Cider from Singha

N47HAN

Well, it's mildly alcoholic, the pear version does taste of pears though I couldn't really taste much apple in the apple cider. Neither tasted anything like you'd expect from a cider or perry. The berry one I didn't try. I've never seen a pear in Thailand so I wonder what they use to flavour that particular one.

Disgustingly sweet, fizzy and fruity, it's made for those that drink Spy or similar concoctions, not the discerning, or even undiscerning, farang cider drinker.

• Like 1

Now I want to try a real cider. I've never tasted one before. What's the best available in Thailand at any price?

There will be disagreements on this but a number of bars sell Stowford Press on draught, which is not bad. There are a few cans and bottles from the UK but try Magners Irish Cider; this is the drink that started the cider surge in England.

Neither of these are as good as the real stuff available in the UK but are very drinkable.

Anyone tried the Normandy cider available in Wine Connection?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Now I want to try a real cider. I've never tasted one before. What's the best available in Thailand at any price?

There will be disagreements on this but a number of bars sell Stowford Press on draught, which is not bad. There are a few cans and bottles from the UK but try Magners Irish Cider; this is the drink that started the cider surge in England.

Neither of these are as good as the real stuff available in the UK but are very drinkable.

Anyone tried the Normandy cider available in Wine Connection?

Not yet but definitely will stop in and grab a bottle/can and give a go, love trying different ciders, thanks for the heads up.

<removed> and also get N47HAN's verdict on the new Singha Ciders my favourites at the moment are Kepplers,Savannah, & Stowfords Press Draught . Guinness & Savannah half half is a nice Pint poor mans black velvet although still over 200THB

Edited by LivinginKata
forum rule 8
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I just tried a Magners Irish Cider. Must be an acquired taste. Seemed a bit chemically to my uneducated palate. I preferred the Singha brand which tasted much more of Apple to me, albeit too sweet. Go figure.

Rick,

Magners (known as Bulmers in Ireland for some reason) is a very very basic mass produced cider. Historically in Ireland it actually had the reputation as a drink you bought to get drunk as quickly as possible, they used sell it in 2L plastic bottles known as "toolies" which was below even me as a child drinker (I liked vodka and Malibu, sometimes with a dash of creme de menthe). My mother saw cider as somehow uniquely dangerous, she thought it made you mad for some reason, but ultimately it was a class thing for her.

Since my childhood they have moved somewhat upmarket and apparently marketed the stuff to the rest of the world or the island adjacent anyway and in my adult years I drank plenty of it, and it really is fine. It should not taste chemical. It's a basic cider, the most popular in Ireland and the UK, and well made for what it is. It is perfectly refreshing in summer and I have honestly *never* got any sort of "chemical" taste off the stuff.

I have however got such a taste of other Irish drinks abroad, particularly Guinness. For some reason that can be particularly odd in this part of the world and I've had it from Hong Kong to China to Cambodia (very popular) to here and lots of other places. I know it is Foreign Export but I like the Belgian, Nigerian and Jamaican versions, there honestly is something about the Asian one. It can have a real chemical whiff.

As to cider, keep at it. My faves would by French and Spanish ciders, there is a real tradition in the north of Spain where there are ciderias where you are served by a waiter who pours the relatively flat drink into the glass over a distance of about 1m, causing a natural foaming. It's great.

There are also several French producers in who sell their stuff in 750ml champagne bottles who are great. You can get this all over Europe for not that much, I haven't looked here.

Cider is a great drink and this thing from Singha (I just tried it, it is terrible) is a real travesty, don't let it put you off.

Whatever is being sold in Phuket at the time and is available in Rawai.

Most of these ciders only last six months, or so, before becoming "unavailable".

I remember drinking Bulmers, Stowford Press and a couple of others I can't remember the name of.

I did try the TNC, but, frankly (sorry Nathan & Steve), I didn't like it.

Sir, pray that you will allow me to shake those remaining neurons around a wee bit, but does thee remember a wee brew that cost a few mickles more than a quart of Woodies called Gaymers Olde English? This was a decidedly better brew than the former and less sweet too. wink.png

Most of these ciders only last six months, or so, before becoming "unavailable".

I remember drinking Bulmers, Stowford Press and a couple of others I can't remember the name of.

Sir, pray that you will allow me to shake those remaining neurons around a wee bit, but does thee remember a wee brew that cost a few mickles more than a quart of Woodies called Gaymers Olde English? This was a decidedly better brew than the former and less sweet too. wink.png

Sorry, no, never tried it.

Sorry, no, never tried it.

Olde English was a cut above the Bulmers brands, Strongbow and Woodpecker. It was one of the more popular drinks that people took to parties when I was a teen. Much drier, also stronger and it was worth the extra few pence for a quart.

They still make it, though it might only be in cans, but Gaymers, Magners and Bulmers all have the same parent company now.

• 1 month later...

Trying to buy myself a few bottles of good cider as a treat.

Tried Villa, but, all they have are pear ciders and pear ciders flavoured with berries and stuff.

Can't believe they don't have common apple cider with no other pollutants.

Edited by KarenBravo

Trying to buy myself a few bottles of good cider as a treat.

Tried Villa, but, all they have are pear ciders and pear ciders flavoured with berries and stuff.

Can't believe they don't have common apple cider with no other pollutants.

Don't know what's up with Villa right now as I also tried the other day and they had almost nothing. Foreign beer stocks also seemed low. Hopefully just a blip in supplies or maybe their supplier arrived between 2 and 5 in the afternoon and the police wouldn't let them unload!

You can always drink Syder Bay! Maybe not!

Don't know what's up with Villa right now as I also tried the other day and they had almost nothing. Foreign beer stocks also seemed low. Hopefully just a blip in supplies or maybe their supplier arrived between 2 and 5 in the afternoon and the police wouldn't let them unload!

They did the annual stock take a few days ago and all their inventory has been low this past few weeks. An apology notice was posted up last week.

They did the annual stock take a few days ago and all their inventory has been low this past few weeks. An apology notice was posted up last week.

oh, that explains why i've been trying to find my sliced turkey for over a week now to no avail. hopefully they will get their shit together soon.

oh, that explains why i've been trying to find my sliced turkey for over a week now to no avail. hopefully they will get their shit together soon.

They have got their shit together.

With the sliced turkey and smoked chicken, timing is everything. Go too early and the meat dept. hasn't prepared it yet; too late and it's all sold. The turkey goes especially quickly.

I saw sliced turkey three days ago at about 11 am and there was only one left.

Edited by KarenBravo