Manchester City

mrbojangles

From the Daily Mirror: :o

'SOFA, SO GOOD SVEN'

THE search for Chant of the Season is officially over after Manchester City fans unveiled this classic, to the tune of Lord of the Dance, at Eastlands:

"Sven, Sven wherever you may be

You are the pride of Man City

You can sh4g my wife on our settee

If we win a cup at Wem-ber-lee."

Absolutely classic :D

From the BBC:-

Vassell out for up to a fortnight

Manchester City striker Darius Vassell has been ruled out for up to two weeks with a knee injury.

Manager Sven Goran Eriksson confirmed that the 27-year-old striker injured himself before last Saturday's 2-1 home win over Reading.

He said: "He has a knee problem, which I don't think is a serious one, but I think he's out for a couple of weeks."

Vassell joins a growing injury list at the club with fellow strikers Rolando Bianchi and Emile Mpenza also out.

Bianchi, who also missed last Saturday's win, is suffering with an ankle problem, while Mpenza was substituted at half-time against the Royals with a thigh injury.

There are doubts too over the fitness of Brazilian midfielder Elano and Croatian defender Vedran Coluka following the international break.

Speaking to the club's official website Eriksson said: "Vedran Corluka had two very heavy games on very heavy pitches, so that's a risk too, but they came off the pitch early enough so not to do any further damage.

"Elano has had to do a lot of travelling again to get back (from South America) and it's always a risk when you are a little bit tired and not 100% match fit.

"But I talked to the doctor and physios and they think that maybe all will be available next weekend, but they are not sure at this stage."

City are currently third in the Premier League after an excellent start to the season and travel to face strugglers Wigan Athletic on Saturday.

I see from today's Bangkok Post that

"Manchester City's billionaire Thai owner Thaksin Shinawatra will pay for his country's national team squad to train with his club to help their 2010 World Cup qualifying campaign.

Thaksin ...will bring the entire Thai squad to Manchester for 11 days next month and will foot the lion's share of the bill.

....Thai soccer president...Worawi Makudi told Reuters......"Manchester City are keen to help us, they signed some of our players and are happy to pay."

Generous gesture. You think England would benefit from training with Thai Army who, like Man City, are currently in the top 4 of the Premiership - in Thailand ?

'SOFA, SO GOOD SVEN'

THE search for Chant of the Season is officially over after Manchester City fans unveiled this classic, to the tune of Lord of the Dance, at Eastlands:

:D:D:D

chant of the year so far !!!!

'SOFA, SO GOOD SVEN'

:D:D:D

chant of the year so far !!!!

Class hey. How do they all get together for singing practise :bah:

From the MANCHESTER :o website:-

Sven surprised with spate of sackings

Having experienced the rapid ins and outs of football management in Portugal and Italy, Sven-Goran Eriksson has expressed his surprise at how English football is now following suit for disposing of its league managers.

With at least nine Barclays Premier League clubs changing chiefs at some point over recent months, Eriksson isn't surprised that managers change so quickly in football, but is surprised with the speed of changes in England this season.

He said: "I’m not surprised because I’ve been working in Italy and Portugal for many years and it’s very normal there, but I am surprised because it’s happening in England. What I always thought was that English fans and directors are more patient than the Latin part of the world but we are becoming Latin here as well.

"Not talking about any specific team, but you know when things are going badly it’s very difficult to sack the Chairman, very difficult to sack the players, so who is the third part? That’s the manager.

"I think football’s always been like that and you have to accept it in one way because if results aren’t coming, directors and fans want to see something changing for the better."

And with City facing a side with a new manager in charge for the next three Premier League games, Eriksson can see why clubs other than 'the big four' are doing so, adding: "If you see that the results aren’t coming and you risk dropping out of the Premier League, which is economically a disaster for any club, then a change normally happens.

"You have to have money and patience, so normally the big clubs keep their managers, even if things are so-and-so for a while."

As for Saturday's opponents, can he know what to expect with their new boss in charge?

"If you talk about Wigan, not a chance, I don’t have a clue how they will play. It’s Steve Bruce’s first game and what ideas he has at this moment who knows?

"If you talk about Tottenham, we have time to see how they are playing with a new coach and I saw them on television on Sunday, I think they played very well."

from the REAL MANCHESTER website :o:D

Loans reap rewards for Blues

After Ched Evans made his debut for Norwich City last night in their first away win of the season, Sven-Goran Eriksson has commented on the young prolific Welsh striker.

Evans moved to Norwich the day after his hat-trick for Wales Under 21s saw off France 4-2 at Ninian Park to link up with former Blue, Lee Croft.

And the 18-year-old came off the bench with the game locked at 1-1 at Bloomfield Road before the Canaries went on to beat Blackpool 3-1.

Sven said of the promising striker: “He’s strong, a goalscorer, very brave and a very good talent.

