Manchester City

mrbojangles

5 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Just for clarity. 

Pellegrini only honour in europe was the intertoto cup. That's like winning the Leyland daf cup or the Ryman league.

Just for clarity your mate Pochettino doesn't  even have a intertoto cup or any cup or even any trophy.

Just for a bit more clarity on Pellegrini:

"Pellegrini moved to Europe in 2004 to take the manager's post at Villarreal, a club near Valencia. Under Pellegrini, Villarreal achieved a third-place finish in La Liga in 2004–05, a Champions League semi-final in 2005–06and broke the big two in 2008 by securing a second-place finish in La Liga in 2007–08.

Pellegrini's consistent record at Villarrealattracted the attention of Real Madrid and he was appointed manager there in 2009. He amassed a total of 96 points, a club record until it was surpassed by José Mourinho in the 2011–12 season, but lost the title to Barcelona by three points. He was dismissed after one season and later lamented the Galácticos policy employed at Real which prevented him from building a balanced team.

Pellegrini took up the manager's role at Málaga in November 2010. He led Málaga to a fourth-place finish in his first full season and to qualification for the UEFA Champions League. He made it to the quarter-finals of the 2012–13 Champions League, becoming the only coach to take two different teams to the Champions League quarter-finals in their debut seasons in the competition. On 22 May 2013, Pellegrini confirmed he would leave Málaga at the end of the 2012–13 La Ligaseason. On 14 June 2013, he was appointed manager of Manchester City,[3] and won the Football League Cup and Premier League in his first season as manager, in the process becoming the first manager from outside Europe to manage a team to the English Premier League title. The title winning season was also noted for goal scoring prowess with Manchester City scoring 151 goals in all competitions – an English football record."

Just now, Bredbury Blue said:

Just for clarity your mate Pochettino doesn't  even have a intertoto cup or any cup or even any trophy.

Just for a bit more clarity on Pellegrini:

"Pellegrini moved to Europe in 2004 to take the manager's post at Villarreal, a club near Valencia. Under Pellegrini, Villarreal achieved a third-place finish in La Liga in 2004–05, a Champions League semi-final in 2005–06and broke the big two in 2008 by securing a second-place finish in La Liga in 2007–08.

Pellegrini's consistent record at Villarrealattracted the attention of Real Madrid and he was appointed manager there in 2009. He amassed a total of 96 points, a club record until it was surpassed by José Mourinho in the 2011–12 season, but lost the title to Barcelona by three points. He was dismissed after one season and later lamented the Galácticos policy employed at Real which prevented him from building a balanced team.

Pellegrini took up the manager's role at Málaga in November 2010. He led Málaga to a fourth-place finish in his first full season and to qualification for the UEFA Champions League. He made it to the quarter-finals of the 2012–13 Champions League, becoming the only coach to take two different teams to the Champions League quarter-finals in their debut seasons in the competition. On 22 May 2013, Pellegrini confirmed he would leave Málaga at the end of the 2012–13 La Ligaseason. On 14 June 2013, he was appointed manager of Manchester City,[3] and won the Football League Cup and Premier League in his first season as manager, in the process becoming the first manager from outside Europe to manage a team to the English Premier League title. The title winning season was also noted for goal scoring prowess with Manchester City scoring 151 goals in all competitions – an English football record."

So aside from the interWTF cup. Pellegrini demonstrated a consistent track record. His Latin compadre Poch sounds very similar and yet he's got the consistency nailed at a much younger age.

^ But you are conveniently overlooking a big portion of pellegrini's career in South America which helped established his reputation [moving tge goal posts again] where:

...before moving in 1993 to become coach of Universidad Católica,and took the team to victory in the prestigious Copa Interamericana in 1994 and the 1995 Copa Chile...

...before he was bought by Liga Deportiva Universitaria de Quito. He managed the Ecuadorian club to a national title in 1999...

...joined Argentine club San Lorenzo de Almagro in 2001, to manage the Buenos Aires team, and led them to their first international title in the Copa Mercosur...

...led San Lorenzo to victory in the Argentine Clausura and the Copa Mercosur, South America's UEFA Cup equivalent...

...managed Argentine club River Plate from 2002 to 2003 and secured the Clausura championships in 2003

But Pochettino still has won ZILCH however you want to argue this.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

Just now, Bredbury Blue said:

10 years since we were bought by sheikh Mansour (bless you sir) and what a wonderful 10 years it's been.

Some great articles in the media today including  this one which on the whole  gets it right:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/sep/01/manchester-city-all-signings-10-years-abu-dhabi-united-group

I especially like the part where they mention they have given 10 year olds something to be proud about. Hilarious.

7 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

So that's pre-season over. After the International break it's time to step up a gear

On another note. I'm concerned about Sane. Not even on the bench

Rumors of "attitude" issues ? Not applying himself enough in training ? No need for his pace on the left now that Mendy is burning down that flank ? Who knows, but here's hoping it all gets worked out. That lad has shown what he is capable of bringing.

20 minutes ago, jellydog said:

No need for his pace on the left now that Mendy is burning down that flank ? 

Funnily enough. The set up last night was a bit weird. Mendy wasn't burning down the flanks and was sitting deeper as Sterling was in front of him but yet he didn't cover much at the back and was nowhere to be seen for their goal. I didn't like it TBH and it did change once our so called "bench warmer" was subbed for Silva

10 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Funnily enough. The set up last night was a bit weird. Mendy wasn't burning down the flanks and was sitting deeper as Sterling was in front of him but yet he didn't cover much at the back and was nowhere to be seen for their goal. I didn't like it TBH and it did change once our so called "bench warmer" was subbed for Silva

True that. Mendy is an attacking menace down that left side but not very disciplined defensively. OTOH if he's going to get as far up the pitch as he does, he's going to get caught out at times. Having oodles of pace won't help every time.

