Manchester City

mrbojangles

Something about today's match with Southampton, but also something for long time City supporters like Jack:

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/manchestercity/id/2694?cc=4716

I was only born in 1984 jelly, so before my time but jack was born in 1944, so he'll remember tongue.png

Somehow I figured you were bordering on whippersnapper age, MrB.biggrin.png I'm waiting for Jack to weigh in on the City oldies.smile.png

Something about today's match with Southampton, but also something for long time City supporters like Jack:

That brings back some memories Jellydog. I was a regular at the Dell from 1976 until 1987 when i moved to Wales. Ivan Golac was a very popular player with the Saints fans, he was a great footballer who loved to get forward and was very exciting to watch. We did have some very entertaining players back then, Lawrie Mac had an uncanny ability to take household name footballers who were maybe considered past their best, also possibly considered a bit of a handful discipline wise, and get the best out of them. Charlie George, Peter Osgood, (breathtaking skills if he was up for it), Frank Worthington,(My and many peoples particular favourite), Alan Ball of course, Mike Channon who is rightly a legend in Southampton. Maybe we didn't win too much, apart from 1976, but how they entertained us. It has to be said that they were all partial to a drink or two, and straight after training they all piled into a mini bus for an afternoon at the races. Different days back then. Who can forget Ossie in the early hours of the morning after the Cup Final, 'mislaying' the FA Cup,( he left it in a burger shop on Shirley High Street!). Frank Worthington quickly achieved cult status at The Dell, he was adored and everyone was devastated when Lawrie sacked him on the spot and sent him home on the Saturday morning of a game away at Stoke. It transpired that during his rounds of the players hotel rooms at midnight on the eve of the game to make sure they were all tucked in, Frank was indeed tucked in, with two ladies! Although McMenemy treated them as adults and gave them a certain amount of leeway, he could be a strong disciplinarian and is a devout catholic. He said afterwards that it broke his heart to get rid of Frank, but he had no choice given the circumstances, he felt his authority would be compromised if he let it go, and i suppose he was right. Those were the days!

That brings back some memories Jellydog. I was a regular at the Dell from 1976 until 1987 when i moved to Wales. Ivan Golac was a very popular player with the Saints fans, he was a great footballer who loved to get forward and was very exciting to watch. We did have some very entertaining players back then, Lawrie Mac had an uncanny ability to take household name footballers who were maybe considered past their best, also possibly considered a bit of a handful discipline wise, and get the best out of them. Charlie George, Peter Osgood, (breathtaking skills if he was up for it), Frank Worthington,(My and many peoples particular favourite), Alan Ball of course, Mike Channon who is rightly a legend in Southampton. Maybe we didn't win too much, apart from 1976, but how they entertained us. It has to be said that they were all partial to a drink or two, and straight after training they all piled into a mini bus for an afternoon at the races. Different days back then. Who can forget Ossie in the early hours of the morning after the Cup Final, 'mislaying' the FA Cup,( he left it in a burger shop on Shirley High Street!). Frank Worthington quickly achieved cult status at The Dell, he was adored and everyone was devastated when Lawrie sacked him on the spot and sent him home on the Saturday morning of a game away at Stoke. It transpired that during his rounds of the players hotel rooms at midnight on the eve of the game to make sure they were all tucked in, Frank was indeed tucked in, with two ladies! Although McMenemy treated them as adults and gave them a certain amount of leeway, he could be a strong disciplinarian and is a devout catholic. He said afterwards that it broke his heart to get rid of Frank, but he had no choice given the circumstances, he felt his authority would be compromised if he let it go, and i suppose he was right. Those were the days!

Now you see it, now you don't. Sweet goal !clap2.gif

I was only born in 1984 jelly, so before my time but jack was born in 1944, so he'll remember tongue.png

Somehow I figured you were bordering on whippersnapper age, MrB.biggrin.png I'm waiting for Jack to weigh in on the City oldies.smile.png

Well I remember Ranson and Bobby Mac, but not Golac.

Strange game this today. Not playing well yet 3-1 up.

Special effort that from Dzeko. Only the keeper to beat, in the 6 yd box and it goes out for a throw inblink.png

• Like 2

Ah well, three huge points and now on to Liverpool. Not one of City's best performances despite the scoreline.

Silva wonderful again.

There's good Yaya and bad Yaya and way too much bad Yaya today. I'll take the PK though.thumbsup.gif

Not a very good performance overall by Navas I thought. Frequently dispossessed and with many poor passes.

• Like 1

Well played City. 3 points.

Why is Dzeko starting ahead of Negredo these days?

Just interested.

Tnx.

He had a bad shoulder injury after xmas and hasn't been firing right since. I also don't think him and Dzecko play well together, he's much better partnering Aguero, whom I hope will be back for the Liverpool game.

Just interested.

Tnx.

He had a bad shoulder injury after xmas and hasn't been firing right since. I also don't think him and Dzecko play well together, he's much better partnering Aguero, whom I hope will be back for the Liverpool game.

tnx

Just interested.

Tnx.

I think Negredo's been watching his mate Soldado recently, that's why Dzeko starts.

Negredo is a bit special. So if he gets back to form and Aguero returns....

Happy bldy days.

facepalm.gif

Just interested.

Tnx.

I think Negredo's been watching his mate Soldado recently, that's why Dzeko starts.

Negredo is a bit special. So if he gets back to form and Aguero returns....

Happy bldy days.

facepalm.gif

Aguero is back in training and may return next week against Liverpool.

• Like 1

Just interested.

Tnx.

Another thinly veiled redneck comment from Sotsira.