“I think it’s very good for him to go on loan and play in not just reserve games so we’ll see what happens with him.

“He’s at a good club and he has to work hard there and hopefully make the results better for Norwich.”

City currently have eight players out on loan at an array of clubs and a number of those players Sven sees as ones for the future.

As he outlined: “What I want to do with players like Ishmael Miller and Ched Evans is that we know they are big talents, but if they can play a lot of League football until the preparations start for next season, I can look at them during pre-season and make a decision to say; ‘Shall we keep them or shall well sell them or let them go on loan again?’ So that for me is an ideal situation.”

A snipet of what the papers have been saying over the last couple of days:-

Blues eye Croatian pair

Croatians are the flavour of the moment, rightly so, and the rumourmill says City are looking to bring in some more alongside Vedran Corluka.

Daily Mail

"Sven eyes Croatian pair Mandzukic and Simic"

Manchester City are considering January transfer window moves for Croatian team-mates Mario Mandzukic and Dario Simic (pictured) while Everton and Fulham rate Simic.

Mandzukic is a forward for Dinamo Zagreb while Simic is currently at AC Milan.

Meanwhile Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham are interested highly-rated Dinamo Zagreb midfielder Luka Modric, 22, who played a key role in Croatia's 3-2 win over England at Wembley.

Modric is valued at £15million.

Daily Star

Manchester City target Asamoah Gyan has been blocked from moving to England by his club Udinese. Sven Goran Eriksson was hoping to make a move for the striker in January but Udinese director general Pietro Leonardi insisted Gyan would not be allowed to leave the club before the end of the season.

The Sun

"Nolan Nic plea"

Kevin Nolan wants the Bolton board to resist selling £15million striker Nicolas Anelka. Both Manchester City and United are keen on a January deal. Skipper Nolan said: "We want him. But it's out of our hands."

From skysports:-

Sven ready to spend

Eriksson receives Thai backing as he looks to invest

Manchester City manager Sven-Goran Eriksson is ready to open Thaksin Shinawatra's cheque book after his Christmas wish-list was given the thumbs-up.

Eriksson has been backed to the hilt in the transfer market thus far in his Eastlands tenure and has rewarded Thaksin's generosity by taking City to third in the table.

City look more than capable of mounting a serious push for Europe this season and Eriksson is set to boost his playing staff in the January transfer window.

The former England boss has presented Thaksin with a list of targets and his Thai paymaster is eager to oblige.

"Dr Thaksin has a very long list, but I've told him it will be shorter and shorter," Eriksson told the club's website, mcfc.co.uk.

"He knows what we are thinking about and what we are talking about.

"He didn't seem to be too shocked - so that was good. He's been informed about everything we are thinking about maybe doing.

"It's both names and positions, Dr Thaksin has a combination of that.

"If we are taking in players, it will be those who can give something to this team."

Eriksson concedes that the process of bringing in new players is often time consuming and he has called for patience.

He added: "Everything should be ready on 31st December but there are a lot of negotiations.

"A lot of other clubs are interested in good players. I don't know how quickly it's going to be done, if it is going to be done.

"But the owner knows about whom the coaches are talking about today."

Blues eye Croatian pair

Croatians are the flavour of the moment, rightly so, and the rumourmill says City are looking to bring in some more alongside Vedran Corluka.

City's player of the month, and he deserves it!

Blues eye Croatian pair

I think i'd put a caveat on that Bred as in "most improved player of the month". Dunney has still been outstanding and apart from missing 1 game so has Micah.

Blues eye Croatian pair

I think i'd put a caveat on that Bred as in "most improved player of the month". Dunney has still been outstanding and apart from missing 1 game so has Micah.

Whoops, just been on City's web site and he is named player oif the month. Still stand by what i said earlier though.

From the website:-

Vedran Corluka has been named as the Thomas Cook Player of the Month for November.

The versatile Croatian has attracted widespread praise for some classy performances both at right-back and in central defence.

The award caps a fine month for 21-year-old, who has been an ever-present in the Premier League since arriving from Dinamo Zagreb in the summer, and he played for Croatia when they qualified for Euro 2008 by beating England at Wembley.

Right back Javan Vidal takes the prize for the reserve team player of the month, while the Academy award goes to another defender, Kieran Trippier.

From City's web site:-

Elano out of Wigan trip on Saturday

Sven-Goran Eriksson has revealed the Blues will travel to Wigan this weekend without influential midfield star, Elano.

The Brazilian international picked up a hamstring problem at the Carrington Training Centre this morning and the full extent of the injury is yet to be assessed.

During his pre-Wigan press conference this afternoon, Eriksson stated: “Elano is out unfortunately.

“He is taking a scan this afternoon and we don’t know how long he is out for, but he is out for this game. It is a hamstring problem.”

