Manchester City

mrbojangles

Back to our best last night. Five changes but we didn't look like we'd only played 2 days ago. 39 seconds to score the fastest goal of the Premier League season so far certainly helped. Silva ran the show - Sane is a completely different player with the Silva service (boom tish!). Gutsy performance from Kdb. Delph, Fernandinho and Otamendi all caught my eye. Stones understandably a little rusty. Wasn't too impressed with our right side (Sterling and Walker). Ederson did everything required of him.

Expect a very different side vs Burnley and Bristol City.

On 1/1/2018 at 9:42 AM, mrbojangles said:

We all said Palace was gonna be difficult and so it came to be. Shame we couldn't get the record but deeper concerns are the injuries.

KdB, Jesus, Stones, Delph, Kompany, Mendy, Silva (absent). That is quite a list from mainly players who would be in the starting line up. We really need some back, pronto.

Shock horror !! looks like there was no need to panic after all :biggrin:

53 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I said we really need some back pronto and they did. No panic here alfie

Jesus out for 4-6 weeks i heard and apparently Walker limped off.  Possible hamstring worry playing too much football.

2 minutes ago, carmine said:

Jesus out for 4-6 weeks i heard and apparently Walker limped off.  Possible hamstring worry playing too much football.

I reckon Danilo will switch over to RB if needed and Delph at LB.

2 minutes ago, jellydog said:

I reckon Danilo will switch over to RB if needed and Delph at LB.

Yes that sounds logical.  And as far as the striker injury, you have the luxury of a world class replacement, although he is somewhat injury prone isn't he!

14 minutes ago, carmine said:

Yes that sounds logical.  And as far as the striker injury, you have the luxury of a world class replacement, although he is somewhat injury prone isn't he!

Yeah, that's always a concern with Aguero. If he were to go down I imagine Pep would come up with some sort of false 9 arrangement. Wouldn't be the first time as that was commonplace under Pep at Barca.

1 minute ago, jellydog said:

Yeah, that's always a concern with Aguero. If he were to go down I imagine Pep would come up with some sort of false 9 arrangement. Wouldn't be the first time as that was commonplace under Pep at Barca.

I think you are right.  He must have a plan in place because it looks like City are going to be playing an awful lot of games whilst chasing four trophies.

David silva published a note on Wednesday revealing that he had taken time away from the game because his wife had given birth to an extremely premature baby boy, who doctors are doing everything possible to keep in good health. “I want to thank all of you for the love and good wishes received in the last few weeks,” it said. “Special thanks to my teammates, the manager and all at the club for understanding my situation. “Also I want to share with you the birth of my son Mateo, who was born extremely preterm and is fighting day by day with the help of the medical team."

Manchester City tops football financial firepower list

Premier League leaders Manchester City have more financial firepower than any other club in world football, according to a new ranking.Event organiser Soccerex, which compiled the list, says the club has the biggest economic growth potential.UK clubs dominate the top ten spots with Arsenal ranked second, Tottenham Hotspur fifth, Manchester United seventh and Chelsea in ninth position.The list is based on five factors including potential owner investment...

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42557684

16 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

David silva published a note on Wednesday revealing that he had taken time away from the game because his wife had given birth to an extremely premature baby boy, who doctors are doing everything possible to keep in good health. “I want to thank all of you for the love and good wishes received in the last few weeks,” it said. “Special thanks to my teammates, the manager and all at the club for understanding my situation. “Also I want to share with you the birth of my son Mateo, who was born extremely preterm and is fighting day by day with the help of the medical team."

The birth and health of your child is far, far more important than football. I'm glad he has opened up about it as it stops rumours and hopefully the press won't hound him.

Here's wishing Mateo all the very best and hopefully the doctors succeed in keeping him in good health

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Mourinho vs Everton
Herrara, Pogba & Matic (2 defensive midfielders and a box to box midfielder).

Pep vs Watford
KdB, Fernandinho & Silva (2 creative midfielders and a box to box midfielder).

Says it all about their different footballing approaches.

Fernandinho didn't play as a box to box midfielder, your knowledge of even your own teams players is astonishing !

• Haha 1

I found a stream no problem on sportek. The wife at home hasn't been able to find one.

HT 0v1

City poor. Getting no where through Burnley defence.

Burnley defending really well.

Stones spoons a ball. Burnley blast past "1 shot 1 goal" Bravo.

Don't think we've had a chance yet.

Umm!

Game of 2 halves as they say.

How many times this season have we seen City poor and struggling to break a team down 1st half and come out 2nd half play really well and take the other team apart.

City gave Aguero man of match...he wasn't for me though..that would have been Silva or Fernandinho or Gundogan.

9 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Some good goals for you to watch then JD over your cornflakes.

We certainly stepped up a gear in the second half and where much more sharp. We laboured the passing in the first half  but the quick 1-2's in the second half where too much for Burnley.

Well taken free kick from Gundogan to Aguero for the first. Caught Burnley napping. Gundogan back heel to Aguero for the second was lovely. D Silva to Sane had a lovely weight for the 3rd and KdB's pass to Sane before Sane passed to B Silva was pure vision for the fourth.

Bristol City 1st leg Tuesday night then Red Scousers at the weekend. Be interesting team selection Tuesday. Expect he'll play squad players and kids as he did vs Leicester in the quarters when he played
Bravo, Danilo, Tosin Adarabioyo, Mangala, Zinchenko, Foden, Gundogan, Yaya Toure, Bernardo Silva, Gabriel Jesus, Brahim. SUBS - Ederson, Walker, Delph, Sane, Nmecha, Duhaney, Dele-Bashiru.

Something like:
Defence Bravo, Danilo, Tosin Adarabioyo, Mangala, Zinchenko again.
Midfield of Gundogan, Yaya Toure, Bernardo Silva.
Its the forward line which is difficult to guess. Think Brahim Diaz will start. Would he be brave enough to start with Nmecha (can't see Aguero being risked)? Will he start with one from Sane and Sterling?

We struggled through on pens against Championship leaders Wolves and Leicester but being 2 legs he can gamble on the 1st leg.

Its on Sky and I'm pretty sure Mcot ch 9 or 14.

Video Assistant Referee (VAR) technology will be used in both legs of the Carabao Cup semi-final between Chelsea and Arsenal.It will also be used in the final next month but not in the semi between Manchester City and Bristol City.

VAR can be used in four "match-changing" situations - goals, penalty/no penalty decisions, straight red cards and cases of mistaken identity by the referee.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jan/07/video-assistant-referees-errors-mike-riley

4 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Video Assistant Referee (VAR) technology will be used in both legs of the Carabao Cup semi-final between Chelsea and Arsenal.It will also be used in the final next month but not in the semi between Manchester City and Bristol City.

VAR can be used in four "match-changing" situations - goals, penalty/no penalty decisions, straight red cards and cases of mistaken identity by the referee.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jan/07/video-assistant-referees-errors-mike-riley

It would have been handy for Arsenal last night. That 2 touch penalty would have been ruled out

4 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Seems a bit of a strange decision that only one Carabao Cup semi will use VAR. Sod's law that it will be needed in the game without VAR, i.e. our game

I thought I heard it was being used first in the FA Cup Brighton v Palace fixture