Manchester City

mrbojangles

We haven't "opened" the market to anything at all. For time eternal, many other clubs have been breaking record deals (remember Man United with Ferdinand for a defender for instance) and this summer has seen Real Madrid dwarf our spending. We are just trying to play catch up in the Premier League to what at least the "big four" have been doing for years.

It's not really the point whether there have been record breaking deals concerning individual players in the past or not -- it'd have been very surprising if otherwise. Nor that Manchester City are -- as yet -- sixty million behind Real Madrid buying in the transfer market. Although I've always considered Real Madrid to be a loathsome club anyway, they are at least Real Madrid. Think on whether the egos of world class players would sooner sit on the bench of Real Madrid because of who they are, and then Manchester City.

However, the point is that as Blackburn Rovers bought their way into temporary success. Chelsea more permantely and now Manchester City are attempting to do the same -- each have all contributed to distorting the market value for players. But only Manchester City have left many to scratch their heads as there seems to be buying the most pricey at the cost of uneven development in terms of building a cohesive team. In this sense they have opened up a market that doesn't necessarily follow any logic. But spending only to appease the Sheik owners new plaything and the desire for Manchester City supporters to achieve the success -- that has always been the forte of their geographical rivals -- at any price.

For most that value their club's integrity, that would have been a price too far if their own had gone along the same route.

Lets be fair to blackburn buying the tittle it was a local lad jack walker and his money he was a life long fan and good on him, so a big difference to chelsea and city's backers. :)

Lets be fair to blackburn buying the tittle it was a local lad jack walker and his money he was a life long fan and good on him, so a big difference to chelsea and city's backers. :)

And United's backers are local lads are they. Think, before you drink, before you type nev :D

And United's backers are local lads are they. Think, before you drink, before you type nev :D

United gimps are not backers mate they are leaches!

We was in a better position before the gimps came same as liverpool was before.

Where as yours and chelsea is based on being a play toy for rich billionaires with nothing better to spend money on.

We generate our money to spend by bums on seats and revenue.

jack walker cannot be compared to the arab and russian backers he was a life long fan.

You can slice and dice it anyway you wish nev, to suit your own bias to United but at the end of the day my statement is correct. Your owners are NOT local lads. You are in the same position as us and owned by foreigners. Except ours have more dosh. :)

United gimps are not backers mate they are leaches!

We was in a better position before the gimps came same as liverpool was before.

Where as yours and chelsea is based on being a play toy for rich billionaires with nothing better to spend money on.

We generate our money to spend by bums on seats and revenue.

jack walker cannot be compared to the arab and russian backers he was a life long fan.

You can slice and dice it anyway you wish nev, to suit your own bias to United but at the end of the day my statement is correct. Your owners are NOT local lads. You are in the same position as us and owned by foreigners. Except ours have more dosh. :)

I'd say youre both right in this dispute!

Whilst our neighbours up the road were losing away to Burnley, City were winning away at the Nou Camp to Barcelona. And we won a Trophy :)

From skysports:-

City beat Barca in friendly

Petrov goal enough to see off European champions

Martin Petrov scored the only goal of the game as Manchester City beat Barcelona 1-0 in a prestigious friendly at Camp Nou.

The European champions dominated for long spells of the game, but were caught out by a goal from Bulgarian winger Petrov in the 28th minute.

Barca handed summer signing Zlatan Ibrahimovic his debut and he had a late chance cleared off the line by City.

The result means City win the Joan Gamper Trophy and it provides Mark Hughes' side with another fillip after a successful start to the Premier League season last weekend.

Meanwhile, Barca's domestic rivals Real Madrid crushed Borussia Dortmund 5-0 in a friendly to celebrate the German club's 100th anniversary.

Esteban Granero scored after just three minutes for Real, while Dutch winger Arjen Robben increased the lead moments after half-time.

Gonzalo Higuain and Kaka from the penalty spot scored within the space of three minutes before Raul netted a fifth a minute from time.

Looks like this young lad, Vladi Weiss is a good prospect

From the city website:-

Vladi brilliant

Hughes so proud of lads

Mark Hughes was celebrating a job well done last night in the shadow of the Nou Camp - and not just because his mix-and-match Blues had turned over the reigning European champions.

Manager Hughes wanted his fit players to see how it feels to face the best in their own lair, but maybe he also thrust a star of the future into the spotlight in young Vladi Weiss.

The young Slovakian winger, not 20 until November and with just 18 minutes' senior playing time in his locker, was a revelation on the big stage before an audience of more than 94,000.

Hughes was so pleased with Academy graduate Weiss' debut, he interrupted the press conference translations to namecheck the right winger in case his Spanish inquisitors missed the point.

He said: "I've been able to give some young players the opportunity to play in the Nou Camp, a night they will never forget.

