Need Some Good Ideas On Western Snacks For Thai Consumption.

My wife and I run a small business supplying mostly coffee shops (Amazon in particular) with crème englaise choix eclairs.

Our eclairs have been getting rave reviews and a few managers have told us that they are their number one seller. The Thais make these, but they are made to a very cheap recipe, we only want perfection so we use much better quality ingredients. Some of our clients have customers who don't buy coffee, they just go there for the éclairs.

We are having a lot of requests from our clients for alternative products, but don't want Thai style, they want western falang style products. Based on Thais can produce fairly decent Thai snacks, but don't have a very good track record of replicating western standard stuff... Where obviously the farang excels.

So I am after some ideas.... I have trawled youtube and am pretty much spoiled for choice. I have a few ideas, but I am not sure what will go down the best.

I have looked at a very good quality rice pudding, or a crumble with custard. I need the ingredients to be readily available all year round and not expensive on the Kilo, because Amazon likes to make a decent mark up on profit without hitting the customer too hard in the pocket.

Apple crumble and custard would be a good option, I like it anyway and so does the wife. But apples here are crazy priced and leaves us not much room for profit. I did think about pineapple, banana and coconut crumble...

But anyway... What would you recommend from your home country?

Needs to be cheap, but quality ingredients (under 100 baht kilo)

Needs to be easy to make quickly in bulk. (I have lots of commercial kitchen equipment).

Rather it were sweet than savoury.

Must be shelf stable for 5 days.

Must be ready to eat.

Must be a non-Thai origin food.

I only know what I have learned in the the UK, there are many people on here from lots of places in the world who may have personal favourites that fall into the above criteria.

Thank you all in advance for any suggestions.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about looking in competitor stores like Starbucks, They sell Western food and they certainly know what sells well.

You could try a few ideas and get a few stores to test them. See how it goes and then decide.

• Like 1

Custard with sirup is allready sold in Yamazaki and Gateaux. I think the rice pudding pie is a better plan.

You can google for patisserie and see the images.

Show them what real bakery is, not that expensive crap they sell in S&P. Cream butter also tastes great but is to expensive i guess.

• Like 1

Spicy's ice creams, honestly, they put burning hot chillies everywhere, i haven't seen one yet, if you later become a millionaire please buy me a tiramisu', cheers.

Ohh, and i want the one with the Egg's Marsala inside, not just cheap coffee!

From England

My simple favourite would be iced fingers - a sort of half bread/half cake base topped with plain/vanilla icing

Used to eat these by the bagful in my younger days - sadly age-onset diabetes has curtailed this ( but maybe that's what you get for eating too many !)

Think would go down well with Thai's - incredibly sweet but quite light - you can sort of convince yourself they are not going to make you too fat.

Other idea's - individual custard tarts - like this but singles

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/recipes/great-british-bake-off-egg-custard-tart-recipe-9709183.html

Custard slices - UK's version of the Mille feuilles mentioned above but simpler and a bit heavier - sort of combination of my first two choices .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/custard_slice_58534

From France

pain aux raisins

800px-Pain_aux_raisins.jpg

http://paulhollywood.com/recipes/pain-aux-raisins/

Apricot Danish which I've always called œill, but I don't seem to be able to find them under that name.
And finally croissant almond which is as it name suggests a croissant covered in almonds - though these might be too expensive in Thai.
From USA
chocolate brownies - too many recipies
Coffee cake - not coffee flavoured cake, but cake meant to be eaten as an complement to coffee, often made with buttermilk

What ever product you choose to market, in order for it to be a good successes you will need the

good product, good image, loads on money for advertising, good distribution network and service,

You can literally and product and with the above all lined up correctly you will make money,

nowadays, people eat and want with their eyes and ears first, media exposer is everything....

Tiramisu and dulce de leche don't strike me as something that would be popular with Thais.

I don't know about Tiramisu not appealing to Thais, the icecream man tells the Tiramisu Cornetto is one of his best sellers.

I love Neenish Tarts and the sweet cream filling might appeal to Thais. Speaking of things Italian Cannoli might also appeal to the Thai palate.

Now you've started what will be an unfilled yearning for things missed from back home. Please send a rescue package of sweet delights to Chiang Mai.

• Like 2

We have been experimenting at home with some Dutch sweet snacks and both go very well with the Thais.

1. Zeeuwse Bolus, bread rolled in sugar and cinnamon before baking, sticky and sweet, easy to make. Traditionally they look like s..t but you can change the shape.

http://www.thedutchtable.com/2011/01/zeeuwse-bolus.html

2. Stroop waffle, or caramel waffle, a bit more work, but also very nice

http://www.thedutchtable.com/2010/08/stroopwafels-dutch-caramel-waffles.html

We make them mostly on request of my Thai wife ;-)

In Australia we used to love and still do a simple old FINGER BUN. One with a few raisins and not too bread tasting like Thais do. Nice icing on top and you can vary this with pink, choc, coffee flavours. they are cheap and I hope sell well for you