Suspected member of 'Nigerian Scam' arrested with 1.8 million Baht

webfact

We need more enterprising tourists like this ones that can pay their way not like the cheap Charlie's we normally here about trying to fleece a few baht at the bar for a beer go for the ones with millions of Baht in hard cash Welcome one and all to Thailand.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Suspected Member of 'Nigerian Scam' Arrested With 1.8 Million Baht"

Shouldn't that have the word "Thai" after suspected?

You know, just to ensure clarity, make it clear that the only arrested member of this scam is a Thai woman claiming Nigerians are responsible?

...because Thais do not commit scam and drug crimes...only Nigerians do....cheesy.gif

Who knows what was her share of the deal that she's paying off B1.8m? Maybe a lioness' share...Lol

When will tourist money hungry Thai authorities learn there is no legitimate reason for any Nigerian to be in Thailand. Every time a Nigerian name makes the news it is accompanied by a photo of him/her in handcuffs.

Nigerians only travel to countries that are easy to scam or those, UK-US-Canada, that have huge " Freebie" programs for the " I'm to old/weak/sick

to work crowd.

• Like 1

"...Kessanee confessed to working with of group of Malaysia-based Nigerian men,

who posed as Westerners and approached single Thai women on dating websites with the intention of scamming them for cash." wai2.gifwai.gif

​What was that story the other day about cracking down on the nasty foreigners defrauding poor Thai ladies on dating web-sites? blink.png

reportedly nigerians are not even the main culprits in thai drug dealing but Guinea Bissau.

Most Africans will tell you they are from Nigeria. I have seen them. Only when it comes officially that you would know (like in showing passports). If they are caught without passports, they are all Nigerians. Go and investigate this in right places.

Goodness me, the authorities can't even say that a "THAI WOMEN" arrested with cash from scam.

That is exactly how it is, no Nigerians have been arrested as far as I can see. This is xenophobia on steroids and very bad for Thai publicity yet again.

Besides your observation, I ran an background search on a black guy that had worried my gf. He claimed to be a Nigerian, but he is not. He's from other smaller country around the Chad area of W/Africa. They all get their visas from Thai Embassy in Nigeria. Here, many people will appreciate the name easier than naming some other countries they're not conversant with...so if he commits crime...he's a Nigerian. But it's still difficult to understand.

You know, just to ensure clarity, make it clear that the only arrested member of this scam is a Thai woman claiming Nigerians are responsible?

Yes, it wouldn't be right to slur the upstanding Nigerian community.

lord have mercy,

the conveniently left out the name of the Thai dating site

Many of the online dating sites have an issue with scammers registering. I use http://soulfuly.com and they actively run each registration through a number of security checks but even then it's not 100%. It's about time members started using their common sense and reporting anyone asking for money or anything that looks suspicious as only together can the sites and members help reduce the scams.

First thing I would do if a cop seek an court order and freeze all her bank accounts. Then order the bank to submit accounts names and numbers of every account that transferred to her. After would get all accounts she transferred money to and freeze them all till I could sort out this case.

• Like 1

The wife has several hopeful friends looking on dating sites for farang husbands [ i set such a good example!]... Anyway, I must spend an hour or 2 a week vetting emails that have been sent to these women. I don't mind helping..I know the women involved, and they are good people. Some of the scam artists are pretty good. I've composed a few replies to some of these guys, that have brought a smile to the girls. We've reported 20 assumed scam artists so far. Maybe lot of Thai women on these sites are dishonest, but as a bloke, I was surprised how many scams are aimed at the women here.

• Like 1

Nigerians cant come here for legal work?

Dont see many Nigerian restaurants or anything related to Nigerian tourist operators.

I'm sorry but I've never seen a legit one in Thailand.

Sent from my LG-D858

Of course they can come here for legitimate work, the same as any foreigner can.

They get a job here with a school/company/the Nigerian embassy.

Yes I know there are criminal elements from Nigeria here but unlike you I don't assume that because they are Nigerian they are a criminal.

You might want to note that no Nigerians have been named or caught or proved to be involved in this crime.

Just a Thai women claiming they are.

Are you Nigerian?

(Of course the 47 bank accounts won't reveal anything....)

