Manchester City

mrbojangles

I've just found out that Kasper Schmeichel is out on loan to Cardiff :D .

Who is City's number one and was Sven right in letting him go ???? , I know the lad was a liability but thought a season of experience in the premiership would do him well as he has a lot of potential and I'm sure City need the back up ( or maybe a change !!! 6-0 :D ) for the rest of the year.

I heard you had Joe Hart in goal against chelsea , is he much better than Kasper :o ????.

Yeah scouse, Kasper has been to quite a few clubs on loan. It's good for him getting experience. Issakson SHOULD be our number choice but he got injured before the start of the season and Kasper and Hart have kept him out ever since. However, after Hart letting in 6 at the weekend i think Sven will put him in. At least i hope he does!!

Yeah scouse, Kasper has been to quite a few clubs on loan. It's good for him getting experience. Issakson SHOULD be our number choice but he got injured before the start of the season and Kasper and Hart have kept him out ever since. However, after Hart letting in 6 at the weekend i think Sven will put him in. At least i hope he does!!

Issakson is the number 1 for Sweden isn't he ????? , so surely with only Joe Hart as his competition he should be number 1 for City. Maybe being able to speak the same language as the manager isn't always a good thing :o .

I've just read that Man City have told Cardiff not to play Kasper in the Carling cup tie against Liverpool as they don't want him to be cup tied , looks like he may be back sooner rather than later.

I remember Kasper being out on loan at Bury for quite a while.

This morning I read Eriksson was going to pick Issakson anyway now he's fit. I think Eriksson's releived he's back because having two novice keepers is not so good.

Issakson is the number 1 for Sweden isn't he ????? , so surely with only Joe Hart as his competition he should be number 1 for City. Maybe being able to speak the same language as the manager isn't always a good thing :o .

I've just read that Man City have told Cardiff not to play Kasper in the Carling cup tie against Liverpool as they don't want him to be cup tied , looks like he may be back sooner rather than later.

The issue Sven had was. both issakson and hart was injured at the beginning of the season. So he had to play Kasper and he wasn't letting in goals, so stuck with him even when hart was fit. He then made a few errors and let hart back in, so was second choice. Issakson then became fit but hart was playing well, so kasper became third choice, hence short term loan and rightly so not being allowed to play in the cup. We'd stitch ourselves up if he did play and we got another injury. If Issakson does play tonight, it's his chance to show he is the best keeper, then it will be upto him to keep his place.

From city's we bite:-

Sven offers squad redemption

Sven-Goran Eriksson is giving many of his City squad the chance to redeem themselves when they take on Bolton on Wednesday.

The Blues boss has made several changes to the side for the previous two Carling Cup encounters, but in the wake of Saturday’s chastening 6-0 defeat at Stamford Bridge he has hinted that many of the side from that day will get the opportunity to make amends.

“We haven’t decided the team yet,” says Sven, “but I am tempted to give all those out there at Stamford Bridge the chance to take some revenge for themselves.

“It’s good we can get out on a pitch again so quickly, I don’t want to speak about Chelsea again to my players or anyone, we want to forget it as quick as possible.”

Returning to the recurring theme of goalkeepers, Sven admits to one change he will make on Wednesday.

“Isaksson will play,” he asserts, “but that was decided before we went to Chelsea, several weeks ago to be fair. He has to have the chance to show how good he is, so we will change there but it has absolutely nothing to do with Joe Hart’s performance.

“I still don’t know who our number one is. Andreas has been fit for quite a long time, he’s been playing very well for Sweden so he has a chance to show how he is.

“Football is strange. He might have played every game for us if he hadn’t got that injury, who knows? Kasper came in and did well, then we gave a chance to Joe, who also did well, but now it’s Andreas’ time.”

From city's web site:-

Garrido criticism unfair says boss

Sven-Goran Eriksson has leapt to the defence of City left back Javier Garrido.

The Spanish defender was singled out for criticism in some quarters following City’s 6-0 defeat at Stamford Bridge last Saturday, but Eriksson thinks the player should not have been the sole focus from a collectively poor effort.

“I’ll defend him until the end!” Sven says. “He’s an extremely good football player, and he’s also a fighter. He had a bad time on Saturday, especially in the second half, but he was in good company as there were 10 others who had a bad time as well.

“When you’re defending, if you don’t help each other out there then it’s easy for one player to be exposed. The criticism is unfair because defending is a collective work and we didn’t do that, but to point out one player is absolutely wrong – I could point out 10 others for that defeat.”

