Night out on Walking Street

BigDamo

Guys there are numerous shows that touts always promote as you walk up and down Walking Street - Are they worth it? What scams are going on concerning them at the moment?

There will be 6 of us (mixture of men & woman) and we are looking to have a good night out and see whats going on.

I have heard about scams that involve being presented with ridiculous bills as one trys to leave etc - ay advice would be greatly appreciated.

The touts will take you to Rocket or Playgirls. Both bars are not scams as such, but they are over-priced and aimed at tour groups who want to see "tricks" involving cigarette smoking, live goldfish, balloon bursting and other anatomical acts. The performers tend to be rather big, powerful unattractive women and the whole show is completely untitillating.

You'd be better off taking them to a big gogo bar like Sensations or Living Dolls Showcase, or a proper showbar like Angelwitch.

I always take the new girls to Angelwitch nice shows.

• Like 2

The touts will take you to Rocket or Playgirls. Both bars are not scams as such, but they are over-priced and aimed at tour groups who want to see "tricks" involving cigarette smoking, live goldfish, balloon bursting and other anatomical acts. The performers tend to be rather big, powerful unattractive women and the whole show is completely untitillating.

You'd be better off taking them to a big gogo bar like Sensations or Living Dolls Showcase, or a proper showbar like Angelwitch.

Thanks - it maybe worth trying them out then as part of the night out!

Few beers and food at King Seafood then more beer and try Rocket or Playgirls..... As long as we are not going to get massively scammed then I am up for it!!

Thanks for your help

Few beers and food at King Seafood then more beer and try Rocket or Playgirls..... As long as we are not going to get massively scammed then I am up for it!!

Thanks for your help

There are a lot of good restaurants in Pattaya. Seafood buffet at the Hilton, Cherry's; International buffet two days a week, the Hopf brewhouse beach road great beer and food. HIlton and the Hopf are close to Walking street.

My opinion anything on Walking street is a rip off except for the Blues Factory.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

They are not really a big con, they take a kick back and the bar charges you more for the beer, like B200 or something, they make this clear to the punter first. Thing is you can walk into any of the places they take them to for free and normal beer prices.

The same old tired shows that have been around for years, they are for tourists that probably would never enter a gogo on there own.

They are nothing like the Patpong touts, where bills of thousands are produced, someone might prove me wrong (well this is TV), but I have never heard of anyone getting ripped like that on WS other than a slightly inflated beer price

• Like 2

Thanks for your help

There are a lot of good restaurants in Pattaya. Seafood buffet at the Hilton, Cherry's; International buffet two days a week, the Hopf brewhouse beach road great beer and food. HIlton and the Hopf are close to Walking street.

My opinion anything on Walking street is a rip off except for the Blues Factory.

Unfortunately the Blues Factory is history now

Seriously now though - If they are all massive cons then we will give them a wide birth but some folk say they can be quite fun.

We are not interested in prostitution just a group looking for a decent night out!

Not in Pattaya... Just stay off beach road after the witching hour...

If you want a tawdry couples night out, then hit a couple of the better show bars on Walking Street like Hollywood or Angelwitch, then go to a disco like Lucifer or Insomnia... Grab a bite afterward from a street vendor and head back to your hotel... You never know though, your other-half may find someone interesting to tag along sometime during the night...

Edited by Loptr

Thanks for your help

Unfortunately the Blues Factory is history now

Shows you how long it's been since I've been to Walking street. I usually stop at the Hopf. What happened to the Blues Factory? Bamboo club close to the entrance used to be fun for older couples dancing music is it still there?

Edited by thailiketoo

If you are talking about the "risque" shows, then they are not really con jobs but applying a cover charge (but without the forsight of letting you know). If you go in, tip the performers well, buy more than a single token drink each, buy the mamasans a drink, your bill will pretty much be as it should be. The people who get stung are those who go in, drink a drink each, watch the shows with no tipping and try to leave for only 200 baht bin. This is especially the case when you are with a farang lady /ladies who turn their nose up at the performers.

