Manchester City

mrbojangles

I concur with almost of your post jack. I do think Zabaleta and Kompany are better than Onouha though......at the moment. Onouha will be a fantastic player in the not too distant future.

SWP, I'm not sure. I like the lad but he's turning into one trick donkey. Letting Weiss go is a huge mistake though.

As you say, I too am excited and can't wait for the season to begin.

I think we are both sat on the fence as to the prowess of Mancini as a manager/coach.

However it is well known that neither Ireland or Bellamy want to leave.

Yet on the 25 man Europa roster, Mancini has included Vierra??, Santa Cruz???, and Robhinho???????? No room for Ireland or Bellamy!!

Robhinho has made it plain that he does not want to play for City, so I believe it is a huge mistake for Mancini to make.

I dont know MR BJ, maybe its just in my blood being a City fan.... but I am getting an uncomfortable feeling in my stomach.

Not an easy start to the season either, with Spurs and Liverpool 2 teams who historically we have not done well against.

Not being negative, but I do believe we will get beat on Saturday. I just hope that doesnt lead to mass panic!!

I concur with almost of your post jack. I do think Zabaleta and Kompany are better than Onouha though......at the moment. Onouha will be a fantastic player in the not too distant future.

SWP, I'm not sure. I like the lad but he's turning into one trick donkey. Letting Weiss go is a huge mistake though.

As you say, I too am excited and can't wait for the season to begin.

I think we are both sat on the fence as to the prowess of Mancini as a manager/coach.

However it is well known that neither Ireland or Bellamy want to leave.

Yet on the 25 man Europa roster, Mancini has included Vierra??, Santa Cruz???, and Robhinho???????? No room for Ireland or Bellamy!!

Robhinho has made it plain that he does not want to play for City, so I believe it is a huge mistake for Mancini to make.

I dont know MR BJ, maybe its just in my blood being a City fan.... but I am getting an uncomfortable feeling in my stomach.

Not an easy start to the season either, with Spurs and Liverpool 2 teams who historically we have not done well against.

Not being negative, but I do believe we will get beat on Saturday. I just hope that doesnt lead to mass panic!!

Yeah, I know what you mean jack. A very big portion of our team haven't time to gel yet, so it may take a little time and I don't think we'll beat spurs either. Hopefully, the lads are too good to panic about it so early on.

As for the Europa squad. All I can say is baffled. It can only mean that Ireland is off to Villa? He has also left out David Silva but he can come in at the knockout stages.

Yeah, I know what you mean jack. A very big portion of our team haven't time to gel yet, so it may take a little time and I don't think we'll beat spurs either. Hopefully, the lads are too good to panic about it so early on.

As for the Europa squad. All I can say is baffled. It can only mean that Ireland is off to Villa? He has also left out David Silva but he can come in at the knockout stages.

We're not falling for this psychobabble ....and please stop posting on this thread.....every time you do I wonder how many more players have arrived at Eastlands....:ermm::D

We're not falling for this psychobabble ....and please stop posting on this thread.....every time you do I wonder how many more players have arrived at Eastlands....:ermm::D

:D

Believe me smokie. It ain't no psychobabble. Me and jack have been city fans for a long time and know better than to get over excited, as we always get let down. :D

Believe me smokie. It ain't no psychobabble. Me and jack have been city fans for a long time and know better than to get over excited, as we always get let down. :D

...and you think we don't.....:lol:

...and you think we don't.....:lol:

:lol:

Yeah your right, our misery club isn't an exclusive one :D

Caciedo looks like he's coming to our place although i'm not sure if on loan or permanent ( who knows what to believe these days with everyone & every Newspaper reporting different terms etc )..

He's alright isn't he, he'll be ok for us i reckon don't you ??

MANCHESTER CITY NEWS

City to sign Balotelli and Milner

By Soccernet staff

August 13, 2010

Comment

Email

Print

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini expects to sign Inter Milan striker Mario Balotelli "today or tomorrow" and admitted the deal was "close" to completion on Friday.

