Multimeter

GaryB1263

I am looking for a decent meter. Does anyone know where is the best place to shop for one around Jomtien/Pattaya? I am looking for one around 3 or 4 thousand TBT. I know Fluke is nice but I won't need a meter that expensive.

I had a Beckman in the US and it was just fine. I think it cost 1800 TBT.

Thanks in Advance

You can find a multi-meter that has various ranges of ohms and DC/AC voltage at Tesco. Those are cheap but they work - at least for a while. If you need ammeter (like wrap-around), you need to find place that specialize in electronics. In Pathaya, I don't know but several in Bangkok. Unless you have some specific testing requirement, you don't need to spend the amount you talk about.

If you just need a multimeter for general around the house type work, tinkering with electronics, etc., you can get such multimeters with some pretty good accuracy for less than Bt500...heck, I would just buy one off Ebay...in fact I recently bought one off Ebay just a month ago for $11.75 with free shipping...rec'd it in about 3 weeks here in Bangkok customs/tax free. You have a better selection of multimeters on Ebay than you will find in Thai stores...but stores like Among Electronics usually in/around Lotus Tesco mall usually have a fair selection to choose from although they won't be a cheap as on Ebay.

I stand by Fluke, but they aren't cheap. I brought a Fluke 79 with me when I came over 16 years ago. The display died and I sent it to their authorized repair facility in Bangkok. They replied that they could not fix it since the part was no longer available. I complained to Fluke in the US and they sent me a brand new 79A for free and apologized that they could supply parts for the old one. I took the old one apart and "tinkered" around with it. Turned out to only be a broken solder joint. It's still working today! So much for their "authorized repair facility".

• Like 1

NPE (Natthapong) have a decent selection of budget multimeters from a few hundred Baht upwards http://www.mynpe.com/mynpe/home1.php?search=multimeter&Group=&Brand=&page=1&pagesize=3&lowerPrice=0&upperPrice=1000000 big branch in Zeer Rangsit but also do mail-order.

If you want Fluke or other better brands try Electronic Source http://www.es.co.th/vp.asp?keyword=&catc=030025#c1

I have a 500 Baht NPE cheapie for general use (and that people can borrow), my Fluke 73 only comes out on special occasions.

• Like 1