Manchester City

mrbojangles

[quote name=chavy' post='1637661' date='2007-11-07 06:24:18

I'm not too sure at the moment chavy. I hope not.

I read it thismorning on the net they said they wouldn't take it any further.

Ah good. Just found it on the BBC:-

FA lets Ireland off with warning

Manchester City's Stephen Ireland has been warned as to his future conduct by the Football Association for pulling down his shorts against Sunderland.

Ireland, 21, celebrated scoring in a 1-0 victory by revealing a pair of pants bearing the Superman logo.

The FA reminded the Irish midfielder of his responsibilities and warned him that he faces a substantial fine if he does anything similar again.

Ireland recently signed a new five-year contract to keep him at Eastlands.

Before the FA made its decision, Professional Footballers Association chief executive Gordon Taylor said it would be right not to take action against Ireland

"I think it is fair enough just to give him a warning," Taylor told BBC Radio 5 Live.

His first goal of the season at home to Sunderland lifted City up to third in the Premier League, two points behind Arsenal and Manchester United.

Ireland has already been involved in controversy this season, after he admitted lying about the reason for his withdrawal from the Republic of Ireland squad to face Czech Republic in September.

Ireland cited the death of a grandparent when in fact his girlfriend had suffered a miscarriage.

He also withdrew from the Republic squad to face Germany and Cyprus in October, saying he "would not do his country or himself justice".

And he has not been included in the Ireland squad for the Euro 2008 qualifier against Wales at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff on 17 November.

The Republic's caretaker manager Don Givens said: "I felt (Former boss) Steve Staunton and the Football Association of Ireland made a lot of effort to get him back and that it was time for a bit of effort to come the other way.

"It wasn't forthcoming so I didn't consider him.

"It is one for the future manager to decide, but going forward, maybe Stephen Ireland needs to sort out Stephen Ireland.

"If that happens then I'm sure whoever the next Ireland manager is will be delighted to have a player like him available because he's a talented boy.

"I've seen him many times and was at Monday's game, but he needs to sort himself out."

Taylor added: "The lad has had serious personal problems. I am sure the whole football world will take an understanding attitude to this.

"Football is about joy and celebrating goals, as long as you don't go over the top."

Ireland is a graduate of the City academy and made his debut in a 1-0 home defeat by Bolton on 18 September, 2005.

From the BBC:-

Surgery for Man City star Johnson

Manchester City midfielder Michael Johnson will be out for up to three weeks as he prepares to undergo surgery on a groin injury.

The England Under-21 international was forced out of City's 1-0 win over Sunderland at half-time on Monday.

"Michael cannot go on like this," said City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson. "He is only a young man but he cannot train the day after a match.

"He came to me at half-time and said he couldn't run any more."

The Swede said he was all but certain Johnson would have to have surgery.

Eriksson added: "We must decide whether to send him for an operation and, with the international break, now would be a good time.

"I am not sure how long he will be out but I don't think it will be any more than two or three weeks."

Nowdays this surgery business is routine & quick recovery time.

I read this morning that your man Mr T said he thinks Europe will be a reality this season ? Do you think Europe Mr BJ or with the big guns of the Champions league crew

I don't mean to be harsh with the lad but in a way i'm glad he'll be out for a few weeks. Even though he has made sevearl gaffs, Sven has kept him in the side. This could be a chance for someone else to step in and rearrange the formation a tad, as we have been a bit suspect.

I read this morning that your man Mr T said he thinks Europe will be a reality this season ? Do you think Europe Mr BJ or with the big guns of the Champions league crew

I wish chavy, i wish. But we are a new team and still trying to gel, i'm trying to keep my feet on the ground. First it's the 40 point mark, then we'll see where we are. Our squad isn't really that strong and a few more injuries especially over the xmas period could have a big effect.

MrBoj, I think realistically there is no reason why you shouldn't get a UEFA spot this season. You have had a good start, and maybe teams like Spurs and Newcastle, who were expected to be shoe ins haven't performed as well. You have plenty of distance between the Hotspoons, who to be fair are going to have to scrap like hel_l for the next month or so to get them out of the do-do, which they will.

That means it's going to be between teams like Everton, Portsmouth, Blackburn,Newcastle, Aston Villa and Man City for those spots, if you think that the usual four will suceed in filling the top 4 spots. IMO Villa have made little progress this season under O'Neill, and need to make some decent signings if they are to push on and get into Europe. Newcastle, well who knows? They are about as consistent as David Cameroons political policies. The other three, are tough teams to be beat, and ones that no one likes playing against because of their organisation. Oh well, looks like an interesting season.