GettyImages

Mario Balotelli has travelled to Manchester for a medical

• Play Premier League fantasy

• Forum: Balotelli to City

• Hughes wants Bellamy

Balotelli has been on City's radar all summer and flew into Manchester to undergo a medical on Friday, a day after it looked as though the deal may have stalled.

But after talks between the two clubs on Thursday, the negotiations progressed and the Italian striker now looks set to move to the Premier League in a deal Gazzetta dello Sport reports is worth €28 million.

"We are close with Balotelli," Mancini told a press conference on Friday morning. "Hopefully today or tomorrow. Mario is on his way here today."

Balotelli's Inter team-mate Marco Materazzi admits it is not good news for the team's chances this season. "I am happy for Mario, but we will be weakened by his departure," he told Gazzetta.

Mancini also said James Milner was close to signing from Aston Villa, although they are still sorting out the details of the deal. "We need another two or three days for this situation," he said. "We need everyone to be happy."

It is reported that the Milner deal is being held up because Stephen Ireland - who is due to be part of a part-exchange deal - is demanding a £2 million pay-off.

Asked whether that was the case, Mancini replied: "I don't know about that. Everything must be in a good way for everybody."

Mancini was non-committal about Robinho's chances of remaining at Eastlands, but there is no place in his plans for Craig Bellamy, who is attracting interest from Fulham, Tottenham, Sunderland and Celtic. "I have to choose 25," Mancini said. "The rest must find another team. Craig is out of the list."

Mancini also rejected suggestions City are set to buy Benfica defender David Luiz and Barcelona striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic, with Balotelli and Milner set to represent the final deals of the summer. "After these two players - finished," Mancini said.

Caciedo looks like he's coming to our place although i'm not sure if on loan or permanent ( who knows what to believe these days with everyone & every Newspaper reporting different terms etc )..

I think with regular playing time, he will be ok. He is only a young kid, and Eriksson paid a few million for him!!

I just dont think he is a natural goalscorer, but he is a big lad!! Holds it up well. I hope he does ok for you

I think with regular playing time, he will be ok. He is only a young kid, and Eriksson paid a few million for him!!

I just dont think he is a natural goalscorer, but he is a big lad!! Holds it up well. I hope he does ok for you

Jack, is he quick ??

I was under the impression that he was double quick but a Pal of mine says otherwise & that he's a Carthorse but im sure i had him in my head as being very rapid ??

Jack, is he quick ??

I was under the impression that he was double quick but a Pal of mine says otherwise & that he's a Carthorse but im sure i had him in my head as being very rapid ??

He's quick...ish Singhy but definately not rapid. But he's bl00dy strong. Not many will bully him off the ball.

Jack, is he quick ??

Definitely not double quick from what I saw of him, but when you see the size of him he is quick for his size.

^I do agree that city need to gel quickly,and harden up for the winter slog as per usual.........the thing is though they wont will they...Kamagra is the best chance of gelling and hardening up those soft foriegner mercenaries :whistling:

Like you say though a good away point at another potentially massive club! :rolleyes:

^I do agree that city need to gel quickly,and harden up for the winter slog as per usual.........the thing is though they wont will they...Kamagra is the best chance of gelling and hardening up those soft foriegner mercenaries :whistling:

Like you say though a good away point at another potentially massive club! :rolleyes:

lucky ;)

Personally I don't think we needed Milner and it's a shame to see Ireland go but now we have him I hope the lad does well for us.

From skysports:-

City seal Milner swoop

Ireland heads to Villa as Mancini gets his man

England midfielder James Milner has completed his move to Manchester City with Stephen Ireland heading in the opposite direction to Aston Villa.

Milner has finally sealed his protracted switch to Eastlands, with the transfer saga having occupied the back pages for much of the summer.

The former Leeds and Newcastle man has signed a five-year deal with the big-spending Blues as part of a deal reported to be worth £24million.

Villa have been rewarded handsomely for parting company with the highly-rated young international, receiving £16million and the services of Ireland, who is valued at £8million.

The 24-year-old Milner is expected to make his debut in Monday's home Premier League clash with Liverpool, live on Sky Sports HD1 and 1, as he is not able to feature in the Europa League date with Timisoara on Thursday.