Yes, it wouldn't be right to slur the upstanding Nigerian community.

No it wouldn't because that would be bigotry, stereotyping and crass thinking.

Nigerians cant come here for legal work?

Dont see many Nigerian restaurants or anything related to Nigerian tourist operators.

I'm sorry but I've never seen a legit one in Thailand.

Sent from my LG-D858

Of course they can come here for legitimate work, the same as any foreigner can.

They get a job here with a school/company/the Nigerian embassy.

Yes I know there are criminal elements from Nigeria here but unlike you I don't assume that because they are Nigerian they are a criminal.

You might want to note that no Nigerians have been named or caught or proved to be involved in this crime.

Just a Thai women claiming they are.

Are you Nigerian?

(Of course the 47 bank accounts won't reveal anything....)

I've seen some idiotic comments on this thread today, a few racially prejudiced ones and a lot of narrow minded stereotypical BS ones.

I despise the bigotry that lies behind them.

My nationality, colour or creed is irrelevant.

OK?

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

"The victim transferred the money to Kessanee's bank account. But after that, James stopped communicating with the victim"

Isn't that the old scam of: "Pay me now and I'll be back with the stuff in 15 minutes."? I thought that one went out in the early 70s . I suppose there's a whole new generation of suckers, and it's worldwide.

and they said stupid Farang are easy to part with their money, Farang do it out of lust, Thai do it out of stupidity, AND GREED, 5555555555555555555555555

The wife has several hopeful friends looking on dating sites for farang husbands [ i set such a good example!]... Anyway, I must spend an hour or 2 a week vetting emails that have been sent to these women. I don't mind helping..I know the women involved, and they are good people. Some of the scam artists are pretty good. I've composed a few replies to some of these guys, that have brought a smile to the girls. We've reported 20 assumed scam artists so far. Maybe lot of Thai women on these sites are dishonest, but as a bloke, I was surprised how many scams are aimed at the women here.

YES AND ABOUT TIME TOO

What does it say on the tee shirt on the man on the right?

"If it fails good, do it." Great slogan for the Thai police force.

Thanks for that clarification. Do you have any idea what it means?

Well, I would suppose it is the Thai rendition of that old saying "If it feels good, do it" which generally means "Do whatever feels good to you", or having no moral compunction against depraved behavior.

Since it is a Thai law enforcement officer and it say "If it fails good, do it" I would conclude this is how they modeled their murder investigate at Koh Tao. In other words, whatever incompetent methods seem appropriate, go with it.

Or maybe I'm just a cynic.

Maybe the punctuation should be: "If it fails, good, do it"?

Bluespunk. I have a lifetime of dealing with Nigerian fraudsters in my former life. Mate, they are all at it -TAAI. Trust me 100 % they are attempting fraudulent transactions wherever they can get away with it. Ask any British Police Force. The tangled web they weave in the British Benefits system is incredulous. You are wrong to give them credulity.

When will tourist money hungry Thai authorities learn there is no legitimate reason for any Nigerian to be in Thailand. Every time a Nigerian name makes the news it is accompanied by a photo of him/her in handcuffs.

Nigerians only travel to countries that are easy to scam or those, UK-US-Canada, that have huge " Freebie" programs for the " I'm to old/weak/sick

to work crowd.

I have met a few Nigerians in SF, they were hard working people,

I don't know about the rest of the country, I imagine NYC has plenty and maybe they do take advantage of the system, but so does every other american, regardless of color, and I know more people that are white that are milking the unemployment system while working in their own businesses, so why not give an entire race of people a break

What I want to see is a Nigerian in handcuffs and bullet proof vest, pointing in one direction, while the Thai police correct him, and tell him to point in the other direction

there is no worse scam, than the Thai police from what everyone says starting with the Thai's themselves

lord have mercy,

the conveniently left out the name of the Thai dating site

Many of the online dating sites have an issue with scammers registering. I use http://soulfuly.com and they actively run each registration through a number of security checks but even then it's not 100%. It's about time members started using their common sense and reporting anyone asking for money or anything that looks suspicious as only together can the sites and members help reduce the scams.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/scary-ways-online-dating-wrong/story?id=26316682