Despite the blow of being without one South American star, Elano’s injury could give a chance to another, with Geovanni poised to make his first Premier League start since the 1-0 derby win over Manchester United as Sven looks to fill the gap.

“That’s something we have to do of course,” he said. “It’s a possibility for Geovanni as well.

“We thought until today that Elano would be available, but we know now that he won’t be available this weekend, unfortunately. That’s a pity of course.

“We know very well what Elano means to us in the last third of the pitch. He and maybe Petrov are involved in most of the goals we are scoring, but that’s life, we have to show we can play good football and make results without Elano.”

From the BBC

Man City hint at Crouch interest

Manchester City could target Peter Crouch after Blues chairman Thaksin Shinawatra revealed manager Sven-Goran Eriksson was a fan of the striker.

Eriksson, who worked with the Liverpool star during his reign as England boss, is keen to sign a forward during the January transfer window.

"Sven does like Peter Crouch, very much. But he has yet to decide (if he will make an offer)," said Shinawatra.

But Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez said: "We do not want to sell Peter."

Crouch, who scored in Wednesday's 4-1 Champions League victory against Porto, has seen his first-team appearances at Liverpool severely limited this season.

However, the 6ft 7in striker insists he is staying at Anfield, despite being linked with other clubs.

"Playing in a Uefa Champions League match with an atmosphere like that it would be hard to leave and go somewhere without that," Crouch told Football Focus in an interview recorded before Shinawatra's comments.

"At Anfield on a European night, there's no bigger stage. Playing for Liverpool is something you dream of as a kid and I'm doing it now. We're challenging for things domestically and I'm playing with some fantastic players.

"I love being where I am and it would be a really sorry day to actually leave the club so I'll do everything in my power to stay where I am."

And those sentiments were echoed by Reds boss Benitez who added: "We want to enjoy and see Crouchie score a lot of goals.

"The players in a top side know sometimes they will not play every game but you can see how important Peter Crouch is for us.

"Always you know Peter in every training session is a very good professional."

Should Crouch leave Liverpool, he could command more than the £7m Reds boss Rafael Benitez paid for him more than two years ago.

However, Thaksin insists City will be not be held to ransom over any player.

"We are looking for good players that are good money, not too expensive. I am not in the position to buy everything at any cost," Thaksin added.

"Sven will pick the right person at the right price."

Pre match review

Wigan v Man City

JJB Stadium

Saturday, 1 December

Kick-off: 1500 GMT

Wigan striker Emile Heskey is pushing for a starting spot at the JJB Stadium.

Winger Antonio Valencia sat out the defeat at Arsenal because of a knee problem but is expected to return for Steve Bruce's first match in charge.

City midfielder Geovanni could return to the starting line-up with Elano out because of a hamstring injury.

Darius Vassell, Michael Johnson and Nedum Onuoha are all sidelined through injury but Vedran Corluka and Emile Mpenza have shaken off knocks.

Wigan boss Steve Bruce on Emile Heskey's return to full fitness:

"He's going to be paramount to us. I know how big an inspiration he can be to the team. I've worked with him before.

"People ridiculed me for paying all that money for him years ago but he is the best number nine of his type in the country.

"It's vitally important the big players stay fit. You can't replace him. He was nearly fit at Arsenal, he's worked very hard and will be raring to go."

Man City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson:

"Heskey's a very good football player, very strong and important for them up front. Before he got injured he was having a very good season and played very well for England as well.

"It's the worst moment to meet them, it's a new manager, we don't really know how they are going to play.

"And of course it's the first home game for the new manager and all the support they will have from the fans there."

BIG-MATCH FACTS

Steve Bruce makes his debut as Wigan manager aiming to end the longest losing Premier League run this season of eight matches and longest winless sequence of 11 games.

Victory for Manchester City would see them leapfrogging Manchester United into second place in the table, as the Red Devils do not play Fulham at Old Trafford until Monday.

This match pits the club with the second fewest Premier League wins (Wigan, two) against the one with the second most (City, nine); Wigan have scored as many goals at home as City have netted away (five in eight in both cases).

The Latics need three more points to total 100 in their Premier League history.

Wigan defend their 100% Premier League record over Manchester City. They have gained more Premier League victories against the Citizens than any other club (four), are the only club they have doubled in this league, and have scored more Premier League goals against City than any other (10).

I noticed Samras started today's game for City :o .

It looks like your right Jack , Sven to go shopping for a striker in January.

And maybe this is the man :D :

Manchester City ponder Peter Crouch bid

MANCHESTER City could be set to move for Peter Crouch after chairman Thaksin Shinawatra confirmed manager Sven Goran Eriksson was a big fan of the striker.

Eriksson was a champion of Crouch, 26, while England manager and it is no secret he is keen to recruit a forward during the January transfer window.