Seriously, it's not unrealistic, and wih some luck and a couple of good sifnings in the window you should do it.

I totally agree with your post Toady. It's just that after so long with <deleted> all at city, we just have to keep our feet on the ground. We play Pompey on sunday and as you rightly point out above, they are hard side to beat. I'd settle for a point :o

From skysports:-

Miller wants City time

Ishmael Miller is heading back to Manchester City at the end of the season, his representative has confirmed.

Speaking to skysports.com, Derek Green has confirmed that Miller - currently setting the Championship ablaze with a string of formidable displays with West Brom, will be remaining at the City of Manchester Stadium.

The 20-year-old penned a new three-year deal in August after he impressed manager Sven Goran Eriksson - before he joined West Brom.

Since moving to The Hawthorns, Miller has made a huge impact with nine goals in 11 starts and is now one of the most feared forwards outside the Premier League.

Understandably Miller's form has caught the eye of a number of clubs with Bolton and a string of other top-flight clubs paying close attention.

However, Green has dismissed suggestions that Miller is ready to make a move.

"He is not going anywhere," he told skysports.com.

"He is doing well, but that is just what we expected and what City thought.

"The plan was always for him to go on loan and then return and I don't see how that has changed.

"Ishmael has proved himself and he wants to keep playing well up until the end of the season with West Brom, after that he will return to City."

Bolton were rumoured to be lining up a £2million bid for Miller - but Green was quick to quash that theory.

"In today's market how could somebody rate Ishmael at £2million, he has just signed a new deal at City and is arguably the best player in the Championship at the moment," he continued.

"Look at somebody like Kenwyne Jones, he goes for £6million - if you go by that ratio, then who knows what it would take to buy Ishmael.

"But as I said, Ishmael wants to go back to City - he wants the chance to work with Sven Goran Eriksson, which young player wouldn't?

"And that is how it stands at the moment."

From skysports:-

Shinawatra: We are a sleeping giant

Manchester City owner Thaksin Shinawatra is delighted with the start his side has had this season and is now setting his sights on Europe.

Shinawatra is still under pressure from authorities in Thailand who continue to pursue him for various fraud allegations.

But the incredible start to the season City have made seems to have somewhat lifted the pressure and Shinawatra now believes his side can go on to play in Europe for the first time - fair play competitions excepted - in almost 30 years.

Speaking to ESPN about his expectations for the club, Shinawatra said: "When I first started to discuss buying Manchester City we hoped to be in the top 10 but now I think we can get into the Uefa Cup.

"We are a sleeping giant. I am glad to be the one to wake that giant."

City, who are currently third in the table, will head to Portsmouth on Sunday in a bid to further build on the gap between themselves and one of their main rivals for a Uefa Cup spot.

And in their current vein of form, a win at Fratton Park is far from out of the question for the high-flying club.

Players such as Elano, Martin Petrov and Vedran Corluka have been impressive to say the least in their performances to date for City.

And boss Sven Goran Eriksson has been promised more cash in the January transfer window to further build on his already strong squad and to add to City's chances of qualifying for Europe.

Reflecting on the Blues achievements so far, Shinawatra said: "I thought we would bring success to this club but I did not expect it to be this quick.

"There is a blend of the old players and the new. They are playing so well together and there is a good team spirit.

"Everything is coming together quite quickly."

I don't mean to be harsh with the lad but in a way i'm glad he'll be out for a few weeks. Even though he has made sevearl gaffs, Sven has kept him in the side. This could be a chance for someone else to step in and rearrange the formation a tad, as we have been a bit suspect.

Lets not forget that Johnson isn't 20 yet, has made the position his own this past 6 months, and along with Hamann (and who would have thought it on his performances last season) are automatic first choices. I've been thinking hard about this one, but who do we have to replace either of them, particularly like for like - don't think we have. Ireland did ok inside in place of Johnson on Monday night, and he's probably ok there against the likes of Sunderland, and at home, but against better teams and away, i don't think so. Ball is ok for the last 10 minutes of a game. Now i'm struggling. If Micah was fit i'd would possibly go with him. Maybe Sun who played the holding role well before his knee problem a few seasons back. No, i think we will miss Johnson, he floats around the pitch well, attacks better than he defends, IS as footballer and holds his own with the possesion football we play these days. Have i overlooked anybody - and please don't say Dabo!

