Nursing Homes In Thailand

egeefay

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just had a major search on the Nursing Homes in Thailand and I do not really think there is any catering for Farangs

Amazing considering that there are 20,000 Brits retired in Thailand.

I think there is a business oppertunity to address this.

I would be interested if anyone is thinking of setting one up.

Edited by dacah

It's a good question, but as far as I'm aware, the answer is no.

A year or so ago I was asked to participate in some discussions with a property developer here who was considering the development of one or more nursing homes in Thailand. At the time, they said there were none at all.

After a brief, unfocused, and remarkably superficial examination of the possibility, the Thai property company dismissed the idea. They concluded that there was no market because Thais would never put their parents in nursing homes. I suggested that that might be at least a small market among foreigners, but no one else agreed.

That is interesting. I have always wondered why the Thai government doesn't promote some kind of scheme for retirement communities for foreigners. It would be a cash cow:

Steady flow of retirement income to Thailand

Steady employment for Thais servicing the community, Construction, property, nurses, doctors, misc. supplies, etc.

Steady flow of income from those visiting relatives

.etc & .etc.

From the Thai point of view the beauty of it all is that these people are not leaving behind any dependents, so there is no threat that these retirees will take over Thailand.

The key would be the health care angle. In the US most people in urban areas take it for granted that EMS services will be there within minutes in the case of an emergency, so they are not going to want to retire to a community where they will be lucky to be bundled into the back of a TukTuk when they have a heart attack. An ideal community here would thus be built around an existing or purpose-built first class medical facility with an EMS program to offer the same type of emergency care to residents. I think we will see it sooner or later, but it requires some guts on the part of the developers and some thinking on the part of the government. The latter factor is probably the toughest hurdle.

Guest RealEstateBroker

A year or so ago I was asked to participate in some discussions with a property developer here who was considering the development of one or more nursing homes in Thailand. At the time, they said there were none at all.

After a brief, unfocused, and remarkably superficial examination of the possibility, the Thai property company dismissed the idea. They concluded that there was no market because Thais would never put their parents in nursing homes. I suggested that that might be at least a small market among foreigners, but no one else agreed.

That is interesting. I have always wondered why the Thai government doesn't promote some kind of scheme for retirement communities for foreigners. It would be a cash cow:

Steady flow of retirement income to Thailand

Steady employment for Thais servicing the community, Construction, property, nurses, doctors, misc. supplies, etc.

Steady flow of income from those visiting relatives

.etc & .etc.

From the Thai point of view the beauty of it all is that these people are not leaving behind any dependents, so there is no threat that these retirees will take over Thailand.

The key would be the health care angle. In the US most people in urban areas take it for granted that EMS services will be there within minutes in the case of an emergency, so they are not going to want to retire to a community where they will be lucky to be bundled into the back of a TukTuk when they have a heart attack. An ideal community here would thus be built around an existing or purpose-built first class medical facility with an EMS program to offer the same type of emergency care to residents. I think we will see it sooner or later, but it requires some guts on the part of the developers and some thinking on the part of the government. The latter factor is probably the toughest hurdle.

I have a company in Thailand just for this reason. The past goverment and the current goverment

seem to be very unhappy with our plans. We have been told by the Thai lawyer ( big company) we

use to "back off" for awhile. I will keep you posted if you PM me, the location is in Jomtien.

• 5 months later...

I am the orginal poster of this inquiry about nursing homes in Thailand

Since I first posted the inquiry last year a lot has happened.

My thai mother-in-law now requires weekly kidney dialysis. (diabetes) She needs daily monitoring of her blood and diet. And because she can no longer move around she has to be fed, bathed and diaper changed

We all felt that taking care of her at home was out of the question since she needs round the clock monitoring and much more care than any of her children could provide.

So when we went to Thailand last December we began looking for a nursing home in earnest.

We went to Google Thailand and were able to find references to different nursing homes on the Thai version.

We visited Golden Years and two other homes.