“Sven is looking for one striker and one or two midfielders,” Thaksin said.

“Sven does like Peter Crouch very much. But he has yet to decide (whether to make an offer).”

Crouch has been constantly linked with a move away from Liverpool this season after seeing his appearances severely limited.

Story continues arw_down.gif

ADVERTISEMENTempty.gif http://' target="_blank">

He could command more than the £7million the Reds paid for him two years ago but Thaksin insists City will not be held to ransom over any player.

He added: “We are looking for good players that are good money, not too expensive. I am not in the position to buy everything at any cost. Sven will pick the right person at the right price.”

Now the ONLY team with 100% home record, after Ipswich could only manage a draw :D

Bit disappointed today, boy do we need a striker!!

But they are getting results this year that we would not have got in the past :D

Yeah i was disappointed too, we had the perfect chance to go above United. Geovani played ok but is a bit lightweight. An out and out goal scorer is what we need now.

Yeah i don't know why Sven is playing him and he only brought Bianchi on for the last 10 mins

From the city web site:-

Sven satisfied to come away with a point

It was a below par Manchester City performance today, but afterwards a satisfied Sven-Goran Eriksson reflected on the 1-1 draw at the JJB Stadium.

He said: "It looked easy in the beginning but then Wigan came back and it’s ended up as a draw.

We got a very easy goal at the start. It was a bad mistake by the defender, but to be fair, we gave a goal away very easily as well. Two mistakes we can say.

"A draw is okay but I spoke to the players after the match and we all feel we should win games like this and we should maybe do a little bit better. Work’s going on to try to do better in the future, even away from home, because if you want to be fighting high up in the table I think you have to win games like this.

"If we could just take half a step more we would have more points. But it’s a new team and a young team and I am not disappointed. Maybe in the future we could be better.

"I said before today that it would be a very difficult game here because of their situation in the table. It was the new manager’s first match at home and in one way it’s not bad to take one point.

"We didn’t create many chances and neither did they."

A late talking point was the sending off of Wigan skipper Mario Melchiot and of the incident Eriksson added: "I saw it on the replay afterwards, so I don’t think they should protest too much about that."

Match report from sky sports:-

Sven praises Wigan spirit

City chief content to pick up draw from tough derby

Manchester City boss Sven Goran Eriksson was pleased enough with a draw, despite his side squandering a lead at Wigan.

The game marked Steve Bruce's first as Wigan boss for a second time and he could not have wished for a more miserable start.

There was a mere 30 seconds on the clock when a Titus Bramble defensive howler allowed Geovanni to give City the lead.

However, Eriksson's side failed to build on an early advantage and had to settle for a point after Paul Scharner levelled matters before half-time.

Eriksson, though, refused to criticise his side for not holding onto the lead and instead, paid tribute to Wigan's battling display.

"Wigan have a much better team than the table shows," he told Sky Sports News.

"And I think they did a very good match today. They are a very physically strong team and are fighting.

"We didn't win the game today and that is down to Wigan. There are two teams on the pitch, you know?"

"I think a draw is a fair result, they did very well

MANCHESTER City could be set to move for Peter Crouch after chairman Thaksin Shinawatra confirmed manager Sven Goran Eriksson was a big fan of the striker.

Eriksson was a champion of Crouch, 26, while England manager and it is no secret he is keen to recruit a forward during the January transfer window.

“Sven does like Peter Crouch very much. But he has yet to decide (whether to make an offer).”

Crouch has been constantly linked with a move away from Liverpool this season after seeing his appearances severely limited.

ADVERTISEMENTempty.gif <a href="http://" target="_blank"></a>

He could command more than the £7million the Reds paid for him two years ago but Thaksin insists City will not be held to ransom over any player.

He added: “We are looking for good players that are good money, not too expensive. I am not in the position to buy everything at any cost. Sven will pick the right person at the right price.”

I think this would be a good buy for City.

I have also read today that we are looking to buy Berbatov.

My question to fellow blues is who would you prefer?

Personally I would go for Crouch as I think Berbatov is a bit of a moody sh#te and is somewhat Anelka-like in his behaviour.

Bring on the Beanpole :D

Personally I would go for Crouch as I think Berbatov is a bit of a moody sh#te and is somewhat Anelka-like in his behaviour.

Personally for me it would have to be Berbatov, he's an out and out goal scorer and he'll be good mates with Petrov.

I have changed my mind about Crouch and he think he is a good player. I just don't want thim at City, it'll attract the long ball IMO

I noticed Samras started today's game for City :D .

ADVERTISEMENTempty.gif <a href="http://" target="_blank"></a>

I think this would be a good buy for City.

I have also read today that we are looking to buy Berbatov.

Bring on the Beanpole :D

I think Anelka maybee availabkle on the cheap after the "Miss of the season" yesterday against Liverpool :o