Still a number of things for Pep to work out.

What do you make of Otamendi not having a second on the pitch yet ? That one puzzles me. It appears he has lost his spot to Laporte.

41 minutes ago, jellydog said:

Rumors of "attitude" issues ? Not applying himself enough in training ? No need for his pace on the left now that Mendy is burning down that flank ? Who knows, but here's hoping it all gets worked out. That lad has shown what he is capable of bringing.

Guardiola said something to the effect of he picked what he sees every day so although not crtitising him personally it’s a reminder to him that he maybe is not doing enough or his attitude is not 100%. 

Can only comment on what we see, which is on the pitch, but Sane in america preseason and during the Premier games this season has been very poor. Last week vs wolves he seemed incapable  of controlling the ball (had a cameo run beating 5 players on the plus side). He's  probably  a wee bit arrogant  and he's  definitely  a confidence  player so I'm  with Pep in taking him out of the fire till he gets himself sorted.

Mahrez reminds me of Bernardo start of last season. Completely off the pace, couldn't read the play of team mates, slowed it down all the time, looked a one trick pony. He's  now settled and is quite a player - he and the other Silva have started this season the best. So hopefully Mahrez can get it together cause  currently he doesn't  deserve a game based on what I've  seen. He looks overawed.

30 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

I think Sane is gutted I mean it's shocking he was not selected for the WC after his exploits last season and to top it off Germany have their worst WC for God knows how long. Maybe that is why he had been poor this far.

Good point.

The EPL has players from all over the world nowdays. They are difficult to manage at the best of times. Gone are the days when a managerial chat to the whole team means the same to all the players.

The better managers can get inside the player's heads. Oh the metophoric tool kit! Carrot, whip, cuddle (kiss even at Liverpool), a challenge, flying teacup etc. Plus the agents lurking in the background. Monster egoes to deal with too.

12 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Good point.

The EPL has players from all over the world nowdays. They are difficult to manage at the best of times. Gone are the days when a managerial chat to the whole team means the same to all the players.

The better managers can get inside the player's heads. Oh the metophoric tool kit! Carrot, whip, cuddle (kiss even at Liverpool), a challenge, flying teacup etc. Plus the agents lurking in the background. Monster egoes to deal with too.

This bloke has the right idea.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Shocking what Spurs are being allowed to get away with on disrupting fixtures. If we get through the next round of the Carabao, we will probably have the next round 2 days after the Spurs fixture. We don't even know what state Wembley will be in after having an American Rugby game played on it the day before.

Above all, I think the clocks also go back an hour that weekend so I'll have to stay up an hour later on a school night. Inconsiderate gits

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

Shocking what Spurs are being allowed to get away with on disrupting fixtures. If we get through the next round of the Carabao, we will probably have the next round 2 days after the Spurs fixture. We don't even know what state Wembley will be in after having an American Rugby game played on it the day before.

Above all, I think the clocks also go back an hour that weekend so I'll have to stay up an hour later on a school night. Inconsiderate gits

More Citeh whining.

If you had swapped the fixture there would be no problem.

Som nom naaaa!

2 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

More Citeh whining.

If you had swapped the fixture there would be no problem.

Som nom naaaa!

Complaining within our rights. 

If we had swapped the fixture, there would have been a problem. Why should we have to have 4 away games on the bounce because of your clubs incompetence? By all means your fans can be put out as it's your issue but when other clubs have to suffer there should be something done about it.

Som nom naaa for you. But a nice fixture on a sunday is good for us expats (and travelling fans), as opposed to a late night Monday kick off. 

16 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Complaining within our rights. 

If we had swapped the fixture, there would have been a problem. Why should we have to have 4 away games on the bounce because of your clubs incompetence? By all means your fans can be put out as it's your issue but when other clubs have to suffer there should be something done about it.

Som nom naaa for you. But a nice fixture on a sunday is good for us expats (and travelling fans), as opposed to a late night Monday kick off. 

An unavoidable delay to our stadium build mrboj....its not as if we wanted this either.

We all just have to suck it up unfortunately....but I'll be there screaming abuse at your team and getting home after midnight if its any consolation.

5 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

An unavoidable delay to our stadium build mrboj....its not as if we wanted this either.

We all just have to suck it up unfortunately....but I'll be there screaming abuse at your team and getting home after midnight if its any consolation.

I don't think for one minute that anyone wanted it but was it really unavoidable? Bad project management? Corners cut? Too ambitious a project to do in just over  a year? Maybe we'll find out one day.

The point is that there are rules and we (other clubs) shouldn't have to suck anything up

2 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I don't think for one minute that anyone wanted it but was it really unavoidable? Bad project management? Corners cut? Too ambitious a project to do in just over  a year? Maybe we'll find out one day.

The point is that there are rules and we (other clubs) shouldn't have to suck anything up

Its an extraordinary situation....all our CL games are now at Wembley so I am expecting this to continue until the end of November.

No doubt its a shambles regarding the contractor...its not entirely in the hands of the club as I'm sure you know in any case.

The games must be played and at compromise for everyone.

42 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Look at it from a positive angle , you would have four home games on the bounce later during the season .