Best BKK Account for Farang - No ATM Fees - No Work Permit

So I'm on a mission to get a bank account to store THB in so I can just carry a Thai ATM card with me always instead of risking cash while I'm in country. I've heard good things about Bangkok Bank but I'm looking for better. I want no ATM fees anywhere in the country or at least within the same bank. I've heard that TMB offers this but what I can tell from their very poor english website is that there is only one account with no fees and it requires 20K baht at all times.

Other facts:

1. I'm early 30's clean cut. US Passport.

2. No work permit (don't work in Thailand, real employee of a US corporation)

3. On a 30 day extension (total 60 days) might have a Tourist Visa on next entry.

4. Currently studying Thai at a non ED school and won't get an ED visa even if I can get one. I'm in country 60-90 days at a time.

5. Staying near the Asoke area but it's basically a long stay hotel, no contracts, no paper work at all actually, seems to be some what of a lax family run operation. So I have no way to prove I live anywhere and like I said I'm only going to be stay 60-90 days at a time.

6. No Thai wife or girlfriend that I wish to have accompany me and be privy to all my details including full name haha.

Any advice guys on what bank, what account, and what to do about the above?

Thanks

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

some years ago there were many reports here in TV about that Kasikorn branch near Phrom Phong on Sukhumvit (Soi 31/33 or so?) which obviously opened accounts easily even for non-work-permit holders.

I know of a friend who went there too after reading this and they opened an account for him, even though he had no work-permit, but at least a non-immi-Visa (but he has since then left Thailand for good so I can not ask him).

not sure if the conditions are still the same, but just google for it, particularly as you stay not far away from this location.

We are with Bangkok Bank. No fees if you use their network. But! If you have one of their chipped cards, and they is no branch nearby, you are out of luck. We got stuck in a small town with very little cash due to this earlier in the year.

To use an ATM that is not BB, it's only 20B.

I had problems opening my account at a smaller branch, then went to the main branch and got things taken care of.

If you go to Bangkok Bank banks, talk with an Englsh speaker female manager, smile a lot, being friendly and funny, telling her that you just got here looking for job, but you do have 300,000 in cash and I do not want to keep it at your hotel safe too long, wanting an account that can get money wires from outside the country, have a good reputation, etc, etc, etc.....I beat that you will get an account.....You may be asked to bring itst references form to be signed by a Thai person that you may bring later...someday....after your account is open....

Actually there is no charge just for using other ATM's for any member of the Pool for first 4 transactions each month. If using chip card that option is not available currently but within the next year all banks should be converting to that system so then cards should again be usable in other banks ATM. At present you can have both types of card if you want that ability.

I wish I could understand the TMB fee structure but it's mostly in Thai. I really want a Thai card that has no fees nationwide which some have reported TMB does. I understand the first 4 local pool withdrawls are free that's plenty for me.

Well my other dream was to have BB Visa Rabbit card but I see that's EMV only so that is yet another limitation. Damn. I was hoping to just carry this one card only around for BTS and money and leave the good stuff at home.

How much of a limitation it is varies by usage - in a city and most larger towns finding a Bangkok Bank ATM to use it in is not a problem (although it might not have much cash as they are very popular). But as said you can hold both types of card and the normal mag strip card will not be a hazard if not used (they need to observe you entering PIN). But it would be an extra 100 baht per year or so expense (but by next year it should not be an issue).

I don't see most of the ATMs in this country changing by next year. There are way too many of them.

Also they wont have incentive to do so until the liability shift which is another 3 years away:

• Effective 1 October 2017 – Liability will shift in China , India, Japan, Thailand, and the U.S.

http://www.visa.com.au/aboutvisa/mediacenter/NR_Au_140213_emv_chip.html

Are you responsible for fraud on these ATM cards with BB? Will they return the money?

My biggest issue right now with BB is that I just hate the idea of paying 15-20 THB to get money in Pattaya or CM even if I use a BB ATM! It's the principle of the thing but I might have to live with it for the security being able to carry just a Thai ATM around and not risking my US lifelines even if it costs me more. But even then it still might be safer to use the US cards since at least I won't be liable for any money stolen, I'll just be waiting a 10 days while they send me a new card.

I guess I will try for BB and ask for two accounts and transfer as needed AND get both the B1est and regular card just in case.

Stole these tips from another post, looks good:

--Set their BKKB POS daily limit to zero, so the card/card number can't be used for swipe and sign purchases or online purchases.

--Set their BKKB ATM daily withdrawal limit to the lowest amount available, 50,000 baht, if I recall correctly.