Look to spend 1000 baht a head and spend some time there being friendly and enthusiastic with tipping and you will be OK. Be cheap trying to use their bar to tick off the holiday "must do" list and you will pay the same amount anyway, but in a lot different circumstances.

Edited by boldface

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thanks for your help

BigDamo, I think you misunderstand Brewster's advice. He does not advise you to try Rocket or Playgirls. Angelwitch would definitely be my choice for a group like yours. Baccara can be eye-opening. Alcatraz is a sight to see. Living Dolls has some lovelies, and some shows. You could even risk a peek into BabyDolls, if everyone is tipsy enough by then.

But Rocket and Playgirls....? no, No, NO Never follow a tout standing in the middle of Walking Street, waving his menu of pussy shows at you. These guys want to rip you off, at least a little. And the women doing the shows in these upstairs "show" bars are fat and ugly.

But if your group wants to watch a fat girl drop ping pong balls into a glass without missing even one ball, while paying twice the price for your drinks, go ahead and follow a street tout up the stairs to have your evening possibly ruined. Getting massively scammed in places like these is only too possible.

• Like 2

Thanks for your help

So, since the Blues Factory is closed all of it is?

Avoid the touts with the laminated cards. They have been known to want money in their hand,and then take people to a closed venue and refuse refunds, also to insist on entry charge, for a place that would normally not charge one.

There is a lot more to Pattaya than the average Expat outside of the place realises. Top class restaurants, shows, street entertainers, attractions etc, but also with a seedier side. It is better priced than the Capital and easier to get around.

Walking St is a bit of a tourist trap, but is a sight to be seen!

Thanks for your help

So, since the Blues Factory is closed all of it is?

Avoid the touts with the laminated cards. They have been known to want money in their hand,and then take people to a closed venue and refuse refunds, also to insist on entry charge, for a place that would normally not charge one.

There is a lot more to Pattaya than the average Expat outside of the place realises. Top class restaurants, shows, street entertainers, attractions etc, but also with a seedier side. It is better priced than the Capital and easier to get around.

Walking St is a bit of a tourist trap, but is a sight to be seen!

I don't like tourists. So I go where I can drive in and park like the Hilton and Central mall or the Royal Garden is next door to Hopf and Cherry's is on 3rd road away from the tourist hot spots.

Hopf was mentioned. Great pizza, though hard to get in late on the weekends. If you are lucky, the manager will perform. He has an amazing voice. Worth checking out at least one time. I think he gets on stage later in the night. 10-11PM or so.

Walking street has become a tourist hot spot. Large groups of Asians, group leader out front with a flag held high. Lots of Eastern European ladies, with their man in tow. I've been to a few of the bars with live bands. The places were paced with couples. If you have any worries at all, stick with Angel Witch. Quite a few Western women are there at each show. And it's relatively tame.

call me weird but a game of table tennis is infinitely more enjoyable than watching a ping pong show etc etc, which i have never had any interest in seeing.

Female not weird, male weird. How many women do you find watching go go shows in Pattaya? 2 maybe three and 10,000 men.

Every bar give you chits in a cup that track your purchases. Keep track of them as they are presented, and pay it off when it reaches a certain amount, .. or pay as you go, nad there is no surprise at the end! People who get drunk are usually the ones that get scammed, because they have no idea what was spent. Sometimnes honest mistakes can be made too, .. likie the wrong chit being put in you cup, ...so always check for items received and amount charged!

To me, ... it is all over-priced and not worth my time, but if you want to say you've been there and done that, .. go for it! I take friends to Living Dolls a high intensity go-Go bar, Alcazar for a decent show, and then the Windmill to get down and dirty! Bamboo bar is ok for dancing and live music, and Insomnia is also interesting! Walk the entire street once and see what catches your eye, ...then go back and go in the places that caught your eye! Stay out of the European, (read Russian) bars!!

The OP needs to clarify if he is actually talking about ping pong shows or not. The original threads seems to be. As Thunderbirds20 states, gogo shows is printed receipt in a cup and very easy to count that yourself and check what goes in there with no problems.

• Like 1