The 22-year-old, signed from Real Sociedad, has started every league fixture of the season and could feature at Bolton in the Carling Cup after Eriksson hinted he would pick a strong side in his Tuesday morning press conference.

He’s continues: “There’s no point singling out individuals, we had a bad performance at Chelsea - we all know it. We all know that every single person out there could have done better, because normally they do.

“Javi’s been fantastic so far, it’s his first year in the Premier League, he hasn’t played for Spain yet – but he will do, I’m quite sure of that. It’s like he’s been playing over here for 10 years.

And lastly from city's web site:-

Boss knows what to expect tonight

Manchester City are quickly back in action tonight as they bid to banish the nightmare of Stamford Bridge.

The Blues are making the short journey to the Reebok Stadium as they bid to make it into the last eight of the Carling Cup.

As everyone knows, success in this competition brings European football next season and when asked about going all the way the Manager stated: “To win it is a European ticket and that would be fantastic.

“There are still a number of teams left in the competition and we have a difficult game against Bolton. We will try our best to go as far as possible that’s for sure.

“I’m happy we are playing so soon after Saturday and I’m curious, like our fans to see how it goes, but I am confident.”

And despite two managerial changes in recent times for tonight’s hosts, Sven knows exactly what to expect from the Trotters.

He said: “Bolton are physically very strong and a direct team. We will feel their physical presence.

“They have good football players, I know Anelka won’t play, but they have Davies and Diouf to fill in and other good players too.

“I expect them to use Davies a lot and come in to win the second balls. I saw the game they played on Sunday and I think they were very unlucky not to win it.

“They played very well and Aston Villa scored a very strange goal so they were unlucky.

“It’ll be a very difficult game and very different with how the game was on Saturday.”

Richards injury worry for England :o

Manchester City defender Micah Richards could be a doubt for England's crucial Euro 2008 qualifier against Croatia after being stretchered off at Bolton.

The right-back twisted his knee in the 1-0 Carling Cup win and faces a scan.

City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson said: "Before Micah's scan on Thursday it's impossible to say if it's serious."

It is a headache for England boss Steve McLaren who will also be monitoring Gary Neville's return for Manchester United in a reserve game on Thursday.

Richards, who suffered an earlier knock during the match, was stretchered off in the 74th minute.

And Eriksson added: "I think he was hurt trying to turn. He says he'll be fine but let's wait and see what happens."

BBC Sport columnist Richards has been ever-present for City in the Premier League so far this season.

The battle for qualification for Euro 2008 from Group E is out of England's hands.

If Russia beat Israel and Andorra then both they and Croatia will take the two places on offer for the finals in Austria and Swizerland.

However, if Israel draw their home game with Russia, England will qualify if they beat Croatia in their final game.

Match report from the BBC:-

Bolton 0-1 Manchester City

Brazilian Elano's late penalty secured Manchester City a Carling Cup quarter-final berth to hand Gary Megson his first defeat as Bolton manager.

Bolton substitute Lubomir Michalik was adjudged to have handled, but the spot-kick was only given after referee Howard Webb consulting his assistant.

Michael Johnson should have put City ahead in the 39th minute, but he clipped his effort wide of the post.

After Elano scored, El-Hadji Diouf's free-kick came back off the bar.

Michalik was a first-half substitute for Bolton when he came on in the the 33rd minute when Joey O'Brien limped off.

City suffered a blow in the 74th minute when England defender Micah Richards was stretchered off with a leg injury after taking an earlier knock.

After Diouf hit the woodwork, City defender Michael Ball had to clear Gavin McCann's header off the line.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bolton boss Gary Megson on the penalty decision:

"You have got to be 100% certain if you are going to give a penalty at that stage of the game. I cannot see how he could even be 50% sure. It was not clear cut. It was a bit of a nonsensical decision in such an important game. But the players deserve great credit for keeping going."

Manchester City manager Sven-Goran Eriksson:

"The spirit was there again and we defended very well, even in the last 10 or 15 minutes when Bolton put a lot of players up. It was important to go through and reach the quarter-finals. I am happy. I thought it was a penalty. The player moved his arm but whether it was intentional I do not know."

I'll have a friendly bet with you mrbj. That West Ham will finish higher than Citeh.

I'll have some of that HH

Right you are then.

How about a pony (£25) to make it interesting ? :o

Hey HH,

Can I have a piece of the action?

