Manchester City

mrbojangles

Question for you City fans,reading the doom and gloom on this page about going backwards...............this time next year with your new manager in place what will be acceptable progress?

Are you prepared to give him time to adjust to Premiership football or will you be expecting almost instant results?

What would constitute failure in your opinion(s) under Guardiola,s management?

You have appointed what many to believe is the best coach in the business so it will be interesting to read your replies.

Serious question thumbsup.gif

Serious answer. I would expect no less from Pep as has been expected from Pellegrini last and this season, which is, win the Premier, maybe a domestic cup and progression in the CL (I do not expect us to win it with our current squad).

Thats if your in it of course whistling.gif

1. Anyone know what channel will be showing the 6pm draw?

2. Good to see Nasri back in training after his horrific injury. For quite a while before he was injured he was coasting and hadn't been in form. One of the reasons I think we haven't been great this season is our change of style from a more patient 'playing triangles' to create a chance between Silva, Nasri, Yaya and others to a more direct 2 winger approach. Getting genuine ballplayers like Nasri and KdB back in ahead of speedy wingers Navas and Sterling would be a step forward.

I've said several times this season were going backwards and also that this current team doesn't compare with the 2012 team. Break it down in to compartments (forwards..midfield..defence) and see for yourself. Fullbacks are basically the same (Sagna for Richards) but are older and injured more. Kompany and Lescott were better than the current knackered Kompany and A.N.Other. Barry has never been replaced, Yaya has lost of his mojo, Silva seems permanently injured, DeJong better than Fernando. KdB IS an improvement on Johnson but Aguero, Bony and Nacho compared to Aguero, Tevez, Balotelli and Dzeko.

Decline can be seen. Scoring less. Conceding a bit more. Worse season in 5.

Mancini years

2011/12 P29 W22 D3 L4 F71 A21 GD50 PTS69

2012/13 P29 W17 D8 L4 F51 A26 GD25 PTS59

post-19652-0-55864500-1458307805_thumb.p

Hello ManC fans.

Just curious, what's the general feeling about facing PSG in the C1 semis ?

(French, as my avatar suggests, not a PSG fan by any means but well, for once we have a team doing well in the C1, so might as well get interested...)

^Definitely didn't want Barca, Bayern and Real.

Would have preferred not to have drawn Athletico or PSG.

Would have been happy to draw Wolfsburg or Benfica.

City, having had a poor season to date, I assume will be underdogs for the tie.

I was impressed by PSG at Chelsea and think as a footballing team they are slightly ahead of us right now. If our erratic team 'show up' for these games (looks like Premier has gone for us so they might be up for these games), I could see us doing it.

Currently heart says City win, head says PSG.

And you? What do you think?

I was impressed by PSG at Chelsea and think as a footballing team they are slightly ahead of us right now. If our erratic team 'show up' for these games (looks like Premier has gone for us so they might be up for these games), I could see us doing it.

I'm seeing a couple of crackers if Silva and Aguero...and your young midfielder who cost a fortune is fit??

Decent backbone that and can win you most games...you have a fair chance of making the semis.

• Like 1

it's a good tie that for city. team you can beat if you turn up. and you didn't get barca, madrid or bayern. count your blessings really.

Totally...the further you get before meeting those three the better.

In the semis and final anything can happen due to the pressure...best of luck gents!

Could have been a worse draw. Glad the first leg is away and hopefully KdB will be back

Just need to find my spot nice and early in Witherspoons for the derby tomorrow. Anyone in Patters at the moment?

Me-I,ll be in Katesiree 2 and I,ll accept a beer off you no problem clap2.gif

p.s. Witherspoons is a bit too down market for me whistling.gif

Edited by petermik

Could have been a worse draw. Glad the first leg is away and hopefully KdB will be back

Just need to find my spot nice and early in Witherspoons for the derby tomorrow. Anyone in Patters at the moment?

Blimey Peter. If your drinking in Katesiree I could buy you beers all night and still have change from 200 baht. But the cheapness isn't worth putting up with the miserable staff

City U18s 2v1 Arsenal U18s - FA Youth Cup semi-final 1st leg

City U18s will take a narrow advantage into the second leg of the FA Youth Cup semi-final after beating Arsenal 2-1 at the Academy Stadium on Friday evening. Lukas Nmecha and Isaac Buckley grabbed the goals to secure the victory under the watchful eyes of first team players Aleks Kolarov and Kelechi Iheanacho, as well as Thierry Henry.

