Elastic bands.......a curse.

Costas2008

Today, dear members, I’m going to complaint about elastic bands.

Yes, those multi-coloured elastic bands, that Thai food vendors, tie all the plastic bags with food or coffee.

For the life of me, when I go home and try to open the bags, I can’t.

Mission impossible comes to my mind and I bet my blood pressure goes sky high.

I struggle with them by the hours, and when I think I found the way to take the plastic band out to my disappointment, I have tightened it more round the bag.

Give up at the end and I cut the neck of the bag with a pair of scissors.

Do you think, I have any success here?

No, because the contents of the bag is all over the floor the kitchen cabinets or my clothes.

I’ve tried in the past to invent a new way of securing the contents of the bag, but with no success.

Saying that, I’m amazed how Thai people can take out these bands in a jiffy.

No struggle at all, no swearing and cursing like me.

But for the sakes of thousands of expats living in this country, can anyone think of another way of securing the contents in the plastic bags, instead of using these horrible elastic bands?

If anyone does, maybe we can go into partnership and make, loads and loads of money.thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Hold the bag over the receiving bowl.

Cut the bottom of the bag halfway through the base of the bag.

The contents of your meal are effortlessly transferred to the bowl.

Sit down and enjoy.

Repeat process with the small bag of spicy condiments.

The elastic band seems to be a cheap easy closer. Opening depends on whether you want to reuse the elastic bands or not.

If you want to remove the bands whole you have to look carefully when the vendor ties up the bag, this will show the way to remove.

The easiest way to get at the contents is to hold the bag firmly just above the band and use a very sharp knife (small snap off blade type) to just knick the band, since it is under tension it will just pop off and fly away. Take care not to cut the plastic bag. Now open the neck of the bag and pour.out the contents. Done.

I never seem to get enough of them.

Very useful for making yoghurt, bit of plastic bag and a band over a glass of milk gives a perfect seal.

(Glass or milk + teaspoon of Yoplait Yogurt left out overnight with band and bag = glass of yogurt next day)

Perfect with some Macro frozen raspberries/blueberries and a teaspoon of sugar stirred in.

(or whatever fresh fruit you have to hand)

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 2

Ask the I eat on 100 baht a day brigade, they'll have the answer you seek.

Yes probably, at least they have some of the answers.

The clueless greenhorns don't have any.

Confirmation much appreciated pardner....

I said "they", not "we".

It costs me a lot more than 100 baht per day to eat, and I'm not clueless... I know how to take a rubber band off a plastic bag.

Edited by DeaconJohn

Cannot always open them but much better at it...

1st you need someone to show you a few times how they do them up, mostly then it is easy to undo.

the tiny bags get me there so small and so full, scissors is much easier.

One member suggested observing the vendor when they apply the rubber band. This is good, except that they do it so fast, you won't get it properly. Pay one 20 bt and have em teach you how to do it.

Confuscious once said "only way to unravel is learn how to ravel"

One member suggested observing the vendor when they apply the rubber band. This is good, except that they do it so fast, you won't get it properly. Pay one 20 bt and have em teach you how to do it.

Confuscious once said "only way to unravel is learn how to ravel"

Costas...why do you have to open your own food. What else did you get that wife of yours for?

I get my lunch delivered to the office for a whole 40 Baht a time (includes an extra egg), condiments in the little rubber band tied baggie.

I thought I had sussed the opening of the beast (you find the last loop and flip it over the top of the bag), but it seems the food lady has a new assistant who uses an alternative technique, I just get the scissors out.