Lets not forget that Johnson isn't 20 yet, has made the position his own this past 6 months, and along with Hamann (and who would have thought it on his performances last season) are automatic first choices. I've been thinking hard about this one, but who do we have to replace either of them, particularly like for like - don't think we have. Ireland did ok inside in place of Johnson on Monday night, and he's probably ok there against the likes of Sunderland, and at home, but against better teams and away, i don't think so. Ball is ok for the last 10 minutes of a game. Now i'm struggling. If Micah was fit i'd would possibly go with him. Maybe Sun who played the holding role well before his knee problem a few seasons back. No, i think we will miss Johnson, he floats around the pitch well, attacks better than he defends, IS as footballer and holds his own with the possesion football we play these days. Have i overlooked anybody - and please don't say Dabo!

Thinking about it, and how Vass got stuck in on Monday night, i could see us playing Vass and Ireland, with Vass tucked in closer to give Ireland cover. Maybe.

Next game will be a tough one, don't think we ever do well at Portsmouth, and we don't seem to decent an away side. After the Chelsea game i do expect us to play with fewer attacking options and keep it tighter.

Oh and what about Corluka, looking to be quite a find isn't he.

Thinking about it, and how Vass got stuck in on Monday night, i could see us playing Vass and Ireland, with Vass tucked in closer to give Ireland cover. Maybe.

Next game will be a tough one, don't think we ever do well at Portsmouth, and we don't seem to decent an away side. After the Chelsea game i do expect us to play with fewer attacking options and keep it tighter.

yeah Bred, i accept he is only 20 but in the prem you can't afford slip up's and he's been doing quite a few. I really don't want to sound like i'm beating up on the lad cos i'm not, i like him. But i do feel he needs a bit more experience before we let him have the position for keeps.

Yes, Vass and Ireland may be a good combo but i'm also wondering where we could have a juggle to fit in Geovanni. He scored against West Ham and Man Utd and has not been in the team since. I think the lad has talent and we should put him out there, same goes for Bianchi. IMHO

Agree about Corluka. Getting better all the time.

Just found this article apparently it's in the Sun but i'll try and find out for sure.

MANCHESTER CITY have landed £20million worth of sponsorship in China and Thailand.

Manager Sven Goran Eriksson will travel to both countries next week to seal the deals.

Eriksson will be accompanied by City’s Chinese international Sun Jihai.

The Swede will also announce the opening of a Manchester City academy in Bangkok, where he will complete the signing of Thailand right-back Suree Sukha.

The club have denied that the trip is part of a PR campaign for club owner Thaksin Shinawatra.

The former Thai PM was overthrown in a bloodless military coup and is wanted for corruption.

The deals will further empower Eriksson in the transfer market.

He has already spent £38million of Shinawatra’s money but has said he needs to buy more to have any chance of challenging for a European spot.

City are currently third in the table after beating Sunderland on Monday

edit// full story http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport...ticle438431.ece

Edited by mrbojangles

yeah Bred, i accept he is only 20 but in the prem you can't afford slip up's and he's been doing quite a few. I really don't want to sound like i'm beating up on the lad cos i'm not, i like him. But i do feel he needs a bit more experience before we let him have the position for keeps.

Yes, Vass and Ireland may be a good combo but i'm also wondering where we could have a juggle to fit in Geovanni. He scored against West Ham and Man Utd and has not been in the team since. I think the lad has talent and we should put him out there, same goes for Bianchi. IMHO

Agree about Corluka. Getting better all the time.

Agreed that Johnson has a lot to learn - he has a tendancy to amble after his man when backtracking for a start. I still can't think of anybody in the club who can replace him. I expect when the Jan sales come along for Sven to be looking for the following in this order: central midfield, then a forward, then a leftsided centreback.

I agree that Geo is quality but the man doesn't let the ball do the work - i reckon currently he's a home game impact player. Bianchi is a mystery, he looked so good early in the season and know he looks heavey, slooooow and unconfident - Mpenza for his work rate alone has to be first choice (i expect to Samaras leave at Xmas if we find a replacement).

Player of the Season so far on what i've season: Dunne, Corluka, Hamann, Elano with the little man maybe getting the nod over the old man.