Jason Wilcox made two changes from the side that beat Norwich in the quarter final with Charlie Oliver and Aaron Nemane coming in for Erik Sarmiento and Manu Garcia.

It was the away side who drew first blood at the CFA when Jeff Reine-Adelaide slotted through the legs of Daniel Grimshaw in the fourth minute.

The 18-year old then pulled off a magnificent save five minutes later when he somehow managed to palm Stephy Mivididi's close range effort onto the post before claiming the rebound.

The young Blues responded well to going behind and nearly added an equaliser in the 15th minute when Buckley was inches away from converting Nemane's cross before the 18-year old had a goal disallowed due to an offside in the build-up.

City continued to apply the pressure and grabbed a deserved equaliser midway through the first half. Rodney Kongolo played Nmecha in and the England youth international smashed the ball past Hugo Keto with a finish former Arsenal striker Henry would be proud of.

Wilcox's side then took the lead in the 39th minute when Nmecha turned provider for Buckley, who showed great pace to beat his marker and then deftly chip the ball over Keto to make it 2-1 to City.

The pressure continued in the second half and only a Chiori Johnson goal line clearance prevented City from further extending their lead in the 55th minute.

At the other end, Arsenal had a chance to level the score but Mavididi fired wide on the turn before the young Blues created a chance of their own.

Nemane sprinted past Krystian Bielik and forced Keto into a save before Nmecha saw his first time strike deflected narrowly past the outside of the post.

Wilcox made his first change with five minutes to play as Tom Dele-Bashiru came on to replace Brahim Diaz as City added another body in midfield to hold off the Gunners.

The 16-year old was involved in the action straight away when referee Andrew Madley turned down his penalty appeal and booked the youngster for simulation, much to the annoyance of the bumper crowd in attendance.

The full time whistle sounded shortly after the incident to ensure that City will take a slender lead into the second leg at the Emirates Stadium.

That clash will be played on Monday 4 April, 7.45pm kick off, and will be shown live on ITV4.

About the same about avoiding the big, big guys tongue.png

PSG has been playing very unequal in the last matches (I discount the meaningless 9-0 against poor Troyes). They've even been beaten for the very first time in Ligue 1. Aurier is dearly missed in the team IMO (not a hint that I think he should be forgiven for what he's done, can't wait to see what Blanc is going to do though). The outcome of their matches against Chelsea is somewhat flattering I'd say, having watched both matches. They did well, but not as much as the score says.

Anyway Ligue 1 is so weak that even a team which massively dominates here is not much more than a match for ManC where they currently sit in Premier League.

It's going to be a tough confrontation I think. I don't see a clear advantage for PSG.

I see ManC having a better team fighting spirit as well. PSG's team spirit is not that good. There has been a big clash between Zlatan and Van de Will recently, and the Aurier case does not bring a good spirit either.

• Like 1

About the same about avoiding the big, big guys tongue.png

PSG has been playing very unequal in the last matches (I discount the meaningless 9-0 against poor Troyes). They've even been beaten for the very first time in Ligue 1. Aurier is dearly missed in the team IMO (not a hint that I think he should be forgiven for what he's done, can't wait to see what Blanc is going to do though). The outcome of their matches against Chelsea is somewhat flattering I'd say, having watched both matches. They did well, but not as much as the score says.

Anyway Ligue 1 is so weak that even a team which massively dominates here is not much more than a match for ManC where they currently sit in Premier League.

It's going to be a tough confrontation I think. I don't see a clear advantage for PSG.

I see ManC having a better team fighting spirit as well. PSG's team spirit is not that good. There has been a big clash between Zlatan and Van de Will recently, and the Aurier case does not bring a good spirit either.

Interesting comments, thanks for contributing. ..cheered me up a little. Seems we're wary of each other's team. Looking forward to it.

Here is my 10 pence worth. Hindsight is 2020 vision, as the saying goes, but I believe serious mistakes and errors of judgement have been made, over the past year or so.

1) Letting Jason Denayer go out on loan.Here is a kid with great potential, had had a brilliant season for Celtic. We end up keeping Demichelis and spending 75 mill on 2 defenders. Crazy!!

2) Buying Mangala for 40 mill.

nothing more needs to be said.

3) Wilfried Bony.

I didnt have a problem when we bought him. Premier League top scorer, 25 mill. Not too bad. But its what he has become and allowed to become.

Bulked up to ridiculous proportions, makes Yaya look like Speedy Gonzales. If you ever want to see a player going through the motions and taking home 100k+ per week, Bony is your man. Lazy, useless. How has been allwed to deteriorate to this level. More importantly why does he keep getting played?

4) Youth.

Pellegrini has been bad news for our youngsters. He simply does not give them a chance. In the case of Iheanacho, its almost criminal what is happening to him. But at least he has had some play time, which is more than can be said for some of the others. There have been plenty of oportunities this season, with our injury list, where youngsters could have been blooded and integrated into the first team. Pellegrini point blank refuses to do it.

5) Tactics.

I havent seen signs of "The Engineer" and the thinking mans manager. I just see stubborness with an inability to bend.

Persevering with the likes of Navas and Bony. Its just frustrating.

6) Aguero

Too reliant on him. He has become injury prone, so to go into the season having got rid of 3 top strikers was a gamble which has backfired in a big way.

Having made the mistake, Pellegrini multiplies the problem by not giving Iheanacho sufficient playing time.

These are just off the top of my head. An underwhelming season, but Pellegrini will argue that he has achieved the target of winning a cup and progressing further in the CL than we have before.

That I am afraid just papers over the cracks.

I cant wait for Pep to come. Lay into these lazy primadonnas. Get rid of those who wont give 100%, bring in a couple of new players and bring a bit of what we saw in 2012, back.

I like to see my teams manager get up off his derriere and show a bit of emotion.

Its all too bland at the moment.

• Like 1

^Fully in agreement with all points.

With regards TACTICS, I fully believe for most games its go out there boys and outscore them (a few times away in europe it's differed), doable with the Tevez, Dzeko, Aguero, Silva, Nasri and Yaya in your team but not with the current resources.

Think we all knew starting the season with 2 forwards and debutant Nacho wasn't going to leave us light.

I also don't think we have enough gritty leaders on the pitch these days, only Zaba and Kompany are natural leaders and they've been out for the most part.

If you go back a few games when we were in contention for the Premier I think all City fans knew we weren't right and kept saying so, and when it really mattered the team just couldn't handle the run of games. I don't think we're far off being the top team we've been for the past 5 years, a couple of players to perk up the forward options and Pep WILL make us competitive...Mancini's team if they didn't win were tight and competitive but Pellegrini's team is way too open and soft to pressing teams...we will become a pressing team just as Barca and Bayern do when we lose the ball.

Looking forward to the end of this season and next season starting.

Blimey Peter. If your drinking in Katesiree I could buy you beers all night and still have change from 200 baht. But the cheapness isn't worth putting up with the miserable staff

Katesiree 2 BJ the one opposite the City Hospital,big screen plus 7 others smaller TV,s......... not the old Katesiree although I do patron here frequently and the "miserable staff" are quite friendly towards my good self,being a handsum and polite chap helps of course cheesy.gif

Edited by petermik

Question for you City fans,reading the doom and gloom on this page about going backwards...............this time next year with your new manager in place what will be acceptable progress?

Are you prepared to give him time to adjust to Premiership football or will you be expecting almost instant results?

You have appointed what many to believe is the best coach in the business so it will be interesting to read your replies.

BJ and J&D no reply as yet,curious to know.

Breadbury Blue says Premier League title and one domestic cup is a minimum he expects gigglem.gif

^Petermik I didn't state Premier League title AND one domestic cup is a minimum I expect, I stated:

"I would expect no less from Pep as has been expected from Pellegrini last and this season, which is, win the Premier, MAYBE a domestic cup and progression in the CL (I do not expect us to win it with our current squad)."

There's a significant difference.

Katesiree 2 BJ the one opposite the City Hospital,big screen plus 7 others smaller TV,s......... not the old Katesiree although I do patron here frequently and the "miserable staff" are quite friendly towards my good self,being a handsum and polite chap helps of course cheesy.gif

Ahh right. I haven't been to the one opposite the City Hospital. Bet it's still a cheap Charlie bar though laugh.png

BJ and J&D no reply as yet,curious to know.

Breadbury Blue says Premier League title and one domestic cup is a minimum he expects gigglem.gif

I must have missed the post.

I'll be happy to see us playing good football, high tempo and also giving the kids a run out. No problem in giving Pep a year to build, as long as it is going in the right direction, unlike LvG

But it would be nice to get European domination tongue.png

So with these financial fair play rules how much do you have to spend in the summer?

To the nearest £10m would be acceptable.

I think we have just got a new advertising sponsorship deal worth 2 billion with an Arabian flip flop manufacturer, plus the Chinese chop stick deal makes it sky's the limit tongue.png

• Like 2