--Keep the bulk of your funds in an account without an ATM card, and only keep a minimum amount in another account with the ATM card. Use online banking to transfer funds into the ATM card account as needed.

Also I see that I was wrong. It's only 10B to get money from another region using a BB ATM and the first one is free. I can live with that haha. (http://www.bangkokbank.com/BANGKOKBANK/WEBSERVICES/HELPCENTER/Pages/FeeTable.aspx).

Now I just need to find a lovely branch who allow me to have not one but two accounts without a work permit. I don't really want to put 300K in it right now I'm about to leave the country.

Edited by JThai

I guess I will try for BB and ask for two accounts and transfer as needed AND get both the B1est and regular card just in case.

Stole these tips from another post, looks good:

--Set their BKKB POS daily limit to zero, so the card/card number can't be used for swipe and sign purchases or online purchases.

--Set their BKKB ATM daily withdrawal limit to the lowest amount available, 50,000 baht, if I recall correctly.

--Keep the bulk of your funds in an account without an ATM card, and only keep a minimum amount in another account with the ATM card. Use online banking to transfer funds into the ATM card account as needed.

Also I see that I was wrong. It's only 10B to get money from another region using a BB ATM and the first one is free. I can live with that haha. (http://www.bangkokbank.com/BANGKOKBANK/WEBSERVICES/HELPCENTER/Pages/FeeTable.aspx).

Now I just need to find a lovely branch who allow me to have not one but two accounts without a work permit. I don't really want to put 300K in it right now I'm about to leave the country.

OK Just had one more idea. Two BB accounts:

1. Main account with all the money w/ EMV B1est Card (hopefully can disabled POS transactions, I don't need that).

2. Second accounts with regular debit card

Use #1 most of the time, if for some reason I cannot find a proper ATM, I transfer money on my phone to the second account and use the regular debit card.

The problem in this situation is that I'm assuming that the Chip card is totally secure which might not be the case...

Just thinking out loud here, what do you guys think ?

A couple of posts above may have given the impression that using an ATM which is part of the National ATM Pool (and most Thai banks do participate with the exception of some specialized banks) may not result in a fee for the first 4 uses per month. Even an ATM Pool withdrawal still possibly incurs a fees depending on whether it's an inter-province, inter-region, or intra-region withdrawal. A "region" is made up of X-amount of provinces. And using your Bangkok Bank debit card in a Bangkok Bank ATM in another province/region might result in a fee.

Take a close read of Bangkok Bank ATM fee structure (below) paying particular attention to where it may say inter-province, inter-region, or intra-region as that will have an impact on what fee is charged, whether it's a Bangkok Bank ATM or ATM Pool withdrawal.

Also below that is a cut and paste from a Bank of Thailand document talking regions and I'm going to assume this is "banking regions" versus just a generic use of regions. And I know at least Bangkok Bank treats the Bangkok Metro Area as a region for ATM fees based on the fee table below.

I sure know I have used my Bangkok Bank debit card in a Bangkok Bank ATM in another province/region and got hit with a Bt15/20 fee before. But I expect most people do the great, great majority of their withdrawals within their province or region (like me)...combine that with some free ATM Pool withdrawals depending on location, and person could end up thinking it's fee-free across the country but it's not. But when the dust settles the most you will be pay is Bt20 when you do happen to get hit with an ATM withdrawal fee regardless of which bank you have an account with....bank fees in Thailand between banks are very, very similar...only minor differences between banks...thanks to the Thai Bankers Associations and Bank of Thailand which seem to keep fee "competitiveness" confined to just being an unused word in the dictionary.

ATM Fee Structure

post-55970-0-07178200-1413702049_thumb.j

BOT Regions

post-55970-0-31746000-1413702065_thumb.j

A couple of posts above may have given the impression that using an ATM which is part of the National ATM Pool (and most Thai banks do participate with the exception of some specialized banks) may not result in a fee for the first 4 uses per month. Even an ATM Pool withdrawal still possibly incurs a fees depending on whether it's an inter-province, inter-region, or intra-region withdrawal. A "region" is made up of X-amount of provinces. And using your Bangkok Bank debit card in a Bangkok Bank ATM in another province/region might result in a fee.

Take a close read of Bangkok Bank ATM fee structure (below) paying particular attention to where it may say inter-province, inter-region, or intra-region as that will have an impact on what fee is charged, whether it's a Bangkok Bank ATM or ATM Pool withdrawal.

Also below that is a cut and paste from a Bank of Thailand document talking regions and I'm going to assume this is "banking regions" versus just a generic use of regions. And I know at least Bangkok Bank treats the Bangkok Metro Area as a region for ATM fees based on the fee table below.

