Manchester City

mrbojangles

Watching the replay right now. Nice to see Vinnie as always and fingers continue crossed. Having Fernandinho back always a positive. Spanish Dave looks like he fancies the back and forth from Spain. Tons of energy.

But the big question must be, has Fernandinho grown, or is in the process of growing, a mustache ?:wai:

3 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Ken Mulhearn, a member of Manchester City's 1968 title-winning squad, has died, aged 72. The Liverpool-born goalkeeper was signed from Stockport County – where he is a legend – as cover for first-team keeper Harry Dowd.

RIP.

fanlv.jpeg

images.jpeg

RIP Ken. 72 is quite young these days. Is that Stan Bowles on Harry Dowd's left?

5 minutes ago, champers said:

RIP Ken. 72 is quite young these days. Is that Stan Bowles on Harry Dowd's left?

Alan Oakes; holds record appearances for City. He played 776 Football League matches – the seventh most in history during 1959 to 1976. Big part of the memories of my youth. 

Stan was at City around that period.

Les CHAPMAN, the former Manchester City *backroom boy, is recovering from a heart attack.

Cheerful ‘Chappy’, 69, was a popular face at City for years, working on the staff for many bosses, until he left this year.

He is expected to make a full recovery.

*kitman for 17 years / 749 appearances in the Football League in a career that spanned 22 seasons, playing for Oldham Athletic, Huddersfield Town, Stockport County, Bradford City, Rochdale, Stockport County and Preston North End,[1]and also spent a season in the North American Soccer League with the San Jose Earthquakes.[2] As a manager, he took charge of Stockport County and Preston North End. 

2 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Alan Oakes; holds record appearances for City. He played 776 Football League matches – the seventh most in history during 1959 to 1976. Big part of the memories of my youth. 

Stan was at City around that period.

Sorry, BB. See next to Harry Dowd in  the full squad pic. That's Stan, and on his left is Arthur Mann who went on to play LB for Notts County.

I recognise everyone else bar the 2 players sat on the far left of the bottom row, next to Colin Bell.

My era too. 2 years later when I was at school I played against Dave Bennett. Under 12s.

Edited by champers
  • Like 1

^A lot of those players have sadly passed but I saw Tommy Booth interviewed after the Stoke game on Monday and he doesn't look his 68 years at all...maybe due to being the slowest City player of all time he ages slower ;-)

Edited by Bredbury Blue

Bell and Lee definitely.

Tony Book probably as good as any fullback since his days and a great skipper so most likely.

Summerbee, Oakes (I always think of him and Gareth Barry as similar), Doyle, Pardoe and Young probably.

The 2 goalies, no, but different game for goalies these days.

(All viewed through rose tinted glasses).

Interesting thing about that team compared to this team - and I know times have changed - but you can't imagine any of the current squad getting feisty but the 68 team had Summerbee, Coleman, Doyle and especially Franny Lee who were all up for a rumble...ask Norman Hunter ( https://youtu.be/V8kxMnc5KUs )

Franny Lee was the first English player, I can remember, to include diving in his repertoire.

Now-a-days it is called other stuff; simulation, gamesmanship etc.

Colin Bell was one of the fittest footballers I've ever seen play

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

"This season's Champions League quarter-finalists are: Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Juventus, Liverpool, Manchester City, Real Madrid, Roma and Sevilla."

I'd like Roma or Sevilla. I reckon we'll get Barcelona, Bayern or Real; monies on it being Bayern. Hope it's not Liverpool for both our sakes as I'm sure like us they'd want a foreign trip. We've played all the teams in recent seasons.

23 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Les CHAPMAN, the former Manchester City *backroom boy, is recovering from a heart attack.

Cheerful ‘Chappy’, 69, was a popular face at City for years, working on the staff for many bosses, until he left this year.

He is expected to make a full recovery.

*kitman for 17 years / 749 appearances in the Football League in a career that spanned 22 seasons, playing for Oldham Athletic, Huddersfield Town, Stockport County, Bradford City, Rochdale, Stockport County and Preston North End,[1]and also spent a season in the North American Soccer League with the San Jose Earthquakes.[2] As a manager, he took charge of Stockport County and Preston North End. 

Frank Worthington's best mate. Be a cracking night out with them 2 back in the day.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Don't know which days we'll be playing but it will be either be a few days before the United derby or a few days after.

Your derby is  smack in the middle of both ties ?

Edited by BangrakBob

12 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I'd have preferred ANY other club. Now only 1 English club can progress

Some years that would be a positive but this season both Pool and City are just outstanding. Real shame!!

33 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

Your derby is  smack in the middle of both ties ?

And HOPEFULLY it will be the match that gets us the PL title. Wonder what Pep will do. I think he will sacrifice the derby match to put out his best 11 against your lot I would think