Roberto Mancini was delighted to finally land his man and believes the versatile midfielder, who can operate on either flank or in a more central role, will be an excellent addition to his star-studded squad.

The Italian told the club's official website: "I am very happy to have James with us, everybody knows we have admired him for some time.

"He is an excellent midfielder, who can play in a number of positions. This is important for the team, and I am looking forward to seeing him play for us. We have a very strong squad, and this signing is a very important one for us.

"James is already a very good player, who has proved he can play at the very top level. But he is also young and a good character, I think he can also improve and be a great player for Manchester City for a long time."

Mancini was also quick to pay tribute to the departing Ireland, who was named the club's Player of the Year in 2008/09 but has now been deemed surplus to requirements.

He added: "I hope things go well for Stevie at Villa. He is also a very good player, and he has played a big part in City's history.

"I think he will enjoy the change of being at another club, and I hope he does well for Aston Villa."

Villa caretaker manager Kevin MacDonald has welcomed the new addition to his squad, with Ireland having signed a four-year contract in the Midlands.

"This is a great signing for the football club," he told the club's official website.

"Stephen is an outstanding young talent who will complement the talented players we already have here and we're looking forward very much to working with him."

Good bit of business for Villa. Ireland's a handy player to have around.

Milner runs hot and cold too much for my liking, and may find himself surplus to requirements before he even gets through the door.

Still, guess the agents are making a tidy sum and that's the main thing - wouldn't want them going hungry now would we?

From skysports:-

Tevez sets goals target

Argentine wants successful season at Eastlands

Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez is hoping to break the 30-goal mark for his side this season.

City kick-off their European campaign on Thursday when they take on Timisoara in their Europa League play-off first leg in Romania.

Tevez produced some scintillating performances last term following his move from rivals Manchester United and bagged 29 goals in all competitions.

This year the Argentina international wants to go one better and improve on his tally at Eastlands.

He said: "As a striker every year you set targets. I hope I can score more goals this season."

The 26-year-old had a disappointing summer as Argentina were knocked out in the quarter-finals of the World Cup in South Africa, resulting in the departure of coach Diego Maradona.

Tevez has previously admitted that he was struggling for motivation following the exit, but now he is looking forward to the new campaign, starting with City's Europa League opener.

"I am very happy," he added. "I have to say thank you to the manager (Roberto Mancini) and the players.

"All games and all competitions are very important to me. I hope to win a trophy for City."

Tevez will have to fight for his place up front for the Blues now that fiery Italian striker Mario Balotelli has moved to the club, but he is pleased at the arrival of the former Inter Milan man.

He remarked: "Mario is an excellent player. I know about him from his time at Inter Milan, where he played well."

Meanwhile, City boss Mancini is looking forward to his team's clash in Romania on Thursday.

"The Europa League is very important for me, the players and the supporters," he said.

"We play all games to win no matter the competition. But this match will be tough as it is our first game and we are away from home."

From sky sports:-

Timisoara 0 - 1 Mancity

Mancini lauds Balotelli bow

City boss expects new signing to improve

..Roberto Mancini hailed a 'great debut' for Mario Balotelli after the striker came off the bench to earn Manchester City a 1-0 win over FC Timisoara.

Balotelli was signed from Inter Milan last week and the Italy international was registered with Uefa in time to be involved in Thursday's Europa League tie in Romania.

With City adopting a patient approach, Balotelli was introduced as a second-half substitute and marked his bow by scoring the only goal on 72 minutes.

City boss Mancini was delighted to see Balotelli make such a decisive impact on his first appearance for the club and expects further improvement from the 20-year-old.

"He had a great debut and I am happy that he scored," said Mancini. "He is a good player.

"He needs to improve of course and get to know everybody. It was the first time he had played with the team."

Balotelli, however, picked up a booking in the first-leg encounter after losing his cool and was told by Mancini not to repeat his actions in England.

The Italian warned: "We must work on this with him because it will be different in the Premier League than in Italy."

Balotelli needed treatment at the end of the game but Mancini expects the forward to be fit for Monday's Premier League fixture with Liverpool.

Mancini said: "We do not think it is serious. It was probably just a kick, it is not a problem."

