Manchester City

mrbojangles

The GOOD news:

KdB resumed training today.

Aguero trained and will travel to Germany.

The BAD news:

LB Mendy still out.

Stand-in LB Delph out for Hoffenheim and mickey mousers.

For Liverpool then it looks like stand-in stand-in LB Zinchenko (shudder at Mo getting at him) or Laporte out of position or even worse Danilo at LB...hmm! Knowing Pep he'll play Walker or Fernandinho there (joking)

I was thinking back to my school days in a Stockport suburb. Everybody was either City or United in my year - and it was a big school - but we had one Scandinavian lad who supported leeds and one cockney lad (jesus he stood out with his strange accent to our northern ears but was a cracking lad) who supported WHU (part of the reason i like WHU). 

How about you? Where were your school years and what was the breakdown of support?

2 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I was thinking back to my school days in a Stockport suburb. Everybody was either City or United in my year - and it was a big school - but we had one Scandinavian lad who supported leeds and one cockney lad (jesus he stood out with his strange accent to our northern ears but was a cracking lad) who supported WHU (part of the reason i like WHU). 

How about you? Where were your school years and what was the breakdown of support?

Im Essex born and bred, 20 mins  to the East end of London so i would say around 50% West Ham , 30% other London clubs and the orher 20% Man U or Liverpool 

19 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Im Essex born and bred, 20 mins  to the East end of London so i would say around 50% West Ham , 30% other London clubs and the orher 20% Man U or Liverpool 

How many birds you had with fake norks then? 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I am from central brum so there was a lot of villa scum about and a few blue noses but there was a ginger lad that supported Everton and his name was Greg. I got a fair bit of stick for being an LFC fan but I was the best footballer by a mile in my area so it was not too bad. I then turned 11 and went to a school which made me look bang average on the pitch so I turned my attention to analysis and became a an expert on the game and women, all before I turned 16. Thanks Beth 

I await MrB's report.

I see that LaPorte was at left back and reportedly at fault for that first goal. I wish Pep would ditch the idea of LaPorte as a left back. He's been very good in the middle but he always scares me at left back. I don't think he's up to it, particularly with either Danilo or Zinchenko available.

10 minutes ago, jellydog said:

I await MrB's report.

I see that LaPorte was at left back and reportedly at fault for that first goal. I wish Pep would ditch the idea of LaPorte as a left back. He's been very good in the middle but he always scares me at left back. I don't think he's up to it, particularly with either Danilo or Zinchenko available.

Totally agree with you about LaPorte at LB; I'm also still not convinced with him at CB, excellent with the ball but not convincing defending (he and Stones need to get on Kompany's diet and weight-lifting programme to build them up - too often bullied). Biggest decision for Pep at Anfield is who will play leftback.

Come on MrBJ...

8 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Plenty squeaky bum time there mrboj but I was impressed with your endless movement and pressing.....very toufh to beat this season I think.

Never a penalty lol

Without doubt we needed the 3 points, so it was nervy towards the end. Especially as a nailed on penalty was not given.....again!! We want VAR, we want VAR, we want VAR ????

Totally agree with Jelly and BB, LaPorte is in no way shape or form a left back.

Overall, we played ok, their goalie made some good saves (apart from bringing down Sane) but we made far too many passing errors. Fortunately, Hoff made plenty of errors as well. If we play like that on Sunday we'll get battered.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Bredbury Blue said:

"City have now overtaken United as the biggest club in the city"; Dickov should know better than that - bigger, no; more successful in recent seaons, yes.

These footballers do make themselves look a bit daft. Shearers recent "aguero the best foreign player ever in Prem" another inaccurate statement but dick or little dick as he may be known in Malaga has a point.

United don't appear attractive anymore for players. Given the choice I'd suspect city would be first even with less pay on offer.

City have done utd simple as that. Better team better structure and better entertainment but perhaps United still has a better youth set up.

26 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

These footballers do make themselves look a bit daft. Shearers recent "aguero the best foreign player ever in Prem" another inaccurate statement but dick or little dick as he may be known in Malaga has a point.

United don't appear attractive anymore for players. Given the choice I'd suspect city would be first even with less pay on offer.

City have done utd simple as that. Better team better structure and better entertainment but perhaps United still has a better youth set up.

Allow me to be pedantic. There is no official top 10 of the best foreign players ever nor is there a way of gauging or judging who is the best foreign player ever, it is purely a personal opinion, and Shearer's personal opinion is Aguero is the best foreign player ever. His opinion could be shaded by Aguero playing in the same position and also Aguero having one of the best if not the best goals per game ratio. 

