Thais Warned To Avoid Or Cancelling Trip To France

george

Thais warned to avoid or cancelling trip to France

BANGKOK:-- Foreign Ministry has cautioned Thai citizens to consider postponing or cancelling travelling to France particularly this period because of the threat of crime.

The ministry issued the warning in a statement on Tuesday which said that several robberies or thefts had occurred involving cars belonging to the Thai Embassy in Paris.

"In the past month, at least four robberies occurred to embassy cars and we would like to warn Thais who plan to travel to France to increase their safety measures or consider postponing or canceling travel to France in the summer which would be crowded with tourists and possibly criminals," read the statement.

A thief broke the window of an embassy car in which the Thai commercial attache was traveling when it had stopped at the intersection of a busy road. The diplomat was slightly injured when he resisted the thief, who attempted to snatch his bag, it added. The thief is still at large.

Last month, a thief broke an embassy vehicle's window while it was stopping at a crowded road. A group of visiting high-ranking Thai officials were on the vehicle.

The statement warned Thais traveling to France to take special care of their property, including not putting valuables near car windows and not wearing jewelry.

The ministry has earlier suggested that Thais avoid traveling alone, stay clear of isolated places and pay particular attention to passing motorbikes - the vehicle of choice for French thieves.

-- The Nation 2006-07-26

No, wouldnt want to risk my favourite MBK Louis Vitton or Gucci stolen in Paris!

This advisory is the equivalent of EU governments warning their citizens not to travel to Thailand to avoid the threat of katoey pickpockets around Nana.

By the way, didn't a certain well placed khunying loose her handbag at the Emporium last year? Must have been those Cambodian thieves..not?

BANGKOK:-- Foreign Ministry has cautioned Thai citizens to consider postponing or cancelling travelling to France particularly this period because of the threat of crime.

The ministry issued the warning in a statement on Tuesday which said that several robberies or thefts had occurred involving cars belonging to the Thai Embassy in Paris.

Tut tut , Parking in the Pigalle. :o

.......The ministry has earlier suggested that Thais avoid traveling alone, stay clear of isolated places and pay particular attention to passing motorbikes - the vehicle of choice for French thieves.

Sounds to me like French thieves have been learning from Thai thieves.

All beautiful Thai girls who want to travel there, don't be scared, I can go with you!

;-)

It's a pity that Thai won't travel there anymore... but, 70 million tourist a year MINUS 5 Thai tourist who won't go, I think still 69,999,995 will go there!

;-)

My family and I will be there next week. Since we are coming from Bangkok, that pretty much takes care of the minus 5.

Hey, maybe it's time for someone to sell the Embassy, like they did in The Netherlands. They need to be quick before the price of property drops due to the "crime wave."

I've just received a telex from the the Ministry. For your own safety (both mental and physical), you're invited to read it :

"Kuhn PoochaiBaBa, the military attaché of the thai embassy in Paris (France, Europe, Earth), while walking in the area of Pigales, has slipped over a dog's shit, that was criminaly placed on the paveway by a criminal dog (the french police is still investigating).

He is suffering from a serious wound on his right hand (just a bruise, but a black one).

Therefore, and due to the utter seriousness of that matter, the Thai Government ask the thai people considering a trip to Paris (France, Europe, Earth, Universe, close to the "Sun", next door on the right) to postpone their trip. And to avoid at all cost dogs."

All beautiful Thai girls who want to travel there, don't be scared, I can go with you!

;-)

It's a pity that Thai won't travel there anymore... but, 70 million tourist a year MINUS 5 Thai tourist who won't go, I think still 69,999,995 will go there!

;-)

They'll likely lose more travelers due to their new tax on passengers flying out of France, up to 40 Euros a shot. It's supposedly to help developing nations, which isn't a bad thing, but why force travelers to pay it is beyond me. If I want to give to charity, I want to do it on my own free will and not be forced to do it by some assinine government that decides to force me to pay for their humanitarian efforts. I for one will be boycotting France for the forseeable future due to that tax.

They'll likely lose more travelers due to their new tax on passengers flying out of France, up to 40 Euros a shot. It's supposedly to help developing nations, which isn't a bad thing, but why force travelers to pay it is beyond me. If I want to give to charity, I want to do it on my own free will and not be forced to do it by some assinine government that decides to force me to pay for their humanitarian efforts. I for one will be boycotting France for the forseeable future due to that tax.

The tax is only 4 euros for Economic class for long distance travel (example: France -> Thailand), and only 1 euros for Intra-European flights.

The tax is of 40 euros for Business class on long distance travel (10 euros for Intra-European flights)...

Poor countries need more than punctual charity, they need long & large help. This tax should bring EUR 200 millions / year, and could raise if other rich countries join it.

The tax is only 4 euros for Economic class for long distance travel (example: France -> Thailand), and only 1 euros for Intra-European flights.