"Barcelona have great depth and great young talent, as we saw. But the most outstanding young player was probably Vladi Weiss for City, and it was great to get Kieran Trippier on the pitch."

Barcelona, unable to crack City's magnificent back four and goalkeeper Shay Given after Martin Petrov's cool 27th-minute strike, were without a good few of their European final stars.

But City were missing Robinho, Emmanuel Adebayor and others, and Hughes added: "We also had probably seven or eight senior players unavailable so we were not at full strength either.

"I felt it was an experience that we needed. We are developing as a team and having the opportunity to come to the European champions and try and compete was vitally important.

"You expect to concede possession to a team of Barcelona's quality, but you have to take your chances when they come. We were calm, organised and understood what we were trying to achieve.

"We're very proud, it was a great evening. To have a good night and win at the Nou Camp doesn't happen to many teams, so when it does happen, you have to enjoy it. It doesn't get much better.

"We're told it's the first time an English team has won the Joan Gamper trophy. OK, it's a friendly, but it's still a feather in our cap. Barcelona aren't allowed to lose friendlies, especially on their own patch."

Hughes already had one eye on the home opener with Wolves as the squad tucked into a late meal. He said: "It was always going to be a big crowd ... I'm sure they'll be swinging from the rafters after this."

From skysports:-

McCarthy doubts City chances

Big spenders not ready for tilt at title, says Wolves boss

Wolves boss Mick McCarthy does not believe that Manchester City will launch a serious assault on the Premier League title this season.

The big spenders started their season with a 2-0 win against Blackburn and will be looking to maintain the perfect start when they face McCarthy's side on Saturday.

Despite the former Sunderland manager being confident that City will have a strong campaign, he thinks a team needs time to settle before challenging for top honours.

"I don't think that expecting them to win the league when they have just bought a team is realistic," McCarthy said.

"They might make a push for it. But I just don't think it is realistic to expect them to win the league when others have got a settled team."

City's dealings in the transfer market have caused concern in some circles, with their lavish spending coming in for criticism.

But McCarthy does not accept that the City takeover and subsequent transfers are over the top, saying that their emergence has been entertaining.

He added: "I can't see it being bad for the game. We are in the entertainment business when all is said and done and it is entertaining if nothing else."

The 50-year-old also rubbished suggestions that the intense spotlight City manager Mark Hughes has been put under makes his job harder than other managers in the league.

"Quite clearly they have got a better squad of players than I have got. But Mark Hughes' job is no harder than mine," McCarthy said.

"He has a place where he is expected to finish and I have a place where I am expected to finish.

"Mine is 17th and up and theirs is sixth and up. I have got the players to finish 17th and up, he has got the players to finish sixth and up so why does it make his job any harder than mine? It doesn't. Not at all."

McCarthy knows that he will be up against a team of undoubted quality on Saturday, but thinks a win is possible despite the disadvantage.

"I have just looked down the City team and all you can say is: 'Flipping heck'," he said.

"This is the real thing now and it is fantastic. We are playing against a better team and better players.

"But Burnley beating Manchester United has given us all hope. Birmingham only lost 1-0 at Old Trafford last weekend and could have equalised in the last minute.

"My players will learn how to play in the Premier League and they will get more comfortable with it. But we all know what a great game and test this will be for us."

Well lads if you saw the second half Mighty Mick may have a point. Talented enough going forward, but boy your back line was run ragged by little old Wolves, with even die hard City types thankful that you just held on.

Well lads if you saw the second half Mighty Mick may have a point. Talented enough going forward, but boy your back line was run ragged by little old Wolves, with even die hard City types thankful that you just held on.

I wouldnt say 'just held on' :)

I still think we won a shade comfortably.

Our defensive situation will be helped later today when we get Lescott.

The first 2 games are over, we havent beaten much, but historically we have always struggled away to Blackburn and at home to Wolves, and we have 6 points out of 6, so I will take that :D

And nobody can deny that we are certainly entertaining :D

I wouldnt say 'just held on' :)

I still think we won a shade comfortably.

Our defensive situation will be helped later today when we get Lescott.

The first 2 games are over, we havent beaten much, but historically we have always struggled away to Blackburn and at home to Wolves, and we have 6 points out of 6, so I will take that :D

And nobody can deny that we are certainly entertaining :D

I concur Jack.

Suiging, your lads did play well, especially in the second half, when really, we let you back in it. We should have killed you off in the first half but we didn't take our chances. Now, we want you to go on and take points away from United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool, please :D

Fair enough.

Lot of Wolves fans a tad pissed at the City fan sites who were all predicting 7-0 walk-overs.

Wolves are a little team with heart. Can't buy heart even with all the oil money in the world. I think Lescott will make the difference for your lot and as we have a sell on clause with Everton, we will make a few bob as well !!