Regarding the game itself, Mancini was pleased with the result but stressed the importance of not under-estimating Timisoara for the return at Eastlands next week.

"It was a difficult game because Timisoara are a good team and they played very well in the first half," he continued.

"In the end, it is a good result for us. But they made it difficult for us by getting so many players behind the ball.

"All the players played well, especially in the second half and we moved the ball quickly. When (Adam) Johnson came on, he also did well.

"I think we deserved to score another goal because we had three or four good chances.

"Football is strange. When you think you can win easy, you must have maximum concentration."

well and truly deservedly beaten there.

have to say though, soft spot that i have for city notwithstanding, it does feel a bit like losing to chelsea circa 2005.

Yeah but come on Stevie, i'd like to know your view on this, don't you think this lot deserve teh Sheikh Whateverhisnameis $$ over a lot of other Clubs out there, Clubs for example that take away 400 for a local derby, that have Fans that are as <deleted> awful as Alan Titchmarsh would be on XTC etc etc cos they are out there Stevie Mate & i know who i'd rather have given this chance & this $$..

I like City for their Fans, loyal through some bad bad times recently, they never wavered through them too & stayed loyal which gives them my vote all day long..

Interesting viewpoint from Martin Samuel of the Daily Mail:-

Don't mock Manchester City, they may not be as silly as you think...

Kamikaze spending, Sir Alex Ferguson called it, in one of those soundbites destined to pass into history judging by how widely it has been quoted this week. Yet what else are Manchester City to do? It is not their fault that a club with ambition has to approach the transfer market on the divine wind.

A ticking clock counts down the minutes to the end of this transfer window on the sports news channel, but there is a Doomsday scenario extending beyond that.

The next window, in January, is the last that will not feel the impact of the financial regulations imposed by Michel Platini, the UEFA president. By the time of the following financial year, April 2011 to April 2012, clubs must start to reduce losses and while there are four more seasons before the regulations properly take hold, the rules are complex and incorporate retrospective calculation.

In simple terms, after this year, all transfers will contribute in some way to UEFA's reckoning. City may not be getting the greatest value for money right now, but if there is an element of Supermarket Sweep about their behaviour, that is because Platini's legislation makes it now or never for big spenders.

The elite clubs, like Ferguson's Manchester United, can sit pretty knowing that once the controls are in place they will always have the largest budgets. It is the likes of City, desperately scrambling to get through the door before it shuts, who have been condemned to spend, spend, spend.

So, of course, the policy appears irrational. City have paid as much for James Milner, who had an erratic World Cup, as Real Madrid did combined for Mesut Ozil and Sami Khedira of Germany, two of the revelations of the tournament.

David Silva, who could not make the Spanish team, has come in at a price not far behind David Villa, arguably the most talented striker in the world. Yaya Toure cost £24million, at a time when Inter Milan have balked at paying a similar price for a better holding midfield player - the captain of Argentina, Javier Mascherano of Liverpool.

Manchester City's total transfer bill since Sheik Mansour's arrival is over £350m, but why the surprise? The moment Platini made his flawed theories a reality, there was always going to be a reckless, lastminute scramble. By spending now, City no doubt hope to buck the system, assembling a powerful squad and achieving success before it becomes almost impossible for the little guy to get ahead.

Depending on how City manage the accounts, there could be an even greater advantage. Transfer expenditure is listed in one of two ways: as an outgoing lump sum, or with the fee spread over the years of the contract. So payment for Milner could be shown as £24m now or, for instance, £4.8m over five years, a process known as amortisation.

If City choose this option, some of Milner's transfer money will eventually be part of UEFA's calculation of City's budget; but put wholly into this year's accounts will fall outside UEFA's remit. Then, if Milner is later sold, the fee received counts as money coming into the club and helps increase the size of the budget. City's owners, unlike most rivals, actually have the capital to do this. They may not be as silly as they look.

It is easy to mock City's pretensions and excesses, but harsh to hold them solely responsible. Yes, even without Platini's new rules they would have spent big in the hope of entering the Champions League next season; but the utter abandon of their activity this summer is another gift to football from UEFA.