PS. What ever happended to Dabo and the italian foward who's name escapes me (the one with the cracking girlfriend)?

Corradi - that's who i was thinking of.

Have alook at the squad http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?pagegid=...amp;teamid=1096 - we are doing really well when you consider the lack of depth, been lucky with minimal injuries though.

The one who hasn't really featured yet this season is Fernadez.

While i'm on my soapbox i'd like to see Petrov either rested or taken off from time to time in games. On Monday Paul Walsh's comments were classic putdowns - it was though Petrov had his boots on the wrong feet he was that poor.

Also, i'm looking forward to the Bulgarian coming back after Xmas - he was being to look useful just before his injury against ManUre.

While i'm on my soapbox i'd like to see Petrov either rested or taken off from time to time in games. On Monday Paul Walsh's comments were classic putdowns - it was though Petrov had his boots on the wrong feet he was that poor.

I still think that Petrov was suffering from his toe injury as he was only just pronounced fit on monday night.

Also, i'm looking forward to the Bulgarian coming back after Xmas - he was being to look useful just before his injury against ManUre.

Bojinov. Aparently his recovery is doing really well. Hope so, he looked good even though we only had him for 2.1 games :o

Curious, is Suree now qualified for a work permit?

Other than that, the trip to BKK is purely PR, but hey which club isn't guilty of that. As long as Man City don't start signing Thai players on the basis of PR, which Suree clearly is, then they will do fine. Sorry, to sound sceptical, but at present there are no SEA players(including Suree) who are remotely capable of playing in the EPL.

Other than that, the trip to BKK is purely PR, but hey which club isn't guilty of that. As long as Man City don't start signing Thai players on the basis of PR, which Suree clearly is, then they will do fine. Sorry, to sound sceptical, but at present there are no SEA players(including Suree) who are remotely capable of playing in the EPL.

Listening to the chats on Football Focus they are always excusing the lack of ability of Asian players on their lack of stature but as my wife (Thai) pointed out yesterday...Willo flood, Stephen Ireland, SWP...all small in height and lightweight so its not stature but ability that counts.

Listening to the chats on Football Focus they are always excusing the lack of ability of Asian players on their lack of stature but as my wife (Thai) pointed out yesterday...Willo flood, Stephen Ireland, SWP...all small in height and lightweight so its not stature but ability that counts.

Not questioning about size, he's just not good enough IMO at this time. Maybe in 2 or 3 years, then thats a different story.

Not questioning about size, he's just not good enough IMO at this time. Maybe in 2 or 3 years, then thats a different story.

In the main, it's public relations all the way, Toady.

We are owned by a Thai, so he is obviously trying drum up supporters and business in Asia. See my post earlier about £20m sponsorship from China and Thailand. Now if one of these lads can benefit from playing with players in the best league in the world, it's a win win. Thai's will start to follow Man City with more sponsorship coming our way and the national team will benefit by having someone who is playing at the top level.

Undoubtedly, the China sponsorship is through Sun ji Hai. Remember a couple of years ago, City played Everton and because there was a Chinese player playing for each side, it gained the biggest ever viewing figures for a Premiership football match in China.

City have ALWAYS been slow in the PR side of the business (unlike our Red friends), hence not much money, hence no silverware etc. If we want to compete and maybe become one of the new big 5, we have to do these things and at the moment it looks like Frank is the man to do it.

Interesting from skysports:-

Sven to have money to spend

Adriano keen on January move to City

Thaksin Shinawatra will give Sven Goran Eriksson money to spend in January after Adriano claimed Manchester City are his 'first choice'.

City boss Eriksson is looking to sign a striker in the New Year and has most recently been linked with a bid for Tottenham Hotspur's Dimitar Berbatov.

Though owner Shinawatra did not divulge the club's targets, he confirmed he will provide Eriksson with funds to add to his squad when the transfer window reopens.

"We will invest in the team in the January window if we see the right player at the right price," Shinawatra told the News of the World.

"I know that Sven has some ideas and I will continue to give him the support he needs."

Internazionale misfit Adriano is rumoured to be among City's targets, with the Brazilian hoping to leave the Serie A champions in January.

Adriano also suggested he could move to the Premier League in exchange for Rolando Bianchi, who has struggled at City since his big-money move from Reggina in the summer.

"I have spoken to the club and I am moving on in January," Adriano is quoted in the News of the World.

