Manchester City

mrbojangles

I actually reckon that City will break into the top 4 this season,probably at the expense of Arsenal.

I think that the only other club to have achieved this in the last 6 years or so is Everton but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

It does get a bit boring with the same 4 teams dominating each season and it would be nice for a change if 6 teams are in with a shout of the title with a month to go.

Everton,Villa,Spurs,West Ham not quite ready to challenge yet,though.

I actually reckon that City will break into the top 4 this season,probably at the expense of Arsenal.

Just shows how much the Premiership is sewn up when we speculate about a club spending all the money in the universe not actually winning the title but maybe breaking into the top four. I just about remember now, even when some teams only won promotion that season all but winning it -- Newcastle being one as I remember.

Everton,Villa,Spurs,West Ham not quite ready to challenge yet,though.
:)

Just shows how much the Premiership is sewn up when we speculate about a club spending all the money in the universe not actually winning the title but maybe breaking into the top four.

All the money in the Universe :) Do you know how much we have actually spent ? We spent less on Tevez, Santa Cruz, Taylor and Barry combined, than what Real Madrid spent on Ronaldo. I think it totalled about 55 mil. United and Liverpool have spent that in the past. You don't half keep on waffling on about City HH, when many other clubs have spent much, much more.

Edited by mrbojangles

From skysports:-

Barry hits back at Benitez

Gareth Barry has accused Rafa Benitez of a lack of respect after the Liverpool manager questioned the motives behind his move to Manchester City.

The England midfielder left Aston Villa for Eastlands earlier this summer having come close to joining the Anfield outfit last year, only for the deal to fall through.

Barry had previously claimed he was eager to play UEFA Champions League football, but City will have no involvement in continental competition this year, which led to Benitez suggesting his decision was purely financial.

The left-sided ace is adamant that the money on offer from the cash-rich Eastlands outfit did not sway him, and he was more impressed by City's desire to bring him on board as they look to challenge the established hierarchy in English football.

"I found Rafa Benitez's comments a bit disrespectful," Barry told the Daily Telegraph.

"By that stage my decision was made and people should move on. There was genuine interest from Liverpool and I think he's probably just upset I chose City.

"I've been in the Premier League for 10 years, more, and the money I've been paid is phenomenal compared to your average, everyday working man. You live and work away from normal life anyway, so money's not a big factor.

"The difference was that City made me feel wanted. Liverpool had a chance to buy me last season but failed to pay the money, and only found it this year when they knew someone else had reached an agreement."

Barry admitted the collapse of his proposed move to Anfield last summer made his return to Villa Park a trying time and accused the Reds of making 'excuses' over their failure to complete the deal.

He added: "There was a feeling of being let down. Excuses were made about things going on behind the scenes and in the boardroom, but I came out of it looking like a bad person.

"It took a long time for me to get back into the squad at Villa afterwards. It was tough to deal with.

"That's why there's nothing better than a club making you feel wanted and getting a deal done in days.

"It's not about money, it's about the chance to be part of something big from the very beginning at a club who really want you."

Just shows how much the Premiership is sewn up when we speculate about a club spending all the money in the universe not actually winning the title but maybe breaking into the top four.

All the money in the Universe :) Do you know how much we have actually spent ? We spent less on Tevez, Santa Cruz, Taylor and Barry combined, than what Real Madrid spent on Ronaldo. I think it totalled about 55 mil. United and Liverpool have spent that in the past. You don't half keep on waffling on about City HH, when many other clubs have spent much, much more.

Might have been exaggerating a bit about all the money in the universe. Mrbj. But if all the other ' big clubs' in the Premiership, each with less money to spend, are not bidding for players until Manchester City have finished with their acquisitions, then that says something. Wait until a couple of weeks before the season starts and there's a feverish load of dealings to see my point.

But of course my general thoughts weren't so much concerned with Manchester City, but about the way that the Premiership has all been done and dusted amongst Man u, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal for years. Mainly, that the now richest and possibly most star-studded team are not considered, by most, to be likely challengers for breaking into the established top three.