Bottle of your favourite plonk?

City to finish above the ammers?

From the BBC Micah Richards column;-

"I can't remember a worse personal experience on a football pitch than Saturday's 6-0 defeat to Chelsea.

Even as a kid, I was never involved in a 6-0 and I hope it never happens again. It was horrible. It could even have been more than six.

I don't have any excuses. I was really fired up before the match but once it started I just couldn't seem to find my normal game and I got punished.

I sat down with my Dad on Sunday and watched the game again.

I was at fault for a couple of goals and it certainly wasn't one of my better performances but, to be honest, I probably have played worse than that - just not against such a good team.

Not much was said in the dressing room afterwards. All the lads were just really upset.

But the manager told us that the main thing we have to do is learn everything we can from it so it never happens again.

What did I learn? You can't give players like Didier Drogba and Frank Lampard time on the ball. You have to keep tight on them because, if not, they'll hurt you as Lampard did by setting up three goals and Drogba did with his clinical finishing.

People talk a lot about Drogba's strength and athleticism but he's got a good brain too. His movement is brilliant and obviously he knows where the goal is.

He's probably the hardest opponent I've come up against.

Some of you spotted that Frank and I had a bit of a disagreement during the game!

It's just football though. He may be my England team-mate but when you're on opposing teams and you both want to win, these things happen. You just have to be man enough to shake things off when it's all over.

I didn't manage to speak to Frank after the game because I was so gutted about the result, but I'm sure things will be fine next time I next see him.

People might think Saturday's performance was down to over-confidence from our point of view.

I believe we had a right to be confident going into the game. Our form had been good and we believed we could win - or at the least get a point.

But our manager described it as a "wake-up call" and I think that's probably fair.

We've been doing so well but that was a lesson that we're nowhere near the finished product and we have to keep working hard.

We've now played Arsenal, Manchester United and Chelsea in the league and if you asked me to predict who'll win the title, I'd say United. :o

I think Arsenal play the best football so I'd like to see them win it, but I just have a feeling it will be United. :D

As for City, I still think top six is a realistic target for us this season.

The manager said this week that he sees me as a future captain and, at the age of 19, it's a real honour to hear him even suggest that.

It would be a dream to be club captain one day but, right now, I know the most important thing for me is to concentrate on my game right and getting that right."

Edited by mrbojangles

If Thaksin has flown to Holland to arrange this deal to buy the Brazilian chap, does this mean some cash has been unfrozen ? or is he like the squirrel, stashing his nuts for a rainy day :D

No chav, he hasn't had any money released. He bought the club with different money :D and before the beginning of the season he gave Sven about £50mil but he didn't spend it all. Frank has also said that there will be more if he needs it.

He definateley has more than 14 suitcases of Baht at his disposal :o

Eriksson wants more substitutes

Sven-Goran Eriksson is calling for clubs to be allowed more options when it comes to using substitutes.

The Manchester City manager would prefer to have seven players on the bench, not five as currently allowed.

Eriksson is encountering a traditional problem in trying to keep all his players happy with summer signings Rolando Bianchi, Gelson Fernandes and Geovanni finding it hard to get games.

Former England boss Eriksson said: 'When you have say 23 players, who are working hard, it is bad when you have to omit them on match day.

'Everyone wants to be on the pitch but it would help if we could change the rules on substitutes.

'If we could have seven players on the bench, it would be much better.'

Croatia defender Vedran Corluka is one newcomer who has settled in quickly after moving from Dinamo Zagreb.

A versatile international, he is due to switch to the centre tonight against Roy Keane's Sunderland in the expected absence of Micah Richards with a knee problem.

Corluka, 21, is relishing the challenge of facing a team set up by former Manchester United star Keane.

He said: 'I used to watch Keane play on television in Croatia. He was an excellent player and is now a good coach.'

City are aiming for their seventh straight home league win and despite the heavy defeat by Chelsea, Eriksson has raised the club's profile.

The Swede has adjusted quickly to life in the north-west after leaving his London base.

He said: 'I am fine in Manchester. It is a very positive city and I like it here.

'It is easier to live here than in London. If you have two or three meetings there the day is gone because of the traffic. That was frustrating for me.'

Bulgaria winger Martin Petrov could return after missing the Carling Cup victory against Bolton because of a toe injury.

Eriksson, however, remains guarded about whether Sweden's Andreas Isaksson will retain his place between the posts and keep out Joe Hart.