In the end we opted for a nursing home in Bangkok. The patients are all housed in one large room (on for men and one for women). The rooms are bright and air conditioned. There is always a nurse on each floor as well as orderlies. The doctor comes by once in the morning and once in the evening to visit each patient.

We've dropped in for visits unannounced and there always seems to be staff members working with patients.

The place seems clean and well run.

We've had the mother in law there for 5 months now and she is actually getting better. She speaks well of the staff and they seem to like her.

The doctor took her off a lot of the medications she was taking while in the hospital and she has started to eat solid food again (after being on a feeding tube for a month). She is started in do a little exercise out of bed with a walker.

More importantly they seem to have her blood monitored.

They don't perform kidney dialysis there so once a week an ambulance from a local hospital picks her up and takes her for her treatments and then brings her back.

All in all we are happy with her treatment though the cost is a little steep for thais

Her nurising home bill is 24,000 baht a month including food and care

Her medications run about 2000 baht a month

Her kidney dialysis runs about 24,000 per month (3000 baht including 1000 bath for the ambulance to take her to and from her appointment...6 times a month)

All totaled her monthly stay costs between 50,000-60,000 baht...which is more than most Thais earn each month

We are not sure how long she will live under these conditions..but it could be for years (she's 85 years old now)

The one drawback is that she doesn't have much quality of life. Family can only visit her occasionally and so she's pretty much there by herself. The other patients seem to be mostly coma patients or people "near the end" so she doesn't have much socialization other than with the staff.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone else who has had a similar experience with nursing homes in Thailand.

I have no one to compare notes with

Edited by egeefay

• 1 year later...

Well it's now 2009 and I'm wondering if the elderly care accommodation situation in Thailand has changed much. In particular I would be interested to hear of any that have staged accommodation in the one location, as per the Australian model:

stage 1. independant living units

stage 2. hostel accomm with all meals provided

stage 3. nursing home with medical staff on hand

Things may be changing. Here's an article from the NATION entitled "Ageing populace strains families"

http://nationmultimedia.com/2006/07/15/opi...on_30008758.php

It suggests that , in the future, Thais may not be able to depend on their families for support in their golden years

Many thanks for posting that. It was a remarkably thoughtful and well-written piece, a nice change from the predictable axes at which the Nation histerically grinds most days.

It's good to see a local newspaper spending a little ink on urging Thais to reflect rationallly and do at least a little planning for a changing future. Of course, the chances of that actually happening are effectively zero. Sadly, it's just not part of the local character.

to make a long story short; 2 options;

1) kids send their parents some money each month, as it is now

2) the government takes more then what they would send and the parents get a ridiculous small portion of it

please, don't let them make the same mistakes as in the west

all those social programs always sound good, but in reality they don't work, they're just a waste of money ... live and let die!

Well it's now 2009 and I'm wondering if the elderly care accommodation situation in Thailand has changed much. In particular I would be interested to hear of any that have staged accommodation in the one location, as per the Australian model:

I wouldn't say that it is an 'Australian model', but I know what you are saying. I am currently involved in some consultation work in developing such a model. Funnily enough, we had almost got to the point of proceeding with our proposed model with the benefit of some overseas investors, but the airport closures put a big wet blanket over it. Hopefully, we will get this project going again in the coming months, as it certainly has some value.

I wouldn't say that it is an 'Australian model', but I know what you are saying. I am currently involved in some consultation work in developing such a model. Funnily enough, we had almost got to the point of proceeding with our proposed model with the benefit of some overseas investors, but the airport closures put a big wet blanket over it. Hopefully, we will get this project going again in the coming months, as it certainly has some value.

The trend in Australia is now to keep the elderly in their own homes for as long as possible, by providing services that they need - people will only be moved into nursing homes as a last resort.

The trend in Australia is now to keep the elderly in their own homes for as long as possible, by providing services that they need - people will only be moved into nursing homes as a last resort.

You are correct,in saying that community care is normally the preferred option. The interesting part is stage 1, which ineffect is actually keeping people in their own homes. In the UK, Macarthy Stone have pioneered this model, with great success, and are also able to offer stage 2 as well, in affect a residential care package, in the persons own home "yes, they own it", so they don't end up draining all their money paying for some crappy residential home.