Mainly, that the now richest and possibly most star-studded team are not considered, by most, to be likely challengers for breaking into the established top three.

It takes time HH. We can't expect to buy a load of strangers and gel straight away. I have the patience to go along with what the City management feel will be success this year. And a top 6 finish is the target. Anything above that is a bonus and ahead of the plan.

City seal Adebayor swoop

Gunners ace pens Eastlands contract

Manchester City have completed the signing of Arsenal's Emmanuel Adebayor on a five-year contract.

The fee for the Togo international has not been disclosed, although the 25-year-old is believed to have cost City in the region of £25million.

Adebayor was omitted from the Arsenal squad which tackled Barnet on Saturday as he was in Manchester putting the final touches on his five-year contact.

The former Monaco man, who joined Arsenal in 2006, has been moved by the reception received by fans and is looking forward to making history at Eastlands.

"It made me feel really welcome and special and I can't wait to play for City's fans and show them what I can do," he told City's official website.

"I was born to play football and that is what I want to do. I have come here to make history for this club and those supporters. It what the chairman and the manager told me that they want too and I can't wait to get started."

Manager Mark Hughes has signed some of the world's finest strikers this summer with Adebayor joining the likes of Carlos Tevez and Roque Santa Cruz in joining City.

Although Hughes has a plethora of attacking options he is delighted to have acquired Adebayor's signature, stating he will 'greatly enhance' City's ability to compete with the big four.

"Emmanuel has been one of the top forwards in the Premier League since he arrived from France and we are delighted he has agreed to come and join us," he declared.

"Along with the other signings we have made in the last two windows he will greatly enhance our ability to compete with the top sides.

"His arrival is another clear indication that we are determined to augment the players we have here with the best of international talent.

"He adds vital balance and power to our attack. He has everything a top forward needs. He is versatile, powerful, quick and agile on the ball.

"I am looking forward to working with him as are the rest of the staff. He will definitely add a new dimension to our play. I have been a great admirer for a long time."

Interesting article here :-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...ore-absurd.html

Even if the writer waxes a little too lyrical here....... :)

"Thirty-five years on from Denis Law’s back-heel, City’s vault once more runneth over. This time they come as parvenus, gauche, nouveau-riche types dripping in black gold and seeking to buy their way into the football aristocracy."

..but I do like this bit...

"With United disappearing at warp speed into another stratosphere in the Premier League era"

and of course the bottom line..

"The pressure on Hughes, a rare intelligence in football’s academic wasteland, is already absurd. City can buy who they like. What they need more than anything is credibility."

. City can buy who they like. What they need more than anything is credibility.

"Can't buy me love."

:)

Don't need to buy love HH. We have had an abundance of love for City for years and years. Long, long before we had any dosh. And we'll still have the love, if the dosh disappears. :D

From the city web site:-

Tevez trains for first time

Mark Hughes says that Carlos Tevez is unlikely to play against the Kaizer Chiefs on Tuesday, and has also refuted suggestions that Nedum Onuoha would leave the club as a transfer makeweight.

Last Saturday's defeat to Orlando Pirates saw some stellar talent not even make the subs' bench, with Roque Santa Cruz, Gareth Barry and Carlos Tevez sitting out the game after only arriving from Abu Dhabi the day before.

Globe-trotting Tevez started last week in Argentina without a club, and ended it in South Africa as a City player having travelled via Manchester and the Middle East. However, it was not jet lag, but a niggling injury that has kept him out thus far in South Africa, as Mark Hughes explained at Monday afternoon's press conference at the ABSA Stadium ahead of Tuesday's encounter with the Kaizer Chiefs.

"The likelihood is that Gareth will take part tomorrow, but Carlos has not had a training session with the group since arriving because he has had a slightly bruised heel. He will train today, but it is only his first session so it may be a bit soon for him to play tomorrow. But, with a bit of work going into next Saturday's game, the hope is that he will take some part in that one."

