Ranger arrested for killing 5-year-old girl in Pattani

webfact

Southern Unrest: Ranger Arrested For Killing 5-Year-Old Girl
By Khaosod English

14134479551413448019l.jpg
Security officers inspecting the site of a roadside bombing that injured 4 soldiers in Narathiwat province, 15 October 2014.

PATTANI — A volunteer army ranger is now in police custody for allegedly shooting and killing a five-year-old girl in the restive province of Pattani, where tens of thousands of security officers are stationed to quell a simmering Islamic separatist insurgency.

According to police, Panusak Makkham, 21, was out drinking with a friend last night when the two got in a heated argument. Panusak then opened fire at his friend, identified as Nattapol, but the bullets missed and hit Nattapol's five-year-old daughter instead. The girl was brought to hospital but eventually died from the gunshot wound.

Panusak reportedly fled the crime scene but surrendered himself to the police this morning.

The ranger volunteer has been charged with premeditated murder, unauthorised possession of firearms and ammunition, and unauthorised possession of a firearm in a public place.

Over 5,000 people have been killed in Pattani and its two neighbouring provinces, Narathiwat and Yala, since waves of Islamic separatist violence erupted in 2004.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1413447955

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-10-16

He is a "volunteer" ranger...who was off duty...why are we making this connection?

There is no way...you officials are going to get premeditated murder out of this...at best...involuntary manslaughter...there was nothing premeditated about having a few drinks...arguing...pulling a gun and firing...

So sorry for the little girl...such senseless taking of an innocent child's life...

This isn't a Thai bash here, rather a general observation. It is mind blowing the amount of men who get into debates with their "friends" and shoot at them or attack them violently. I honestly believe that deep down inside of many of these people, is a burning rage and hatred we as foreigners can not fathom. I've never seen humans literally explode the way they do. Perhaps, that is what Thainess really is, their ability to control that rage. Thais say we don't understand them, and perhaps that's what they mean. We don't understand that at any given moment, they are one second away from smashing someone's head in with a shovel.

I think, Tokay, you've hit it pretty much on the head. I have always said that Thais - and I mean this in general and am NOT referring to every single person in this country! - are walking pressure cookers, a condition arguably brought on by certain ingrained aspects of so-called "Thainess".

Thais are taught from childhood on to NOT show their feelings in public, to keep their emotions bottled up at all times, to never question authority nor criticize elders and parents, to stoically put up with their life circumstances because it's allegedly their "karma", to never risk losing "face" by admitting that they're wrong, and so on.

Needless to say that this constant suppression of emotions only serves to slowly build up steam - and sooner or later this tremendous pressure is going to be released explosively and totally unexpectedly. The problem is one can never be too sure how close any given individual actually is to that "trigger point". A single wrong word sometimes suffices - and boom!

And that particularly can happen when they're under the influence of alcohol (or other drugs), which, as is common knowledge, lowers the inhibition threshold. Perhaps that also is the reason why the majority of such cases involves males, who in general drink much more frequently and larger amounts than females.

Emotions are ok if positive, negative ones are taboo.

The tied in issue is that the ONLY acceptable time to let out these negative pressures is when very drunk.

There in lies the problem, they bottle the emotions up and only let it out

when they are least capable of handling them rationally...

So they act irrationally and often violently when drinking heavily.

Why they don't think to leave weapons at home when going drinking is another issue.

This isn't a Thai bash here, rather a general observation. It is mind blowing the amount of men who get into debates with their "friends" and shoot at them or attack them violently. I honestly believe that deep down inside of many of these people, is a burning rage and hatred we as foreigners can not fathom. I've never seen humans literally explode the way they do. Perhaps, that is what Thainess really is, their ability to control that rage. Thais say we don't understand them, and perhaps that's what they mean. We don't understand that at any given moment, they are one second away from smashing someone's head in with a shovel.

I believe this rage is a result of saving face. One can only suppress negative feelings for so long before it erupts either in addictions, violence, suicide, rape, etc.

I used to have a mate, who you could go drinking with and have a right good time with and then as you were leaving his house, he would fire a crossbow at you!! This is not a Thai thing but a human thing, its an alcohol fuelled thing, just 3 weeks ago in Brazil a guy shot his best friend to death for dancing to near his girlfriend in a packed night club, this sort of thing happens every where in the world, the world is full of crazy idiots so do not make it a Thai trait.

RIP little girl.

Edited by bigjules007
  • Like 1

Drink again. The hardest drug of all that every is soft on. And look at the result. Time for a crack-down, generals.

I don't think the little girl was killed by a drink. She was shot. Read and understand.