The Nursing home option, as you correctly stated is, and should always be the last option. Nursing home options in Thailand are limited, with probably Golden Years, being the premium provider in Bangkok, although in comparison to providers such as BUPA and Barchester (UK based), there facilities and lay are pretty archaic. There are other Nursing homes in Bangkok, but their facilities and nursing/care models date back do to the dark ages.

Like someone has already mentioned, Thais rarely put their parents in a home, so there are only a few of them. And the majorities are for short period, says a few weeks. I don't think there is any place that you can put your folks there so long as they still live.

Actually, I'm not sure if you want a nursing home for your relatives or looking for business investments. If you want to find a place for elders, below are the links.

http://www.goldenyears.co.th/aboutus/home-eng.html

http://www.hospihouse.com/eng/project.html

for business investment

http://www.thailongstay.co.th/en/profile/c_service.php

I've visited Hospihouse in Sena last year to take information, the rental prices for an house near the lake 2 bed/bathroom was about 25000 bath a month. The surrounding was very nice,and health care was available. But they had small single houses for about 12000 Baht, very modern and fully furnished, with cable TV and Internet. The compound was excellent maintained.

but there was one very big disadvantage. Its was really upcountry and very remote, no village or town in the neighbourhood.

The same in Flanders, the Flemish government established many kinds of home assistance, Nursing, give a bath cleaning, laundry , ironing ,cooking at home, shopping assistance, meals on wheels to name only a few given services. The elderly are paying this services depending in the their income.

Its organized by the local welfare office who get subsidized by the Flemish government.

Does anybody have experience about what happen to old foreigners who have lost all contacts / family links with their home country and who are rejected by their Thai "family" once their partner disappear ?

There is, or used to be, a charity in Hong Kong running a home for destitute aged foreigners, it was called "China Coast Community". A chap I worked with who settled in Hong Kong, lost all his money after retiring, is now kept alive only by charity from his Masonic Lodge.

I would imagine that old destitute foreigners in Thailand would be pretty badly off, of course there is even less social support in Thailand than there is in Hong Kong. Maybe they could seek refuge in a temple.

I would really hate to be old, alone, and poor anywhere in Asia, frankly. Something that certain posters who encourage people of limited means to retire in Thailand should give more weight to.

Does anybody have experience about what happen to old foreigners who have lost all contacts / family links with their home country and who are rejected by their Thai "family" once their partner disappear ?

There is, or used to be, a charity in Hong Kong running a home for destitute aged foreigners, it was called "China Coast Community". A chap I worked with who settled in Hong Kong, lost all his money after retiring, is now kept alive only by charity from his Masonic Lodge.

I would imagine that old destitute foreigners in Thailand would be pretty badly off, of course there is even less social support in Thailand than there is in Hong Kong. Maybe they could seek refuge in a temple.

I would really hate to be old, alone, and poor anywhere in Asia, frankly. Something that certain posters who encourage people of limited means to retire in Thailand should give more weight to.

Funny you talk of Hong Kong. Actually one of my "ex" used to work for such a charity in HK, taking care of old French people rejected by their local relatives once their wife has disappeared, that what make me ask this question.

Last week I was driving near this bar lost in the middle of nowhere. There are always a couple of old foreigners hanging out there, they serve the cheapest beer in the neighborhood. I was wondering what will happen to them if one day they can't get out of bed by themselves ?

A year or so ago I was asked to participate in some discussions with a property developer here who was considering the development of one or more nursing homes in Thailand. At the time, they said there were none at all. I suggested that that might be at least a small market among foreigners, but no one else agreed.

An ideal community here would thus be built around an existing or purpose-built first class medical facility with an EMS program to offer the same type of emergency care to residents. I think we will see it sooner or later, but it requires some guts on the part of the developers and some thinking on the part of the government. The latter factor is probably the toughest hurdle.

good joke in a previous post. 'isn't that Pattaya?'

To be serious, it is foreign governments who could save money by 'farming out' elder care. Canada cuts off medicare to anyone who is out of the country for more than 6 months, or more than 2 years in a 5 year period.

