Chiang Mai kicks off artificial rain mission

Lite Beer

Chiang Mai kicks off artificial rain mission

CHIANG MAI, 12 October 2014 (NNT) -- Chiang Mai has kicked off its artificial rain making mission so as to add water into a key dam.

Mae Kuang Udom Thara, the dam that feeds water for vast arable land west of the city has lately had very low amount of water due to less rain amount this year. Currently, the dam holds 43 million cubic meters of water, equivalent to only 16 percent of its capacity.

Therefore, the center for artificial rain making in the northern region kicked off its operation on October 9. Four airplanes participated in a cloud seeding method, spraying chemicals on a cloud to enhance its ability to produce precipitation.

The center has hoped the mission will be successful, which will enable farmers to have enough water for their needs during the upcoming drought season.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-10-12 footer_n.gif

It rained like crazy. I guess artificial rain making really works.

"artificial rainmaking" is cloud seeding, the clouds must be present then dusted to form the necleus of each drop, normally this occurs around a pollen or dust particle. Todays event may or may not have been the result of govt. efforts.

Rain was forecast for this weekend. Good time to seed. However, this morning's storm came over from the SE of San Kamphaeng, from Lampang. I tracked it on the tmd rain radar website. I doubt it spilled much, if any rain over the catchment for the Kuang reservoir.

Rain was forecast for this weekend. Good time to seed. However, this morning's storm came over from the SE of San Kamphaeng, from Lampang. I tracked it on the tmd rain radar website. I doubt it spilled much, if any rain over the catchment for the Kuang reservoir.

I am curios, why foreigners care about rain?

• Like 1

I was planning to go hiking in the very area the storm came through. Always best to check the weather thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I was planning to go hiking in the very area the storm came through. Always best to check the weather thumbsup.gif

Thanks for explanation, you cannot imagine what was in my mind: a forgeinger, working on rice field and waiting for rain hahaha

CHIANG MAI, 12 October 2014 (NNT) -- Chiang Mai has kicked off its artificial rain making mission so as to add water into a key dam.

Rain fall is targeted at replenishing water supply, besides hiking, others want water to drink, cook, and bathe with.

Rain fall is targeted at replenishing water supply, besides hiking, others want water to drink, cook, and bathe with.

Plenty of water for drinking, cooking & bathing. The water they want is for irrigating the dry season rice crop. And they missed the target, I think. Rain was well south of the reservoir they need to fill.....

... and because others drink, cook and bathe one shouldn't be allowed to check weatherforecast before hiking or biking ?

Interesting theory ...

Btw. what sort of 'chemicals' get released here? That safe?

... and because others drink, cook and bathe one shouldn't be allowed to check weatherforecast before hiking or biking ?

Interesting theory ...

I'm not sure the name but it is an invention of His Majesty he invented when he was younger.

They tested this near Pattaya some years ago, I can't remember the outcome though.

Interesting theory ...

I'm not sure the name but it is an invention of His Majesty he invented when he was younger.

They tested this near Pattaya some years ago, I can't remember the outcome though.

Thanks, seems to have become common practice, i wasn't aware of that; see more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_seeding

• Like 1

Thanks for explanation, you cannot imagine what was in my mind: a forgeinger, working on rice field and waiting for rain hahaha

Actualy some of us do grow rice.

Also if the rains were to stop now, it would be a very long & unpleasant dry season.

• Like 1

Hope you enjoyed your tour.