Platini has been let off the hook repeatedly in interviews when asked how he is going to maintain competition and mobility while limiting the investment potential of ambitious smaller clubs. He has been allowed to blather that it is something UEFA will look at.

In doing so, he is carving out football's equivalent of the policy in Iraq: a hugely significant decision with no thought given to its consequences. Indeed, by forcing a club such as City into ever greater short-term spirals of recklessness and financial aggression, Platini hasn't even considered the potential for damage in the prelude, let alone the aftermath.

Interesting viewpoint from Martin Samuel of the Daily Mail:-

Don't mock Manchester City, they may not be as silly as you think...

Kamikaze spending, Sir Alex Ferguson called it, in one of those soundbites destined to pass into history judging by how widely it has been quoted this week. Yet what else are Manchester City to do? It is not their fault that a club with ambition has to approach the transfer market on the divine wind.

A ticking clock counts down the minutes to the end of this transfer window on the sports news channel, but there is a Doomsday scenario extending beyond that.

The next window, in January, is the last that will not feel the impact of the financial regulations imposed by Michel Platini, the UEFA president. By the time of the following financial year, April 2011 to April 2012, clubs must start to reduce losses and while there are four more seasons before the regulations properly take hold, the rules are complex and incorporate retrospective calculation.

In simple terms, after this year, all transfers will contribute in some way to UEFA's reckoning. City may not be getting the greatest value for money right now, but if there is an element of Supermarket Sweep about their behaviour, that is because Platini's legislation makes it now or never for big spenders.

The elite clubs, like Ferguson's Manchester United, can sit pretty knowing that once the controls are in place they will always have the largest budgets. It is the likes of City, desperately scrambling to get through the door before it shuts, who have been condemned to spend, spend, spend.

So, of course, the policy appears irrational. City have paid as much for James Milner, who had an erratic World Cup, as Real Madrid did combined for Mesut Ozil and Sami Khedira of Germany, two of the revelations of the tournament.

David Silva, who could not make the Spanish team, has come in at a price not far behind David Villa, arguably the most talented striker in the world. Yaya Toure cost £24million, at a time when Inter Milan have balked at paying a similar price for a better holding midfield player - the captain of Argentina, Javier Mascherano of Liverpool.

Manchester City's total transfer bill since Sheik Mansour's arrival is over £350m, but why the surprise? The moment Platini made his flawed theories a reality, there was always going to be a reckless, lastminute scramble. By spending now, City no doubt hope to buck the system, assembling a powerful squad and achieving success before it becomes almost impossible for the little guy to get ahead.

Depending on how City manage the accounts, there could be an even greater advantage. Transfer expenditure is listed in one of two ways: as an outgoing lump sum, or with the fee spread over the years of the contract. So payment for Milner could be shown as £24m now or, for instance, £4.8m over five years, a process known as amortisation.

If City choose this option, some of Milner's transfer money will eventually be part of UEFA's calculation of City's budget; but put wholly into this year's accounts will fall outside UEFA's remit. Then, if Milner is later sold, the fee received counts as money coming into the club and helps increase the size of the budget. City's owners, unlike most rivals, actually have the capital to do this. They may not be as silly as they look.

It is easy to mock City's pretensions and excesses, but harsh to hold them solely responsible. Yes, even without Platini's new rules they would have spent big in the hope of entering the Champions League next season; but the utter abandon of their activity this summer is another gift to football from UEFA.

Platini has been let off the hook repeatedly in interviews when asked how he is going to maintain competition and mobility while limiting the investment potential of ambitious smaller clubs. He has been allowed to blather that it is something UEFA will look at.

In doing so, he is carving out football's equivalent of the policy in Iraq: a hugely significant decision with no thought given to its consequences. Indeed, by forcing a club such as City into ever greater short-term spirals of recklessness and financial aggression, Platini hasn't even considered the potential for damage in the prelude, let alone the aftermath.

Total load of old babblecock, they were always going to spend big money regardless of UEFA financial regulations coming in soon.

He mentions the buying of Milner as some sort of way of increasing there budget when the new regulations kick in but fails to mention that all players values could deppreciate by then thus Milner could be worth peanuts ;) .

Edited by alfieconn