Thais spend more time reading

webfact

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to give you all what would be the equivalent of P6 ONET test in Thai and see how many of you pass it. Most of the detractors here are probably working as teachers or rather pretending to be teachers. How many books have they read in the past year?

The negative posts on this thread really jags my hubie! Thai kids at any step of the social will work harder than anyone at anything if you can get the point across.

My thai English students can't even write their name in English without checking their notebooks and 80% still get it wrong

It would be more interesting to explore whether you can actually write your own name in Thai, and if not, why you would think that is not necessary. Is it ฟิล or ฟิน? Is it ฟินลิป or actually ฟิล์ลิปย์ - or anything in between?

Wow....what they read? Facebook and LINE?!

340 Branches of SE-ED books and that is only one book store chain. May be you need to change the women you associate with.

Maybe you should enter a SE-ED book store more often. Mostly I see students sitting at the love story shelfs and most other customers at the Lifestyle magazines :)

I would be pleased if you explain your comment about my woman please?

Wow....what they read? Facebook and LINE?!

340 Branches of SE-ED books and that is only one book store chain. May be you need to change the women you associate with.

Maybe you should enter a SE-ED book store more often. Mostly I see students sitting at the love story shelfs and most other customers at the Lifestyle magazines smile.png

I would be pleased if you explain your comment about my woman please?

You wrote, "Wow....what they read? Facebook and LINE?!"

My thai English students can't even write their name in English without checking their notebooks and 80% still get it wrong

You are their teacher. coffee1.gif

Yes, he is. He apparently is still teaching them to improve, which you are not?

To all who wrote comments above, be honest, how many books have you read in last two months?

OK, those who live in bars (95%) are not allowed to answer we know already their answer. Thanks

I read one physical book for the last couple of months. Not much as I used to read quite a lot, before the Internet had enough information embedded.

Reading books might be some kind of indication of our ability to imagine and see the world from different perspectives. But then again in current day, books are outdated compared to the constantly updated information what is found on the net.

I think the OP talked about reading. Then the question is what constitutes as reading? If I read an article on wikipedia, is that equal to reading a book? How about if I listen to a lecture or a podcast of the subjects I'm interested of - how does that compare to reading a book?

Learning is everything, reading, listening, books, videos are just different medias to gain knowledge.

This must be a joke. I have introduced Thais to the book store (apparently, they don't frequent them) and offered to buy some/any books and the reaction was like I was going to pull their teeth. Lead a horse to the pond...but this headline is complete BS.

Read it again,it means people are reading web pages on their phone, not reading books. I can't remember the last time I saw a Thai reading a novel. Even at school. A teacher once saw Germinal by Zola on my desk and asked to borrow it. I few days later he came back and asked me if I had something which was more 'fun'.

...give him Nana.

.........what a naughty girl she was. I nearly gave him de Sade's Justine.

"Josefine Mutzenbacher" probably much easier to read. :-)

I hate to use personal examples, but I will. I once bought a fairly expensive and relevant book for a 17 year old Thai girl. I had it nicely wrapped and handed it out at a family party which I was invited to. I will never forget the disappointed look on her face and the disappointment of everyone that it was a "book" of all things. I don't think to this day that that book has ever been looked at or even opened.

According to an article by Dianna Dilworth on March 3, 2014 Thailand ranks second worldwide out of 29 countries (between India and China) spending the most time reading with 9.24 hours spent reading each week while the more industrialized countries like the USA, Germany, Taiwan, and Japan spent about half the time for reading. The US places No. 22 and South Korea places last!

The application of these statistics alone to anything meaningful would seem very suspect.

(chart ref. Infographics)

post-171049-0-96058100-1413605482_thumb.

According to an article by Dianna Dilworth on March 3, 2014 Thailand ranks second worldwide out of 29 countries (between India and China) spending the most time reading with 9.24 hours spent reading each week while the more industrialized countries like the USA, Germany, Taiwan, and Japan spent about half the time for reading. The US places No. 22 and South Korea places last!

The application of these statistics alone to anything meaningful would seem very suspect.

(chart ref. Infographics)

Youth literacy

Thailand, 98%

Laos, 84%

Vietnam 97%

Burma 97%

Cambodia 87%

India 81%

http://www.uis.unesco.org/literacy/Pages/data-release-map-2013.aspx

That's about my experience. When I got here in the 1960's I met a few people who couldn't read or write now I'd say I know 1 out of 1,000 who can't read and write.

But literacy and literate are two different things.

Countries with the most college grads, Canada 48%, Japan and New Zealand 41%, Australia 33%, Ireland 32%, UK 31%.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/22/countries-with-the-most-c_n_655393.html

Some cities are more literate, Seattle having 57.7% college grads.

47wallst.com/special-report/2014/02/21/americas-most-and-least-literate-cities-2/3/

Everything is relative.

This must be a joke. I have introduced Thais to the book store (apparently, they don't frequent them) and offered to buy some/any books and the reaction was like I was going to pull their teeth. Lead a horse to the pond...but this headline is complete BS.

People in our village will never be caught reading. Talking/ napping in a hammock/eating/ playing cards/drinking YES, but reading???? lol lol ahhhhhhhhhhhhh good one.

People in our village will never be caught reading. Talking/ napping in a hammock/eating/ playing cards/drinking YES, but reading???? lol lol ahhhhhhhhhhhhh good one.

Probably the difference between rural uneducated people and urban educated people. I see people reading all the time and there are many bookstores that have Thai customers. For example Seattle has 57% of the population college grads and I would Imagine Danville Arkansas has about 10%.

Folks in my village are avid readers. However, I'm not sure of the content as my wife has hundreds of books and passes them throughout the community. A copy of "Gone With the Wind" can be read in two hours by a Thai with elementary education, sounds like it may have been reduced to "Dick meets Jane" to sell to the local readers.

You really don't see people reading books or newspapers on the train or in waiting rooms much, anywhere now, not only Thailand..

In Singapore on the subway, outside of peak-hour, virtually every person, young or old is on their smartphone or a few on a tablet. If they are reading then it is mostly Facebook or similar.

I spent a few hours last week in large hospital waiting rooms. There were newspapers and magazines available but no-one was reading them. People were on their phones, mostly playing games. I was reading my Kindle but I've been a keen reader all my life. People have so many choices now and games, videos and social media are what people prefer. When I do see a Thai reading a book it is almost always for study or a religious text. It is unusual to see someone reading a novel, at least in public.

Read it again,it means people are reading web pages on their phone, not reading books. I can't remember the last time I saw a Thai reading a novel. Even at school. A teacher once saw Germinal by Zola on my desk and asked to borrow it. I few days later he came back and asked me if I had something which was more 'fun'.

Did he ask that with a straight face?

I would think reading the Obits' could be more "fun" biggrin.png

How many public libraries are there?

I've never seen any.

I have visited two in Phuket. There are probably much more on this island. The same likely applies to country wide.