It would be a cash cow to ask for 'volunteers' to retire in Thailand and work with the Thai government in funding a 'program'. Canada could save millions per year by extending the health care, instead of cutting it off.

1000 Bhat PER WEEK!!! 200B 5 days per week. That is what the wife's family is paying for an experienced caretaker to live in with their mother,[Yai]. This is FULL care, meals, potty, bathing, medicines. Lodging is 'free' at the new house of one of the sons. The caretaker and food expenses is about $300 per month Canadian, my wife pays 1/2.

The Canadian govt would be SMART to work with the Thai government to 'allow' Canuck elder homes.

Let's take a wild guess that it is costing 10k per senior per over here for the Govt. If it could cost 1k per month over there, and if they could find volunteers who would go over there, the savings would be huge.

Edited by eggomaniac

Then they'll stay in bed for a couple of days.

:D

Thanks Heng. Suddenly I feel much safer knowing you're around :o

Seriously, a number of us are retired, or close to it. One day we may not be able to decide for ourself, what's going to happen ? Have you any plan ? Or is it something you prefer not to think about ?

A while ago people were talking about how much money you need to retire in Thailand. A roof, food, a beer from time to time ... not much .... The good thing where I come from (Europe) is if I get sick, they take care of me first and then later they will try to make me pay for the service. Here it doesn't really work this way. Same question, have you any plan ? Or is it something you prefer not to think about ?

Canada cuts off medicare to anyone who is out of the country for more than 6 months, or more than 2 years in a 5 year period.

It would be a cash cow to ask for 'volunteers' to retire in Thailand and work with the Thai government in funding a 'program'. Canada could save millions per year by extending the health care, instead of cutting it off.

1000 Bhat PER WEEK!!! 200B 5 days per week. That is what the wife's family is paying for an experienced caretaker to live in with their mother,[Yai]. This is FULL care, meals, potty, bathing, medicines. Lodging is 'free' at the new house of one of the sons. The caretaker and food expenses is about $300 per month Canadian, my wife pays 1/2.

The Canadian govt would be SMART to work with the Thai government to 'allow' Canuck elder homes.

Let's take a wild guess that it is costing 10k per senior per over here for the Govt. If it could cost 1k per month over there, and if they could find volunteers who would go over there, the savings would be huge.

Not feasible.

Medicare is a provincial matter in Canada. Each province sets its own rules. The reason "medicare" is cut off, is that once you are out of the country, you can avoid paying taxes. Medicare is funded by the general taxpayers. In Canada, the majority of personal income tax is paid by the "wealthy" due to the progressive scheme. Currently, 10% of the population pays about 55% of the personal income tax collected. (The "poor" usually fall below the minimums and pay no tax, and even receive quarterly guaranteed GST (VAT) rebate checques, even though they may not have even spent such money, and the "middle class" do not have the tax burden that everyone thinks they do.) Certain provinces also impose medicare supplemental taxes. For example, in Ontario if you earn less than $20,000. you are exempt. If you earn $80,000. you pay $900. The result is that the majority of people that would consider relocating to a foreign country for such a scheme would be drawn out of the taxpaying pool. If the provinces were not collecting tax revenues, then there would be no means to pay for the services rendered. More importantly, many provinces are poor and the general population would not support a scheme that might benefit only a few hundred people at best.) Throw in the public service unions position on job security and any provincial government advocating such a plan would lose its next election.

The bottom line is that the people that would consider the option are usually the people that could afford to pay for it on their own anyway and that have private care in Canada.) The Canadian taxpayers cannot be expected to fund someone's retirement living in a foreign country.

Edited by geriatrickid

Seriously, a number of us are retired, or close to it. One day we may not be able to decide for ourself, what's going to happen ? Have you any plan ? Or is it something you prefer not to think about ?

A while ago people were talking about how much money you need to retire in Thailand. A roof, food, a beer from time to time ... not much .... The good thing where I come from (Europe) is if I get sick, they take care of me first and then later they will try to make me pay for the service. Here it doesn't really work this way. Same question, have you any plan ? Or is it something you prefer not to think about ?

