Manchester City

mrbojangles

5 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

:laugh:

Video refs are already in the trial stage Champers. Too late to stop it evolving to other leagues and comps now. :thumbsup:

La Liga will have it next season, but apparently no goal line technology ?

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

The game can evolve! I would use the 'sin bin' for cheating and professional fouls. The retrospective method of punishment - as it is at present - is not fair.

Vincent took him out and should have been punished for the deliberate foul.

I'm all for evolution where needed OSA and I agree that retrospective punishment favours the teams that follow. However, in this instance, Vinny got what he deserved which was a yellow. It was actually a clean game with only 1 yellow each. Leicester also got one, should they have also had one sent to the sin bin?

Arsenal had 4 yellows yesterday and Spurs only 1. Should Arsenal have only played with 10 men for 50 minutes?

12 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Seems to working well in the Bundesliga this season jelly. Few hiccups initially, as to be expected but looking positive with minimal stoppage time.

Yeah MrB, though I still have my reservations about it. Seems it hasn't been welcomed as much in Italy. There have been some fairly long stoppages of play in Italy. No question but that it will right some wrongs, though I'm also sure that there will still be controversies about ref decisions even with VAR. Still early.

1 hour ago, jellydog said:

Seems it hasn't been welcomed as much in Italy. There have been some fairly long stoppages of play in Italy. 

That's just the Italians for you jelly. They like to take a break whenever possible. Think it's called a riposo or pisolino. Surprised they don't break out the Olives during any stoppages :smile:

2 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

:laugh:

Video refs are already in the trial stage Champers. Too late to stop it evolving to other leagues and comps now. :thumbsup:

Two German players giving it stick the other week. Khedira was one in Italy; I forget who the other was, played in Germany. Long delays disrupting the flow of the game was the issue; not that the players have any say how the game is run.

I bet Northern Ireland wish they could have used it in their home leg v Switzerland.

3 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

I'm all for evolution where needed OSA and I agree that retrospective punishment favours the teams that follow. However, in this instance, Vinny got what he deserved which was a yellow. It was actually a clean game with only 1 yellow each. Leicester also got one, should they have also had one sent to the sin bin?

It was a really good game with plenty of chances. Yes, clean too. BUT Vincent's foul 'could' have been a deciding factor. Vardy was past and Vincent took him out. Another day, another game or a different period in the same game and it could so easily have not been just a yellow. Yellow was not enough for me and according to the last-man rule not a certain red. 20 minutes in the sin bin; just about right.

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Yellow was not enough for me and according to the last-man rule not a certain red.

If the ref believed he was the last man and Vardy had a clear goal scoring opportunity, Vinny would have got a red. A different ref, on a different day, at a different time in the match may have given a red. This ref didn't and so the game was played 11 V 11 and we won quite convincingly. I doubt even Leicester fans are blaming Vinny not being given a red for their defeat.

6 hours ago, jellydog said:

There have been some fairly long stoppages of play in Italy. No question but that it will right some wrongs, though I'm also sure that there will still be controversies about ref decisions even with VAR. Still early.

Just watched Leeds V Boro.

About 7 minutes stoppage over an incident in the box. Players complaining and ref consulting with the linesman. Result:- Penalty to Boro.

7 minutes stoppage and the wrong decision reached. VAR would have got the right decision, in a fraction of the time.

11 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Just watched Leeds V Boro.

About 7 minutes stoppage over an incident in the box. Players complaining and ref consulting with the linesman. Result:- Penalty to Boro.

7 minutes stoppage and the wrong decision reached. VAR would have got the right decision, in a fraction of the time.

Have you got shares in the company?

Had a cracking night watching with the wife in Phattys (aussie) bar in Saigon; City on one tv and the poor aussies losing to England on t'other.

Loving watching Ederson. I always expect him to save it, he reads the game so well, is quick and brave of his line, can't be many better footballing goalies around, always seems cool; all good so far.