There was also news on when another of this summer's acquisitions, Emmanuel Adebayor, will meet his new team mates for the first time.

"Emmanuel is travelling out and should be with us tomorrow," Mark added, "we will see what condition he is in then and I can make a decision with regard to whether he's available for the game at the weekend.

"The group is really excited by the impact of the new players, and they are really looking forward to the challenge of this season. That's due to the high quality we have been able to add to what we already had in the squad, so everybody is excited by what's ahead."

One player who will not be joining the squad in South Africa is Micah Richards, who will continue his recovery from a well-publicised bout of swine flu in Manchester.

"It was confirmed to us last week that he had contracted swine flu, and he was quite ill for two or three days, but thankfully he is now a lot better," Hughes said. "Initially the idea was to bring him here for the second week because he had played internationals late into June, but we were advised it was better if he did not travel. He stays in Manchester, and will have a week's training there before we come back."

The Manager also refuted suggestions made in a newspaper story this morning that Nedum Onuoha would be sold as a makeweight in a deal to bring another defender to the Club.

"I am aware of that story," he added, "and I can say categorically that there is not truth in it whatsoever. Nedum is one of our finest young players, he was outstanding for us last season, and I am not looking to move one of our prize assets away from Manchester City."

Hughes disagrees with Fergie

Manchester City manager Mark Hughes believes his side can pose a threat to Premier League champions Manchester United this season.

Red Devils boss Sir Alex Ferguson recently claimed that, despite their spending in the transfer window, he does not consider City a challenger for the 2009/10 title.

Hughes, though, is optimistic that cash-rich City, bolstered by the likes of Carlos Tevez and Emmanuel Adebayor, could be a force to be reckoned with in the new campaign.

The Welshman said: "I have huge respect for him but that does not mean I have to agree with what he says.

"I don't think this is a mind game."

New signing Gareth Barry made his debut as City recovered from their weekend loss to Orlando Pirates by defeating Kaizer Chiefs 1-0 in the second match of their South African tour.

"I was delighted to get out," he said. "The main aim was to have the fitness for 60 minutes. I came off feeling good and I am looking forward to playing in the final.

"I have only been training for a week with City. There are new faces and the training is different, but I am getting used to it."

The former Aston Villa midfielder added: "I have signed a five-year contract with City and I believe I will play UEFA Champions League football with them."

For United fans to deface their former hero :)

Plenty enough dumb asses out there mate, some of them wear red too ya know. Safely not in the knowledge that its defaced enough by the fact that Tevez is wearing a United strip anyway.....!!!!!

redrus

Plenty enough dumb asses out there mate, some of them wear red too ya know. Safely not in the knowledge that its defaced enough by the fact that Tevez is wearing a United strip anyway.....!!!!!

Hang on, I smell a Rat here. United fans wouldn't deface a United shirt (even though it had been coloured blue) and city fans wouldn't deface their new striker. I reckon it was those pesky Stockport County fans trying to cause a ruckous :D

Hang on, I smell a Rat here. United fans wouldn't deface a United shirt (even though it had been coloured blue) and city fans wouldn't deface their new striker. I reckon it was those pesky Stockport County fans trying to cause a ruckous :D

Never, It's those mindless Rochdale lot if you ask me....!

redrus

For United fans to deface their former hero :D

Never, It's those mindless Rochdale lot if you ask me....!

Nah, butter wouldn't melt in their mouths.

I've never understood that saying :)

I see Fergie has lost it again and the season hasn't even started :)

BBC

Man City a small club - Ferguson

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson says Manchester City "are a small club with a small mentality".

The Scot is unimpressed by City signing Carlos Tevez when the Argentine left Old Trafford at the end of last season.

A city-centre billboard appeared soon after, saying "Carlos Tevez, welcome to Manchester" under a sky-blue graphic.

"It's City isn't it? They're a small club with a small mentality. All they can talk about is Manchester United; they can't get away from it," he said.

