact, have a tradition of presuming one's innocence until proven guilty?

Thank you

Having read this mornings editorial in one of the two major English language papers here, I am horrified to discover that the police give the prosecutor the 'evidence' and then recommend the sentence. So, it would appear the proof of guilt and sentence is largely with the police.

If I've read that correctly I am horrified, but cannot mention the source as I think the moderators on this forum do not allow direct quotes from certain publications. It scares me to death that such a system exists.

I'm no expert, but I believe in the UK the cops submit the evidence to the Director of Public Prosecutions and they make a judgement on whether or not the case has a reasonable chance of success. Others will correct me if I'm wrong. coffee1.gif

That's the trouble when you eliminate (Just for a while mind) all political wrangling and discussion , there is nothing to hide behind when your country is under scrutiny. Seems like quite a few murders and violent acts towards farangs lately ? , same as always just nothing else on or allowed to be on the front pages

In the USA, there have been murder convictions based upon circumstantial evidence when the body of the 'murder' victim has never been recovered.

Yes and more than one innocent person has been executed, very scary but that is the USA for you.

Yes -- and also people that kill someone and are able to dispose of the body or destroy all directly incriminating evidence are not let off the hook just for that reason. But seems lots of people on here already know the outcome of any judicial proceeding here in Thailand but maybe let's not spoil it for those who want to stay and see the ending.

• Like 2

There is still at least one murderous psychopath out there, laughing at the fact the he has so fat gotten away with it.

it's not ONE psychopath, it's an entire clique who goes to ANY length for whatever they fancy... a lone psychopath is a cuddly pet compared to what's really happening...

"at least"

The U.S. Supreme Court has stated that "circumstantial evidence is intrinsically no different from testimonial [direct] evidence" (Holland v. United States, 348 U.S. 121, 75 S. Ct. 127, 99 L. Ed. 150 [1954]). Thus, there is little distinction between direct and circumstantial evidence with regards to admissibility of evidence in trials. However, the quality and quantity of circumstantial evidence may be subject to more challenge of interpretation than direct evidence.

Even the use of DNA analysis might be considered circumstantial evidence as it only indicates a probable attacker iwth mongoloid [asian] features as the island hundreds people fitting that characteristic. The effective use of circumstantial evidence requires a more cummulation of evidence (motive, finger prints, victim's blood on accused's clothing, incriminating or untruthful statements, no alibi, etc.) than direct evidence ("I saw the hoe in the accused's hands hitting the victim").

So once the accussed recanter their confessions, the police report would appear weak with interpretation of possibly faulty circusmtantial evidence and opens the investigation to claims of bias if police can't "repair" their investigation.

There is still at least one murderous psychopath out there, laughing at the fact the he has so fat gotten away with it.

it's not ONE psychopath, it's an entire clique who goes to ANY length for whatever they fancy... a lone psychopath is a cuddly pet compared to what's really happening...

"at least"

sorry, I missed that... ;)

The U.S. Supreme Court has stated that "circumstantial evidence is intrinsically no different from testimonial [direct] evidence" (Holland v. United States, 348 U.S. 121, 75 S. Ct. 127, 99 L. Ed. 150 [1954]). Thus, there is little distinction between direct and circumstantial evidence with regards to admissibility of evidence in trials. However, the quality and quantity of circumstantial evidence may be subject to more challenge of interpretation than direct evidence.

Even the use of DNA analysis might be considered circumstantial evidence as it only indicates a probable attacker iwth mongoloid [asian] features as the island hundreds people fitting that characteristic. The effective use of circumstantial evidence requires a more cummulation of evidence (motive, finger prints, victim's blood on accused's clothing, incriminating or untruthful statements, no alibi, etc.) than direct evidence ("I saw the hoe in the accused's hands hitting the victim").

So once the accussed recanter their confessions, the police report would appear weak with interpretation of possibly faulty circusmtantial evidence and opens the investigation to claims of bias if police can't "repair" their investigation.

And dragging the suspects to reenact the crime in front of the media would mean that a case like like this would have been thrown out by the first district judge that it was presented to.

• Like 1

ok totally off subject, but to endorse how people do not read posts properly, i have a female friend who had her phone nicked and i asked about getting a s/h phone, now it appears ever reply, i get is calling her "my girfriend" <deleted>

Edited by metisdead
Profane acronym

So the police report will soon be given to the prosecutors and then everyone can then analyze how weak it is.