Foreign tourist arrivals in Thailand drop 10.28 percent

webfact

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With rising living costs and stagnant wage growth, disposable income in the consumer countries is falling. I reckon that's the primary reason for the fall in tourist numbers.

If these numbers are compared to tourist numbers in similar destinations (long haul, say two to three week breaks) I wonder if there's a difference?

Of course recent events won't help matters.

Then why are all my favorite hotels charging higher advertised rates this year than the same months last year?

This is all part of the warped logic.

Tourism is down, so why not charge more to make up for the money we are losing. Tourism is up, loads of holidaymakers with lots of holiday money, so lets put the prices up while they are here and grab the cash while we can.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Those New Years calendars should do the job...

clap2.gif

cheesy.gif this is all one can do, at the idea of a holiday calendar for the tired, confused tourist,

who decided to buy into the beautiful brochures which lead them to Thailand.

Just wait till they see the beaches...

hopefully the calendars will look better,

than the real day to day life the coast line is bah.gif.

As it certainly won't show all the vendors outreaching for you,

while you try to relax, and take in some sun rays.

wai2.gif

• Like 1

A lot of posters are whinging about Hotel prices up - we just had an extended weekend family break on the coast that got a very good discount on a reasonable room rate to start with. The place was fairly empty and very few foreigners - talking to the management they have already had to cut staff and will have to crop again if things don't pick-up. But it's just the beginning of the season but their bookings are way down in comparison to the same time last year. I think the article earlier this week - Martial Law affecting tourism is the real reason. There is very little post coup news coverage in Europe and America - generally the only comment is that the military regime is solidifying power and keeping very tight control on things - for the average Joe that equals not a fun place for a stress-free holiday. I chatted to a friend in the travel business in UK and he said there was still strong resistance to traveling to Myanmar because as people noted "isn't that place still controlled by the army" Controlled by the Army = not somewhere for a relaxing holiday.

Then why are all my favorite hotels charging higher advertised rates this year than the same months last year?

Thai businesses are strange.When they don't have business They raise their prices.Why they do that I

Ndon't havevany idea.But I've seen it a lot.

Not difficult to understand why tourism is down when Thailand is the leader in so many ways over other SEA countries.

Nobody really cares about the government and martial law, but there are a few other reasons why tourist might go some other place.

1. Dirty beaches and water (except Manila's water front).

3. Over priced motorcycle taxis and taxis that refuse to use meters.

4. Muggings, robberies and murders of tourists.

5. Teenagers and man with guns, shooting in the streets.

6. HIV on the rise.

7. "Special pricing" for foreigners for goods, services, shows, parks and events.

8. "Special free tours" because some event or temple is "closed" today.

9. Overly aggressive katoeys on walkways and those looking to steal from foreigners.

10. Bar girls with the IQ and personality of a toad.

11. Police corruption and demanding money from foreigners.

12. Jet ski and motorcycle rental scams.

13. Dirty streets with garbage.

14. Trash and construction debris jumped in every open area.

15. Crazy drivers who don't have any knowledge of proper driving or consideration for anyone.

16. A Buddhist country where no one practicies the teachings of Buddha unless it is when they can personally gain from it.

17. The low class type of tourists that are currently being encouraged to visit Thailand discourages other tourists from coming.

18. Imcompetant leadership at TAT.

19. Raising prices when business is slow.

20. The friendly doormen and bouncers at night clubs who like to beat on foregners.

21. Thai men who would rather kill you than loose "face".

22. Yaba addicts everywhere.

23. And the list can just go on and on.

Excellent.

• Like 1

Even the predicted ' upside ' seems wildly optimistic as I cant see where the year on year high season increase will come from.

Yes the political situation has stabilised but that in itself wont encourage new visitors , in any case it will be more than offset by those who wont visit any country under military rule.

Yes the Chinese now get free visas but high season prices will nulify that saving and tourism from China is massively down so far this year.

Throw Russian economic woe into the mix , add recent British and European disgust at recent events , its not a promising recipe at all.

Thailand taking a hammering again,look around the world and everything that happens in Thailand is happening else where,far worse in some cases!

Let me tell you one of the main reasons for a drop in tourism,the greedy taxes on airfares,it will cost me over 2 k to just fly me and my family there,(2 adults 2 children 2&6 yrs) and then travel and hotels on top, over 650 to fly to Samui because of the monopoly on flights there.

I love Thailand and been backpacking round for the last 15 + years! But it's getting harder to do because of Greed.

Sounds like you are from the UK?

Their passenger tax is the highest in the world - all to do with insane green taxes- do they save the world- no just more revenue.

Now there are so many other places to visit and Myanmar is opening up. The infrastructure here is just so bad, rubbish everywhere, fly tipping ( in the major resorts) , flooding etc etc.

I like living here, and you get immune to walking on terrible pavements , driving on appalling roads- but look at fom the tourists' point of view who are only here for a couple of weeks -it's not exactly world class?

The one positive thing is TAT has been muzzled, it appears. Perhaps someone with integrity was asked to provide accurate information, for a change.

Great care was taken not to mention the islands, but again this was an opportunity missed, they could express condolences and support for (real) justice to be served.

Besides, KT is not symbolic of all the islands - far from it I would hope.

yeah, there must be at least 1 island where the locals arnt afraid to kill you because theyre untouchable..............anyone know that island????

The one positive thing is TAT has been muzzled, it appears. Perhaps someone with integrity was asked to provide accurate information, for a change.

