Thai opinion: What has Europe ever done for us?

webfact

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

rolleyes.gif What an absolute load of crap, lots of words that say sweet f a,this guy really can talk the political way, if you have trouble getting to sleep just try to get through the whole of this post, beats counting sheep by a mile, guess news must be thin on the ground whistling.gif time to move on nothing here coffee1.gif

Thailand cannot survive on its own. If all foreign investment was to exit, foreign loans be recalled and tourism cease, the result would be catastrophic. Even a slight decline would be harmful. There is nothing wrong with loving your country but wake up to the foreigners, companies, banks and governments that patiently support the nation. Alternatively, embrace isolation and see where that goes.

The social media were swamped with nationalistic opprobrium, with some calling for a tit-for-tat response and others going as far as to say Thailand should shrug off any diplomatic pressure as it could easily live in isolation.

Certainly I'm no fan of the EU but if the Thais honestly think they can live in isolation then let them try. Imagine if every expat left, tourism dried up and sanctions were implemented to prevent foreign investment... that type of isolation would throw Thailand back into the dark ages within 6 months of less. Think... no expats spending, no tourists dollars, no import duty raised... the list goes on.

And here lies the rub... nationalistic rhetoric with no substance of the harsh realities that the world is now a very small place and that without foreign investment, be it tourism, expats or indeed trade, Thailand would be plunged into abject poverty.

concrete, where would they be without it!

MRT and Skytrain

Educating the highest in the land

Their highway code

We never bothered colonising them

stamps, coins

Military hardware, ships and planes.

pizza

tourist dollars

invention of the world wide web

cars

trains

kicking out the Japanese

The daily Mail- ha ha

• Like 2

concrete, where would they be without it!

MRT and Skytrain

Educating the highest in the land

Their highway code

We never bothered colonising them

stamps, coins

Military hardware, ships and planes.

pizza

tourist dollars

invention of the world wide web

cars

trains

kicking out the Japanese

The daily Mail- ha ha

Pizza?!?!? you made my day!!! :)))

What has Eurooe ever done for us ?

We have given you old , retired men who willingly has shared of their fortune so both Thai wife, kids and the rice famers in Isaan could survive and live a good life. And we're talking about maybe 100.000 men so not a small contribution from EU to Thailand.

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

It was "Farang" the Portuguese in fact that introduced the Chilli to Thailand and also taught them how to cook many of the sweets they now eat.

This xenophobic attitude is nothing new, keep it up Thais and stay in poverty and we will continue to enjoy cheap holidays and lifestyle.

Everyone needs everyone; i.e. we learn off each other no no one country can stay in isolation, you cant do it on your own, you need help. Only dictatorships carry on like this.

• Like 1

They have more in common than the author thinks. At present both are run by the unelected unaccountable..

Whatever faults the EU has, and there are many it is largely run by the elected European Parliament. The other main body is the Council of the European Union which comprises ministers from the elected governments of the member nations. There are I think 5 other bodies which are overseen by the parliament. Not every post is elected which is the same in most governments . It's hard enough getting people to vote for the parliament let alone anything else.

Several people have claimed that Thais don't understand what the EU is and that's probably true but the same can be said for many Europeans. I have to admit my knowledge is rather limited but I do know enough to realise it isn't run by unelected bureaucrats.

AUSTRALIA goes one step further banning Thai Junta and families from visiting their country.

Its of course the role of Thailand to view things differently.

But in the big wide world Juntas seizing power always meets the current commentary .

Australia is currently under the rule of Captain Moron from Planet Lunatic. Please ignore until further notice.

The reason why Abbott is in power is because the previous party completely f***** it up, internal wrangling's and power games they lost the plot.

Its good they banned the Junta and their families. "And their families" why would these cronies want to visit farang country if they are so nationalistic and hold such disdain for foreigners? they should be on their hands and knees 24/7 giving thanks for the wonderful lives they have over there.

• Like 1

It is a terribly written article - content free. The free democratic world takes a stand against military seizing of democratic and civilian government. The US should stand more on its stated principles and break off any relations with Thailand and stop pandering to Thailand military dictatorship representatives at US taxpayer expense.

I think the US and EU are just pointing out they don't agree with non democratic governance. They may well have felt uneasy about the last government as the US and most of Europe wouldn't accept the Thai version of government either. If it ends in something like a proper democratic system then I'm sure they will be happy as most of us here will be.

It would be difficult to cut off all ties as they have interests in Thailand both in business and their citizens who live here.

Edited by kimamey

It is a terribly written article - content free. The free democratic world takes a stand against military seizing of democratic and civilian government. The US should stand more on its stated principles and break off any relations with Thailand and stop pandering to Thailand military dictatorship representatives at US taxpayer expense.

Principles:

Good friend with Saudi Arabia (democratic)

Supporting Islamists against the Soviets

Supporting Pol Pot

A Thai dictatorship should be a very small problem....