Pierrot............Actually I have given the question of what to do when I become old and unable to care for myself.

If at some point along the way I become a vegetable and cannot care for myself, I have requested that my wife quit giving me my blood pressure medication. That should solve the problem of someone changing my diaper etc.

Now that event could occur in the next 20 years or so but I doubt it as my siblings both died in their sleep and my father died from a heart attack. My mother lived with my wife and I for her last 5 years of life. She lived to be 96 and died in the hospital after 12 hr. stay. Took care of herself up to the end and had a better memory than my wife or I.

I just turned 75 and don't see needing assistance for a long time. Get a complete physical every 2 years or so and so far doing well with the exception of high blood pressure (which I have had for 30+years) and arthritis which is not uncommon for someone my age.

If somewhere along the way I get disabled so I cannot get around my wife and housekeeper could take care of me. If I'm in diapers and slobbering I would rather be out of here, like wake up dead one morning.

It's all about quality of life, if there isn't any I don't want to be here.

Pierrot............Actually I have given the question of what to do when I become old and unable to care for myself.

If at some point along the way I become a vegetable and cannot care for myself, I have requested that my wife quit giving me my blood pressure medication. That should solve the problem of someone changing my diaper etc.

Now that event could occur in the next 20 years or so but I doubt it as my siblings both died in their sleep and my father died from a heart attack. My mother lived with my wife and I for her last 5 years of life. She lived to be 96 and died in the hospital after 12 hr. stay. Took care of herself up to the end and had a better memory than my wife or I.

I just turned 75 and don't see needing assistance for a long time. Get a complete physical every 2 years or so and so far doing well with the exception of high blood pressure (which I have had for 30+years) and arthritis which is not uncommon for someone my age.

If somewhere along the way I get disabled so I cannot get around my wife and housekeeper could take care of me. If I'm in diapers and slobbering I would rather be out of here, like wake up dead one morning.

You're absolutely right, it's all about quality of life. And I want to enjoy it as long as I'm around. A bit of planning doesn’t cost much, does it ?

Here it doesn't really work this way. Same question, have you any plan ? Or is it something you prefer not to think about ?

Well the way it works around many households (not just here but in many places in the world) is that each senior family member holds onto their assets until they get as close to dying as possible while still remaining coherent enough to create a will. That way, every relevant family member junior to them has to cater to them until they die, in hopes of getting a cut I suppose. Of course, some create their wills ahead of time, hoping the results of which will be enough for some 'credit' for care until they die.

Ah, and of course everyone instead calls it 'duty, honor, tradition, handing over the reins, etc.' to make it sound better.

But seriously, at age 33, I have yet to plan for my future vegetative state, but I do have enough assets to take care of myself, and they are still growing. As for management of said assets, hopefully my children or perhaps nieces and/or nephews will be good enough to take care of me and add to the pool of assets themselves to pass down to their children. It's no different than the locals you see buying powdered milk and diapers for their kids, or the ones sending money home to their parents.... although for my family, of course no postal money orders are involved. My needs are simple: lots of cute nurses, natural sponges, and soapy water... they don't even have to be registered nurses as long as they have the uniforms.

I thought and still think about it. its was one of my big concerns before I made the decision of moving to Thailand because nothing is more terrible than to be old-sick- poor-alone and living in a strange country.

Also because moving also meaning I loose my Medicare even they still deduct it from my pension.

That's why took an private hospital insurance from DKV where I was already a client in Belgium. Only its cost me twice as much with less coverage(only 25 000 Euro) another reason why the Thai Baht rate is very important.

My wife told me not to worry because my stepchildren will take good care of me. But I know life and things can change. So I set some capital aside that I will not touch.

I think Expats who don't do like that could face some very heavy problems when things go wrong.

The last resort is going back, because if I do so, I can immedeatly benefit from the health care and benefits for the elderly again.

I would like to know from other retirees how they prepare themselves for old age like 80+ and are in need of help when they become a widower.

