Problem with bribery not confined to traffic cops: Thai editorial

webfact

With respect to Thailand, name me a country that isn't corrupt, and I'll name a person that lives on the moon. The only difference with this country is that the system is more open, and in view, whereas in other countries it is usually behind closed doors.

http://www.transparency.org/gcb2013/

Results here is a classic example about perception of corruption.

I believe the discussion is about Thailand and not another location, to include the Moon.

With respect to Thailand, name me a country that isn't corrupt, and I'll name a person that lives on the moon. The only difference with this country is that the system is more open, and in view, whereas in other countries it is usually behind closed doors.

Your comment is all to cock and nonsensical. You should have started with 'with respect to other countries... '. Corruption is indeed apparent in other places, it always will be so long as we stick with the monetary system, but that is not the point, it is not right across the board where you have to watch your back with every purchase you make and ESPECIALLY in any dealings with police. I believe the Philippines is particularly corrupt and that Thailand is not far behind. But in my home country it is practically non-existent with the police. I never have to open up my wallet if stopped (unless a genuine OTS fine), my only worry is was I at fault and is my vehicle up to par.

Equip the whole population with "button cameras" so that both sides can equally join the " war against corruption".

On which note a civic group headed by Atchariya Ruangrattanapong, chairman of The Club for Justice Under Investigation, has plans to implement a 20,000 baht reward to drivers who can provide a clip of police taking bribes, starting next year.

However, I agree with your suggestion of equipping ALL citizens with recording devices when entering every single government office of any stripe here.

Edited by jpeg

Seriously, the new "cam culture" could put something of a dent in the way things are done... Police would do well to remember, it gets easier every day. In the U.S., some police agencies have actually tried to make it illegal to record their activities. And I'm sure lots of politicians (starting right at the top) could do with a lot less of their campaign promises on video being thrown back at them.

Equip the whole population with "button cameras" so that both sides can equally join the " war against corruption".

Nah; large orders for button camera's means thicker brown envelopes for starters and then of course they would be made in China, so after a week they would fall to pieces meaning more orders and more brown envelopes !