Great care was taken not to mention the islands, but again this was an opportunity missed, they could express condolences and support for (real) justice to be served.

My contact on Samui tells me that tourism IS down on the island compared to last year.

Not difficult to understand why tourism is down when Thailand is the leader in so many ways over other SEA countries.

Nobody really cares about the government and martial law, but there are a few other reasons why tourist might go some other place.

1. Dirty beaches and water (except Manila's water front).

3. Over priced motorcycle taxis and taxis that refuse to use meters.

4. Muggings, robberies and murders of tourists.

5. Teenagers and man with guns, shooting in the streets.

6. HIV on the rise.

7. "Special pricing" for foreigners for goods, services, shows, parks and events.

8. "Special free tours" because some event or temple is "closed" today.

9. Overly aggressive katoeys on walkways and those looking to steal from foreigners.

10. Bar girls with the IQ and personality of a toad.

11. Police corruption and demanding money from foreigners.

12. Jet ski and motorcycle rental scams.

13. Dirty streets with garbage.

14. Trash and construction debris jumped in every open area.

15. Crazy drivers who don't have any knowledge of proper driving or consideration for anyone.

16. A Buddhist country where no one practicies the teachings of Buddha unless it is when they can personally gain from it.

17. The low class type of tourists that are currently being encouraged to visit Thailand discourages other tourists from coming.

18. Imcompetant leadership at TAT.

19. Raising prices when business is slow.

20. The friendly doormen and bouncers at night clubs who like to beat on foregners.

21. Thai men who would rather kill you than loose "face".

22. Yaba addicts everywhere.

23. And the list can just go on and on.

Very nice list and let me add one very important point:

They really don´t like foreigners

• Like 2

And of the 17.5 million tourists I want to know how many were "Sex Tourists"?

you can put me down as 1 if it makes you feel 'superior' as i will be here doing what ever takes my fancy and if that includes an afternoon or more with ladies that enjoy my company then thats what ill be doing.

and with mumbai in your name maybe sex tourists concern you because you cant afford anything unless its springs out of the bushes at the foot of monument hill....

Stop those stupid visa runs, and I will spend 6 months every winter in Thailand. Otherwise I can go somewhere else, without these visa runs aggravations. Schimi

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal.

With rising living costs and stagnant wage growth, disposable income in the consumer countries is falling. I reckon that's the primary reason for the fall in tourist numbers.

If these numbers are compared to tourist numbers in similar destinations (long haul, say two to three week breaks) I wonder if there's a difference?

Of course recent events won't help matters.

• British Airways owner falls by 7% - knocking £500million off market value
  • Low-cost airline easyJet down 5%; cruise ship operator Carnival falls 6%
  • There are fears that disease's spread could cause major travel disruption

Thai tourism is off because tourism anywhere that airplanes fly is off because of the Ebola scare. Nor rocket science really is it?

Edited by thailiketoo

Come to Thailand!

Watch soldiers operate with unlimited authority!

Stand by the side of the road and see soldiers search your vehicle!

Hear that knock on your door? Soldiers can search your building at any time and can inspect any letter, printed or transmitted material, including the internet.

Amazing, but true:

They can force people to work for the military, censor the media or detain anyone they have a reasonable ground to suspect is an "enemy".

Bet you don't have this back home!

beenhere2long, on 14 Oct 2014 - 10:04, said:
AnotherOneAmerican, on 14 Oct 2014 - 09:47, said:
ParadiseLost, on 14 Oct 2014 - 07:27, said:

From what I have seen, KT is a perfect example of all the islands.

Rape, murder, violence, gang control and mafia.

must say i found Kho Chang to be different from most of the other islands...very peaceful.

Add Koh Lanta and Koh Racha to that list - never felt threatened there.

yeah, there must be at least 1 island where the locals arnt afraid to kill you because theyre untouchable..............anyone know that island????

Yes Fantasy Island

Because they are using Thai-logic... When demand is low, then raise the prices to recover the lost revenue.

when demand is low,lower your prices further........then go bust! The UK has thousands of bust companies who followed the lower your price strategy. I think just hold your price and don't panic is the best move. Thai -logic is arrogant towards pricing policies. They will advertise a vacant room ,increase its rent by whatever percent year on year,even if 10 years later they never rented the room for 1 week they would believe themselves justified.Never thinking they were asking too much ten years ago and it still applies.

All because they heard second hand that someone somewhere was getting said x amount for a similar room.

But you have to balance the books,and if that means increasing prices to cover costs so be it. Whats the alternative! put money in.....no thats just a western idea.Thai-logic does not go there.

Thailand taking a hammering again,look around the world and everything that happens in Thailand is happening else where,far worse in some cases!

Let me tell you one of the main reasons for a drop in tourism,the greedy taxes on airfares,it will cost me over 2 k to just fly me and my family there,(2 adults 2 children 2&6 yrs) and then travel and hotels on top, over 650 to fly to Samui because of the monopoly on flights there.

I love Thailand and been backpacking round for the last 15 + years! But it's getting harder to do because of Greed.

And cheap backpackers like you!!! cheesy.gif

• Like 1

They want to stimulate tourism? Start by making an effort to deal with crimes against foreign tourists professionally, with transparency and in cooperation with expert agencies. Make people feel that Thailand is looking out for their guests, and the numbers might bounce back a bit.

• Like 2

How many of that 10% were border runners?

Well having extended a visa in Mae Sai and come through the major airports, I would guess that the number of "visa runners" each day is insignificant relative to the number of tourists entering daily by air.