"They think taking Carlos Tevez away from Manchester United is a triumph. It is poor stuff."

Manchester City have spent heavily in recent weeks, with Emmanuel Adebayor signing from Arsenal for about £25m, midfielder Barry coming from Aston Villa for £12m, Paraguayan frontman Santa Cruz costing £18m from Blackburn, and Tevez arriving for £25m.

_46113898_007664830-1.jpg The billboard poster went up in Manchester after Tevez signed for City Ferguson, who was speaking on the Premier League champions' pre-season tour in China, claimed that Adebayor had attempted to sign for Manchester United before committing to City.

"When someone offers you that kind of money, it is a big attraction," said Ferguson. "That is the reason they have gone there.

"At the last minute, from what I can gather, either Emmanuel Adebayor or his agent phoned us after they had agreed a deal with City and then did the same with Chelsea. He was desperate to get to either Chelsea or us."

Edited by Devil

The Hammers are desperate to keep hold of the England defender, who still has two years remaining on his contract at Upton Park.

City's failure to land John Terry from Chelsea and being told to double their £15m offer for Everton's Joleon Lescott has sparked fears that Upson could be next on Mark Hughes' shopping list.

Hughes has spent £80m this summer, but is yet to sign a top central defender.

Looks like Hughes is totally desperate about having not to resort to the old (below) formation next season. :)

.................x...............

.........x...............x......

x................x.................x

x............x................x................x..............x

:D

"At the last minute, from what I can gather, either Emmanuel Adebayor or his agent phoned us after they had agreed a deal with City and then did the same with Chelsea. He was desperate to get to either Chelsea or us."

What he can gather from where? The bottom ofhis Wine bottle. Alcoholic git :)

Hughes reply is much more dignified than that slurring red nose git. :) From skysports:-

Hughes happy with business

City boss says poster campaign is a bit of fun

Mark Hughes remains 'very happy' with his transfer business and says Manchester City's poster campaign which has drawn Sir Alex Ferguson's ire is 'a bit of fun'.

City have spent big over the summer by bringing in the likes of Gareth Barry, Roque Santa Cruz, Carlos Tevez and Emmanuel Adebayor.

Ferguson claimed over the weekend that Adebayor had been 'desperate' to join Manchester United or Chelsea before he signed for City and suggested the striker had moved for financial reasons.

Former United striker Hughes is not worried by Ferguson's comments about his transfer dealings and is simply excited by the season ahead.

"Sir Alex Ferguson is a man I hold the utmost respect for and he is fully entitled to his opinion," Hughes told the club's official website.

"I am very happy with the transfer business Manchester City have conducted this summer, and that the players we have recruited are as excited as I am about the season ahead."

City's 'Welcome to Manchester' poster to accompany the signing of Tevez, who had spent the previous two seasons at United, also prompted criticism from Ferguson.

The United boss claimed it was 'arrogant' and 'daft', but Hughes believes it is just light-hearted banter between the local rivals.

Hughes added: "The poster campaign in Manchester is a bit of fun between fans in a similar vein as the banner at Old Trafford which counts the timespan since City's last trophy win.

"We're glad it's got so many people talking."

City close on Toure deal

Arsenal stopper to have talks with big spenders

Sky Sports sources understand Manchester City are close to agreeing a £16million deal with Arsenal for Kolo Toure.

The central defender is to return from the club's pre-season training camp in Austria to undergo talks with City officials and manager Mark Hughes.

City reportedly failed in a bid to sign the Ivory Coast international in January but appear to be close to landing their man this time around.

When quizzed on Toure's future on Monday, Arsenal chief Arsene Wenger said: "We'll see what's happening in the next 24 hours."

City boss Hughes is eager to add defensive reinforcements to his ranks having already pepped up his attack this summer, via the high profile additions of Carlos Tevez, Emmanuel Adebayor and Roque Santa Cruz.

Bids for Chelsea captain John Terry and Everton stopper Joleon Lescott have failed to bear fruit, with Toure seen as a viable alternative.