In the summer I would have been more than happy to let go Delph and now he's so important to use. He's been excellent in every game at LB. Why weren't we giving him a run out instead of Kolorov and Clichy.

(P.s. I thought vinny was very lucky to get away with no red).

Wasn't the best we have seen of City this season but with 7 changes from the weekend game against Leicester and from the  "regular" starting 11, I suppose that is to be expected. Pep wanted to put out a team to win the game but to also rest some of the regulars. Job done in that respect.

Really nice to see 2 teenagers getting their Champions League debuts, Foden and Diaz. Foden is a huge City fan which is also great to see. It's also nice to see another clean sheet, even without Kompany, Stones and Mendy

If we beat Shakhtar, I think that will be the first time an English team has got maximum points in the group stage. However, Shakhtar need at least a point from that game to progress themselves, so it'll be a tough one.

17 wins on the bounce now  :post-4641-1156694572:

Can't say last night was enjoyable. Feyenoord made a game of it though we dominated. But I just couldn't see us scoring..it just wasn't clicking and too many players were average. Think it shows what happens when you change a team to much.

When are our managers going to learn that playing sterling left side seriously limits him (as did Sane on the right side).

Of our preseason signings I was buzzing about bernardo but he's beginning to annoy me; he slows it down too much and isn't direct enough. Run forward.. check back..pass it backwards. .repeat.

Danilo proved last night why midfielder Delph is playing LB and not him.
Apart from one almost blip (he recovered it well) thought Ederson was excellent again. .the save when he came out at the player and his sweeping is great; we can see now why Pep moved on Hart.

Most games this season it's been hard to pick a MoM but last night difficult as nobody was decent.

Saturday and last night show how much we miss Stones. Him being out and us having to play Mangala is the possible hiccup the chasers have been waiting for.

When are some of our youth players going to come through?

12 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Is it Alfie's birthday? :post-4641-1156694572:

I think he's away on holiday!!    Answer;  they go to Dortmund and get hammered by the Spurs U23 lads.  A young lad named Oliver Skipp was playing that night, he turned seventeen this september you you will see a lot more from him in the near future. Probably in about two years time, forming a commanding pairing with Harry Winks.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Ronnie, you should know by now that I enjoy throwing a bone for Alfie to chase. Get my fun from simple things.

Understand,  but i can't see the gain for you on this particular subject. You're just feeding him ammunition to rip you to shreds :smile:

Sounds quite masochistic 

Edited by carmine

Just now, Bredbury Blue said:

Mahrez. A very decent player. Will he improve us though? Think we have enough who can play where he plays.

What's your thoughts on Can connection?

Yh I reckon they are diverting interest from another target with this mahrez story. Smart.

All I know is what I've read and the negotiations broke down due to LFC refusing a fee activation clause in his contract. Seems a bit silly given he's only 23. He has been around a good while though and remain consistently inconsistent IMO. Should at least be getting a fee for the lad so if he does wind his contract down, bad move

This confirm's what i say to BB and other's when they go on about how well their academy teams are doing : 

Clubs and supporters take great pride in the results of their youth teams, citing their trophy hauls as evidence of their club's wisdom and far-sightedness. But Ramsey believes that emphasis is misplaced. He mentions with pride one youth tournament in which Spurs performed well but finished seventh. Barcelona, who operate with similar emphasis, finished eighth.

" Chris Ramsey points at the cracked screen of his touch-pad where two pyramids represent the priorities of the first team and the development team. The first team's pyramid is pointed side down. At the bottom, the least important aspect of the first team is the individual. In the middle is the team performance and at the top, the widest segment of all, is the result. The development pyramid is inverted. Here the result is the least important aspect, then the team performance and then, broadest of all, is the individual. And on this notion rests the crux of Ramsey's philosophy.

Edited by alfieconn
  • Like 1

With so many teams fighting for the top positions there is virtually a top game every week and the pick this week is the Anfield v West London clash.