I sure know I have used my Bangkok Bank debit card in a Bangkok Bank ATM in another province/region and got hit with a Bt15/20 fee before. But I expect most people do the great, great majority of their withdrawals within their province or region (like me)...combine that with some free ATM Pool withdrawals depending on location, and person could end up thinking it's fee-free across the country but it's not. But when the dust settles the most you will be pay is Bt20 when you do happen to get hit with an ATM withdrawal fee regardless of which bank you have an account with....bank fees in Thailand between banks are very, very similar...only minor differences between banks...thanks to the Thai Bankers Associations and Bank of Thailand which seem to keep fee "competitiveness" confined to just being an unused word in the dictionary.

ATM Fee Structure

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

BOT Regions

attachicon.gifCapture2.JPG

Ahh I was looking at "Funds Transfer" and thinking it was ATM now I see. Looks like it's 15B to use a BB ATM in Pattaya then.

While I was out today I did notice BB ATM's are in a lot of the areas I pass by two of them right at the Asok BTS and then also in the Exchange Tower.

Krung Sri offers a debit card which can be used at all ATMs, free of charge. There's a fee of 480 Baht for three years' service.

I prefer this to the Bangkok Bank Be1st card for the simple reason that that card started to delaminate and had repeatedly to be stuck back together which meant frequent problems paying at the supermarket. No such problems with the Krung Sri card.

http://www.krungsri.com/bank/PersonalBanking/DepositProducts/KrungsriDebitcard/KrungsriDebitAllATMs.html

We are with Bangkok Bank. No fees if you use their network. But! If you have one of their chipped cards, and they is no branch nearby, you are out of luck. We got stuck in a small town with very little cash due to this earlier in the year.

I had problems opening my account at a smaller branch, then went to the main branch and got things taken care of.

If you open a BB account in Bangkok, you can only use the debit card within the metropolitan area .. Using an ATM out of Bangkok incurs a 20B fine too.

However if you look on the Bangkok Bank website

http://www.bangkokbank.com/bangkokbank/personalbanking/specialservices/foreigncustomers/Pages/default.aspx

You will find they are open to foreign trade, with a letter from your home country's bank.

I wouldn't recommend them, you ( used to ) need a WP to get access to internet banking, but maybe worth a look. For what its worth I have a Kasikorn platinum card account and I think it's OK. Banks always seem to win here.

ETS: I read your comments, regarding 2 accounts and phone transfer. I have never felt so in control of my money than with Kasikorn. I get free SMS notifications of withdrawls and balances, the moment I'm at the ATM. I can access multiple accounts via one secure log-in with internet banking.

Theres also an iPhone / android app that you can use to move cash between banks / accounts.

Edited by recom273

Krung Sri offers a debit card which can be used at all ATMs, free of charge. There's a fee of 480 Baht for three years' service.

I prefer this to the Bangkok Bank Be1st card for the simple reason that that card started to delaminate and had repeatedly to be stuck back together which meant frequent problems paying at the supermarket. No such problems with the Krung Sri card.

http://www.krungsri.com/bank/PersonalBanking/DepositProducts/KrungsriDebitcard/KrungsriDebitAllATMs.html

This is more like what I was looking for but what does this mean:

Krungsri SMS Banking service must be applied and used throughout of cardholding. Nevertheless, the service fee is in accordance with the Bank’s notification.*

My wife is a banker in BKK. Rules have changed, especially if you are a citizen of the USA. Both the USA and UK are looking for money launderers and tax dodgers.

If you want to launder money check out the international banks found guilty. They all have branches here.

If you want to deposit $1 million US or more, a Thai bank will probably be accommodating.

If you are an ordinary bloke ... good luck.

If you open a BB account in Bangkok, you can only use the debit card within the metropolitan area .. Using an ATM out of Bangkok incurs a 20B fine too.

However if you look on the Bangkok Bank website

http://www.bangkokbank.com/bangkokbank/personalbanking/specialservices/foreigncustomers/Pages/default.aspx

You will find they are open to foreign trade, with a letter from your home country's bank.

I wouldn't recommend them, you ( used to ) need a WP to get access to internet banking, but maybe worth a look. For what its worth I have a Kasikorn platinum card account and I think it's OK. Banks always seem to win here.

ETS: I read your comments, regarding 2 accounts and phone transfer. I have never felt so in control of my money than with Kasikorn. I get free SMS notifications of withdrawls and balances, the moment I'm at the ATM. I can access multiple accounts via one secure log-in with internet banking.

Theres also an iPhone / android app that you can use to move cash between banks / accounts.

So you do have have two accounts one with an ATM and one with not? That's what's important to me.

Also , do you have a work permit?

My wife is a banker in BKK. Rules have changed, especially if you are a citizen of the USA. Both the USA and UK are looking for money launderers and tax dodgers.

If you want to launder money check out the international banks found guilty. They all have branches here.

If you want to deposit $1 million US or more, a Thai bank will probably be accommodating.

If you are an ordinary bloke ... good luck.

$1 million US lol. That would be stupid. The person depositing 1 million would be exactly the kind of person the USA is looking for in these new rules.

I'm pretty sure some branch some where will give me an account. Still plenty of reports of new accounts being opened.

Standard Chartered Bank's Just One Savings account includes decent monthly interest, a low minimum deposit requirement and free ATM withdrawals from any Thai bank ATM.

https://www.sc.com/th/en/save/savings-justone.html

But I'm not sure how their head Sathorn branch would be in opening that account for someone on a visa exempt entry or a tourist visa -- though generally, SC seems to be more farang friendly that TMB.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I opened account with kasikorn in bkk. But they still want work permit...I didn't have one..lucky I knew this rich guy who has a lot of money in their account, he referred me...I gave her the number asked her to talk to him...it was all sorted out in a few seconds over the phone.. I tried other places could not....only problem is there is a atm fee every time I take out money in chiang Mai.. but no fee when in bkk

Standard Chartered Bank's Just One Savings account includes decent monthly interest, a low minimum deposit requirement and free ATM withdrawals from any Thai bank ATM.

But I'm not sure how their head Sathorn branch would be in opening that account for someone on a visa exempt entry or a tourist visa.

Those international banks are usually the most strict, but worth a try I suppose.

But I'm not sure how their head Sathorn branch would be in opening that account for someone on a visa exempt entry or a tourist visa.

Those international banks are usually the most strict, but worth a try I suppose.

Standard Chartered's Sathorn HQ is very farang friendly, and are fine to open new accounts for those on longer-term retirement or marriage extensions/visas.

I just can't recall, yes or no, whether they're as accommodating for visa exempt or tourist visa holders.

Krungsri SMS Banking service must be applied and used throughout of cardholding. Nevertheless, the service fee is in accordance with the Bank’s notification.*

It means you pay might have to Bt19/month for the service...depends on the card. I also have a Krungsri debit card but it's the basic card with no annual fee, but it comes automatically with the SMS service which cost Bt19/month. So, effectively I'm paying Bt228/year indirectly for my debit card. But I'm OK with that because I like the SMSs notifying me of all my banking transactions.

So I just found this :

Bangkok Bank officially should allow you to open an account without a work permit. Stated right here:

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

Even if you are only visiting Thailand for a relatively short period of time, you can open a savings account and get a debit card to use for shopping and ATM withdrawals. All you will need to provide is your passport and one other official identification document – for example, your driver’s license or a reference letter from your embassy, your home bank or a person acceptable to the bank. (More details below)

You will also need to provide evidence of your address in Thailand as well as your regular address in your home country.

But what about these reports that you can't get access to online banking without a work permit?

So I just found this :

Bangkok Bank officially should allow you to open an account without a work permit. Stated right here:

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

Even if you are only visiting Thailand for a relatively short period of time, you can open a savings account and get a debit card to use for shopping and ATM withdrawals. All you will need to provide is your passport and one other official identification document – for example, your driver’s license or a reference letter from your embassy, your home bank or a person acceptable to the bank. (More details below)

You will also need to provide evidence of your address in Thailand as well as your regular address in your home country.

But what about these reports that you can't get access to online banking without a work permit?

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/FAQnew.aspx

If I am in Thailand as a tourist, can I use Bualuang iBanking?

If you hold a tourist visa you can also apply for Bualuang iBanking; please note that a local address that is not a hotel or PO Box number will be required*. Please visit any Bangkok Bank branch, bringing with you the passbooks of any accounts that you wish to register, together with these required documents.

Note: Application is subject to approval as determined by the bank.

Seems like I need a better address.

Also any one know if you can go paperless, I don't want to get statements that others might read.

It means you pay might have to Bt19/month for the service...depends on the card. I also have a Krungsri debit card but it's the basic card with no annual fee, but it comes automatically with the SMS service which cost Bt19/month. So, effectively I'm paying Bt228/year indirectly for my debit card. But I'm OK with that because I like the SMSs notifying me of all my banking transactions.

Good point. I hadn't noticed (until now) I was being charged 19 Baht/month for the SMS alerts.

To be honest, I hated the SMS alerts that came every time I paid by card. Fortunately I was able to find a way to make them silent, so rather less annoying.

They do seem to be a good security feature, though.