Thai cops may still get rewards for charging people offering bribes

webfact

Cops may still get rewards for charging people offering bribes
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Metropolitan Police chief Pol Maj-General Adul Narongsak yesterday denied reports that the project offering Bt10,000 in prizes to police officers who arrest people offering bribes had been scrapped.

"It's just been put on hold," Adul said, adding the suspension was ordered because some misunderstood the objectives of the project.

"I am ready to explain the project to my supervisor. If it gets the green light, I am ready to implement it immediately," he said.

Adul said he supported the project because it would boost the morale of good police.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Cops-may-still-get-rewards-for-charging-people-off-30245406.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-14

this project will be a recipe for entrapment

Over the weekend Adul also said that police officers had been instructed not to use cameras or ' stealth ' devices to gather evidence as it might make the public feel the police are their enemy !

It's all down to a motorists word against police who can so easily produce Bt 50 or 100 notes as ' proof ' of the bribe offered.

I hope a note is kept of the serial nos of the notes to see how often the same officers produce them as ' evidence '.

• Like 1

Cops may still get rewards for charging people offering bribes

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Metropolitan Police chief Pol Maj-General Adul Narongsak yesterday denied reports that the project offering Bt10,000 in prizes to police officers who arrest people offering bribes had been scrapped.

"It's just been put on hold," Adul said, adding the suspension was ordered because some misunderstood the objectives of the project.

"I am ready to explain the project to my supervisor. If it gets the green light, I am ready to implement it immediately," he said.

Adul said he supported the project because it would boost the morale of good police.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Cops-may-still-get-rewards-for-charging-people-off-30245406.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-10-14

For the amount of bribes that go on daily with the RTP how could one sustain handing out 10,000฿ each offense.

One would wonder who passed this by the financial department with apparent declining incomes and the fact that police already receive a monthly payment for enforcing the law called a salary.

Just like we like catching people breaking rules on business, work permits, visa's, not wearing their helmets and other hot topics... Why not charge these corrupt officers with real fines and jail time.. Im sure after a few police go away and disappear some others may consider how much they value their life on the outside.

NSW in Australia among other states had huge corruption issues and it was dealt with not by handing out more money to corrupt officers but enforcing the actual law!

Again, if Thailand wants to promote themselves, it won't be done by a display of rewarding officers with what virtually is a bribe itself.. Incentives are rewards for good work, and to remain as an incentive it can not be handed out on every instance.

Another sign that the police are in more control on the bottom of the tree rather than the top...

• Like 1

start with decent wages this would be a change.

Paying police on the ground a decent wage is a start. However, the current system feeds so much money up the chain to the high level cops that they would probably lose millions of baht a year if they had to make do on a salary appropriate to their position. The only way to really stop the corruption is to aggressively follow the money, prosecute, and start sending them to jail. But highly unlikely !!!

I do wholeheartedly support this project. As a fact, I support anything and everything the Thai Police do and plan to do. The more the merrier, I say. Anything that showcases what the Thai Police is all about, their priorities, their loyalties, their mandates, their communication skills, their intelligence, their superiority in everything they touch, their chain of command, their integrity, their ethics... - these are all highlighted by projects like this. Keep on going!

• Like 2

This would be a good time to start selling Go Pro cameras.

I don't think I would want to drive without my video insurance.

The police will "gaengjai" the Thai people so as not to incur any

unnecessary hardships, but for those of us with "white" skin, look out!

I can see new YouTube channels being created just for this.

I do wholeheartedly support this project. As a fact, I support anything and everything the Thai Police do and plan to do. The more the merrier, I say. Anything that showcases what the Thai Police is all about, their priorities, their loyalties, their mandates, their communication skills, their intelligence, their superiority in everything they touch, their chain of command, their integrity, their ethics... - these are all highlighted by projects like this. Keep on going!

Ha!

So the plan is to scare the public into not offering bribes because he knows full well the police are so corrupt, they will readily accept them. Then when the scheme does end, the public will have been drained of some more cash, no corrupt police will have been caught and everything will go back to normal.

If he really wanted to stop bribery, the reward would go to people who give evidence of the dirty cops accepting illegal payments - who would then be immediately dismissed from the force.

But we all know the police have no intention of doing that and never will if they are left to sort themselves out. This charade is to appease the PM and try to avoid someone coming in and doing it for them.

"Adul said he supported the project because it would boost the morale of good police." Good police.....it would be interesting to read a Chrystal ball to to see how few there are!

Good police? "Don't worry: no money needed in kitty to pay off good police". Like looking for virgins in a cat house...

"Adul said he supported the project because it would boost the morale of good police."

And here sits little naive me who thought that a "good" public servant receives his reward from knowing he is doing a good job serving the public in the best possible ethical manner. It never crossed my mind that morale of the good police could only be boosted by boosting their salaries through entrapment.

In Thailand it is called a morale booster. In other parts of the world it is called a "shakedown".

Edited by jaltsc