"My first choice is Manchester City and Eriksson, and I know Inter like Bianchi."

And this, the rumour mill is rife :o

Tiago to have English options

Former Chelsea ace could be offered Prem return

Manchester City and West Ham could be ready to offer Portuguese international Tiago a route back to the Premier League - but it remains to be seen if he will be allowed to leave Juventus.

Former Chelsea ace Tiago moved to Turin in the summer as newly-promoted Juve beat a host of clubs to clinch his signature from Lyon.

However, the combative 26-year-old has failed to seal regular starting slot in Claudio Ranieri's midfield and he has started just twice in Serie A.

One of Tiago's former clubs Benfica are know to be keen on taking him back to Portugal - but he could very well be on his way back to England.

Portuguese sources claim West Ham are keen, whilst reports in Italy suggest City sent a scout to watch Tiago in action during their 3-0 win over Empoli - when he played the full 90 minutes.

However, it remains to be seen whether Juve will be willing to let Tiago go - after they paid 13 million euros (£9.1million) for him in June.

His agent Jorge Mendes is yet to comment on the speculation, but a spokesman for his company has insisted the Juve have not contacted them about a possible sale.

"We have not received any news from Juventus about the possible exit of Tiago. We believe they have the desire to keep him," a spokesman told skysports.com

Protsmouth Vs City match preview:-

Fifth plays third on Sunday as Portsmouth play host to Manchester City at Fratton Park, live on Sky Sports 1.

The game pits two of the form sides in the Premier League up against each other with Pompey unbeaten in their last seven league games, while City have won four of their last five encounters.

Portsmouth are without Papa Bouba Diop through suspension after he picked up his fifth booking of the season.

Pedro Mendes and Richard Hughes are battling it out to replace Diop in midfield.

Pompey boss Harry Redknapp has no fresh injury worries to contend with and is likely to stick with the side that won at Newcastle last weekend.

Hermann Hreidarsson and David Nugent are both hoping to be involved after recovering from knocks.

Manchester City are hoping Micah Richards will be fit for the trip to the South Coast after missing Monday's win over Sunderland with a knee problem.

Michael Johnson has been ruled out after undergoing groin surgery earlier this week.

Darius Vassell is pushing for a place in the starting XI after impressing as a substitute against Sunderland.

Joe Hart is likely to keep his place in goal ahead of Andreas Isaksson.

Well, a bit of a boring game really. Pompey are proving to be a difficult team to beat and before the game i'd have settled for a point. And aftyer the game, i think we where lucky to get the point. We were pretty negative and it looked like Sven went to get the point, as on the road we're not playing too well. So i suppose it was mission accomplished. :o

Back to third :D

I don't know what it is about Fratton park but most sides find it difficult to get anything there so City's point yesterday was about as good as it could get. I only managed to watch the last 20 mins but was a watchable 0 - 0 draw. Judging by the reaction of Joe Hart and one or two of the city players they were really pleased to come away with a point.

I don't know what it is about Fratton park but most sides find it difficult to get anything there so City's point yesterday was about as good as it could get.

Yeah buddy, they are proving to be a very tough side to beat. I think United drew there as well. You gotta give it to old Harry, he's getting them playing confidently.

Judging by the reaction of Joe Hart and one or two of the city players they were really pleased to come away with a point.

Yeah they where and with a corner count of about 8-1 to Pompey, i was too :o

I don't know what it is about Fratton park but most sides find it difficult to get anything there so City's point yesterday was about as good as it could get.

Yeah buddy, they are proving to be a very tough side to beat. I think United drew there as well. You gotta give it to old Harry, he's getting them playing confidently.

Judging by the reaction of Joe Hart and one or two of the city players they were really pleased to come away with a point.

Yeah they where and with a corner count of about 8-1 to Pompey, i was too :o

Fratton Park has got to be one of the most difficult places around over the past couple of seasons for getting 3 points. I know that United have come unstuck there a few times in the poast three years. Redknapp has built up a strong squad, which I would put in the same bracket as Blackburn, Everton, Man City bracket, in that they will push most teams all the way this season. I will not mention the Chelsea game, but I beleive that was just one of those days that happens to all teams at some point.

I will not mention the Chelsea game, but I beleive that was just one of those days that happens to all teams at some point.

What do you mean "you won't mention the Chelsea game". You just did :o

:D Couldn't resist.