'They are both good goalkeepers who deserve to play,' said the City boss. 'I have not made my mind up.

'While Joe did not play at Bolton it had nothing to do with the Chelsea result. We had decided before that game to change goalkeepers for the cup game.'

Pre match, from the BBC:-

Man City v Sunderland

Eastlands

Monday, 5 November

Kick-off: 2000 GMT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Micah Richards is set to miss out for Manchester City because of a bruised knee but should return the following Sunday at Portsmouth.

Winger Martin Petrov is available again after a toe injury.

Sunderland will be without suspended duo Paul McShane and Greg Halford for Monday night's trip to Eastlands.

Kenwyne Jones has recovered from a calf problem, but fellow forwards Dwight Yorke (calf) and Roy O'Donovan (ankle) are rated at 50-50 for the clash.

Man City: Isaksson, Hart, Corluka, Onuoha, Sun, Dunne, Garrido, Logan, Ball, Ireland, Johnson, Dabo, Hamann, Geovanni, Fernandes, Petrov, Elano, Samaras, Bianchi, Mpenza, Vassell.

Sunderland (from): Gordon, Ward, Kay, Nosworthy, Higginbotham, Collins, Harte, Etuhu, Yorke, Leadbitter, Miller, Wallace, Kavanagh, Jones, Chopra, Murphy, Stokes, Connolly, O'Donovan.

Man City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson:

"We have some good strikers and it would be wrong of me now to say what we need in January.

"Darius (Vassell) scored five goals in training today. It is good they want to stay here and fight.

"He is now injury-free and still has the qualities he showed for England - that pace and technique. Darius is a very useful player for us."

Sunderland boss Roy Keane on the January transfer window:

"We're narrowing it down to a few players we feel would improve the team.

"And we feel we can get them. We could all sit here and pick out players we'd love to have, but realistically you are not going to get certain players.

"And we don't a panic situation where we buy players for the sake of it."

BIG-MATCH FACTS

The Monday match sees Manchester City chasing a seventh straight home win in the Premier League, and Sunderland searching for a first away.

Should City be victorious they would break their club record of successive league wins from the start of a season.

City are vying to beat Sunderland for the fifth time on the bounce in this league, and are defending a 100% home Premier League record against them.

Well another good result for City at home, I have just ead that City have a 100% home record.

Woe is me...Arsenal on Monday and City away the following Saturday :D

I cannot se us repeating our 2-0 win there last year. Especially as we have los 5 away in a row

Leroy Litta has not scored yet all year ..let alone get 2 that he got there last year.

So thats no points I am expecting in the next ten days :o

BUT...the only point we have got on the road this season was in Manchester and historically we have a good record playing City away, but times have changed now ...and good luck to you, its been a long wait for any kind of success for you guys....enjoy :D

Well another good result for City at home, I have just ead that City have a 100% home record.

Yeah TP, i think we are the only prem team to have won all home games. :D

...and good luck to you, its been a long wait for any kind of success for you guys....enjoy :D

Cheers buddy. And your'e lads will come good when it matters :o

1-0 or 10-0 it doesn't matter MrBJ, 3 points last night & now only 2 away from the gooners. :D

Absolutely buddy. To be honest we played <deleted> but whereas last season we wouldn't have got anything, this season is looking different :D

Good teams win even when they play like sh#te , as you lot did last night :D .

Sweetly taken goal from the boy Ireland , that lad is going places :D .

I've just been watching sportscenter and the interview after the game with Taxsin :o .He has changed his hopes from a top 10 finish at the beggining of the season to an UEFA cup spot , and he still needs english lessons :bah: .

Sweetly taken goal from the boy Ireland , that lad is going places :D .

Yeah, i think he's going to the FA headquarters, His goal celebration included dropping his shorts and showing his Superman pants :D The FA won't see the funny side :D

I've just been watching sportscenter and the interview after the game with Taxsin :o .He has changed his hopes from a top 10 finish at the beggining of the season to an UEFA cup spot , and he still needs english lessons :bah: .

I'm happy to have him let his money do the talking :D

[quote name='chavy' post='1637661' date='2007-11-07 06:24:18

I'm not too sure at the moment chavy. I hope not.

I read it thismorning on the net they said they wouldn't take it any further.

That would make a refreshing change the, as they are normally a bunch of killjoys. Problem being next, that the Plod will probably want to do him for indecent exposure. :o