The Thai smile a thing of wonder.

buhi

I am a very good actor, but cannot immitate a Thai smile.

My son asked if he could go with neighbours tonight. He had been with them most of the day, swimming. I said I was not sure, ask mother. Now I stress the neighbour is a female teacher and we have lived here since my son was born.

My wife said no, with the most amazing smile!

OP, just keep saying "cheese" to yourself when you meet another Thai.

You can't go wrong.

Just out of curiosity, is the teacher fit?

Just came out of a love affair......................

The teacher is a nusery school teacher and married, her son is a close friend of my son, hence they had been out all day under her supervision.I trust her totally! And yes I am an ex teacher.

" Thai smile a thing of wonder"?

I would rather say: "Thai smile, a thing to wonder about"!

I agree. Thai smiles, emulates being at variance with what is right, proper, or suitable or should say' perverse as to what benefit they can make from this wry smile of so-called emotion. Very much in comparison with the kiss of death ......

cheesy.gif

OP, just keep saying "cheese" to yourself when you meet another Thai.

You can't go wrong.

Just out of curiosity, is the teacher fit?

Just came out of a love affair......................

The teacher is a nusery school teacher and married, her son is a close friend of my son, hence they had been out all day under her supervision.I trust her totally! And yes I am an ex teacher.

Hey buhi,

You told me everything else except what I asked you for.

Concentrate teacher, concentrate.

• Like 1

and the point is???

Costas is on heat

Nah! he is just in season, like any many men in Spring time! After a long hard winter or seeing women with nothing but long trousers, jackets and perhaps even hats and scarfs come Spring, out come the girlies in nice shorts skirts, low cut tops, lowing their charms..yeah he is in Season, smelling P*ssy from a mile off..even on Thai Visa..yep he is like a tiger lion he eats, sleeps, f*cks and lets his women bring him the food! cheesy.gif

and the point is???

Costas is on heat

Nah! he is just in season, like any many men in Spring time! After a long hard winter or seeing women with nothing but long trousers, jackets and perhaps even hats and scarfs come Spring, out come the girlies in nice shorts skirts, low cut tops, lowing their charms..yeah he is in Season, smelling P*ssy from a mile off..even on Thai Visa..yep he is like a tiger lion he eats, sleeps, f*cks and lets his women bring him the food! cheesy.gif

Wake up, look around, this is the northern hemisphere.

"So what makes us all Thais? What is the Thai identity? Ask a Thai and there are certain expected answers. Cliches, if you will.

A typical answer may be that it's our smile. Well, everybody in the world including the village idiot can smile. And, on the world happiness index, we rank quite low. So it's just a marketing gimmick to attract tourists, not an issue of national identity. At least is shouldn't be."

Voranai Vanijaka, Thai writer and journalist

• Like 1

I choose to think it has to do with the traditional Thai view of the world, via spiritism, Hinduism and Buddhism. In all of these, the individual is only a bit of the universal picture - effectively, we're not only all in this together, we are the same stuff. The smile is a gesture of openness, and acknowledges this non-difference.

So, even if she says 'no," even if that aggressive driver almost hit me, or the merchant wants to steal my money, that smile acknowledges that we're basically all the same, little bits of a bigger consciousness.

This attitude helps me get cope with a lot of stupid and annoying behavior!

I choose to think it has to do with the traditional Thai view of the world, via spiritism, Hinduism and Buddhism. In all of these, the individual is only a bit of the universal picture - effectively, we're not only all in this together, we are the same stuff. The smile is a gesture of openness, and acknowledges this non-difference.

So, even if she says 'no," even if that aggressive driver almost hit me, or the merchant wants to steal my money, that smile acknowledges that we're basically all the same, little bits of a bigger consciousness.

This attitude helps me get cope with a lot of stupid and annoying behavior!

Yes I would look like an absolute idiot back in the West as I now instictively smile, but no way like my wife, she just does it!

I love the way that Thai girls pass me and smile like they know me really well and I have no idea who they are. I have lived in Chiang Mai a long time, so lot of them actually do know me from teaching a long time ago or from bars or from my business, but plenty have never seen me before. I like it, but it is confusing. Mai penh rai.