The tax is of 40 euros for Business class on long distance travel (10 euros for Intra-European flights)...

Poor countries need more than punctual charity, they need long & large help. This tax should bring EUR 200 millions / year, and could raise if other rich countries join it.

I don't care how small the tax might be, nor how needed the funds might be. It's the principle behind taxing a particular sector to pay for something totally unrelated that bothers me. Many times, I have no choice but to pay such a tax, but given a choice I will always opt for the other option to avoid paying such a tax because it's a matter of principle for me. If the people of France think that more money needs to be sent to poor countries, then let them create a tax on their citizens to pay for it, but not on just air travelers. I'd be willing to bet that the only reason they implemented that tax in that manner was due to political reasons. An across the board tax on French citizens would have been politically unpopular, but a tax on air travel, much of which is taxing foreigners, is not so politically unpopular. I despise politicians who play such games and show my disapproval by voting with my pocketbook.

I'm sure there's lots of these types of cases that I'm not even aware of and end up paying for without my knowledge. But whenever I become aware of such practices, I do my best to avoid paying them. Again, it has absolutely nothing to do with where the money is going or how badly it's needed. It has everything to do with the manner in which the tax is selectively administered to a select group of people.

Edited by Soju

French travel warning was "slip-up" : FM

BANGKOK: -- Foreign Ministry said a warning for Thai travellers to cancel or postpone their trips to France was a "technical slip-up."

The government only meant to urge travellers to exercise greater caution while travelling in France after its diplomats suffered a number of violent robberies around Paris, the foreign ministry said.

"The advice for Thai travellers 'against non-essential travel to France' was a technical slip-up," the foreign ministry said in a statement.

The French foreign ministry has assured Thailand that "the French authorities attach great importance to this matter and will take necessary measures to ensure the safety of Thai tourists in Paris," it said.

The ministry continues to urge Thais traveling in France to take greater precautions against crime by keeping their personal possessions with them at all times and avoiding traveling alone.

On Wednesday, Thai Foreign Ministry cautioned Thai citizens to consider postponing or cancelling travelling to France particularly this period because of the threat of crime.

"In the past month, at least four robberies occurred to embassy cars and we would like to warn Thais who plan to travel to France to increase their safety measures or consider postponing or canceling travel to France in the summer which would be crowded with tourists and possibly criminals," read the statement.

A thief broke the window of an embassy car in which the Thai commercial attache was traveling when it had stopped at the intersection of a busy road. The diplomat was slightly injured when he resisted the thief, who attempted to snatch his bag, it added. The thief is still at large.

-- The Nation/AP 2006-07-26

The Kunying whose purse was stolen last year at Emporium had it stolen by a Filipina--not a Cambodian! Lets try and trash the right nationalities here!

I'm sorry, because of the Khunying / Handbag association, I have confused this with the "begging" thread. :o

Someone got a good ass kicking. Thought it was amazing that a national travel warning could be issued because a few local staff were p****d off!

Amazing Thailand!

Yea, they were just spitting out their dummies (pacifiers for the Yanks).

But Hey ... I would just love to see a Thai tourist trying to get around in Paris. :o:D:D

Naka.

...and when the money arrives in those poor countries most of it will end up in the bank accounts of some corrupt politicians.

---------------

Maestro

...and when the money arrives in those poor countries most of it will end up in the bank accounts of some corrupt politicians.

---------------

Maestro

unfortunately how very true

and don't forget the arms that they will buy from the developed countries :o

French travel warning was "slip-up" : FM

BANGKOK: -- Foreign Ministry said a warning for Thai travellers to cancel or postpone their trips to France was a "technical slip-up."

The government only meant to urge travellers to exercise greater caution while travelling in France after its diplomats suffered a number of violent robberies around Paris, the foreign ministry said.

"The advice for Thai travellers 'against non-essential travel to France' was a technical slip-up," the foreign ministry said in a statement. We regret that our government is staffed by so many high ranking members of our society who never attained an adult level of social maturity nor adult control of their emotions, Although we in Thailand are use to the high ranking members of our society acting like chidren and demonstrating temper tantrums in public when they do not get their way, we hope the rest of the world will see this institutionalized immaturity as a mere technical glitch in Thai society.

The French foreign ministry, in a hope to save face for their Thai trading partners, has issued assurances, as a mother would comfort their young 3 year old child, that "the French authorities attach great importance to this matter and will take necessary measures to ensure the safety of Thai tourists in Paris," it said.

The ministry, once again urged Thais traveling in France to use some common sense against crime by keeping their personal possessions with them at all times and avoiding traveling alone reminding them that in most countries there is not as close a realtionship between the police and the criminal element as exists in Thailand.........

-- The Nation/AP 2006-07-26

---------------

Maestro

Guess you are right, but than let's consider how much these politicians had to pay to get the right job that enables them to collect and recoup.

Am I cynical?