Procedure once obtain Thai nationality

May I consult you about procedure once obtain Thai nationality. I can imagine that once I get approval, I will get a Thai ID and Thai passport. How about other steps such as

1) Change name: Can I keep my maiden name as I am using it now or I just have a Thai name with my husband's family name?

2) For other documents with my pervious name (such as house registration, driving licience, university degrees, banking account), do I need to report and change all to the new Thai name?

3) Does Thai allow dual citizens

Thanks for your kind reply in advance. Have a good day!

May I consult you about procedure once obtain Thai nationality.

How do you plan on obtaining Thai nationality? Marrying a Thai man does not confer Thai nationality onto you. Even becoming a "permanent resident" is not all that easy.

Qualifications of an applicant:

1. An applicant must have received permission for yearly stays in Thailand on a non-immigrant visa for at least of three years prior to the submission of an application for permanent residency. Holders of multiple NON-Immigrant visas can not apply. You must have 3 un-broken yearly extensions in order to qualify.

2. An applicant must be holding a non-immigrant visa at the time of submitting an application.

1. Holds a passport of his/her current nationality, which was granted a Non-Immigrant visa and the individual has been permitted to stay in Thailand for at least 3 consecutive years on a 1-year visa extension basis up to the application submission date.

2. Has personal qualifications that meet one or more of the following categories:

1) Investment category (minumum 3 – 10 Mil. Baht investment in Thailand)

2) Working/ Business category

3) Support a family or Humanity Reasons category: He/she must have relationship with a Thai citizen or an alien who already posses a residence permit as the followings:

• A legal husband or wife
  • A legal father or mother
  • A child who is under 20 years of age up to the submission date of application and must be single

4) Expert / academics category

5) Other categories

http://www.thaivisa.com/residence-permit-thailand.html

Edited by Suradit69

Sorry if my question is not clear. I got married with a Thai and about to get Thai nationality soon (already approve by Ministry of Interior). I would like to ask once I get Thai nationality, how to deal with the documents that have my old name (given at birth)? Thank you

Sorry if my question is not clear. I got married with a Thai and about to get Thai nationality soon (already approve by Ministry of Interior). I would like to ask once I get Thai nationality, how to deal with the documents that have my old name (given at birth)? Thank you

Others can answer in more detail but I think:

1. You will not need to change name. The law already allows the female spouse to maintain her maiden name. Acquiring citizenship does not change that. On the other hand, if you adopted your housband's name at marriage, your name has changed already and you have applied with it.

2. You will have to be registered in a yellow book, and have your nationality updated in all relevant documents and accounts. You will want to be identified by your future Thai ID card rather than foreign passport. All your own original documents will remain unchanged and valid.

3. Short answer, you can safely maintain your original citizenship. There are many threads on the subject and I don't want to preempt complete answers on that especially.

Edited by paz

Congratulations.

To your answer I don't think there is any requirement that you need to change your name.

Thailand allows dual citizenship, but your original country may not.

May I ask when did you apply? My wife has applied but we are still waiting.

Edited by samran

Others can answer in more detail but I think:

1. You will not need to change name. The law already allows the female spouse to maintain her maiden name. Acquiring citizenship does not change that. On the other hand, if you adopted your housband's name at marriage, your name has changed already and you have applied with it.

2. You will have to be registered in a yellow book, and have your nationality updated in all relevant documents and accounts. You will want to be identified by your future Thai ID card rather than foreign passport. All your own original documents will remain unchanged and valid.

3. Short answer, you can safely maintain your original citizenship. There are many threads on the subject and I don't want to preempt complete answers on that especially.

2. Wrong She will be registered in a blue house book as a Thai. It will probably be in the same house book as her husband. Once registered with a Thai ID number she will get a Thai card.

3. Thailand has no law that prohibits dual nationality. So yes they do allow dual nationality.

• Like 1

Dear all,

Thanks for your kind replies.

1) As of now, after 6 years of marriage, I still use my maiden name and all of my documents are with this maiden name. That's good if I dont need to change my maiden name to a Thai name, but please give me any reference where it is available. Where can I contact to apply for an Thai ID? Police HQ or amphoe?....Anyhow, I am still curiosity if a person with Thai nationality have a foreign name? Has anyone experienced that ?

2) I started to applied since 2/2011 and go through quite many steps, got final interview by the MOI about 7/2012, then just got the MOI announcement in early 10/2014. Follow procedure that I read in Thaivisa, maybe next 6 months approximately I can get Thai ID (once the King approve and make the oath)...It is long journey and please be patient, when I almost forgot about it (boring with the follow-up and waiting for no news), it finally comes _()_

Dear all,

1) As of now, after 6 years of marriage, I still use my maiden name and all of my documents are with this maiden name. That's good if I dont need to change my maiden name to a Thai name, but please give me any reference where it is available. Where can I contact to apply for an Thai ID? Police HQ or amphoe?....Anyhow, I am still curiosity if a person with Thai nationality have a foreign name? Has anyone experienced that ?

2) I started to applied since 2/2011 and go through quite many steps, got final interview by the MOI about 7/2012, then just got the MOI announcement in early 10/2014. Follow procedure that I read in Thaivisa, maybe next 6 months approximately I can get Thai ID (once the King approve and make the oath)...It is long journey and please be patient, when I almost forgot about it (boring with the follow-up and waiting for no news), it finally comes _()_

I think the name thing is fine, I know a Thai national with a foreign name.....my wife, passport, ID, etc all changed to my name after we married.

• Like 1

Dear all,

Congrats.

My wife had her final MOI interview 11/13, so looks like we are about a year or so behind you.

• Like 1

After you finish the procedure to get your Thai nationality everything will be done at the Amphoe.

That would be getting a Thai ID number issued, registry in a blue house book and then your ID card. After all that you could apply for a Thai passport at any passport office.

Then after you have the Thai passport you will have to leave and re-enter the country using your Thai passport to clear your status as a foreigner with immigration.

• Like 1