With the game kicking off early there is no time to dilly-dally. So let's get right to it and try for 10 out of 10 with a few perfects.

1-2 WHU v Leicester 
I just can't see further than a Leicester win in this early-bird game

2-0 Palace v Stoke Cty
I reckon this will be the start of the the table climb for Palace.

2-0 Man Utd v Brighton
Man U should smash the seaguls back to the south coast and into the Atlantic; but stange things happen. Good to see Pogba back.

1-3 Newcastle v Watford
The hornets have a nice blend of youth and talent.

1-2 Swans v Bournemouth
Bournemouth to just edge this one.

4-0 Superspurs v WBA
On paper this should be one of the bankers of the season; given form and circumstance. Just how many will Superspurs score?

1-1 Liverpool v Chelsea
Both teams wil fancy their chances in this one. Could go either way. I'm on the fence.

1-1 Saints v Toffeemen
Two out-of-form teams. First thought a goal less match but I'm an optomist with Everton.

1-2 Burnley v Arsenal
Burnley are right up there and it wouldn'y be too big a shock if they won but I'm going for a close Gunners win.

0-3 Huddersfield v Man City
The bookies have Man City as big favourite for the EPL title. I agree with them on that. I can't see them stumbling in this one. Could be more than 3 to City but a three keeps up their average.

Biggest game for me outside the EPL; Fulham v Millwall. A feisty encounter with plenty of yellows. Fulham will be buoyed by their win in the mid-week 9 goal thriller at Blade's house and with Millwall finding a bit of form it will be an interesting encounter.  

2 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Owl sees all

I like you forecast posts. Why don't you open a 'Premier forecast' topic and post them up there every week?

Excellent idea.

I like that he gives his thoughts on each game too.

I might join in so you can all have a laugh.

Edited by RonniePickering22
None of your bloody business!
  • Like 2

Bit sad to read this as he was rated highly as a very decent prospect by City.

Manchester City prospect Sinan Bytyqi has been forced to retire with a heart condition at the age of 22.The midfielder's loan spell at Go Ahead Eagles was cut short last season after just four Eredivisie appearances, with the health issue revealed and Bytyqi forced to return to England.He then made the decision to retire from the game, before City offered him the opportunity to become a loan scout."I can't change yesterday but I can change tomorrow," he told The Daily Mail. "I go home and cry or I move on."Maybe two out of 10 clubs would keep you. I have to thank [City] for giving me a chance."For me, the best job in the world is getting paid to play football and the second best is getting paid to watch it. I am very lucky."Bytyqi had been called into the Kosovo squad for World Cup qualifying prior to his retirement, but never made his international debut.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinan_Bytyqi

Edited by Bredbury Blue

Yeah it's a shame that BB. Fortunately, nowadays the medical tests these players go through, these problems are found out earlier rather than later.

I believe Carrick at Man U also had an heart problem which was found early and is fortunately now sorted out.

Legend of Man U, King Cantona:-

Eric Cantona:- MANCHESTER UNITED should have appointed Pep Guardiola over Jose Mourinho.

Cantona insists he would rather the Spaniard was sat in the dugout at United.

“I love Mourinho as a manager and I said it before he arrived in Manchester, he is very intelligent, clever, he takes all the pressure on himself,” he told BBC 5 Live.

He has a lot of charisma, has won a lot of things and will win a lot of things. “But, the football I played, and (Sir Alex) Ferguson played, Matt Busby before, it was very creative.

“But today, in football, I loved (Johan) Cruyff when he was manager at Barcelona, I loved Ajax in the 70s, I grew up with this kind of football and the football we played with Ferguson was very creative and more Manchester United.

"It’s why I prefer the way Guardiola plays and I would prefer to have him as manager of Manchester United.”

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/662555/Jose-Mourinho-Pep-Guardiola-Eric-Cantona-reveals-Man-Utd-preference