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

"City have now overtaken United as the biggest club in the city"; Dickov should know better than that - bigger, no; more successful in recent seaons, yes.

United still get 50% more attendance to watch them play the shitest football ever against 14th placed Spanish side that have won one league match from 7 and play even more boring football. 

So yeah defo still a bigger club.

Just now, BangrakBob said:

United still get 50% more attendance to watch them play the shitest football ever against 14th placed Spanish side that have won one league match from 7 and play even more boring football. 

Tis true all that but are we seeing the tide turn? United always sell out Cup games as it gives the "tourist" fans an opportunity to watch them when season ticket holders don't want to go. However, there were still tickets left for last nights game

4 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Tis true all that but are we seeing the tide turn? United always sell out Cup games as it gives the "tourist" fans an opportunity to watch them when season ticket holders don't want to go. However, there were still tickets left for last nights game

I think the club is in turmoil, said it earlier in the season and those reds kept saying it's a blip.

I don't think they know who they are anymore and the longer this goes on the more champ followers will keep falling away. Probably accounts for a massive amount of their fan base, based on success that's understandable.

Personally, I think City still have a way to go in my mind and that will come with a European identity pedigree, but compared to United they are going in opposite directions.

I was actually happy you came back and won last night, at first I wasn't but then my level head told me City of the Champions League is not a good thing for us. ????

32 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Actually if we judge the better youth set up as progress in the youth cup in recent seasons, facilities (presumably you've seen our academy pitches, free schooling at St Bedes, etc.) and where ex-ManU players put their kids then it's City who have the better youth set up.

Actually if we judge the better youth set up as progress in the youth cup in recent seasons, facilities (presumably you've seen our academy pitches, free schooling at St Bedes, etc.) and where ex-ManU players put their kids then it's City who have the better youth set up.

Based on the only thing you can really measure it by. Breaking in and becoming a first teamer. You can have all the structures and set ups you like but getting them to be first team status is the goal and compared to United you do not have that and as a youngster or a parent of a youngster that's going to play a part I think. 

31 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

Bigger than Liverpool as well eh Bob?

1 minute ago, Rc2702 said:

Based on the only thing you can really measure it by. Breaking in and becoming a first teamer. You can have all the structures and set ups you like but getting them to be first team status is the goal and compared to United you do not have that and as a youngster or a parent of a youngster that's going to play a part I think. 

If I had a choice I'd send my kid to City above any club, they have the best facilities, scientists, coaches available to mankind. Your kid would have a better chance of actually succeeding at all never mind with City. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Bigger than Liverpool as well eh Bob?

You've misinterpreted how this fans numbers at matches thing works before. You can only fit so many fans in to a specific stadium. Ours is capacity for every match. 

8 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Yes ManU have an amazing record of having a youth player in the team/squad of every game since the 50s or something which is very impressive and i doubt think ANY club can compete with that. But as stated, in the most recent seasons (say most recent 5 years) City are now leading the way - why do you think ex-ManU players are sending their kids to City.

23 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

You've misinterpreted how this fans numbers at matches thing works before. You can only fit so many fans in to a specific stadium. Ours is capacity for every match. 

I was talking about fans at matches as you well know. I was questioning whether you think liverpool or ManU are the 'biggest' club? I think we both know what i mean by 'biggest' club. ManU are the 'biggest' club in England. Do you agree?

2 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I was talking about fans at matches as you well know. I was questioning whether you think liverpool or ManU are the 'biggest' club? I think we both know what i mean by 'biggest' club. ManU are the 'biggest' club in England. Do you agree?

Do you mean how many fans at matches? as in actual numbers or vs percentage of seats sold?

Sounds like you are talking about gate reciepts. 

Yes ManU have an amazing record of having a youth player in the team/squad of every game since the 50s or something which is very impressive and i doubt think ANY club can compete with that. But as stated, in the most recent seasons (say most recent 5 years) City are now leading the way - why do you think ex-ManU players are sending their kids to City.

So you say but you provide no proof of it so it is just what you say and nothing else. United players sending their kids there is not proof either. 

18 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

So you say but you provide no proof of it so it is just what you say and nothing else. United players sending their kids there is not proof either. 

Why would Phil Neville, Robin Van P, Andy Cole and Darren Fletcher to name a few send their kids to City's academy if it wasn't better?

Just now, mrbojangles said:

Why would Phil Neville, Robin Van P, Andy Cole and Darren Fletcher to name a few send their kids to City's academy if it wasn't better?

BJ that is not the point. I'm saying the mark of real success in youth development is first teamer.  It's like training apprentices who do 1 after a short spell.