Can't buy heart even with all the oil money in the world.

You're absolutely right. And before we had this money, City fans were and still are, renowned for having massive hearts.

Winning when you're a new Team who are not playing particulary great just yet & are still gelling, is the way forward Gentlemen... :)

Tis indeed Singhy. Alot of people are forgetting that these guys were all strangers a few months ago. Most teams take weeks to adapt to one new player. I am content with the way things are going for now.

Lescott fee agreed will be a massive step forward. Wolves had it fairly easy up the middle in the second half, wont happen again with Lescott.

I think he is a good player but not sure about him being a "great" player. The fee of 24/25 Million is grossly over the top for him. We should have told Everton to stuff at 15 mil, as that was way over the top also.

However, I now hope he goes on to make me eat my words. And I will gladly do that :)

Lescott fee agreed will be a massive step forward. Wolves had it fairly easy up the middle in the second half, wont happen again with Lescott.

I think he is a good player but not sure about him being a "great" player. The fee of 24/25 Million is grossly over the top for him. We should have told Everton to stuff at 15 mil, as that was way over the top also.

However, I now hope he goes on to make me eat my words. And I will gladly do that :D

so far you seemed to have made a good deal on Tevez. :)

Mr bo i agree fee ridiculious way to much but he could turn out a good buy for you.

Bit like we paid to much for berbatov but now worth the money against wigan he was class.

Would have to say that not many CH's have the on the ground ball skills of young Lescott.

Hope your medical system is up to speed, he had both his knee's done by a rather well known Wolverhampton family when playing for the Wolves. Expensive USA doctors seem to have put him back together again, but....................

suging i could name 10 CH better than hjim in the premier league everton lad i know said they bought the wrong guy jagielkar is the better CH.

agree. hangeland would have been better and cheaper. so would bassong. lescott's a strange second choice considering their first was a terry.

suging i could name 10 CH better than hjim in the premier league everton lad i know said they bought the wrong guy jagielkar is the better CH.

agree. hangeland would have been better and cheaper. so would bassong. lescott's a strange second choice considering their first was a terry.

Yep. You won't get any arguments from me on that. But like I say, I sincerely hope that my perception is proved to be 100% wrong

Mate, as I've said, we ( Wolves ) get a nice healthy sell-on fee, so .....................shhhhhhh.

:D

Good on yer :)

Hey Camel Jockey (aka Mr. BJ :) ) found this little gem on internet...

Footballers lose respect a survey exclusive to PRWeek finds

Cathy Wallace, PR Week UK, 18 August 2009, 06:00am

Chelsea and England captain John Terry is one of a number of top footballers to see their reputations take a hit during this summer's transfer window.

Reputation hit: John Terry

Exclusive research for PRWeek also found Emmanuel Adebayor, Darren Bent, Cristiano Ronaldo and Carlos Tevez lost respect from fans. However, Michael Owen, who joined Manchester United after his agents released a brochure outlining his strengths, gained approval from the terraces.

The survey of more than 1,000 fans was carried out in conjunction with Braben Sport. Rachel Froggatt, director of Braben Sport, said: 'This year's transfer season has demonstrated how far removed football players can be from the lives of the everyday fan.'

Was gonna put this in the Chelsea thread but seems more appropriate here (cause you are partially to blame for his poor showing) :D

Hey Camel Jockey (aka Mr. BJ :) )

Yes Mounty :D

However, Michael Owen, who joined Manchester United after his agents released a brochure outlining his strengths, gained approval from the terraces.

Jaysus. His agents had to issue a brochure to get someone to buy him :D Is he a fekkin Detached Bungalow or a 3 Bed Semi. Either way, did the brochure say that he needs complete modernisation or just that the foundations needed underpinning :D

Was gonna put this in the Chelsea thread but seems more appropriate here (cause you are partially to blame for his poor showing) :D

I don't know how we are to blame. He stayed a Chelsea player. End of.

Hey Camel Jockey (aka Mr. BJ :) )

Yes Mounty :D

However, Michael Owen, who joined Manchester United after his agents released a brochure outlining his strengths, gained approval from the terraces.

Jaysus. His agents had to issue a brochure to get someone to buy him :D Is he a fekkin Detached Bungalow or a 3 Bed Semi. Either way, did the brochure say that he needs complete modernisation or just that the foundations needed underpinning :D

Only one comment to make regarding your last sentence. It was your tapping up that caused him to question his faith so you are partly to blame :D - perhaps he can sue City for loss of face (I would say character normally, but in the case of JT, that would be going too far).

Only one comment to make regarding your last sentence. It was your tapping up that caused him to question his faith so you are partly to blame :) - perhaps he can sue City for loss of face (I would say character normally, but in the case of JT, that would be going too far).

In that case, I'm glad we could have been of assistance :D