People who make cranky jokes about taking a young p+++y in the house are friendly requested to abstain themselves from comments.

I thought and still think about it. its was one of my big concerns before I made the decision of moving to Thailand because nothing is more terrible than to be old-sick- poor-alone and living in a strange country.

Also because moving also meaning I loose my Medicare even they still deduct it from my pension.

That's why took an private hospital insurance from DKV where I was already a client in Belgium. Only its cost me twice as much with less coverage(only 25 000 Euro) another reason why the Thai Baht rate is very important.

My wife told me not to worry because my stepchildren will take good care of me. But I know life and things can change. So I set some capital aside that I will not touch.

I think Expats who don't do like that could face some very heavy problems when things go wrong.

The last resort is going back, because if I do so, I can immedeatly benefit from the health care and benefits for the elderly again.

I would like to know from other retirees how they prepare themselves for old age like 80+ and are in need of help when they become a widower.

People who make cranky jokes about taking a young p+++y in the house are friendly requested to abstain themselves from comments.

Henry, I think you make some good points. I am actually interested in this subject, as I am involved in an ongoing project to develop an elder care home concept / outreach service, similar to a couple of start up projects that I have consulted on in the UK

I believe that with the right concept, there is some merit to providing a service for a certain sector of the population.

Henry, I think you make some good points. I am actually interested in this subject, as I am involved in an ongoing project to develop an elder care home concept / outreach service, similar to a couple of start up projects that I have consulted on in the UK

I believe that with the right concept, there is some merit to providing a service for a certain sector of the population.

Please keep us informed.

A couple of years ago I was in Phuket and met Larry Cunningham of Phuket One Real Estate. He introduced me to another Australian (whose name I don't recall) who was building a development a couple of beaches along from Patong. This was aimed at older folks but from memory was more an 'independant living' type of thing, rather than a full-blown nursing home facility. Building of stage 1 was well-advanced when I was there, but not sure what has happened since. Maybe one of the Phuket residents has heard of this one (?)

Of course, a good medical insurance, enough saving for the rainy days is important.

But you also need to have someone checking on you. If you don't show up at lunch time, someone who's going to see what's going on. I know TV is a commercial venture, but what about if some registered guest doesn't log before lunch time, someone else is going to check what's going on?

I don't know, just an idea ....

a friend's Thai girl friend is a nurse. she and another provide 24hr care to a "senior" citizen from the states. The family found it was cheaper to rent to houses here, side by side, employ two nurses to look after the person in question. nurses stay in one house, oldy in the other and the family fly out ever other month etc for a visit.

apparently this is a lot cheaper than any level of service and care even remotely the same in the US anb that inlcudes them renting two houses, full time care and the families flights here

Also i know a couple of older guys who stay in rented serviced apartments, too old and frail to want to go home, they rent serviced apartments, hire two nurses (one male one female) to come and bed bath, feed him take him out when he wants to go out in his electric buggy. at night they help him to bed, one stay s until he falls asleep, and one is back at his room early in the morning waiting for him to wake up. Its not a perfect scenario for him but a hel_l of a lot less expensive, but still gets great care from registered and experienced nurses. has no complaints and says as long as he can get out a couple of times a week he's happy, has swimming pool at apartment and close to the beach. nurses help him with his exercises at the pool, and make sure he gets the right medication.

• 3 months later...
I did a search on the internet for Nursing or convalescent homes in Thailand but didn't find much.

Does anyone know if there are any nursing homes that cater to elderly foreign patients in Thailand?

Nursing homes in the United States run upwards of $3000 baht a month...and thats just for a semi private room and only custodial care. Facilities that offer Skilled Nursing care are much more expensive. It only takes a couple of years to deplete a lifetime of savings.

I'm sure $3000 a month can get you a lot more than a semi private room in a nice hospital in Bangkok

or a nursing home...if there is such a thing

Thanks Heng. Suddenly I feel much safer knowing you're around :)

You're absolutely right, it's all about quality of life. And I want to enjoy it as long as I'm around. A bit of planning doesn't cost much, does it ?