Manchester City

mrbojangles

9 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Sane's 2nd goal went from a Bravo save to a goal in 3 passes..brilliant goal. When Sane gets a sniff of goal I expect a goal everytime.

Listen if you ain't putting in youngsters in the carabao then those are wasted resources. I see a sancho on the horizon.

• Like 1

I've got City down for 4 goals today and to top the league. Perhaps that is the season finished for the others after this w/e. I want to see Diaz play with, and against, the big boys.

2-2 WHU v Spurs
1-3 Stoke v Chelsea
4-0 Man Cty v C Palace
1-2 Leicester v L'pool
1-2 Burnley v Hudders
1-1 Saints v Man Utd
1-0 Swans v Watford
4-1 Toffees v B'mouth
4-1 Arsenal v WBA
1-1 B'ton v Geordies

Absolutely no shocks this week.

Biggest game for me on Saturday; Shrewsbury v Blackburn

Edited by owl sees all

5 hours ago, jellydog said:

Here's a pretty even handed analysis of City and Girona:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41348471

I read the article yesterday and agree with Pep's assertion that there is a gulf to fill between same age football and first team football. It is a sad indictment of the English game that City feel the need to use a foreign league to fill the gap.

The old Central and Football Combination leagues used to provide reserve team football that wasn't age based. Young players got the chance to play with and against seasoned pros and youngsters got the opportunity to develop and toughen up, or fall by the wayside. They develop a bond with the club which can get diluted with repeated loan moves.

Modern pitch technology would enable most reserve teams to play at the main stadium instead of at non or lower league grounds. Knowing that you could play a blinder for the reserves and get in the first team next week; in front of a full house; would incentivise players.

I would also like to see the number of subs reduced in first team matches from 7 to 4 - a goalie and 3 outfield players. This would increase the versatility of your average footballer and give more opportunity for players to actully play; albeit in reserve games.

When England won the World Cup 10 of the team had come through their clubs system including the reserve team. Ray Wilson was the exception.

England are falling behind their international rivals and need to act decisively and quickly to put things right.

13 minutes ago, champers said:

England are falling behind their international rivals and need to act decisively and quickly to put things right.

England fell behind their rivals 50 years ago and have no chance of catching up. The FA down the years is responsible for this. I do not agree with the FA on football development. All the under 17, 19, 21s etc. should be merely stepping stones to the England top team. To sort of misquote a famous politician; development, development, development!! I see none in the English footy set up any more now than in the last 50 or so years.

• Like 1

Just now, Bredbury Blue said:

"I've got City down for 4 goals today"

As a City fan I'm not as optimistic. Teams that come and park the bus tend to do better than teams that come out and leave us something to attack. I haven't seen Palace this season so not sure what to expect.

I've not backed city all season so I'm riding down OSA avenue on this one and looking for 4+ too. 

4 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I've got City down for 4 goals today and to top the league. Perhaps that is the season finished for the others after this w/e. I want to see Diaz play with, and against, the big boys.

2-2 WHU v Spurs
1-3 Stoke v Chelsea
4-0 Man Cty v C Palace
1-2 Leicester v L'pool
1-2 Burnley v Hudders
1-1 Saints v Man Utd
1-0 Swans v Watford
4-1 Toffees v B'mouth
4-1 Arsenal v WBA
1-1 B'ton v Geordies

Absolutely no shocks this week.

Biggest game for me on Saturday; Shrewsbury v Blackburn

A upon busters could be there I reckon. Liverpool and Everton aren't nailed on IMO

2 hours ago, champers said:

I read the article yesterday and agree with Pep's assertion that there is a gulf to fill between same age football and first team football. It is a sad indictment of the English game that City feel the need to use a foreign league to fill the gap.

The old Central and Football Combination leagues used to provide reserve team football that wasn't age based. Young players got the chance to play with and against seasoned pros and youngsters got the opportunity to develop and toughen up, or fall by the wayside. They develop a bond with the club which can get diluted with repeated loan moves.

Modern pitch technology would enable most reserve teams to play at the main stadium instead of at non or lower league grounds. Knowing that you could play a blinder for the reserves and get in the first team next week; in front of a full house; would incentivise players.

I would also like to see the number of subs reduced in first team matches from 7 to 4 - a goalie and 3 outfield players. This would increase the versatility of your average footballer and give more opportunity for players to actully play; albeit in reserve games.

When England won the World Cup 10 of the team had come through their clubs system including the reserve team. Ray Wilson was the exception.

Some good points there Champers. Never thought of reducing the subs bench before.

16 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

A upon busters could be there I reckon. Liverpool and Everton aren't nailed on IMO

I am going with Everton to have a good game at long last. I agree that they are no certs (although a 4-1 prediction would make it seem so) but if they don't cut loose then I fancy a 1-1 or even 0-0.

Liverpool; well I had them to lose in the week and to win today. Maybe not 1-2; 0-1 perhaps, 

Interesting posts on here about the England National team. Hope we get more than the usual couple of posters over this. In my time I've been quite outspoken (in print) about the FA and its abysmal record. Same problem now than at any time since the 1950s. 

Edited by owl sees all

City today equalled a remarkable record set by Blackburn Rovers in the 1958-59 season. Having notched 5 goals versus Liverpool two weeks ago, 6 at Watford last weekend, and then 5 more today, the Citizens became the first English side since Blackburn Rovers in the 1958-59 campaign to score 5 or more goals in three consecutive English top-flight matches in the same season. 

Just now, Bredbury Blue said:

Well that was a game of two halves wasn't it. Poor in the first half, they had chances but lovely silva to sane goal. Must have been a hell of a halftime Pep talk as we were on fire again 2nd half and 5v0 flatters Palace.

Your favourite player Raheem GBP banged 2 more in then. Nice that. 

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

City today equalled a remarkable record set by Blackburn Rovers in the 1958-59 season. Having notched 5 goals versus Liverpool two weeks ago, 6 at Watford last weekend, and then 5 more today, the Citizens became the first English side since Blackburn Rovers in the 1958-59 campaign to score 5 or more goals in three consecutive English top-flight matches in the same season. 

Hope we make it 4 :smile:

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Well that was a game of two halves wasn't it. Poor in the first half, they had chances but lovely silva to sane goal. Must have been a hell of a halftime Pep talk as we were on fire again 2nd half and 5v0 flatters Palace.

First half I thought it was going to be one of the games when the ball never goes in. As you say, we were on fire second half and played some lovely stuff.

Clean sheet as well. Not bad up to now for a supposedly dodgey defence

10 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Not been properly tested yet. I have all the time in the world matey. :smile:

I'm not saying that we will never let a goal in Ronnie but you guys where all saying we have a dodgey defence. We are without our rock (Vinny) and are coping quite well I think. You let 2 goals in against relegation fodder today so maybe look at your defence first

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

I'm not saying that we will never let a goal in Ronnie but you guys where all saying we have a dodgey defence. We are without our rock (Vinny) and are coping quite well I think. You let 2 goals in against relegation fodder today so maybe look at your defence first

Top game that today....a proper derby and down to 10 men for the last half hour or so....kudos to Aurier for getting sent off against the pikeys....shame he didn't break a leg or two on the way. :smile:

We've had a far tougher test this season so far than your team so wait and see!

7 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

First half I thought it was going to be one of the games when the ball never goes in. As you say, we were on fire second half and played some lovely stuff.

Clean sheet as well. Not bad up to now for a supposedly dodgey defence

Palace haven't scored a goal all season and your talking about not conceding against them, couldn't make this sh*t up :biggrin: